first weigh – in; shock & horror

Options

Replies

• snudgie
    snudgie Posts: 34
    Options
    I'm just copying blog entry two here to keep you guys up to date
    Don't want to get too big a head, so I won't keep doing this! Just wanted to let you all know all the support is appreciated and I hope to see a lot of you here on the boards! it's really making a difference!

Day two:

It's amazing how much one's weight can fluctuate due to water content when one is very heavy. Having purchased special scales for the heavier set person I weighed myself yesterday and again in the morning today. In order to remain consistent I always weigh myself in the same manner: underwear and a T-shirt, but no shoes or trousers. I know a lot of people weigh themselves with clothes on, and sometimes even shoes, but my intention is to take a lot of measurements and find the general trend, and not pin all my hopes on the latest number. I weigh myself three times, then take the average, so that I don't accidentally get a freak reading.

So yesterday afternoon the magic number was 430.4. This morning, things looked a lot sunnier, as I was greeted with the number 424.7 – not a bad start. I understand water weight is not fat weight, but then a huge body tends to hold onto more water than a thin one does. I am not expecting to lose this much every day, and I am well aware that I may weigh more tomorrow, despite practically starving myself today.

It was a pleasant change of pace eating healthy and watching my calories. Instead of gorging on carbs and sugar I made myself a rather sensible meal. I had some prawns/shrimp ( about 15 medium-sized) which I cooked in some olive oil with onions, a pound of sliced courgettes/zucchini, a lot of garlic and the juice of two fresh lemons. Thickened that up with a bit of cornstarch, and added a teaspoonful of brown sugar, red peppers and a dash of soy sauce - all in all about 500 cal. Quite delicious if I do say so myself!

I do love to cook, and to experiment in the kitchen and luckily I had the presence of mind to shop for healthy fresh ingredients for myself before my wife left for her conference. I only had about 1100 cal today. I know that is very low, and I am not trying to prove anything to myself. Just so happens that I am still experimenting with food and eating such a large proportion of vegetable matter just doesn't add up to a lot of calories. I am planning to eat quite healthy tomorrow with a goal of around 2500 cals. And if a glass of wine and a delicious biccie or two fit into that planning, well, I guess them's the breaks and I will throw myself on the deliciousness grenade.

I spent about 2 to 3 hours reading the forums and answering messages. I could not believe how many reactions to my initial post there were! I almost feel like a semi-celebrity! Just kidding of course. Now buy my book!

Still not sure what is the best thing to do; I am going to post my daily thoughts here on the blog diary-stylee. What I did yesterday was to copy the post in its entirety to the forums, where it got quite a few responses. I am tempted to keep doing this occasionally, but at the same time don't want to look egocentric. What I will do is post this as a response in the original thread to keep my new friends up-to-date. Hopefully from that point on anybody who wishes to can read my blog here. It is certainly nice as so many of you are interested.

And now, pathetic as it sounds at 10 in the evening I am ready for bed, as I am absolutely knackered from doing almost nothing. I tell a lie - I did walk and lift some free weights today! Good night!

Pascal
  • pettychia
    pettychia Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    And now, pathetic as it sounds at 10 in the evening I am ready for bed, as I am absolutely knackered from doing almost nothing. I tell a lie - I did walk and lift some free weights today! Good night!

You didn't do nothing! You did a lot! You're doing great things for yourself and getting lots of great feedback and support. I keep coming back to this post to check in; I think you're onto something big and I just have a feeling that you'll have some success :)
  • adelaidegirl2014
    Options
    Hi Snudgie

I think it would be a great idea to do a daily post. It will be great for your success days and provide some reflection on the not successful days.

For what it is worth, here are some of the strategies that have worked for me.

Take all your measurements - weight, girth, leg, thigh measurements and record in a book. If you are really tech savvy you will find somewhere to record them electronically.

Fix a time of the month e.g. first day of the month or first wednesday of the month, whatever, as your "measurement day" and record your progress.

Check with the doctor re your capacity to exercise and if you are struggling with mobility issues, join a hydro therapy or aquarobics class. No jolting of the joints and if you go to a heated pool them you will also loosen up any sore or arthritic joints. This is a good way to start - no worries about falling or straining.

See if you can find a friend trying the same challenges - Weight watchers is an excellent support group and you can do it on line too.

There are now plenty of on line resources with tasty recipes options - likely that you will have to try some new types of food so be up for that challenge. It is likely that this will require some changes to the way that cooking happens in your house. Don't just leave that to your wife, a lot of men I know, find cooking quite relaxing. Give it a go because this is the start of looking after yourself, being able to prepare your own food is part of that.

Plan a non food reward when you get to the end of your first month. I used to buy myself a gift voucher for a massage, I would keep the voucher on the bathroom wall next to the toothbrushes. I would see it every day and it would remind me to stay focussed.

Hope that this helps
  • Brianne333
    Brianne333 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    It's a big first step to realize there is a problem and to want to change it. I understand completely how you feel. You can do it! Let's both vow to change our lives for the better - and if you need someone to cheer you on, let me know!
  • allysteven880
    Options
    You can do this. I think you will win. Just do step by step. Good Luck.
  • FredSetToGetFit
    FredSetToGetFit Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on taking the first, and for me, the hardest step. From here on it can only get better. I keep telling myself on the days that I find it hard, that it is ok, as today I am the fattest I will ever be again.
  • susanmc31
    susanmc31 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy to see that you came back and replied to your thread. You have a great attitude and that believe you will accomplish anything you put your mind too. Everyday is a new day and I look forward to seeing more posts/blogs from you in the future! I am going to send along a friend request as well and hopefully we can be motivation and encouragement to each other.

