Why do people cut cardio when lifting weights?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
I keep seeing people post that they cut cardio when they started lifting weights... Why? If you're going to eat more to compensate for the cardio calories, why does it matter if you cut it? I'd like to understand.. I'm talking about people who are trying to lose weight too. I would think being able to eat more to make up for the cardio would be nice.

Replies

• giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I cut cardio because lifting is freaking exhausting, and I found I didn't need it to lose weight.
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I was JUST thinking about this because I had my RMR tested and the trainer suggested that I start lifting to gain more muscle and cut back on the cardio. He suggested this because I, personally, am burning more sugar than fat. He wants to flip that so I burn more fat than sugars and to do that I can do cardio, but it won't get me to where I need to be. I also need to be at below 164 bpm to burn fat...as my heart rate goes up, my ration of fat to sugars flips. I don't know if that means I HAVE to reduce cardio...but at this point I'm in good shape so unless I'm training for a marathon for endurance I can cut back and just FOCUS more on the weights. I don't think I really answered your question, but just wanted to let you know I'm also sort of wondering why. Maybe once I build up more muscle I can kick in the cardio again to help lose some of the extra lbs. I do want to change my body comp and know that weights/resistance is the only thing that will do that from having done it in the past.
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Personally, I found that cardio made me super hungry. I can burn the same amount of calories doing weight lifting and it doesn't increase my appetite, for some reason.

Also, running 10K after I just busted my butt lifting 20000lbs is not exactly my idea of fun! :tongue:
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    I was JUST thinking about this because I had my RMR tested and the trainer suggested that I start lifting to gain more muscle and cut back on the cardio. He suggested this because I, personally, am burning more sugar than fat. He wants to flip that so I burn more fat than sugars and to do that I can do cardio, but it won't get me to where I need to be. I also need to be at below 164 bpm to burn fat...as my heart rate goes up, my ration of fat to sugars flips. I don't know if that means I HAVE to reduce cardio...but at this point I'm in good shape so unless I'm training for a marathon for endurance I can cut back and just FOCUS more on the weights. I don't think I really answered your question, but just wanted to let you know I'm also sort of wondering why. Maybe once I build up more muscle I can kick in the cardio again to help lose some of the extra lbs. I do want to change my body comp and know that weights/resistance is the only thing that will do that from having done it in the past.

I have many many questions to ask but first fat to sugars or sugars to fat....what is he speaking of?
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

Fat loss is based solely on a calorie deficit. It's true that when you do cardio at a lower heart rate that a higher percentage of your calorie burn comes from stored fat, but that's inconsequential when it comes to fat loss because it makes no difference, all that matters for fat loss at the end of the day is what your deficit for the day is. The reason for this is that any stored carbohydrates burned from cardio will be replenished next time you eat carbohydrates whereas if your stored carbs (glycogen) is already full because you burned stored fat, next time you eat carbs it will be stored as fat instead.
  • SwampWitch666
    SwampWitch666 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I was curious about this too!
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure HOW to explain it. Obviously a deficit is a deficit and one will lose weight if doing so either through diet, exercise, or diet AND exercise. I think he was just saying that my body is stressed and burning sugars/carbs vs the fat it SHOULD be burning at certain heart rates. So he wants to condition me to where I can work hard with keeping my HR down so I stay in the fat burning zones more often and see better results in losing body fat. So basically all I have to do is do HIIT until my conditioning gets better and then I can do more work without getting out of the optimal fat burning zones...hence losing BF and building lean mass to increase my metabolism to also allow my body to keep burning long after the workout. I am no expert by any means, but just trying to pass on what was told to me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    There are a number of reasons why one would cut back on cardio if they're lifting...

- If you're doing a heavy program, you're going to be pretty spent after your lifting session...if you're not then you're doing it wrong. I can do some light cardio after a lifting session, but nothing too crazy...some time on the elliptical or something but I'm not getting out and riding 30 miles or doing a 10K or anything like that.

- Much of the benefit of lifting comes with rest and excessive exercise in addition to your lifting can interfere with recovery and hinder strength and/or hypertrophy gains.

- risk of over-train injury

- someone in a bulk has to eat a lot to begin with...even more if they're doing a bunch of cardio...for some people, consistently eating a boat load of food day in and day out just isn't practical...so they cut back on cardio in order to lower their calorie requirements for a solid bulk.

- If you're training for an event or something, excessive exercise can actually be counter productive to your goals and training, so you would balance out your lifting with cardio rather than just trying to do everything.

- balanced fitness regimen

The list goes on and on.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    I don't like cardio, so when I started lifting weights I could eat more and still not do cardio.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I don't like cardio, so when I started lifting weights I could eat more and still not do cardio.

this
  • Mercedespony
    Mercedespony Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut cardio completely, because I still need to lose another 10 lbs..
    but I have definitely slowed down on the cardio -taken out a day-, I am also completely exhausted after a weight lifting session.
    I've got nothing left, and sleep like a dog at night!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Ok I get not doing cardio just after, but if you only lift 3x a week, why not?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options
    Yeah, nothing wrong with doing both.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

because I don't like cardio that's why not.

For those who like cardio and still cut it out partially it's because they are tired the day of lifting and the day after then they are lifting again...when you are lifting esp compound lifts you are drained...not just immediately after...but sometimes even the day after.

that's like asking I know you don't like broccoli but it's good for you why not eat it...
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I want to adapt to be good at lifting and building muscle, not adapt to being good at cardio. Cardio in small doses is fine, but if your spending more time doing cardio than weights then what is your body adapting to
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Basically be burn more body fat when oxygen is present, and cardio with a threshold of about 65 VO2 max will be considered aerobic using oxygen to facilitate ATP (energy) Weight training is in the absence of oxygen called anaerobic and uses mainly glycogen (glucose) but for some reason people believe that this somehow burns more overall body fat, which isn't true. Daily caloric deficit dictates fat loss, period.

Worrying about how much fat is used in a cardio session makes as much sense as worrying how much muscle is built in a weight resistance session.
  • neanderthin
    Options

For those who like cardio and still cut it out partially it's because they are tired the day of lifting and the day after then they are lifting again...when you are lifting esp compound lifts you are drained...not just immediately after...but sometimes even the day after.

that's like asking I know you don't like broccoli but it's good for you why not eat it...
    I wouldn't take it personally, some people do do both.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Basically be burn more body fat when oxygen is present, and cardio with a threshold of about 65 VO2 max will be considered aerobic using oxygen to facilitate ATP (energy) Weight training is in the absence of oxygen called anaerobic and uses mainly glycogen (glucose) but for some reason people believe that this somehow burns more overall body fat, which isn't true. Daily caloric deficit dictates fat loss, period.

Worrying about how much fat is used in a cardio session makes as much sense as worrying how much muscle is built in a weight resistance session.

I lift and I know that the resistence training is for body comp not burning fat...cardio is for heart and lung health...
    If you choose lifting over cardio it's because you want fat loss not muscle loss...while in that deficet.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

I wouldn't take it personally, some people do do both.

Yup...I do HIIT 2x a week...but wouldn't even consider running 5k on my off days...hate the thought of that...so boring.

Might take a bike ride when the weather warms up but I do that for fun not "purposeful cardio"...even tho I know it's a good cardio exercise.
  • MarioLozano16
    MarioLozano16 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Cause they're lazy