Binging vs overeating

Options

Replies

• beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    My point is about a loss of control. Maybe the intensity is different - but binging and overeating are a loss of control. If I ate a whole pizza out with friends - I would not be calm about it. It's much more pizza than I needed. If I am depressed and eat a whole tub of ice cream - I would not be calm about that either. It's about the loss of control - regardless of the circumstances.

But I don't see why you should feel bad about eating a pizza with your friends if that's what you want. Eating a pizza once in a while won't make you fat. Exceeding your caloric intake once in a while won't make you fat.
    You don't have to eat at manteinance forever, this is unrealistic. It's more like a tendency than a static goal. You can't really be expecting to eat your exact TDEE every single day of your life. Also, overeating doesn't mean you're lacking of self control - if I feel very hungry and eat 100 kcals more than my goal and this is enough to quench my hunger, it's alright. It's planned, and it doesn't involve any bad feeling.

I understand your reasoning, but I stand by both being a loss of control. I consider both a choice that I make. I've learned to make a choice about binging. Am I still tempted to eat a bag of chips mindlessly? Yes. But I have put a stop gap in place, in the last 20 months that makes me stop and question what I am doing and why I am doing it. Therefore, to me? Eating mindlessly at home for emotional reasons is the same as eating pizza mindlessly out with friends. They both speak to MY lack of control.

Maybe the difference is I'm at a point in my life that I have had to change things dramatically. I want to be healthy and overeating is not in the cards for me anymore. For any reason.
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I just find it odd that consistent overeating is called binging by the mental health community.

It's because binge-eating is actually a disorder. It *IS* a mental health issue. My problems stemmed from untreated depression. I self-medicated with alcohol and chocolate, etc. The alcohol intensified the depression and caused a spiral effect. It only ended when I finally quit denying my problems and sought counseling.

Mental health professions understand the difference because it's their job.

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/binge-eating-disorder

I agree.

http://psychcentral.com/lib/overeating-vs-binge-eating/000286

http://www.waldenbehavioralcare.com/the-difference-between-overeating-and-binge-eating-disorder/

One aspect the second article touches on that I forgot about is the secrecy and hiding evidence of a binge. My husband has no idea I struggle so much with this because I hide it so well. I either go out and buy food specifically to binge on then get rid of the evidence, or I go buy food to replace what I've binged on. The secrecy doubles my guilt personally.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Over eating is never fine...it means you have lost control same with binging and usually is a way of coping with feelings as well.

Not true. Since I had an extra 540 calories yesterday, I will eat a little lighter today and tomorrow. Problem solved. That's easy for 540 calories, but not so easy if it had been an extra 3000 calories. Binge-eating is when you don't stop eating because it tastes so good, then you have to stop because you are going to vomit.

Also, I *always* overeat on Thanksgiving and Christmas, and I plan to continue that in the future. There is nothing wrong with the occasional feast.

regardless of your opinion it doesn't negate mine as "untrue"

having an extra 540 calories while in a deficet can't be considered over eating unless you did it because it tasted good and you weren't hungry when you ate it...which to me is the same as binging...regardless of how many calories you take in.

Because you can binge on carrots, or grapes or chocolate or beer...calories are irrelevant it's the reason for doing it that makes it what it is.

No, 540 calories over maintenance. Calories are *exactly* what is relevant because too many of them is how I added an average of 6.4 pounds per year for a period of twenty years. Calories are how I lost nearly 80 pounds from July 2012 to May 2013 and how I have maintained from June 2012 to today.

The reason for doing it, for me, is that certain foods taste super-yummy, Period.

Like I said to me regardless of what you call it why you do it matters...if you are over maintenance because it tasted good that is unhealthy...eating an entire bag (and I mean a 2lb bag) of carrots mindlessly is unhealthy...calories be damned.

I have my thoughts on Overeating and binging and they are what they are and regardless of how many people tell me my thoughts are untrue it is based on my life experience...and tell me I am wrong or whatever doesn't matter.

I have my views on what is unhealthy when it comes to the consumption of food and you have yours they don't have to be the same...

I just find it odd that consistent overeating is called binging by the mental health community.
    It's untrue that overeating is "never fine". You don't know if someone overeating is due to emotions or because they just want another slice of cake. If the person's goal is to lose weight, and they stay at a weekly deficit, what's the issue?

That's your opinion and it doesn't make my opinion "a lie"...I feel over-eating/binging regardless of the reason is not a good thing, esp if it puts you over your goals, is that you aren't changing those habits that got you fat in the first place.

