WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2014

Options

Replies

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Do you think I can have access to the computer in a prison if I murder my husband???? My daughter and I have been searching through vacation rentals for weeks. He wanted something warmer for fall break, North myrtle Beach wasn't warm enough. OK, so we go to the gulf coast. They are more expensive than South Carolina, has to be within that same limit we paid before, 2 years ago. Well honey things have changed n two years. So now he is sure South Carolina would be fine. OK, so now we go back to Myrtle Beach. still to expensive. So he says don't limit it to houses, try condos. OK, change the parameters. Find affordable rentals. Present them to him. Nope, will not stay in a condo any higher than 3rd floor. :sad: :noway: :grumble: :explode: :angry: :mad: If there were any more negative smilies I would click on those. So all of those condos I had in my favorites I have to delete. and back to the drawing board. I guess I would be able to lose weight in prison though since they don't serve much. That's the bright side.

To all of you with dogs, I commend you if that is what you really like. My youngest came over with her dogs today. She has a postage stamp sized yard and 3 dogs and is babysitting a third, a Jack Russell overweight dog. So sometimes they and she needs a bigger place for them to run and get energy out. So she packs them all in her car and brings them over to ' Grandma's' house. Her biggest one is a full blooded boxer. He is also her favorite. She loves to wrestle with him. I think his favorite past time is barking!!!:sad: A barking dog is not my favorite past time. Her first dog which is a mutt is about 13 years old. His arthritis is getting so bad it is pitiful to watch him. The poor dear tries to get up the stairs on our deck and eventually makes it but it's enough effort for him to walk around the yard. He is on glucosamine but his liver enzymes aren't good either. He is also developing tumors. It will be one sad day when she has to put him down. I know she wants him to with her as long as possible but there are several families in the dog rescue group she belong to that specialize in the old dogs. They live in ranch style homes, have a nice back yard for activity and exercise. It would almost benefit Timmy to be adopted by one of these couples. But she has had Timmy for about 10 years. she got him when her husband was in Iraq for his first tour and he was her baby and he kept her sane. I also know if she has to put him down she will immediately start looking for another dog to foster or adopt through Another Chance for Animals.She got one of her dogs through them and I got Melody through them. They get their animals from the dog pound, foster them and then adopt. Many of them are foster to adopt.

Don't forget to change clocks back tonight. I turned off the TV an hour earlier just so I could relax earlier to get to bed. I plan on joining my new church tomorrow and I want to make sure I get there. the Devil better not give me a headache tonight because I have made this decision!

Joyce,Indiana
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Margaretturk: Thanks for your good wishes. We’ll be on our way home from our visit with DD and family on the actual day of our anniversary. I’m sure we’ll be looking forward to being home again.:flowerforyou:

Alison: I hope your husband’s new interest in improving his health will lead to good things for him and you. Good luck to you both.:flowerforyou:

Lee: We got to be 50+ one day at a time. Welcome! I hope you’ll enjoy the group. Where are you from?:flowerforyou:

Sylvia: Did I say congratulations on reaching 100 pounds lost? If so, I’m saying it again. Congratulations! :drinker: I loved your story about the tiny elderly woman driving a huge motor home. :laugh: I like a good hotel, too. They’re so much easier than parking a big rig, getting things set up, getting your food…and the list goes on. I LOVED the jokes of the day. Thanks for sharing.:flowerforyou:

Meg: It is so good to see you here. You’ve been missed.:flowerforyou:

Renny: I suspect this will be one of our last cars. It is possible that we’ll get another after this, but we usually drive our cars for about 10 years. It will really depend on our health. The one we just traded had about 122,000 miles on it and was starting to really show its wear.:ohwell:

JB: I love your new goals, especially the first three. Change your thinking, treat yourself kindly with compassion & make time for self care. These are awesome goals. I hope we’ll see more of your posts.:flowerforyou:

Heather: I like the term underbuyer and it has fit me pretty well for most of my life, but not DH. If he didn’t push for change, there would be a LOT less of it in our lives, I think. I would buy a lot less. I have been more likely to buy things since I’ve lost weight because I needed things that fit, and more recently because I’m starting to enjoy having nicer clothes.:bigsmile: :love:

