Are you guys for or against childhood vaccines?

Options

Replies

• Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Against. Why? Because they are bullcrap! They almost never do anything.
    And this is why me, (and my 23 year old brother) are terrified of the Doctor because EVERY SINGLE TIME WE GO, they give us a shot for no reason whatsoever. I don't care if I sound or act childish, I'm terrified of thin sharp needles that stick into my skin for no reason. It's stupid. They either love seeing me cry in pain, or give me a shot for what they say will help, but will really make me sick.

100% fail......they don't do anything?

How many kids have died from polio in the last 50 years? How many kids used to die every year (or end up in wheelchairs etc)

They're not "bullcrap", millions of lives have been saved but please, do the world a favour and don't procreate........:noway: :noway:

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    My grandmother and uncle were severely affected by polio in their youth in a small farming village in China. My uncle's polio resulted in loss of cognitive abilities and my grandmother was left crippled in her legs. This is a disease that was mostly wiped off the face of the planet thanks to the adoption of the vaccines. (much too late to help my granmother and uncle)

Now I hear that polio is making a comeback in places like Pakistan, India and Northern California. I can understand that it's a matter of economics in Pakistan and India.... but Northern California? (SMH)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I am for childhood vaccines because the disease is often more of a risk to life than the vaccine is. I play the numbers game, if the risks are higher from the disease than the prevention, I go with prevention.

For example, my daughter and myself don't get flu shots, why we are often exposed to flu in others, but have not had it to date. My brother gets the flu every year, he should get a flu shot. My mom is over 80 she needs a flu shot.

This is basically how I feel too, though I don't have kids. I don't know if I have ever had the flu shot (I'm 30). Maybe as a kid and I just don't remember, but I don't get sick very often and I feel it's good to expose my immune system to things to build natural immunities. If I worked in a hospital I would do it for the sake of the patients (pretty sure it's required in that situation anyway). For sure I think the major ones you do as a kid though...polio and things like that...are important.

This doesn't make sense. By getting a vaccine you are exposing your immune system to "things" (an attenuated virus) to build natural immunity. I'm not saying the flu shot is extremely effective but it can provide some preventative measures. For the average over 10 year old and under 70 year old person who isn't around those age groups or people with immunodeficiencies or pregnant women getting a flu vaccine doesn't make a huge difference. So you're laid up in bed for a week, not a huge deal you won't die or anything. Also, the vaccine is predictive of the most common strain for the season, there will always be other flu viruses around you could contract or the virus you were vaccinated against could mutate enough to render your vaccine kind of useless. But there are not really any negative effects of the flu shot and getting a vaccine certainly isn't cheating the system or technically "unnatural". It's simply choosing what you expose your immune system to, when, and how much in an effort to increase its efficacy against fighting later infections.

WTF? Who the hell wants to be "laid up for a week" on purpose? For those of us who are the primary "bread-winners," a week off work is just shy of "end of the world" type of crap. No flu shot for me, thanks. :flowerforyou:

You misunderstood. They were saying that if you don't get the shot, and end up getting the flu, it's a week out. Not that big of a deal.... I think ;)

When it comes to the flu shot, it's the people who get the shot that wind up sick. Every. Time.

The flu shot is like gambling. It is not the same as the Polio vaccine, et al.

Hmm. I had the flu shot this year because I am pregnant. I have not been sick yet,. I've never gotten sick any year that I have gotten the shot. I don't consistently get it.
    My father was a teacher and got his shot every year because the whole kids are germy thing. He never got sick.
    I'm not quite convinced that those who get the shot wind up sick every time.

Oh, that's scary. Best of luck to your baby! I can't believe they do that now.

Can't believe they do what now? GIve the recommended vaccine to a pregnant woman?
    I spoke to my doctor who recommended it. I know not all doctors are great and many don't trust theirs, however, I trust my doctor for many good reasons. I have been with her for years and I know she keeps up to date, particularly with pregnancy/labour and delivery. She isn't a drug pusher and has never pushed anything on me. I am not scared at all. But thanks.

Yeah, they used to recommend that children, the elderly, and people who are pregnant or had an illness avoid the flu vaccine.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options

I'm in.

I can't wait for the crazy conspiracy people to show up!!!

homer_eating_popcorn.jpg
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    http://themetapicture.com/angry-scientist-finds-uneducated-internet-comment-and-delivers-badass-response/

Cliffs
    Scientist owns uneducated internet idiot over vaccines
    Epic response
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    I know this thread is going to get shut down at some point because of all of the crazies that flock to topics like this, but I'm going to give my opinion anyway.

I'm FOR vaccines.