Susan
  • annie7hudds
    annie7hudds Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I keep telling myself on the days that I find it hard, that it is ok, as today I am the fattest I will ever be again.

This ^^^

Good luck on your journey, snudgie.

You can do it - use mfp as a tool, log everything and read the success stories, recipes, tips.

Will be following your journey!!
  • thatfitgeek
    thatfitgeek Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Best of luck too you! You are one brave man! It will be hard as hell but worth it!
  • cclark1203
    cclark1203 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    hey we all had that horrible huge number. I felt the same way. I was in denial for so long acting like my clothes all shrunk and not facing the fact that I just kept getting bigger. THen I stepped on the scale and almost had a panic attack. You took the first step and that was confronting the facts and the scale., Take this one day at a time. Make small changes. be more active. get up in between comercials and walk in place. make a better choice of what you eat each time so its an accomplishment and not something to be guilty about. Take baby steps every single day and you can do this. Totally rooting for you.
    This! To start don't try to do everything all at once, you will get so overwhelmed that you will shut down. Tackle 1 thing at a time. You decided what it is. Maybe it's eating a healthy breakfast and walking in place during the commercials. Once you have that done, decided what is next, add 1 thing at a time and remember, we are not perfect. We will fall alot but the important thing to remember is to get back up and forgive yourself most of all.
  • Kate
    Kate Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If you can afford a treadmill, as an alternative to going outside, that could be a solution to get you moving with just walking, and increasing the level of difficulty as you start to feel better and lose weight.
  • kazzyv
    kazzyv Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi - thanks for the kind reply and encouragement! This will be my very next purchase, a food scale!
    I've set up MFP to give me a deficit of, I believe is 700 cal or more. I know some people will think that might be excessive, but my starting weight is rather high.

I was actually thinking of not only cutting calories in the traditional way, but occasionally combining it with Dr Roger Mosley's 5:2 diet, aka intermittent fasting. The goal here for me is not even so much the weight loss as it is the "defatting" for lack of a better word, of the liver and pancreas, in an attempt to reverse or at least slow down my diabetes.

thanks for all the tips – I hope to meet you again on the boards here. Do send a friend request if I haven't already sent you one.

take care,

Pascal
    [/quote]

I have done the 5 2 and it is good for some people however I would strongly suggest that you keep to controlling calories first and then bring in the 5 2 diet. With your current weight and food intake I think you will find it really really tough to cut down to 500 calories in total on the 2 fast days. If you are thinking of doing the 5 2 then I would really get a medical OK before you start.
  • snudgie
    Options
    This is so important that you have made this gigantic step. Stick with it!!! If you can, go on http://ddpyoga.com/ or Google DDP Yoga. It is soooo easy and for MEN! And it shows people similar to you that were incapacitated. In only 20 minutes your heart rate is up and you are sweating. It's all about resistance and can easily be done on your living room floor. Good luck!!

That is so funny - I was just on his website an hour ago. I actually used to be quite the wrestling fan, and, for those of you who know the old WWF, seeing Jake the Snake regain his health and conditioning was inspiring.

Of course the non-wrestling fans think I've gone bonkers now. Hey, it's excellent drama! Or that's how I remember it :)
  • snudgie
    Options
    YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!

Just thing how amazing it will feel to be waiting on your wife and not the other way around.

Yes - exactly the way it should be! For the moment she is the breadwinner, and she is quite bushed by the end of the day. It;s going to be nice to treat her to some home cooked and healthy meals that I have cooked, as opposed to eating sandwiches half the time because "I'm in too much pain to cook today".
    No more excuses!!
  • Jsphine
    Jsphine Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Jus so you know, I am addicted to this thread. Keep us posted everyday, if you'd like! :smile:
  • JenRunTriHappyGirl
    JenRunTriHappyGirl Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    First, I am going to send you a FR. Second, I am giving you a virtual hug because it is amazing to just type those things and then post them.

Third, BE CAREFUL! If going outside is too much for you right now, thats okay! Maybe try standing up and then sitting back down on the couch 10 times every 2 hours. Or find a step in your house (like the step down into the garage) and go up and down a few times every hour. Anything to get yourself moving!

Good luck!
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    It seems as if you've had a revelation about what needs to be done and why. Please don't give up. Do what you know you need to do.

Please feel free to friend request me if you would like. I've lost a total of 55 pounds from my all-time high weight (the last 29 pounds using MFP). I have another 45 pounds or so to lose before I'll be satisfied. We can't have enough friends or enough support if we're going to be successful in reaching our goals.

Doug in Akron
  • fernettacaswell
    fernettacaswell Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Stay at every diet and take one day at a time making healthy choices and if you do bad get right back on it. That is what everyone tells me. I am a female and I weigh 339 lbs. I know how you feel about not going outdoors and the breathing. Things that normal people take for granted are excruciating for me. I have been overweight most of my life but never like this and I am divorced and my kids are grown with their own lives and I do not have a purpose. Just do not give up on yourself because I do beleive in GOD and I believe that he will see us through if we take it to him in prayer.
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    to be honest, weight loss surgery is just as much work as diet and exercise. the only difference is your body is more ready to tell you that you're full. you still have to limit your intake and watch what you eat, on top of daily physical activity.

^^^This man is very, very smart. Way to go, This Man.
  • AstorMiles
    AstorMiles Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you! It takes guts to take control and that's exactly what you're doing. You're a brave soul. If I may, would you consider consulting a health care professional (perhaps a team including a registered dietitian and a physician) to guide you through the process? It just may give you a bit of comfort to know that there is professional help there, and they may have some excellent recommendations for ways to increase your physical activity and regulate your food intake without taking too much of a toll on your body.

Regardless, really - best of luck, and congratulations for taking this first step! I am really looking forward to reading about your progress!