I never said your opinion was a lie. As I said before, there is absolutely nothing wrong with over eating if you are at an overall deficit (if your goal is to lose weight). It doesn't matter if it's a binge or if you just overate accidentally.

no just untrue...

over eating to me indicates you haven't made the changes to make the weight loss permanent, it's just a temporary thing...

I can honestly say I haven't "over ate" in the past year...why because that's what made me fat in the first place. Even during the holidays I had pie, turkey etc but I didn't eat so much I was uncomfortable, even while on holidays in Punta Cana I didn't over eat...

As to WednyTerry yes I got that "binge eating" is a symptom of mental health issues, it in itself is not the issue it is a symptom as you so indicated as your issue was depression...
    ...but binge eating is consistent overeating..was my point.

It's just semmantics at this point...consistent over eating = binging
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    My point is about a loss of control. Maybe the intensity is different - but binging and overeating are a loss of control. If I ate a whole pizza out with friends - I would not be calm about it. It's much more pizza than I needed. If I am depressed and eat a whole tub of ice cream - I would not be calm about that either. It's about the loss of control - regardless of the circumstances.

But I don't see why you should feel bad about eating a pizza with your friends if that's what you want. Eating a pizza once in a while won't make you fat. Exceeding your caloric intake once in a while won't make you fat.
    You don't have to eat at manteinance forever, this is unrealistic. It's more like a tendency than a static goal. You can't really be expecting to eat your exact TDEE every single day of your life. Also, overeating doesn't mean you're lacking of self control - if I feel very hungry and eat 100 kcals more than my goal and this is enough to quench my hunger, it's alright. It's planned, and it doesn't involve any bad feeling.

I understand your reasoning, but I stand by both being a loss of control. I consider both a choice that I make. I've learned to make a choice about binging. Am I still tempted to eat a bag of chips mindlessly? Yes. But I have put a stop gap in place, in the last 20 months that makes me stop and question what I am doing and why I am doing it. Therefore, to me? Eating mindlessly at home for emotional reasons is the same as eating pizza mindlessly out with friends. They both speak to MY lack of control.

Maybe the difference is I'm at a point in my life that I have had to change things dramatically. I want to be healthy and overeating is not in the cards for me anymore. For any reason.

Hmm...I don't really understand how choosing to go out and eat pizza with friends is a loss of control. It is a conscious decision. I definitely wouldn't call it a binge.
  • Kitship
    Options
    Over eating is never fine...it means you have lost control same with binging and usually is a way of coping with feelings as well.

Not true. Since I had an extra 540 calories yesterday, I will eat a little lighter today and tomorrow. Problem solved. That's easy for 540 calories, but not so easy if it had been an extra 3000 calories. Binge-eating is when you don't stop eating because it tastes so good, then you have to stop because you are going to vomit.

Also, I *always* overeat on Thanksgiving and Christmas, and I plan to continue that in the future. There is nothing wrong with the occasional feast.

having an extra 540 calories while in a deficet can't be considered over eating unless you did it because it tasted good and you weren't hungry when you ate it...which to me is the same as binging...regardless of how many calories you take in.

Because you can binge on carrots, or grapes or chocolate or beer...calories are irrelevant it's the reason for doing it that makes it what it is.

No, 540 calories over maintenance. Calories are *exactly* what is relevant because too many of them is how I added an average of 6.4 pounds per year for a period of twenty years. Calories are how I lost nearly 80 pounds from July 2012 to May 2013 and how I have maintained from June 2012 to today.

The reason for doing it, for me, is that certain foods taste super-yummy, Period.

Like I said to me regardless of what you call it why you do it matters...if you are over maintenance because it tasted good that is unhealthy...eating an entire bag (and I mean a 2lb bag) of carrots mindlessly is unhealthy...calories be damned.

I have my thoughts on Overeating and binging and they are what they are and regardless of how many people tell me my thoughts are untrue it is based on my life experience...and tell me I am wrong or whatever doesn't matter.

I have my views on what is unhealthy when it comes to the consumption of food and you have yours they don't have to be the same...

It's untrue that overeating is "never fine". You don't know if someone overeating is due to emotions or because they just want another slice of cake. If the person's goal is to lose weight, and they stay at a weekly deficit, what's the issue?

That's your opinion and it doesn't make my opinion "a lie"...I feel over-eating/binging regardless of the reason is not a good thing, esp if it puts you over your goals, is that you aren't changing those habits that got you fat in the first place.