JaneMartin: Enjoy your granddaughters.:flowerforyou:

Carol in NC: congratulations on the new size medium T-shirts! WTG!:bigsmile:

Kalley: Congratulations on the loss. Enjoy contemplating your next treat.:wink::flowerforyou:

Michele: This is the first car we’ve bought in at least 10 years and the first new one in 2 decades. It replaces one that we bought from a fleet buyer about 7 years ago. That one had been used as a rental car for the year before we got it. We put a lot of miles on it and the wear was definitely showing. The last time we bought a new car was 1993, over 20 years ago. We tend to hang on to things a long time.:glasses:

I’m settling down, at last. I get really worked up about things, even when they’re essentially good things. This was no exception. I worry about money among other things. I guess I’m like a lot of people in that regard. I hope to sleep better tonight.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

March goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Move more: cardio at least 3 days a week and strength training as soon as I am able.
    3. Find a way to have fun at least once every day.
    4. Water: According to an article I saw on facebook, drinking water at certain times maximizes its effectiveness for the body. I’ll work toward following these guidelines:
    * 2 glasses of water after waking up - helps activate internal organs
    * 1 glass of water 30 minutes before a meal - helps digestion
    * 1 glass of water before taking a bath - helps lower blood pressure
    * 1 glass of water before going to bed - avoids stroke or heart attack
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,262 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful women from sunny Hampshire!

Katla - I am a worrier too. For me it's all part of needing to be in control of my own life - a legacy of my difficult childhood. A good side of that is that I am a planner and I am well organised. A bad side is that I am not good at 'going with the flow' and find unwanted noise very difficult. One exercise I did on a personal growth course was to make 10 deliberate mistakes. I managed to do it, but chose very small mistakes! Some people on the course were braver and made HUGE mistakes! It was all very interesting.

Our clocks don't go forward until the last weekend in March. Might get outside today and do a bit of bed preparation for seed sowing later in the month. I was amazed yesterday at how easy I found the weed zapping. I used to find it exhausting and would have to lie down for an hour afterwards. How far I have come! The beautiful sunshine makes me think I would like to go to the garden centre to buy potatoes and seeds, but I know the world and his wife will be there today. Tomorrow will be quieter. I also want to get the white lacy top with my 20% off voucher. I've had my eye on it for several months so it won't be an impulse buy.:laugh:, just incredibly useful with all my black skinny trousers. The big question is - will I drive myself? I think I will . . .:ohwell:

Love to all. Hope you and all your loved ones get and stay well.:flowerforyou:

Heather in sunny Hampshire UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,732 Member
    Options
    morning ladies,
    well must be the sodium, I have been race walking for 3 days now and havent lost an ounce for goodness sake..
    all of you are doing an awesome job.but this plateau is getting a little ridiculous...
    going to try and get some stuff done today around the house, and get out for another racewalk, or go to the gym, I dont know which yet..
    DH is out for his walk, with the pedometer ,I will start cutting down on how much food I give him and maybe he will drop a few lbs
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Yanniejannie :smile: Stroganoff is one of my favorites too…yum!!! Glad DD got home safe! Sure hope you`re feeling better today:flowerforyou: ! Enjoy this beautiful weekend:glasses: !!!

MariaBmb3 :smile: Welcome! Hope you`ll stop by often and chat!

Heather :smile: LOL…I had the same problem when I bought my phone! Then I had to ask someone how to get my voicemail:embarassed: . Hope that pesky ½ pound goes quickly for you! Okay you know we love pics….let`s see a new pic of you with your fringe:love: !!! Bet you look fabulous! Have a fun time shopping!!!

Katla :smile: I`m like you I love this time change, the longer it`s light at night, the happier I am:bigsmile: ! Hope the stress is easing up and you`re resting better:flowerforyou: !

Margaret :smile: I almost fell asleep at the computer last night:yawn: , one of those moments “I`ll just close my eyes for a minute”, yeah…..Sharing coffee:drinker: and water:drinker: !

Alison :smile: How sweet of you to give up your pedometer to DH. How do your like the FitBit Flex? Yesterday was a lovely day here too, 62 for the high and warmer today….spring is on the way:glasses: !!! Hope you enjoyed your dinner out!

