Deadlifters

Replies

• DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    No, until I set an Olympic record, I prefer not to be a dramatic asshat.

This. And unless you have bumper plates, the equipment isn't intended to be dropped outside of an emergency situation.

There is also a difference between dropping it from waist level and a controlled drop. Once again, you really shouldn't do either without bumper plates and proper flooring. Respect the equipment, you pay dues but you don't own the place.

AMEN!!!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    I'm training on my own equipment and so can do whatever I want, but I personally don't drop it.

Lowering it under control is extra work on the posterior chain that i don't want to miss out on...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Dealifts bad for your back but he does power cleans? ahahaha :) Tell him to look into the knee injuries involved with that vs amount of people doing deadlifts :)

I "drop" the weight yeah, they've put special flooring for a reason. I'm not gna sloooowly lift and slooooowly release the weight, I'm working on strength which I need to do with less time-under-tension

There is a HUGE difference between control release and a drop and doing a slow motion lift.

dropped /=/ controlled return /=/ super slow dead lift
  • bkyoun
    bkyoun Posts: 371 Member
    I don't drop it. I like getting the benefits up and down.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    Only time I drop the bar from the top is when attempting one rep max, if I am going to be doing more than 1 rep in a set I bring it down, as the negative is part of the lift, yes I could probably get 5 reps instead of 3 at a weight if i did drop it, but I don't see that as a set. I see it as 5, one-rep sets with very little break
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    NO
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,646 Member

this. Even deadlifting with bumper plates I don't drop it.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    I used to, when I worked out in a gym with bumper plates and a padded surface.

I read a few articles stating that the negative on deadlifts isn't beneficial and can be dangerous.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Not intentionally. There have been occasions though, and I don't always put it down gently. In a gym though, I like to be somewhat considerate of others.
  • homeyjosey
    homeyjosey Posts: 138 Member
    when I'm lifting more for strength and max out with 4 reps per set I drop the weight form my knees with each rep and reset, when I lift lighter and go for 7 plus reps I touch the ground and lift
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    I don't drop it. At least not so far. :laugh:
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Too new to this I guess, didn't even realize dropping it was an option. That must be why the guy the other day was making so gd much noise, he was dropping from the top. I don't, obviously...I go up, control it back down, and it thumps as it hits and I go back up. Trainer set me up that way, all the videos I watched had that, and it just seems like it would have better benefits to do the full range?
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member

LMAO. Nope, I don't drop either.
  • This content has been removed.
  • WandaMM1
    WandaMM1 Posts: 132 Member
    I don't drop the bar. The ecentric movement can be just as important as the concentric movement. . Above all else, form is critical!
  • salemsaberhagen
    salemsaberhagen Posts: 54 Member
    I don't drop it. I lower it slowly and with control on all sets; I feel I get more out of the eccentric part of the lift that way.. Except on my 5x10 after my heavy sets- then I lower quickly and with control. To me, it takes more balls to lower your heavy set with control than it does to drop it.
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    I control the bar down. I don't drop it but I definitely don't resist on the eccentric portion of a deadlift.

Same with power cleans. If you drop it from the top it can land unevenly, damage the bar, and even bounce away in all sorts of unintended directions. Control it to your waist and then drop. Attempting to catch it on the way down is generally a bad idea though.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Hmm, well, my gym has bumper plates and platforms, so I don't feel like an asshat. The reason I drop the weight is because my legs are already pretty big, and I'm really looking to get the most out of the power portion of the lift. I follow the bar down on my warm up sets, but not on my working sets.

Rigger
  • jimmmer
    I read a few articles stating that the negative on deadlifts isn't beneficial and can be dangerous.

****, that's me ****ed then....
  • JoRocka

I heard walking outside wasn't beneficial and can be dangerous... so I stopped.
  • jimmmer

I heard being alive is really just dying one day at a time. Sounds dangerous.
  • JoRocka

I heard being alive is really just dying one day at a time. Sounds dangerous.

GASP- we should totally stop being alive!!!
  • vamax04
    vamax04 Posts: 1
    When doing deadlifts, I reverse the movement and place it on the floor, helps me maintain form plus I get the negative rep. If I am doing clean and jerk or snatches I will drop the weight because bringing it down hurts my shoulders. But I only use bumper weights when doing those exercises.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Yah I don't drop it...I work out at home...

some of my plates have bumpers and I have foam padding on the floor...hardwood..but I don't think dropping 200lbs on it will do it any good...

I like a good controlled reverse motion...even with rows I have a hard time letting it be less than "controlled"
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    I think "drop" is the wrong word. To me that would be just completely letting go of it. I hold onto it as gravity returns it to the floor, but I do not attempt to slow its descent.
    ^ This. I hate it when people drop the bar. They're seeking attention and it disrupts other's concentration.
    Wow your mind-reading powers are amazing. Whose attention am I seeking when I do it alone in my house?
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    No. The negative portion of the lift is good for the posterior chain and you should consider doing it. You should see your deadlifts improve. At my powerlifting meet every single person followed the bar down. Nobody dropped it. Some were a bit harder set downs than others, but nobody dropped it. If those guys can do it with 700+ pounds you can too.

Pretty much this. Also most feds I'm familiar with will red light you if you just drop it.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Hmm, well, my gym has bumper plates and platforms, so I don't feel like an asshat. The reason I drop the weight is because my legs are already pretty big, and I'm really looking to get the most out of the power portion of the lift. I follow the bar down on my warm up sets, but not on my working sets.

Rigger
    This is the reason I only vaguely guide it down. My energy is better spent getting an extra couple of lifts than trying to set it down without disturbing the other gym goers.
  • I try to place it down nicely, but it makes a big clangity noise anyway.
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,855 Member
    Dropping it is practically required in my crossfit classes, but they have a floor and bumper plates made to be dropped. It depends, though. . If I'm lifting a ton of weight and worn out and/or increasing to my 1RM, I might drop it. I prefer to get the negative rep otherwise. .But I'm certainly not seeking attention. . I holler during the lift for that . (also not seeking attention but some probably think so).
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    I do not drop them because he owner of my gym has a freaking fit anytime anyone deadlifts and is "too loud" ..

I was always under the impression that you were supposed to be in control of the lift the entire time from pulling off ground to putting back down..but I could be wrong...