I never said your opinion was a lie. As I said before, there is absolutely nothing wrong with over eating if you are at an overall deficit (if your goal is to lose weight). It doesn't matter if it's a binge or if you just overate accidentally.

no just untrue...

over eating to me indicates you haven't made the changes to make the weight loss permanent, it's just a temporary thing...

I can honestly say I haven't "over ate" in the past year...why because that's what made me fat in the first place. Even during the holidays I had pie, turkey etc but I didn't eat so much I was uncomfortable, even while on holidays in Punta Cana I didn't over eat...

As to WednyTerry yes I got that "binge eating" is a symptom of mental health issues, it in itself is not the issue it is a symptom as you so indicated as your issue was depression...

Overeating did not make you fat. Choosing to not combat the overeating with calorie burns over time made you fat.
  • Annabel193
    Options

It's because binge-eating is actually a disorder. It *IS* a mental health issue. My problems stemmed from untreated depression. I self-medicated with alcohol and chocolate, etc. The alcohol intensified the depression and caused a spiral effect. It only ended when I finally quit denying my problems and sought counseling.

Yup, I was diagnosed with depression and a binge eating disorder. I know it wasn't a case of over eating because after being put on antidepressants my compulsion to binge eat disappeared.

As others have said, binge eating is a compulsive behaviour. There's no control and it's normally linked to emotions. Being full up or feeling sick doesn't change whether or not you do it either.

Over eating is simply eating more than you need to, either because you're greedy or not paying attention to your intake. Over eating is much easier to control because at the end of the day you can just say "no" and the only thing that you need is some will power.
  • ckasap
    ckasap Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    in my experience (and having a BFF who binges) binging is typically accompanied by emotional issues whereas overeating is something everyone can do from time to time. Overeating is having dessert when you are full from dinner; binging is a constant stream of food that you don't really care for or necessarily want but it creates a release of feel good chemicals similar to a drug.

Tl:dr - eating a wad of cookie dough isn't binging.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

no just untrue...

Overeating did not make you fat. Choosing to not combat the overeating with calorie burns over time made you fat.

Yes overeating made me fat...exercise is for health and fitness and you can exercise all you want but if you overeat you get fat...

You can't out train a bad diet.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    For me, the difference is several hundred calories and a horrible stomach ache. I quit binge-eating the same way I quit binge-drinking, just got sick of feeling sick and set my mind to change it.

Overeating is what I did last night. I had an extra pumpkin bar (300 cal) after dinner, plus a candy bar (240 cal) after lunch.

While I've never had a binge eating or drinking problem I totally agree with you about overeating. I overate yesterday but knowing I will be really busy today and probably not have time for a decent lunch and/or dinner I made that decision to do so. That's if you call eating at my TDEE + 22 calories and some wonky macros overeating anyway.
  • beachlover317
    Options

Hmm...I don't really understand how choosing to go out and eat pizza with friends is a loss of control. It is a conscious decision. I definitely wouldn't call it a binge.

I never said it was a loss of control to eat pizza with my friends. What the other poster said was eating a whole pizza. If I had a conscious thought about eating a whole pizza by myself - I would have to question why I would do that. I would be falling back on the amount of food I ate when I used to binge.
  • beachlover317
    Options

no just untrue...

LOL You can never outrun an overindulgent diet. Who would have the time if you are binging?
  • funkygas
    funkygas Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    One aspect the second article touches on that I forgot about is the secrecy and hiding evidence of a binge. My husband has no idea I struggle so much with this because I hide it so well. I either go out and buy food specifically to binge on then get rid of the evidence, or I go buy food to replace what I've binged on. The secrecy doubles my guilt personally.

This speaks to me ... I find that when I start the binge cycle, I don't want anyone else to see me shovelling food in my face. I know that the binging will stop if I just call my husband to start a discussion or something, but in the midst of it, it's almost like I don't want to stop. And when I'm baking cookies, I don't really like having the kids help me either, because then I don't get to eat as much dough as I THINK I want. Obviously, it is better for me having someone else in the kitchen when I'm baking, but I almost feel like I've lost an opportunity if I don't stuff myself full of cookie dough.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options

This, 100%. Binge eating is a mental problem and it's rarely even about food. Over-eating can be very casual and just "whoops I ate too much at dinner".

I have been diagnosed EDNOS for 15 years here. This broad in this thread arguing with everyone is extremely insulting to people like myself who have suffered with shame, guilt, not being able to go outside.... but whatever she's an expert on the subject, this is MFP.