Lee :smile: Welcome!!! I`m loving my 50`s, I have more confidence and feel much more settled than I ever have:bigsmile: !!! I love your goals…I really like the one about being spontaneous:happy: !

Sue in SD :smile: I take Synthroid every day, I have to take it on an empty stomach, no
    vitamins, no calcium, etc. etc. for 4 hours…I finally figured out a schedule that works, that means taking my vitamins in the afternoon. Hope you`re feeling better:flowerforyou: !

Sylvia :smile: Jazz concert sounds like a fun time! Get rid of those too big clothes, you will never need them again:smokin: !!!! Congrats on getting into a large…woo hoo:bigsmile: !!!!! I still have a problem buying clothes, I always look at it and think it will be too small, then try it on and it`s too big, I know the sales ladies think I`m crazy doing a little happy because I wear a size large! I`m glad your son made the best decision for himself, making a decision takes a lot of the stress away! Sending best wishes for you both:flowerforyou: ! Thank you for the jokes, love them both! I did a C25K through our local running store last year, it was really nice, they had levels for everyone, including just walking. We also got a little workout and stretching in after the walk/run! I was really disappointed that I couldn`t run like I use to when I was a kid….when did it get to be so hard:huh: :laugh: ???? Make sure you check with your Dr. before signing up though!!! I had a little physical before I signed up, just to make sure there wasn`t anything that was wrong!

Meg :smile: Enjoy your weekend:bigsmile: !!!!

Renny :smile: Glad to hear you`re well!!!! I have a friend that gets up every morning at 4am, has a cup of coffee and reads the paper and goes back to bed. I can`t do that:noway: , if I get up at 4am, I`m up for the day:grumble: . Congrats on the 1 ½ pound gone!!!!

Jb :smile: Love love your blog post!!!! You are such a talented writer:happy: !!! Love your list!!!! I may borrow one or two:blushing: !

Kimberly in TX :smile: Welcome!!! Come in often and chat with us!

Jane Martin :smile: Hope you had a wonderful time with your grandchildren:love: !

Carol at the beautiful beach :smile: Congrats on the size medium shirts:bigsmile: !!! I love to walk and find things I might have missed by driving, I love going in fun little stores!!!

MA :smile: Hope the doggies warm up to the ball soon! That`s my dogs favorite toy, although a yoga ball might make her look twice before she would try to bite it:laugh: !

Teral :smile: Hope you had a wonderful relaxing evening!

Sandy in ON :smile: Congrats on the 1.6 pounds gone…woo hoo:bigsmile: !!! Maybe you could celebrate by buying yourself a new pair of shoes, or a nice little piece of jewelry. I think I`m going to buy myself a nice little ring when I hit my goal!

Barbie :smile: Glad you had time to relax and watch your programs!

Michele :smile: Enjoy this gorgeous weekend:glasses: !!! What are and Vince going to be doing in the yard this year:huh: ? I get all kinds of ideas from you:laugh: !!!

Joyce :smile: Just don`t do it…no murder please:noway: !!! Those jumpsuits they make you wear are just ugly…don`t go there:noway: :laugh: !!! Men can be a pain in the behind, but they really are worth it in the long run:devil: :heart: ! Congrats on joining the new church!!!

I had so much fun yesterday…I did something I`ve not done in ages….I made snow angels yesterday morning:tongue: . In the back yard where no one could see me, there I was on the ground with a 13 pound dog sitting on top me, I laughed so hard I almost wet myself! The dog had a fabulous time too…I`m very grateful she can`t talk, she could blackmail me:tongue: !!!! I`m going to boss the boys this morning:love: , put my tiara on and rule the round table, actually they changed they tables there, they are square now….

Have a fabulous Sunday ladies! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in beautiful NC:glasses:
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Rainy Sunday, I'll be cleaning, cooking, walking dogs, and doing some work in the recording studio. If it's not pouring, maybe I'll buzz around the track a few times and work up a good sweat. :bigsmile:

I'm taking a few minutes to realize Friday and Saturday are overwith, time to get back on the less-eating plan. I had fun eating pizza last night, it's been ages. Giving myself a little room for weekend frivolity is great and all, but the problem is that it always seems to reverse the progress I've made during the week. Still learning. Balance balance balance.