Are one of those people who got one of the illnesses that vaccines prevent? No? Well I have been. I got pertussis as a 19 year old. Worst three months of my life. I got no sleep, I was constantly coughing (to the point that I would have to pull my car over because I would get so light headed that I would almost pass out), had a hard time breathing (in case that wasn't obvious)... It was miserable. I WAS vaccinated, but I missed my booster. So I'm also for booster shots.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    And this is why me, (and my 23 year old brother) are terrified of the Doctor because EVERY SINGLE TIME WE GO, they give us a shot for no reason whatsoever. I don't care if I sound or act childish, I'm terrified of thin sharp needles that stick into my skin for no reason. It's stupid. They either love seeing me cry in pain, or give me a shot for what they say will help, but will really make me sick.

Don't reproduce.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    100% for. I have two kids under 6 and they are both fully vaxed. Why take a risk on them contracting a deadly illness by sparing them 5 seconds of pain?
  • eddiesmith1
    Options
    Absolutely believe in the vaccines but I am old enough to have seen the effect of a lack of vaccines, my generation was the first to really begin to benefit - and i had friends brothers who had polio for instance, and knew people who were deaf thanks to german measles.... you get the idea. Almost universally the anti vac crowd aren't old enough to have seen this and have fallen under the sway of a bunch of idiots spouting a completely debunked study
    I don't get Flu Vaccine anymore because i am not in contact the way I was in retail. I'm also healthier since I quit smoking - this is the first winter I haven't been taken down in years
    But I believe in the flu vaccine for anyone at risk (back in the late 80's I had an HIV positive friend who was pretty much taken out
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    For, I want my child and subsequent children to, ya know...not die.
  • eddiesmith1
    Options

No, not misunderstanding, just re-interpreting. Like I said, it's people who get the shot who are more likely to get sick. Proper hygiene (which means not extreme in either direction) is the best way to prevent the flu. :smokin:

:huh:
    How?

Hand-washing with soap and water kills germs. :flowerforyou:

And someone sneezing on you on the subway is solved by handwashing how again?
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I am for childhood vaccines because the disease is often more of a risk to life than the vaccine is. I play the numbers game, if the risks are higher from the disease than the prevention, I go with prevention.

For example, my daughter and myself don't get flu shots, why we are often exposed to flu in others, but have not had it to date. My brother gets the flu every year, he should get a flu shot. My mom is over 80 she needs a flu shot.
    In. To watch the over- priviledged, under-educated morons who think that Jenny McCarthy is someone who should be taken seriously.

Ever notice that the anti-vaxers are of the younger generations, who never had to watch their peers drop like flies, from horrible diseases that vaccines could have prevented?

Don't reproduce.

^^^^All of this basically sums everything I could say on the matter^^^

28113-Chuck-Norris-thumbs-up-gif-g35F.gif
  • beaches61
    beaches61 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I am for childhood vaccines. I believe they save lives. I was vaccinated as a child and so were my kids. I also get a flu vaccine every year.

ETA: Anyone who thinks vaccines are worthless should spend some time with someone who had polio - who survived, that is. There are plenty of older adults who are polio victims. And that's just one of the diseases that vaccines can prevent.

Of course, if more people skip the vaccines, inevitable, these diseases that have largely been eradicated will begin to return in our population.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I had the flu shot this year because I am pregnant. I have not been sick yet,. I've never gotten sick any year that I have gotten the shot. I don't consistently get it.
    My father was a teacher and got his shot every year because the whole kids are germy thing. He never got sick.
    I'm not quite convinced that those who get the shot wind up sick every time.

Can't believe they do what now? GIve the recommended vaccine to a pregnant woman?
    I spoke to my doctor who recommended it. I know not all doctors are great and many don't trust theirs, however, I trust my doctor for many good reasons. I have been with her for years and I know she keeps up to date, particularly with pregnancy/labour and delivery. She isn't a drug pusher and has never pushed anything on me. I am not scared at all. But thanks.

Yeah, they used to recommend that children, the elderly, and people who are pregnant or had an illness avoid the flu vaccine.

That ispretty much who they specifically recommend have the vaccine.

Recommended recipients of influenza vaccine for the 2013-2014 seasonFootnote *
    People at high risk of influenza-related complications or hospitalization

■Adults (including pregnant women) and children with the following chronic health conditions:
    ■cardiac or pulmonary disorders (including bronchopulmonary dysplasia, cystic fibrosis and asthma);
    ■diabetes mellitus and other metabolic diseases;
    ■cancer, immune compromising conditions (due to underlying disease and/or therapy);
    ■renal disease;
    ■anemia or hemoglobinopathy;
    ■conditions that compromise the management of respiratory secretions and are associated with an increased risk of aspiration;
    ■morbid obesity (BMI≥40); and
    ■children and adolescents with conditions treated for long periods with acetylsalicylic acid.
    ■People of any age who are residents of nursing homes and other chronic care facilities.
    ■People ≥65 years of age.
    ■All children 6 to 59 months of age.
    Healthy pregnant women (the risk of influenza-related hospitalization increases with length of gestation, i.e. it is higher in the third than in the second trimester)
    ■Aboriginal Peoples.
    People capable of transmitting influenza to those at high risk

