Senior Golden Sneakers - December 2010

Options

Replies

• delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
    OK...down the 2 pounds I thought would not stay lost! :happy: But my measurements haven't much changed except my turkey neck! Only I can now wear the jeans I thought I'd never wear again! Go figure :huh:
    CONNIE, so glad it brought back memories! I recall eating the salad at breakfast along with yogurt that tasted so good, as it was very different from American yogurt! I don't recall Shakshuka, but I'll print the recipe below and I will not cook it with the hot peppers! My Dear Dad used to always make tomato and eggs, but I think his were different. There was no Israel when he was born in Jerusalem!
    BARB, wow! and thanks a million for your link. I'll try pasting it here...

Shakshuka [Eggs Poached in Spicy Tomato Sauce]

Serves 4 to 6

1/4 cup olive oil
    5 Anaheim chiles or 3 jalapeños, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped (I was nervous and only used 2 Anaheims; I would go for 3 or 4 next time for a more moderate but still gentle kick) (Buzz is definitely NOT including these!)
    1 small yellow onion, chopped
    5 cloves garlic, crushed then sliced
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 tablespoon paprika
    1 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes, undrained
    Kosher salt, to taste (Optional for sodium restricted diets:grumble: )
    6 eggs
    1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
    1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
    Warm pitas, for serving

Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add chiles and onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden brown, about 6 minutes. Add garlic, cumin, and paprika, and cook, stirring frequently, until garlic is soft, about 2 more minutes.

Put tomatoes and their liquid into a medium bowl and crush with your hands. Add crushed tomatoes and their liquid to skillet along with 1/2 cup water, reduce heat to medium, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened slightly, about 15 minutes. Season sauce with salt.

Crack eggs over sauce so that eggs are evenly distributed across sauce’s surface. Cover skillet and cook until yolks are just set, about 5 minutes. Using a spoon, baste the whites of the eggs with tomato mixture, being careful not to disturb the yolk. Sprinkle shakshuka with feta and parsley and serve with pitas, for dipping.
    :love: :wink: :bigsmile: :ohwell:

And hi to all the rest of our group! Had a busy day, bought beautiful full hanging plants to finish off the front yard...and then heard a weather report that included 35 degree cold tonight! :noway: . So they are esconced in our garage, covered for tonight, but my gorgeous orchids will probably drop their blossoms, as they are rooted to our palm trees! And this year was the first year we've had such a huge display! :ohwell:
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Gosh - it didn't seem that complicated to make back then. I looked back in my travel logs and found this recipe that serves two.

Ingredients:
    4-5 tomatoes, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 onion, chopped
    4 eggs
    1 red bell pepper, roughly diced
    Olive oil
    Black pepper
    Zhug to taste

Directions:
    Heat oil on medium then saute the onions and garlic until soft and transparent. Add the tomatoes, and pepper and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes. Once it comes to a boil, add black pepper, zhug or other spices.

Make 4 little depressions in the sauce. Crack each egg in a bowl and slide into the little wells.

Cover and cook for several minutes until the egg whites are set, and the yolks are as cooked as you like. Season with salt and pepper, and enjoy with fresh bread for mopping up the sauce.

Zhug is like Tabasco sauce but sharper. You could maybe find it in a bigger city market, especially one that has Moroccan foods. Or just use Tobasco. Canned tomatoes are OK, too, if fresh are out of the question. And we used day old bread for sopping up the sauce. So good.

Israel was one of my favorite places in the world. Some people think you should be Jewish to go there and enjoy but that's not the case. I'm not Jewish but I felt more at home there than anywhere in the world. That's why I kept going back.
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Hello sneakers:drinker: :drinker: :heart: :drinker: :drinker:
    Say you gals are posting a lot of recipes. Good ones too I might add. We need a thread for our recipes Anyone game to start one? Could call it the cooking sneakers or something funny. Then we can go back and find them easy. I am going to try that tomatoes and eggs Can hardly wait for it. I might just have it for breakfast.in the morning. I can make my sauce tonight and add the eggs in the morning. Thanks for all the new inputs you new ones have given us. We love you all.:heart::heart: :heart: Marie
  • gigi46
    gigi46 Posts: 196
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Snow still coming down we suppose to get a lot more tonight, getting ready at work for all the things to do before the Big Day:happy: :happy: :happy:

Sandy - your granddaughters Marisa & Briyanna are gorgeous, you're a very lucky to have them. Daisy is so beautiful & looks so peaceful, so cozy on the Couch I want to snuggle up to Daisy. Great Pictures:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Marie - How was your trip to the little German town, was the german food delicious? Beautiful tree & flowers, is just a gorgeous picture, Thanks for sharing:love::love: :love:

Irene - So glad to see you posting.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Buzz - Everyone in the family is going to the Resort, we're looking forward to spending the time together, we're planning a family picture, wearing white and will be taking at the Beach. So far everyone has pick what they're wearing, very casual.:wink::wink: :wink:

Connie - sounds like everyone is doing pretty well, including you, keep up the good work.:heart::heart: :heart:

Pat - How is your weather doing, are you feeling better.