Red and I spent a few hours at the garden yesterday, working in the rain. :huh: It wasn't pouring, so it wasn't too bad. We got a lot done, the garden's looking spiffy!

Thanks Katla, I'll try to pop in more often! :happy: Busy days lately.

DeeDee, :laugh: Haha! Love it!! I always knew you were an angel :bigsmile: what fun!

Joyce, I just read about your daughter's dogs, she's sure got her hands full. I'm a dog person, I've got 2, and I love them to pieces. I have a big yard which makes it nice.

Here's to a wonderful Sunday! :drinker: (drinking POM tonight, no wine)

:smile: jb in Starting to Be Spring-y PNW :flowerforyou:
  • jeanniesue98
    jeanniesue98 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Jean. Hoping I can find some support. My kids are grown and live in a small town no friends live close to exercise with so hoping to find encouragement here!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,363 Member
    Options
    Did about 45 minutes of challenges (Sat). I did the shorter no nonsense challenge and then the longer one. Doing them both one time seems to take me about 1/2 hour. Then I did the tank top arms challenge (once) which took me about 15 minuts to do. For the remainer of the time I did a stretching video.

Volunteered at the Green Room yesterday. They called me and asked if I'd work. I usually don't work on Friday afternoons, but figured I'd help them out. Got to sign up for when I want. Tues and Thurs mornings seem to work out the best for me, so I try to take those shifts

Jessica came here last night. She wants to make a costume. I haven't sewed in a looooonnnggg time, except for hemming tablecloths.

katla - may you have many many great years with that car. I'm so happy for you. I'd never heard of a "smores" pizza, will have to look it up. Maybe that'd be something for Vince for father's day.

joyce - glad you made another snack. It sounded so yummy. I keep on telling myself "what you eat in private you wear in public". What a wonderful thing for Charlie to tell you! Keep remembering that. You want to continue to look as good as you do now, and cheating won't help.

healthymeemaw - welcome! Glad to "meet" you. Come in often

Kim - you have no idea how much I wish our homeowners assoc would let us have a clothes line. When we had our second house, we had one and I LOVED it. I do hate having to hang things over the railing on the deck. The wind has many times blown the article down on the ground. I do try to dry out my bathingsuit on the chair on the deck when I can.

DeeDee - we didn't get much snow. It was really gone by the afternoon. We never lost power once. Think I'm going to change into a shortsleeved shirt (I have a 3/4 one on now) since it's supposed to get much warmer. Carol needs company, doesn't she?????? We certainly wouldn't want her to be lonely!!!! Hope your cherry tree makes it. The smoothie sounds great. I can understand the fruit being better, but if that'll help you have something in the a.m., that's great

I would never tell the gal this, but remember I was talking about the swimsuit that the suitspinner ate? Anyway, I went to ask her if she remembered where it came from. She didn't (not surprisingly). She said she'd email me if she thought of it, but I highly doubt she will. Anyway, I was really surprised, to me she looks like she gained some weight. I don't remember her face being that round

yanniejannie - whenever my throat is scratchy, I find that having some yogurt makes it feel better. I guess it's because the yogurt coats the throat.

mariabmb - welcome. You've come to a great place for support.

Joyce - it wouldn't surprise me one tiny bit if you could have a computer in prison! You poor dear, hubby really IS driving you crazy. Your daughter was babysitting a jack russel with a postage stamp size lot? Oh brother!

Heather (and katla) - I'm a worry wart, too. I never thought about that being the reason that my strong points tend to be being a planner and being organized. I always thought that was because my mother died when I was so young and I really didn't have anyone else to depend upon to get things done. Jessica wanted to go to a fabric store yesterday, so we went. Honestly, I think she was thinking that I'd make this costume for her. I haven't sewed a lot in about 20 years. The last few years I've just hemmed tablecloths and made a few shower curtain liners -- all straight stitching. And I know how Jessica would be -- she'd want every detail exactly according to this picture. I'm, no where near a decent sewer, so I wasn't about to take on that job. Not sure what she's going to do.

Heather - does all of Europe set their clock ahead at the end of March?