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/publicat/ccdr-rmtc/13vol39/acs-dcc-4/index-eng.php#rec

And
    NACI recommends the inclusion of all pregnant women, at any stage of pregnancy, among high priority recipients of influenza vaccine due to the risk of influenza-associated morbidity in pregnant women,from Footnote 88-to Footnote 92 evidence of adverse neonatal outcomes associated with maternal respiratory hospitalization or influenza during pregnancy, from Footnote 93-to Footnote 96 evidence that vaccination of pregnant women protects their newborns from influenza and influenza-related hospitalization,from Footnote 97-to Footnote 100 and evidence that infants born during influenza season to vaccinated women are less likely to be premature, small for gestational age, and low birth weight.from Footnote 101-to Footnote 104 Support for the hypothesis that infants are protected by transplacental antibody transfer from vaccinated mothers has recently been published.Footnote 105 Omer et al. provides a recent review of the evidence of the benefit of maternal influenza vaccination for pregnant women and their infants.Footnote 106 The safety of influenza vaccine during pregnancy has recently been reviewed.Footnote 107 Active studies of influenza vaccination during pregnancy have not shown evidence of harm to the mother or fetus associated with influenza immunization.Footnote 108
  • eddiesmith1
    Options
    http://themetapicture.com/angry-scientist-finds-uneducated-internet-comment-and-delivers-badass-response/

Cliffs
    Scientist owns uneducated internet idiot over vaccines
    Epic response

this is the best response, I've posted it elsewhere before
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options

Don't reproduce.

^^^--- THIS! (Bless you!)
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options

That's a messed up thing to say.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I am completely for vaccines. My brothers and I got all of ours and didn't die, parents got theirs and didn't die. And hey! Did I mention that nobody I know that was vaccinated developed autism either? AND no measels or polio or other weird disease outbreaks. :drinker: If and when the day comes that I have kids, they will be vaccinated as well. I see no point in risking a disease that is completly preventable.

As for flu shots, I probably SHOULD get them regularly since I do have a compromised immune system, but I got one a few years ago and had a reaction to it and haven't gotten one since. (No, I'm not one of those peeps that gets sick and claims they got the flu from the flu shot).
  • nancy10272004
    nancy10272004 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    When I had my kids I did HOURS and HOURS of research on vaccines. I am definitely pro for some of them (not all) but I also ordered them spaced out. I said no way to chicken pox vax, and HELL no on the Gardisil vax for my daughter. The US has the highest number of autoimmune diseases in the WORLD. That's not an opinion, it's a fact. We also do the most vaccinations, which many believe lead to auto-immune diseases. AND, when the CDC reported that "they can not conclusively claim that vaccines cause autism" was the same thing as saying that can't conclusively claim they DON'T. For me it's not just the autism issue (which I have three friends with autistic kids who ALL claim it happened after a vaccine), it's all of the other illnesses as well. I will tell you that my kids (12 & 8) rarely get sick, are very healthy, have no allergies and thankfully, no autoimmune diseases or intestinal issues (which we all know is the HEART of the immune system). There is no conclusive evidence for either side of the argument (as far as autoimmune / autism goes) so, I take the perspective that my health is my responsibility and I will decide for myself based on my own research.

As someone with a dear nephew who is on the autism spectrum, I cannot tell you how much the Jenny McCarthyisms in this post bother me.
    "they can not conclusively claim that vaccines cause autism" was the same thing as saying that can't conclusively claim they DON'T."
    is false logic. Proving a negative is almost impossible in most cases and the type of reasoning in that quote is unsound.

Second point -
    have three friends with autistic kids who ALL claim it happened after a vaccine
    Anecdotes do not prove a point.

Obviously, I don't buy the autism/vaccine connection. Sorry.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

No, not misunderstanding, just re-interpreting. Like I said, it's people who get the shot who are more likely to get sick. Proper hygiene (which means not extreme in either direction) is the best way to prevent the flu. :smokin:

:huh:
    How?

Hand-washing with soap and water kills germs. :flowerforyou:

And someone sneezing on you on the subway is solved by handwashing how again?

OOH, yuck! That's when hand-sanitizer is needed. But for the record, I don't ride the bus. I do use hand-sanitizer though, for when I am unable to access soap and water.

Maybe it's just luck of the DNA draw, but I have managed to avoid the influenza virus for 40 years so far.