Gayla - Sounds like Neil is doing pretty well, take care of yourself.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Have a great evening and have fun.

Gigi
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    kittensonmoon.gif
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Just a very quick hi. I had a running around kind of day and then sat and watched our sit-coms with Dave tonight (date night). :laugh: My sweet Neil had a bit of a rough weekend so I was ready to de-stress. It is so hard for him to not drink beverages like everyone else. He is tired of the thickener, don't blame him a bit. We see the Throat Dr. tomorrow but I am not expecting to hear that there has been a change. Neil is not looking forward to the tube going down his nose again.

Marie -- Enjoying your pics. as well, very cheery.

Jeffrey -- I do, indeed, remember the Carpenters well. As a matter of fact they are on one of my CD players now.

Gigi-- So exciting getting ready to retire.

Sandy -- Daisy looks so precious in the pictures. What a sweety.

Connie -- I hope everything is going according to plan. Hang in there, girl.

Buzz -- How lovely to have orchids. I hope you don't lose them.

I know I wanted to say more but didn't go to Word. Thinking of you all. Take care and keep smiling. Gayla :heart:
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    [img]http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg159/nevetsdp21255/good_morning_coffee.gif[/[mg] Good morning Sneakers:heart::heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: Poor Neil what a rotten blow to him. Hope the doctor have some good news today, I made that spicy tomaoes sauce las night and cook me an egg in it this morning, A nice power plus WW meal. Thanks Connie for your recipes. I sosrt of went by your recipe. I used a big can of Crushes tomatoes. About 2 cups of chop celery,onions and bell peppers Garlic. hot peppers and some salt and pepper I put a 1/2 cin a small skillet slid my egg on top put the lid on and pour it over toast this morning. What a nice breakfast. I think I will cook some whole wheat pasta for lunch and used some of it to pour overwith a small salad. Need to make some whole wheat bread today. Keep the recipes coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I want to make that chopped salad that Buzz posted I will have to go back and hunt for itFor I didn't save it. This is for our guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/img]good_morning_coffee.gif
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,126 Member
    Options
    Just a quick Hi!!! Have been so busy lately and my son from Arizona is here. I will catch up later but I have been reading the posts and happy for the good news and sad for the bad news. The ultra sound showed no blood clot or new fracture but did show an old fracture ( I don't remember any fracture) and a lot of arthritis, which never hurt until my wrist swelled up. The MRI show degenerative disc disease, another way of saying I am old, and the spin is narrowing pressing on the nerves. Keep taking the medicine for another week or two, if not better therapy and if that doesn't help then possibly an epidermal. What fun. The more I move the better it feels, the worst is in the morning when I first wake up. I am a tough old lady and this will not beat me. :laugh:

Marie, I love the pictures and if today's was a woman that would be me. :laugh:

Playing cards today and then a womens night out Christmas party.

Have a good day.
  • tlp8rb
    Options
    Hello sneakers:drinker: :drinker: :heart: :drinker: :drinker:
    Say you gals are posting a lot of recipes. Good ones too I might add. We need a thread for our recipes Anyone game to start one? Could call it the cooking sneakers or something funny. Then we can go back and find them easy. I am going to try that tomatoes and eggs Can hardly wait for it. I might just have it for breakfast.in the morning. I can make my sauce tonight and add the eggs in the morning. Thanks for all the new inputs you new ones have given us. We love you all.:heart::heart: :heart: Marie

Marie - keep in mind that the tomatoes we used in Israel were not the big beefsteak kind but more like the size of apricots - I see them in the store with five or six still on the vine - deep red, fleshy and firm. You want your sauce to be meaty.