Jessica made dinner last night, chicken breasts, she wanted these butter noodles and I wanted coscous instead (no where near the sodium or calories) along with corn. I'm not a fan of corn unless its fresh corn on the cob -- then I can't stop. So I had this mixed vege (broccoli, cauliflower and carrots). The chicken was pretty moist. I made these chicken thighs that I had marinating so we can have that for dinner during the week.

DeeDee - I'm with you, I want to see a pic of Heather with her fringe, too. I, too, love this time change. Vince doesn't and neither does Jessica, but that's too bad. I absolutely love it. Aren't jb's blog posts wonderful? This summer Vince and I are going to work on the landscaping in the front yard. Shouldn't be as much as last summer. I did talk him into putting down riverrock underneath the deck. Right now we have mulch and when it rains the rain falls in the cracks between the boards (natch) and then there's this "line" in the mulch. With riverrock I doubt that'll happen. He also wants to extend the drains from the house from the front yard where they are now to almost in the street. Then there'll be the landscape lights and some (not much) riverrock. I do really want to get rid of this rose bush that they put next to the garage. I hate it. I don't like rose bushes as they are, and where this one is located I especially don't like it. I also don't like the crepe myrtle by the house so I want to get rid of that. I want a tree/bush that blooms early in the spring, not a crepe myrtle that doesn't bloom until late in the summer. By the time winter is over, I am so looking forward to nice weather, a neighbor has a bradford pear and I love looking at it. However, where this would be located isn't a good spot for a bradford pear. I just know that I want to get rid of that tree. I know what happened, the people who owned this house were getting a divorce and they did the landscaping as cheaply as possible just to get the house sold. I can just see you laying in the snow, Noel on you, making those snow angels. Warms my heart.

jb - I used to be the way you are, counting calories during the week then splurging on the weekend. Yup, it did undo everything that I'd accomplished during the week. However....I did find that eventually I was at the point where I couldn't wait for Sunday to be over so I could get back to heathy eating. Then I got to the point where I only splurged on Sundays and eventually not even on Sundays.

Sunday here - did an hour of this "10 Minute Butt Lift" DVD that I got. Actually, it's six 10 minute workouts. Really, I wanted to be sure that the DVD was OK. And I declare this one to be OK. Tomorrow I'm planning to do the abs section of KCM "30 minute Cardio Blast" DVD, then hold my plank and then take the extremepump class.

Hope everyone has a great evening. Guess I forgot to post last night.

Michele in NC
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good Morning!

Have popped in and out before - and forget what a warm and inspiring group this is. My March goals are to drink water! water and more water + exercise in the morning most days!

I am a grandma, teacher - still working, but planning on retirement in two years. Want to be fit and healthy to enjoy that special time with my family!

Have a wonderful Sunday all!
    Sharon in IL
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Hello to everyone!!

My throat cleared up yesterday around noon and I was tip top by afternoon; all I could do early on was barely squeak for hours and felt like I swallowed a spiked golf ball---never have I had anything quite like that. I was sure I was getting a bug. It was back again this am but not nearly as bad. Maybe allergies??????? .........or something with the vocal cords??????? Of course, I used my pity party as an excuse to have Krispy Kreme donuts.......yes, bad move, I know. Anyway, DD and I both did some SERIOUS shopping and went to an Irish style pub for dinner and the ballet last night. She got a little sequined number that she looked gorgeous wearing with black suede double pump 4" heels. I don't envy her the shoes, but, oh, that dress!!!

This am was the monthly gym breakfast..........2 women, 3 men..........the usual.

Margaret...........I also have fallen asleep in front of the tv; doesn't happen anymore much now that I'm not making an effort to stay up for Jay Leno. I do like your word "contentment".

Anamika............Your race is probably over by now, but if it isn't, GOOD LUCK!!!!! and if it is, hope it went well!! Hats off to you, amazing woman!!!

jb..........Thanks for sharing your blog, it's always worth reading. I have tracked it down on the blogs section.

Sylvia..........Given your history, please check doing the couch to 5K program out with your cardiologist, he may well change up the training plan to suit you better. I agree with your son's decision; I think he's thinking very clearly about all this. Loved the jokes!

Sandy...........At the rate you are going and with your dedication, you'll be at that 100lb. milestone soon........need to start thinking about a reward.