MFP: Where your opinions make you a genius because you've lost 14 lbs.
  • Kitship
    Options

I never said it was a loss of control to eat pizza with my friends. What the other poster said was eating a whole pizza. If I had a conscious thought about eating a whole pizza by myself - I would have to question why I would do that. I would be falling back on the amount of food I ate when I used to binge.

The post talks about eating a whole pizza with friends, not eating a whole pizza by yourself. But i'm not here to nitpick. :smile:
  • Kitship
    Options

no just untrue...

LOL You can never outrun an overindulgent diet. Who would have the time if you are binging?

I'm overindulgent 4/7 days a week usually. The key is just eating less on other days, or burning more calories via movement.
  • ChrysalisCove
    ChrysalisCove Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    As a recovering bulimic, this topic hits very close to home for me.

Over-Eating: Having some extra pizza or an extra dessert when you are not hungry. Occasional over-eating is a NORMAL, typically social behavior. As other have mentioned, it is something that can be "made up for" fairly easily & while it may leave you with some guilt, it was not born from extreme negative emotion. It can become a habit, however - chronic overheating lands you in category 2 (below).

Lack of Impulse Control / Discipline: Going back to the pantry over & over, mindlessly munching, eating when you aren't hungry because something is "SO good" or "calling to you", etc. In some cases it can also be a sign that you are missing something your body needs (too few calories, not enough protein, needing a certain nutrient). Again, this is NORMAL for the average person on occasion.

Bingeing: A compulsive, psychologically driven behavior indicative of a total loss of emotional control that happens to involve food. Chronic bingeing is much more closely related to alcoholism or drug abuse than it is to over-eating. This is NOT NORMAL. Occasionally a one-time binge can fall into the "normal" category if associated directly w/ acute depression (such as the post-breakup bucket of iced cream)... Although usually these situations are actually just a more extreme example of a lack of impulse control (above).

The distinction is incredibly important, most notably because binge-eating is indicative of a psychological disorder for which one needs to seek professional guidance. Referring to normal, if not necessarily ideal, behavior as "bingeing" is downright insulting to those who have truly struggled with these behaviors.
  • Kitship
    Options

Over-Eating: Having some extra pizza or an extra dessert when you are not hungry. Occasional over-eating is a NORMAL, typically social behavior. As other have mentioned, it is something that can be "made up for" fairly easily & while it may leave you with some guilt, it was not born from extreme negative emotion. It can become a habit, however - chronic overheating lands you in category 2 (below).

Lack of Impulse Control / Discipline: Going back to the pantry over & over, mindlessly munching, eating when you aren't hungry because something is "SO good" or "calling to you", etc. In some cases it can also be a sign that you are missing something your body needs (too few calories, not enough protein, needing a certain nutrient). Again, this is NORMAL for the average person on occasion.

Bingeing: A compulsive, psychologically driven behavior indicative of a total loss of emotional control that happens to involve food. Chronic bingeing is much more closely related to alcoholism or drug abuse than it is to over-eating. This is NOT NORMAL. Occasionally a one-time binge can fall into the "normal" category if associated directly w/ acute depression (such as the post-breakup bucket of iced cream)... Although usually these situations are actually just a more extreme example of a lack of impulse control (above).

The distinction is incredibly important, most notably because binge-eating is indicative of a psychological disorder for which one needs to seek professional guidance. Referring to normal, if not necessarily ideal, behavior as "bingeing" is downright insulting to those who have truly struggled with these behaviors.

Thank you for the explanation! This is very helpful. I don't think I've ever binged before, so it's nice to see the comparison. I have, however, definitely suffered from a lack of impulse control/discipline. Congrats on your progress!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Loss of control is the key difference. Compulsive behavior, whether it's food, drink, drugs, gambling, sex, gaming, or anything else, is a behavioral disorder. Conversely. making a deliberate decision and planning for the consequences is healthy, and it is the very definition of being in control of yourself.
  • Annabel193
    Options

This is a perfect distinction between the two :D Overeating =/= bingeing
  • sharondalulu
    Options

A million times what she said. I've struggled for nearly 20 years with BED (binge-eating disorder). Binging is my go to coping mechanism, though I'm working hard to put in place healthier coping mechanisms I've learned on my own and through therapy. I often used the words food addiction to help explain it to others. As already said, the distinction between over eating and binging is very important. Binging is very much a psychological disorder.