is asparagus good? i need recipes

Replies

• heh7370
    heh7370 Posts: 23 Member
    Cut the asparagus up into 1 inch pieces. In a baking dish put in some large diced red potatoes, olive oil, salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme, and tons of fresh sliced garlic. Go crazy with the garlic. It puts hair on your chest. Roast it in the oven until the potatoes are mostly cooked. Toss in the asparagus and a little more oil and put it back in the oven for another 8-10 minutes.
  • Rainboots80
    Rainboots80 Posts: 218 Member
    I like to sauté it in butter with a little garlic salt
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    It has to be crunchy and slightly golden, if it is soggy it could choke you to death when you eat it.
  • corinneselene
    corinneselene Posts: 306 Member
    Actually having asparagus tonight and had them last week.

Last weeks recipe:

10 asparagus stalks separated into 2 bunches of 5
    wrapped each much in roasted turkey breast (just what i had on hand)
    drizzled some olive oil, sea salt, pepper
    baked it on 350 till the turkey looked as though it was getting crisp
    added an over easy egg on top

Tonights dinner:
    1/2 zucchini put through spirulizer
    1 clove garlic sliced
    2 tsp olive oil
    1 cup asparagus
    1 egg
    sliced scallions

cook asparagus in boiling water about 3-5 minutes till tender. remove and run under cold water. Poach the egg. in hot pan, add 2 tsp olive oil. saute garlic and red chili flakes. add asparagus and zucchini noodles. remove from pan and place poached egg on top with some scallions, salt, and pepper
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Roasting with oil and herbs is good.
    Boiling is vile.
  • CarolinkaCjj
    CarolinkaCjj Posts: 622 Member
    Steamed but not too long. Or baked/roasted with parmesan cheese - yum.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    I love asparagus. I just through it in the microwave and steam it. My microwave has a setting for correctly timing the cooking for fresh and frozen vegetables.
  • chericyl
    chericyl Posts: 1
    My wife has made a dish similar to this recipe. Simple and very tasty.

Ingredients:
    1- 1/2 lbs jumbo or extra-large asparagus, trimmed
    2- 1/4 Tbs butter, melted, divided
    2 oz fresh white goat cheese, crumbled into bits (about 1/2-cup)
    1/2 cup fresh, white breadcrumbs

Directions:
    Coat asparagus spears with 1-1/2 tablespoons melted butter, then salt lightly. Arrange in an oven-to-table shallow baking dish large enough to hold the asparagus in 1 layer. Evenly distribute cheese bits over asparagus, then sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Drizzle remaining 1 tablespoon melted butter over breadcrumbs. Bake at 400º F. until asparagus is tender-crisp and the breadcrumbs lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
  • Grizabella68
    Grizabella68 Posts: 2 Member
    I like to eat it for breakfast (I try to eat veges at every meal). Grilled or roasted or steamed, and then topped with one or two poached eggs. The egg yolks become a yummy sauce for the asparagus. Also good for lunch or dinner!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    I like to eat it for breakfast (I try to eat veges at every meal). Grilled or roasted or steamed, and then topped with one or two poached eggs. The egg yolks become a yummy sauce for the asparagus. Also good for lunch or dinner!

Yes gorgeous dipped in a runny eggyolk!
  • SquidVonBob
    SquidVonBob Posts: 290 Member
    No asparagus is not good. There are only two vegetable I dislike and that is one of them. :sick:
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    No asparagus is not good. There are only two vegetable I dislike and that is one of them. :sick:

Your opinion. ONLY.
  • Nickih4619093
    Nickih4619093 Posts: 91 Member
    I roll bundles of three in prosciutto slices and drizzle with olive oil & balsamic and sprinkle with some garlic. Broil in the oven for 8 min or so. Then fry a soft yolk egg and serve on top. One of my absolute favourite things for breakfast! Comes in at around three hundred calories. Don't forget to break off the woody base of the asparagus before cooking, it's too tough to eat. Enjoy!
  • ECTexan
    ECTexan Posts: 195 Member
    I love mine steamed with just a sprinkle of Molly McButter.
  • deb54
    deb54 Posts: 270 Member
    Love this stuff !!! I take asparagus, Baby Bella's, salt, pepper, garlic , minced and garlic powder and enough EVOO to marinate and place in a large zip-lock bag ... Leave in fridge for 2-4 hrs... I place in a grill proof pan and grill until done ... Or place in jelly roll pan and roast on 450 until crisp ...
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Asparagus is wonderful I don't know where you live but if you have a Fareway close it's on sale right now for either $1.49 or $.99 a pound. I have 2 stores both 15 miles away and both are different sale prices. I buy it as often as I can afford but this is the absolute cheapest I have ever seen it. It's usually around $3.50 or $4.00 a pound.
    I won't bother with a recipe. You have plenty.

I just got 2.5 pounds at Costco for $2.99. Guess what's for dinner!
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    i have never tried apparagus, and want to buy some this weekend. what does the taste remind you of? broccoli maybe? lol anyways how do you make yours? raw? cooked? ideas please :)
    The texture reminds me of fresh green beans or the STALK of broccoli (not the "leaves")...cooked correctly, it's still pretty crisp...but the taste is really kind of unique. I *LIKE* it but I only ever think of it as "asparagus", it's not a "tastes like chicken" type food to me anyhow.

I've never tried it raw so can't comment there. I think it's good steamed with some salt or seasoned salt. I seen recipes where's it wrapped in bacon (or turkey bacon). I don't eat it a whole lot because I'm the only one in my fam who enjoys it. :grumble:
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Oddly enough we're having it tonight. Just tossed with oil and salt/pepper and oven roasted. We got 2lbs of it. Can't believe how expensive it is.
  • deb54
    deb54 Posts: 270 Member
    Oddly enough we're having it tonight. Just tossed with oil and salt/pepper and oven roasted. We got 2lbs of it. Can't believe how expensive it is.

Try adding garlic powder ... YUM !!!
  • I love making asparagus by just sprinkling a little olive oil on them and a little salt and throwing them in the oven for 20 minutes. Perfect, roasted asparagus!