Dee Dee.........Snow angels??? I would have loved to see that!!! Bet your dog thinks you are the bestest human ever! Hope you gave the boys a run for their money this am.

Katla and Heather...........I used to be a serious "underbuyer" and still can be now and then...........raised by parents who were both children of the depression and poor ourselves..........I don't stress now over the day to day expenses or little treats (like yesterday), but the big ones are still capable of stressing me out. I realized I was clipping coupons and saving a quarter here and there and DH was never passing on a chance to pay full price and not looking for bargains so I stopped putting spending stress on myself........within reason. It was VERY liberating!!!! As long as we can pay off the credit card bill in full at the end of every month and not touch the "nest egg" .........I'm OK.

Sunny Sunday here!!!
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic
  • I am 55 years old and weight 177 pds. I have high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Until age 37 my average weight was 120 and I never worried about what I ate. It was was devastating to me when I started to gain weight but I didn't know how to change my eating habits (I am a chocoholic) so I didn't.

In September of 2011 I saw myself in a family photo, I weighted 232 pounds I was out of control, right then something clicked in my head and I knew I had to do something, my health was going down hill fast. I did a little research and found the waist-aweigh program through my insurance where they would pay for a weight loss program as long as I lost one BMI point every 60 days. Over the next 18 months I was able to lose 80 pds, I was motivated and though there were a lot of times I wanted to give up I managed to keep going. I hit my healthy weight of 154 pds and graduated the program in January of 2012. Over the next few months I got down to 149 and felt really good about myself. I had been exercising for 45 minutes six days a week for 21 months (I hate to sweat so it wasn't intense exercise. Everyone at work was supportive and actually seemed to admire me for the progress I was making.

About June of last year I let myself start adding more and more junk food into my diet and now I am out of control again and cannot for the life of me figure out how I had the willpower to control my junk food cravings. I can't control the overwhelming cravings and once I start eating chips or chocolate I don't stop until I'm feeling sick. I am completely disgusted with myself. I need freedom from these cravings and am hoping that I can find motivation again. It seems like my only thoughts are "what can I find to put in my mouth next" I've tried substituting apples, celery, and carrots for a snack but I did that for 18 months and I'm sick of it. I try to find more healthy options like nuts but I can't stop eating those once I start either.

In a nut shell, I can't find anything that actually satisfies me, I need to find a way to brainwash myself into not feeling the need to eat. Any helpful thoughts would be appreciated. I'm still exercising but exercise alone will not keep the weight off.
  • lmerner
    lmerner Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Lost 1.6 lbs today which brings me 9.6 lbs until I lose 100 lbs. I've been thinking about what I want to do to celebrate. I don't do the whole spa thing.

Busy day.. Happy International Women's day! Thank you all for being such wonderful women :heart: :heart:

:heart: Sandy in ON

Hey Sandy that's fantastic!

Plan to do something on your bucket list or something off your wish list. For my 50 pound milestone I went kayaking! Make yours something you'd love to get out and do. Horseback riding, butterfly conservatory, tobogganing....whatever your thing might be.

Start planning....your 100 pounds loss is right in front of you....Congratulations!

Lee
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Welcome Jean! This is a very supportive bunch, so you have come to the right place. Looks like you've lost a little already, so you've got a good start! Is that a grandbaby in your profile pic?

Sharon, welcome back! What do you teach? We have some other teachers here too. What part of Illinois are you from?

Michele, you have got to be the workout queen! I get tired just reading about all the videos you do. I've never tried a video. We have had a DVD player for years but never figured out how to hook it up. My son looked at it the other day and said it's older than the tv and needs different wires. :laugh: We don't do things very quickly at our house.

JB, you have a recording studio? Wow! What kind of work do you do there? I have to stay on my plan all week. I think if I tried to take a break I would never go back to it. I'm thinking of it as a lifestyle and not really a diet. But I do eat stuff sometimes, like pizza or ice cream. Just a little so it still fits in my plan. And not very often. Maybe once a month or less we go to Pizza Hut and I get a personal thin pizza. I like the thin crust because it's fewer calories. And I eat 3/4 of it and give the last little piece to hubby, so mine comes to about 555 calories. And it has lots of sodium, so I have to be really careful on sodium the rest of the day. You have to ask for the personal size thin crust, because it's not on the menu. But that pizza is a real treat for me. In the old days I could have eaten half a large pan pizza, loaded with meat and cheese. Those days are over.

