Deadlifters

Options
1235»

Replies

• kalyrichmond
    kalyrichmond Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

This. And unless you have bumper plates, the equipment isn't intended to be dropped outside of an emergency situation.

There is also a difference between dropping it from waist level and a controlled drop. Once again, you really shouldn't do either without bumper plates and proper flooring. Respect the equipment, you pay dues but you don't own the place.
    [/quote]

Should have been noted in the first post that our gym DOES have bumper plates and proper flooring specifically for people who want to drop the bar. Just so everyone knows. :)
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

Well, what I mean is that (for me, I cannot speak for anyone else and maybe I'm weird in this way) it's easy to maintain proper form on the way up because all my muscles are doing "the same thing." Proper form on the way down is a different story. It is like the difference between "lift both your arms up at the same time" versus "lift your right arm while making a circle with your left arm." I'm a lot more likely to screw up the latter.

And with other things like bench press, if I screw up, it's not like I'm going to round my elbows and blow a disc. :wink:

you can screw it up on the way up and the way down- the muscles aren't all doing one thing and then not ALL doing the exact opposite on the way down.

It's just the same thing on the way down- if you keep proper form- you aren't blowing anything out.

edit- I love your name... LMAO.
    On the way up my quads, hams, glutes, and low back are all contracting to the same degree (from the control side). In my head the move is simply "go." (Kinda like you don't think about what each toe/ankle/knee/hip is doing when you want to walk, you just think about moving forward and your motor units handle the details.)

On the way down, at the same time as those muscles are 'letting go, but only partially', my low back needs to simultaneously stay tight to keep my back from rounding. For me those movements are wired on a single circuit.

Kinda like when you squeeze your fists as hard as you can, you also clench your jaw or make a face. (Well, maybe you don't, but I do.) My control on that circuit is one-dimensional, I'm pulling all of them to the same degree.

So yeah if you keep proper form on the way down it's no problem, but keeping proper form on the way down is not as easy as doing so on the way up.

But the good news is my 3 year old is more coordinated and can set down his deadlifts :laugh:
    tylerdeadlift_zps75599d9f.gif
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

This. And unless you have bumper plates, the equipment isn't intended to be dropped outside of an emergency situation.

There is also a difference between dropping it from waist level and a controlled drop. Once again, you really shouldn't do either without bumper plates and proper flooring. Respect the equipment, you pay dues but you don't own the place.

Should have been noted in the first post that our gym DOES have bumper plates and proper flooring specifically for people who want to drop the bar. Just so everyone knows. :)

Solid points...except the bold, because I actually do own the place...

...but the advice is still the same...and I'm really looking forward to the bumpers and rubber flooring so I can drop with wild abandon.
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I drop it on heavy sets - the exercise is the lift - you waste a lot of energy controlling the "drop" dynamic lift and warms up I don`t drop