9 weeks of work and no weight loss. What's wrong?!?

Options
124»

Replies

• serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    What's the best way to get more protein? I thought I would be doing great amping up fruits and vegetables, but guess what? They're all carbs!! I can add an egg a day. I have a friend who dumps a can of tuna on her salad--I could try doing that.

What are some of your favorite protein boosts?

Chicken, fish, lean beef, pork tenderloin, eggs, protein drinks/bars, yogurt, cheese, beans & rice (together they are a complete protein, apart, they are still protein but not complete).
  • angelapolite72
    angelapolite72 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    What's the best way to get more protein? I thought I would be doing great amping up fruits and vegetables, but guess what? They're all carbs!! I can add an egg a day. I have a friend who dumps a can of tuna on her salad--I could try doing that.

I like to use chocolate whey protein with unsweetened almond milk to get my protein in. I blend it up with some ice cubes...YUMMY!:bigsmile:
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing weight it means there is no calorie deficit. Simple.

Make sure you log everything - this includes oil in cooking, any herbs and spices, little nibbles and sips.
    Weigh everything - including fruit. Weighing is more accurate than measuring cups

Don't eat back ALL your exercise calories - MFP overestimates calories burned. Eat back 50% and see if that makes a difference
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options

Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, protein shakes (with fruit, veggies etc) tuna, meat, etc
  • cheri10698
    Options
    I am not a dr or expert of any kind but I do know carbs have a lot to do with weight loss. I am living proof. Being a diabetic, carb counting is my life. I was 140#, 5'5" tall when diagnosed but dropped to 105# due to lowering my carb and fat intake. I stayed there for 2 years with very little exercise. Stopped counting carbs and up to 125 in just a few months.

Eat more fruits (healthy carbs) (I have a max of 3/day but that's me) and at least 2-3 servings of fresh veggies/day and LOTS of water. Cut down on breads, pastas, rice, candy, things like that. One serving is considered about 15g carbs. I keep mine at 1 serving of "bad" carbs and add a pc of fruit (ex. a whole lg apple is about 2 servings of good carbs), but again, that's me. I only looked at a few days but your diet doesn't really look all that bad except too much food in 1 sitting and the candy & cookies. I definitely know about liking sweets and bad carbs (My weakness, any kind of bread and chocolate) but once you are eating the right kinds of foods the cravings for that type of sugar goes away for the most part. Fruit helps to curve those cravings as well. Of course the biggest thing is your will to give it up. Kind of like a smoker, if your not willing, you won't, no matter what you try.

I have never watched calories so I wouldn't even know the effect that would have, though I have noticed with my low carb diet, the calories seem to be very low as well (< 1400/day). BUT lowering carb count requires you to increase protein since those things are what give you energy. Eating 5-6 small meals/snacks per day instead of 3 will help a lot too.

Good luck to you and hope you find what works for you!
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say it again, it has NOTHING TO DO WITH CARBS.

For YOU it may not. But for some people it DOES. How about let the people who are most like the OP, give her some tips that have worked for THEM. Unless you are a premenopausal woman, you cannot say what works for you will work for her.
    Meh. I'm premenopausal and don't have problems with carbs. You can't from your generalize your own experience, either.

In this case, it looks like there are some logging issues as well as an insufficient calorie deficit, as others have noted. Address the basics first, and worry about the rest only if it's necessary.

this.

If the deficit is easier made by cutting out some of the carbs, that's a good place to start. Otherwise, just cut back in general. A little less creamer, a couple less crackers with soup... whatever.

We actually DO have slight metabolic changes (generally) that require a slightly lower overall calorie count as opposed to someone 25. For me, the difference is about 130 calories or so... so, a Kashi granola bar less per day, basically. Not that huge.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I am not a dr or expert of any kind but I do know carbs have a lot to do with weight loss. I am living proof. Being a diabetic, carb counting is my life. I was 140#, 5'5" tall when diagnosed but dropped to 105# due to lowering my carb and fat intake. I stayed there for 2 years with very little exercise. Stopped counting carbs and up to 125 in just a few months.

Eat more fruits (healthy carbs) (I have a max of 3/day but that's me) and at least 2-3 servings of fresh veggies/day and LOTS of water. Cut down on breads, pastas, rice, candy, things like that. One serving is considered about 15g carbs. I keep mine at 1 serving of "bad" carbs and add a pc of fruit (ex. a whole lg apple is about 2 servings of good carbs), but again, that's me. I only looked at a few days but your diet doesn't really look all that bad except too much food in 1 sitting and the candy & cookies. I definitely know about liking sweets and bad carbs (My weakness, any kind of bread and chocolate) but once you are eating the right kinds of foods the cravings for that type of sugar goes away for the most part. Fruit helps to curve those cravings as well. Of course the biggest thing is your will to give it up. Kind of like a smoker, if your not willing, you won't, no matter what you try.

I have never watched calories so I wouldn't even know the effect that would have, though I have noticed with my low carb diet, the calories seem to be very low as well (< 1400/day). BUT lowering carb count requires you to increase protein since those things are what give you energy. Eating 5-6 small meals/snacks per day instead of 3 will help a lot too.

Good luck to you and hope you find what works for you!

Not carbs. Calorie deficit. That's what made the difference. Lowering your carbs put you into that deficit, but it was being in that deficit that make you lose weight.
  • thevoice1973
    thevoice1973 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    People reach for any excuse. The equation hasn't changed from when you were 20 to now. At 48, I'm in better shape than I ever have been. It's not because I blame things outside of me. It's because I pay attention to what's going on inside. Carbs, age, etc are excuses, not reasons.

^^^ This is the attitude that gets results!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

I love Turkey Jerky, and I add tuna to my salads. I also make smoothies with Frozen strawberries and the strawberry flavor of the RTE EAS advantedge protein shakes.
    Most days for lunch I have an omelette with 3/4 c Egg Beaters, 1 oz FF cheese. 1 oz Ham, sliced mushrooms, spinach, sauted with onions and garlic. Then I add 1/4 avocado and a TBSP of salsa on top. Huge omelette for under 300 cals, with lots of protein.

Salmon filets, chicken breasts, and lean pork are all staples around our house.
  • millsrobm
    millsrobm Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Not carbs. Calorie deficit. That's what made the difference. Lowering your carbs put you into that deficit, but it was being in that deficit that make you lose weight.
    [/quote]

QFT

And no idea why it didn't quote correctly
  • littleandysmom
    littleandysmom Posts: 173 Member
    Options

Haven't read all of the posts....I'm 48 and have been struggling as well. I exercise almost everyday but can't eat like I did in my earlier years without it all going to my stomach...ugh!

I've tried to increase my protein/decrease carbs. I've been eating salmon/chicken and eggs. Also have been eating about 1/3 cup of almonds about every other day or so. Protein definitely fills me up much more than carbs. Also plain greek yogurt is another good source of protein. I don't normally, (except weekends) eat back all of my exercise calories. I've lost about 13 pounds in the last couple of months. Probably would lose more if I didn't blow it on the weekends!

I recently read about carb cycling. Haven't tried it but it looks like something that might be sustainable.

Feel free to add me if you need friends.
  • Kimmerz020202
    Kimmerz020202 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustration, I have been in a similar situation myself. I am in my 50's, 5'2" and want to lose 48 more lbs. What works for me is high protein, low carb and keeping my calories under 1200 per day. IMy basal metabolic rate is only 1437 so I will never be able to eat 1800 calories and not gain weight.

Try not to get discouraged, and keep tracking your food and exercise. I woultn't eat back my exercise calories either. Good luck!