If anyone sees a funny looking fruit called a Pamelo in your markets, give it a try. It is like a grapefruit but much larger, a yellow-green in color with a bumpy skin. Inside it has as many as 18 huge sections that have a very tough membrane. You kind of pull a thread (like a pea pod) and then eat the little droplets inside and throw the membrane away. It is both sweet and sour - I can't explain it but I loved them. On a hot dry day they were the perfect way to quench your thirst. We'd pull the segments out of the fruit and carry them around in a paper or wax bag. So good. Living in the north, I never EVER saw one in a store but you gals in Florida or Texas might run across them.

The ladies from the Pomona Christian Church had a holiday dinner today. We are not members but they invited us anyway. It is too early for hubby to be gadding about so one of the ladies brought dinner to us. The plates had turkey, sweet potatoes, a cranberry walnut salad, broccoli/cauliflower salad, sweet corn bread, mashed potatoes and green beans. There was a container with a mixed green salad, salad dressing, and gravy and another plate with pumpkin pie, angel food cake and freshly baked rolls. We ate most everything on our plates and still kept it under 500 calories. The pie, cake and rolls can wait for another day. Tonight we'll have a cup of soup and the green salad they sent.

My husband is sitting up in his recliner most of every day. He's been asking me to get this and get that and I finally told him to get things for himself. He's supposed to be walking 200 feet six times a day and it is not that far to the cupboard for a glass and the refrigerator for some juice or milk. He's also supposed to be using an inhaler (to keep his lungs clear) six times a day and he only does it once or twice. Really ticks me off. If I was in his shoes I'd be doing TWICE what I'd been told to do. Now when he asks for something special, I say not until you use your inhaler.

He was down another pound this morning (that 's 22 pounds for him) and I was too although I didn't record it. I'm suspicious of my scale. I think the battery is getting low.

I feel bad for not commenting on what everyone is doing or experiencing but at the moment I've got tunnel vision - just trying to keep moving forward. I read all your posts!
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    :love:
    Well, Connie, your recipe sounds much easier than the one I printed, so I'll try yours, perhaps tonight! Sounds yummy. Did I mention that onion chopper I got at Bed Bath and Beyond? 1-2-3 and everything is diced or chopped; WOW :bigsmile: I totally agree about Israel ; the fascination of a nation the size of tiny Rhode Island having so many different topographical changes...desert to mountains to cities built of limestone glistening in the sun! Modern cities on the Mediterranean, ancient cities, and cities underground still being discovered! Walk the ancient paths of historical and religious tragedies, where pilgrims wore away the stones with their kisses, and temples once stood, disappeared and yet still stand to be explored! And huge tents in the desert, with TV antenna reaching to the blue skies! ANd the Masada, where I broke my ankle descending, and fell in love with the man who rescued me and is now my husband :smooched: !!! It's mind boggling, and I'm not even religious! But it is perhaps the most spiritual place to visit, as well as absorbingly interesting---and FUN! Then fly over to Greece!!!

Sandy, you certainly don't LOOK old, and it is one of those things that happens as we get BETTER!!! :wink: All the old injuries catch up, and you are right about continuing to MOVE!!! I hope you feel much better real quick!

Marie, your illustrations are so entertaining! And delighted you made that egg dish. Connie's is sure less complicated and sounds more like what my Dad used to make. It was delicious!

Gayla, we all support you through the tribulations, and admire your strength. Hope things get better quickly :flowerforyou:

Gigi, I'l love to see you all at your lovely vacation, enjoying such a lovely family outing! :glasses:

Barbie and Barb, my 2 namesakes, hope you are having a good day, and I guess I missed you both?

And Pam, I feel as if we are expecting your snow here in Florida, where our high today is 55 F. and we are shivering in this unexpected cold! My orchids SURVIVED! As did the other plants newly put into the ground. How are you making out with the belated bruising? I think it happens AFTER the shock wears off, eh?

I'll check back later after more of us has checked in...and I think Marie's idea of a recipe for Gold Sneakers is a great one :wink:

Oh, one more thing even though I didn't submit it, my scale was down another pound today BUT MT WAIST AND HIPS?:grumble: NADA!!!
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Connie I just used can tomatoes It tasted prettgoo to me. i'm sure the fresh tomatoes would have been better. Glad to see your husband is doing better. It good that you are making him walk. And i buy the big bag of chopped onion,celery and bell peppers. I used about 2 cups of them. I always keep them on hand for I used them in my soups. I can't stand too long and I have to sit down as I called it get my back back into place and i am up again. I take as many short cuts as I can I keep a stool in the kitchen just for that.
    Time for a cup of tea.
    Marie
  • Oldbat61
    Oldbat61 Posts: 141
    Options
    Hi all. Gosh, haven't you all been busy; The recipes look wonderful and, when I can find time, I shall give them a try.