Katla, We are out at the lake cabin and right now I'm in the recliner with a warm puppy snoring on my lap. I was thinking yesterday that this place is my hubby's equivalent of your hubby's motor home. I wish I had spoken up and said no. I don't have to drive it, but I do have to clean it. He just uses it as a quiet place to grade papers, so he's usually upstairs in his office and not really enjoying it anyway. I said yesterday I felt it was a horrible drudge, and not fun at all, and he threatened to leave me at home next time. Of course he would never do that, because then nobody would be out here to fix his meals and pick up his dirty clothes. And I don't want to be at home without him, so next week I will be right here again. I guess it's a small price to pay for all he does for me, but I have fantasies about selling this place.

I hope you are all having a great weekend. We have sprung forward, so I hope the real spring comes soon.

Sylvia

Today's joke:

Men are like a pack of Cards:

A "heart" to love them

A "diamond" to marry them

A "club" to smack them and

A "spade" to bury the body...
  • losingw8now
    losingw8now Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!! I just found you all and you sound like a great group of women to connect with. My schedule doesn't always allow me to do much more than get on and log and give some support to my "friends" on my feed (I don't have a smart phone to use whereever/whenever) but some days have more time than others and would like to be able to connect here.

My name is Rose (losingw8now) 237 lbs started at 261 end of last August, but got off track at the holidays and have only gotten back on track about a week ago. But my head is back in it now.

Love the stories, the jokes, and the support I have read here (mostly the first 3 pages and the last 3 - sorry for those in between but there are a lot of posts on here right now!)

March goals are to:
    log everyday and start to preplan my meals again
    drop my cal goal 200 cals during this month
    begin exercising, even if just a couple of times per week
    get more veggies and fresh fruits into my daily diet

Rose in Baltimore, MD
  • lauraharris3557440
    lauraharris3557440 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm new here been on for a week I lost 4lbs but my fitness says i lost 2 and i put in 4 dose this happen to every one
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: I wondered what kind of course would have a person make deliberate mistakes. Then I thought maybe the course was to help those of us who are ridiculously anal about doing the right thing EVERY time. I sometimes forget that every decision is not “life or death.”:blushing: Thanks for your comments. They nudge me in the right direction.:flowerforyou:

Alison: It sounds like you are making progress, and so is your DH. I’ll keep you in my prayers. :flowerforyou: On the diet front: Plateaus happen. I’m an expert on the subject. Log every bite and swallow, plus all of your cardio to make sure you’re not missing some important factor, then be patient with your body. Just keep doing the right thing and the plateau will eventually pass. Drinking more water has helped me deal with water retention, which definitely shows up on the scale. Your lemon water helped me with that. :drinker:

DeeDee: Thanks for your kind words. I do feel better this morning, a good night’s sleep was very helpful. So was looking ahead. Will this be our last car purchase? The concept blew me away, and I have to say I doubt it will be the last ever, but I sincerely hope it will be the last for a good long while.:tongue::wink:

Sylvia: I’m glad your son has made a decision about his treatment options. He sounds like a thoughtful and wise young man. Less invasive treatment is always best until it is not getting results. :flowerforyou: I am in favor of closet purging when it is time for smaller clothes. I’ve saved things one size up from where I am now so I’ll have them available when the things that fit are in the wash. I really don’t have a very big wardrobe. I agree with your point about taking a “day off” from living healthy. I do have treats and sometimes I go over my allotted calories, but not for more than a day. This is my lifestyle and luckily, DH is fully on board with it. :bigsmile: The sailboat is our “cabin,” & I’m the one who wants to hang onto it.:flowerforyou:

JB: We’re back to allowing ourselves an occasional pizza as a treat, and we favor Papa Murphy’s. The pizzerias have way too much sodium for DH, who has blood pressure issues. I’ve come to like using less sodium since I’ve been leaving it out of so many things for his sake. I now use less salt, but I still add some at the table for myself. My mom used to lick her palm, pour a little bit of salt into it, and then lick off the salt.:noway:

