Stupid Serving Size

Options

Replies

• CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Just a note about the peanut butter measuring thing...learned it here and would love to pay it forward because it changed my life. No, literally.

Put the item being peanut-buttered (apple, toast, etc) on a digital scale set to grams and tare it. Scoop out some PB and add it to the item. Don't go by tablespoons, too subjective! Add more or take away, until you hit the serving size you want--one serving is 32 grams. Much, much easier. I was really overestimating, not so much on toast but I was scooping out the center of the apple and piling a crapton of PB in there thinking "There, that's a tablespoon." :delusional:

You can also put the peanut butter jar on the scale, zero it out and then as you spoon it out, you get the actual weight, regardless of what's stuck on your spoon. Or knife if you go that route.
  • aimeef12
    aimeef12 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    seriously u guys mentioned all the ones i would have PB is my downfall lol
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is not an issue for me. When I first got my food scale and weighed it, it turned out that I was using slightly less than a serving because I just spread it on one piece of bread, then jelly on the other.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    PEANUT BUTTER! who uses ONLY 2 tbsp?!? and have you actually MEASURED out 2 tbsp... :sad:

You should weigh it out in grams. It's actually more than you think.

Or at least that is what I discovered. I was only eating about 3/4 of a serving.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Women - 1
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Pretty much all the food i love has ridiculous serving size(P.S: I love junk food :wink: )
  • kiniece
    kiniece Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    PEANUT BUTTER! who uses ONLY 2 tbsp?!? and have you actually MEASURED out 2 tbsp... :sad:

Or at least that is what I discovered. I was only eating about 3/4 of a serving.

Actually, I weigh it out in oz on my food scale. put a paper plate on the scale, tare it out and start adding until I hit 1 oz or something REALLY close to that :drinker:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    I don't know if it's been mentioned before now, but it should have.

Chocolate chips. I think a serving size is like 1 tbsp (or 22 chips). That's like barely a handful! :noway:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

Actually, I weigh it out in oz on my food scale. put a paper plate on the scale, tare it out and start adding until I hit 1 oz or something REALLY close to that :drinker:

Perhaps you just prefer more peanut butter, but my experience was that I was underestimating peanut butter.
  • _Tink_
    _Tink_ Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Nutella. I could eat the whole jar with a spoon. Or my fingers.
  • Jade0529
    Jade0529 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Ramen- a half a packet is a serving size.

:laugh:

I told my husband that (he loves Ramen) and he was so disgusted!
  • kiniece
    kiniece Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Nutella. I could eat the whole jar with a spoon. Or my fingers.

mmmmmm....Nutella! :love:
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    16 Nestle Smarties
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I NEVER paid attention to recommended serving size until I found this site and started measuring.
    One of my favorite foods is rice and one of my favorites has a recommended serving size of 1/4 cup, now who in their right mind thinks that a 1/4 cup of rice is a damn serving? Seriously???
  • SamanthaD1218
    SamanthaD1218 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Hummus!! 2 Tbsp - seriously?? How am I supposed to enjoy my carrots or pita or what-have-you with only 2 Tbsp??
  • HikerRR50
    HikerRR50 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Oreo's - lets be honest .... just give me the calorie count for the whole package.
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I think there is some effort in the U.S. to change this nonsense.

I bought a snack back of peanut M&M's that annoyed me. On the front of the package a nice green dot that read "220 Calories per serving". I flipped the bag over and there were 3.5 servings in this little bag.

I just thought to myself, "That's stupid. I ended up buying the little bag and eating it in thirds...
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Oh yeah!

And a serving size of cereal!!

That's just enough to piss you off!!:grumble:
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Cheese. 1oz of cheese is really not that much cheese if you're a cheese addict. The low calorie stuff isn't any better.