Are you guys for or against childhood vaccines?

Options

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    liz-lemon-oh-brother.gif
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I am for childhood vaccines because the disease is often more of a risk to life than the vaccine is. I play the numbers game, if the risks are higher from the disease than the prevention, I go with prevention.

For example, my daughter and myself don't get flu shots, why we are often exposed to flu in others, but have not had it to date. My brother gets the flu every year, he should get a flu shot. My mom is over 80 she needs a flu shot.

This is basically how I feel too, though I don't have kids. I don't know if I have ever had the flu shot (I'm 30). Maybe as a kid and I just don't remember, but I don't get sick very often and I feel it's good to expose my immune system to things to build natural immunities. If I worked in a hospital I would do it for the sake of the patients (pretty sure it's required in that situation anyway). For sure I think the major ones you do as a kid though...polio and things like that...are important.
  • kathystrauss1
    kathystrauss1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Against. I'm a pediatric nurse and epidemics and sick kids means job security for me.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options
    I am IN...

favor of childhood vaccines. But the flu vaccine, meh. The jury is still out on that one, but I still get it every year.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    In for the crazies
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Subscribing.

I'm for vaccinations. Never seen any reputable "science" to sway me otherwise.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options
    Against. I'm a pediatric nurse and epidemics and sick kids means job security for me.

This is the most honest answer I've ever heard in regards to this argument. I do find it hard to believe that there will ever NOT be a demand for nurses, though.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Against. Why? Because they are bullcrap! They almost never do anything.
    And this is why me, (and my 23 year old brother) are terrified of the Doctor because EVERY SINGLE TIME WE GO, they give us a shot for no reason whatsoever. I don't care if I sound or act childish, I'm terrified of thin sharp needles that stick into my skin for no reason. It's stupid. They either love seeing me cry in pain, or give me a shot for what they say will help, but will really make me sick.

:huh:
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    For. I would rather a child get stuck with a needle, cry for a few seconds, get a lolipop and leave with a bandaid than hear of a child who didn't get a proper vaccine go into school, infect a bunch of their classmates with something that could have been prevented and cause an epidemic that may lead to children dying because their stupid parents didn't vaccinate out of ignorance or utter stupidity. Lack of death is the better way to go IMO.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,571 Member
    Options
    For years we've used vaccines to help reduce some childhood killers, but out spoken celebrities like Jenny McCarthy, have swayed some into thinking that they are responsible for autism. Now pertussis (whooping cough) is back on the rise and has claimed a couple of lives. The correlation with the deaths..................no vaccination for either child.
    Are there valid reasons to avoid them? Depends on one's POV or belief. Some catholics don't believe in vaccines because of use of aborted fetal cell lines in making them. Others don't believe that a foreign virus should be introduced into the body.
    What we DO KNOW, is that vaccines have prevented millions of childhood outbreaks that used to kill children before they were administered. And I'll take protecting a child from death over personal views of individuals who are against them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options
    Against. Why? Because they are bullcrap! They almost never do anything.
    And this is why me, (and my 23 year old brother) are terrified of the Doctor because EVERY SINGLE TIME WE GO, they give us a shot for no reason whatsoever. I don't care if I sound or act childish, I'm terrified of thin sharp needles that stick into my skin for no reason. It's stupid. They either love seeing me cry in pain, or give me a shot for what they say will help, but will really make me sick.

Unless the shot you're talking about is the anthrax vaccine or smallpox vaccine, quitcher*****in! (Those shots really do hurt.)
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    For.

Because I'm not psychotic.

Well, not in that respect at least.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    For. I would rather a child get stuck with a needle, cry for a few seconds, get a lolipop and leave with a bandaid than hear of a child who didn't get a proper vaccine go into school, infect a bunch of their classmates with something that could have been prevented and cause an epidemic that may lead to children dying because their stupid parents didn't vaccinate out of ignorance or utter stupidity. Lack of death is the better way to go IMO.

^ this 100%
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Are you guys for or against childhood vaccines and why?

Edward Jenner was the first person to observe and write about the "cowpox parties." From this he developed the Smallpox vaccine. Before this, variola minor (hemorrhagic smallpox) killed entire villages, etc.

Do you know anyone who has died of Smallpox lately? Probably not because the last known case of Smallpox in the US was in 1949; the last known case in the WORLD was in Somalia in 1977.

What about polio? Know anyone who lately contracted polio? No? You're not alone. Most of us don't know anyone, or if you do, they're probably in their 60s+ before the vaccine.

In case you aren't sure, I'm FOR vaccines. When Jenny McCarthy graduates medical school, I'll listen to her side of the story. I'm not holding my breath, though.

FeBGBSH.jpg
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Just trying to stir it up, eh?

when-someone-suggests-exercising.gif
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I didn't like bringing in my little ones to get needles stuck in them, but i did it of course. One of my husband's family members refused to get his child vaccinated and lectured us about it. Most of the time I find the Atlas Shrugged desertion of the unintelligent to be an offensive concept, but there are moments...
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    For years we've used vaccines to help reduce some childhood killers, but out spoken celebrities like Jenny McCarthy, have swayed some into thinking that they are responsible for autism. Now pertussis (whooping cough) is back on the rise and has claimed a couple of lives. The correlation with the deaths..................no vaccination for either child.
    Are there valid reasons to avoid them? Depends on one's POV or belief. Some catholics don't believe in vaccines because of use of aborted fetal cell lines in making them. Others don't believe that a foreign virus should be introduced into the body.
    What we DO KNOW, is that vaccines have prevented millions of childhood outbreaks that used to kill children before they were administered. And I'll take protecting a child from death over personal views of individuals who are against them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

^^ This is why I'm Pro-Choice on this issue. (hell, I'm pro-choice on every issue)
  • mmcdonald700
    mmcdonald700 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I am for childhood vaccines because the disease is often more of a risk to life than the vaccine is. I play the numbers game, if the risks are higher from the disease than the prevention, I go with prevention.

For example, my daughter and myself don't get flu shots, why we are often exposed to flu in others, but have not had it to date. My brother gets the flu every year, he should get a flu shot. My mom is over 80 she needs a flu shot.

This is basically how I feel too, though I don't have kids. I don't know if I have ever had the flu shot (I'm 30). Maybe as a kid and I just don't remember, but I don't get sick very often and I feel it's good to expose my immune system to things to build natural immunities. If I worked in a hospital I would do it for the sake of the patients (pretty sure it's required in that situation anyway). For sure I think the major ones you do as a kid though...polio and things like that...are important.

This doesn't make sense. By getting a vaccine you are exposing your immune system to "things" (an attenuated virus) to build natural immunity. I'm not saying the flu shot is extremely effective but it can provide some preventative measures. For the average over 10 year old and under 70 year old person who isn't around those age groups or people with immunodeficiencies or pregnant women getting a flu vaccine doesn't make a huge difference. So you're laid up in bed for a week, not a huge deal you won't die or anything. Also, the vaccine is predictive of the most common strain for the season, there will always be other flu viruses around you could contract or the virus you were vaccinated against could mutate enough to render your vaccine kind of useless. But there are not really any negative effects of the flu shot and getting a vaccine certainly isn't cheating the system or technically "unnatural". It's simply choosing what you expose your immune system to, when, and how much in an effort to increase its efficacy against fighting later infections.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    For; for *MY* kids.

Against for everyone else. There's too damn many people on the planet anyway.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sorry. I forgot about job security! :laugh: (I'm an RN too!)