Buzz - sorry it is so cold in Florida but am really pleased that the orchids and other plants are coping. Has been quite cold again here but no signs of more snow just yet. I feel really sorry for the people up in Scotland - there have been real problems up there with roads blocked, vehicles abandoned and they have even been having sleep overs in schools where parents couldn't get to the schools to fetch the kids home. I need to message my nephew in Glasgow to check that he and his family are OK; the schools have closed so they should be safe at home.

Connie - you are doing such a great job; keep up the good work and keep telling him to help his own recovery - he will thank you for it eventually!! :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

I have had a lovely evening here. The Rotary Club visited our communal lounge and we had carols and the Christmas bible readings. This was followed by mince pies and sherry and we finished the evening with a rousing rendition of The Twelve Days of Christmas; it was really great fun and is making me feel that Christmas is well on its way. Tomorrow my friend Wendy and I are walking into the village to see the Christmas lights being switched on. There will be a lot of entertainment - they are even putting in a temporary ice rink on one of the car parks, though I will only be watching the skaters, not trying it myself!!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Anyway, take care all.

Love & best wishes from this side of the pond!!

Pam:heart::heart:
  • tlp8rb
    Options
    Marie, this is a picture of Hyacinth Bean Vine - the annual you and I were talking about.

rm77rt.jpg

And this is a picture of my rock garden in the front of our house. The fountain is made from rocks we found on our property, accented with river rocks from Wisconsin and rainbow pebbles from an Arkansas river bed. It is planted with grasses, lillies, and silver moss.

24vve4j.jpg

I love to grow beautiful things.
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    Connie, you are a true aesthete! Love your rock garden!
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Well, I made a major boo-boo today!!! Neil's appointment isn't until tomorrow!!!It wasn't until after we picked him up that Dave started putting things together and said he was sure the appt. should be on Wed. I called the clinic and sure enough he was right (don't you just hate when he is right!) so we spent the day shopping with Neil and now we have to go to the appt. tomorrow. He is happy to go out for breakfast again (that is how I make it appealing). We did get some gifts bought so I feel good about that. I need to get organized to plan my Christmas baking. I would like to get it mostly done next week. I don't do a lot, just enough for a little variety on a plate.

I will try to pop back later but if not, just know you are in my thoughts. Take care and keep smiling. Gayla :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • tlp8rb
    Options
    I haven't asked but are any of you on Facebook? You can find me - just search for Connie Schachel, and send me a friend request! Be sure to include a message that you are a MFP Golden Sneaker!
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Connie I type in your name on FB and it did not come up. I never have try to add a friend before
    Iam under.................... Eula M Ward

Gayla I have done that before Makes Jerry so mad. He told me to write it down on my calendar. That he couldn't keep up with my doctors. Now I don't have any appt till after Christmas. I know you have one Christmas week. I know you are looking forward to it.
  • gigi46
    gigi46 Posts: 196
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Today was so cold the high was 17 degres and the rest of the week suppose to be about the same. Made it to the gym today and when I came out :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: I almost went back in again because I did not wanted to walk to my car and freeze:sad: :sad: :sad: The weather man just called the weather BRUTAL for tonight :frown: :frown:

Connie - Love your rock garden, the foutain made of rock from Wisconsin how unique:love::love: :love:

Sandy - Keep going you will do great You're AMAZING:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: continue moving is so important - hope you're feeling better everyday.:happy: :happy: :happy:

Gayla - hope Neil gets a brake, we're praying for all of you, glad you were able to get some shopping done:happy: :happy:

Buzz - How your Fla weather - so happy your orchids survived, they're so beautiful, my daughter that lives in Fla has them and they are beautiful and so easy to take care:heart::heart: :heart:

Marie - love the idea about the recipes, I love to sharet with the group, maybe you remember my Pesto Recipe:happy: :happy:

Barbie - Way to Go!! keep up the good work.

Have a great evening and keep warm.

Gigi
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Gigi I don't remember But I have that problem/ We don t go to so. Texas till the 21st. of Dec. When so you go on your trip . I think most of my family have been there at one time or anoth. My granddaughter that got married in Sept went on their honeymoon there. I will start a thread for our recipes tonight.

Marie
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Here is the link to our Senior Sneakers recipes Hope some one will copy and paste some of the ones we have. I am not too good at copy and paste Now lets see some recipes.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/139933-golden-sneakers-recipes