Jeannie Sue, in IL & all newbies: We’re full of encouragement. Welcome. Tell us more about yourself and where you live. My best weight loss advice is to log every bite and swallow, and move more.:flowerforyou:

Michele: What is the Green Room? I love hearing about your active and connected life style. Your worrywart comment made me smile. I don’t think of myself as a worrywart, but the description fits me all too well.:tongue::laugh:

Yanniejannie: My parents were both teens during the depression, and my mom never got over it. She was an obese child, and shy, and her dad moved the family frequently to get work during that time. My dad was raised by his widowed mother who went into business for herself to support her 5 kids after her husband died at a young age. She owned a series of restaurants. Both of my parents were frugal, and habitually would “squeeze a dime until it squeeks,” to quote my mom. I never learned to enjoy shopping. This weight loss adventure has really been the first time I’ve enjoyed shopping and my best NSVs have been smaller clothes.:love::bigsmile:

Lee: I love your advice to Sandy. Rewards from the bucket list to celebrate important milestones are an excellent idea.:flowerforyou:

I’ve discovered that I like to start my day here, and often finish it here as well. I appreciate all of you for what you bring to my life. One of my goals for this month is to have fun every day. I’ve ruined a couple of potentially fun days with stress, but today I want to have fun. DH and I will decide what that will be in a moment. I’m thinking a drive out to the coast should go on the short list of possibilities.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

March goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Move more: cardio at least 3 days a week and strength training as soon as I am able.
    3. Find a way to have fun at least once every day.
    4. Water: According to an article I saw on facebook, drinking water at certain times maximizes its effectiveness for the body. I’ll work toward following these guidelines:
    * 2 glasses of water after waking up - helps activate internal organs
    * 1 glass of water 30 minutes before a meal - helps digestion
    * 1 glass of water before taking a bath - helps lower blood pressure
    * 1 glass of water before going to bed - avoids stroke or heart attack
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Cravingfreedom: welcome! My suggestion would be to start small with something very important: logging your food. Whatever it is. Even if it's junk food or something else you think you shouldn't eat, log it. It's a real eye-opener. Before you know it you will feel the power of being able to make choices.

(Then you'll be looking for things to fill the time you used to spend eating! :laugh: )
    Good luck!
    Cynthia
  • janehadji
    janehadji Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I don't have my usual computer to answer as I read today, so forgive me if I miss someone. It's another gorgeous, sunny day in Denver. We keep alternating between snow and warm days, but that's typical here.

We had another mini-crisis last night. Our son called at 4am to say that he'd been attacked by someone trying to steal his car (his hand was all bruised up), and that the person had taken off with his keys (but not his car -- I don't know the details). He got a ride with someone and came home to get the extra key. Well, hubby blew up at him big time and they had a huge argument. Son left with the friend to pick up his car, and I guess he then slept in it, since his condo keys were on the stolen key ring. He refused to come back here. I just hate middle-of-the-night phone calls. We're worried that one of these times something terrible is going to happen to him. I know that boys of his age make a lot of stupid choices (he's 21), but it just seems like he shouldn't need to be downtown clubbing into the wee hours. Or smoking. I'm always stuck between him and hubby. I'm sure I'll get another call soon, as a locksmith will undoubtedly want a title for proof of ownership before opening up the condo.

Of course, my first thought was to eat. But I haven't so far, so wish me luck for the rest of the day!

Katia -- Glad that you and DH found a car that your both like!

DeeDee -- I've had my current "main car" for 10 years now, but it's hit 92k miles (we bought this one new off the lot), and I don't like to drive anything once it gets close to 100k, hence my quest for the next one. Hubby mostly plays musical cars with his main car, although he wants to change all of them now. We've had our extra "weekend car" for 6 years, a 6-series BMW convertible, and he thinks it needs to go soon, too. For me, I don't need to change cars until the mileage starts getting too high, as long as I have something that I enjoy.

Joyce -- We all struggle at times, which is what this group is so good for! Chocolate seems to call my name on a regular basis, too, so I try to save some calories for a little a couple of times a week. I think it's often stress-related, so maybe the urge will lessen once you get your vacation figured out. Prison might be a good place to lose weight, but it's downsides would probably offset the pluses! LOL

Jane in Colorado
  • lmerner
    lmerner Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am 55 years old and weight 177 pds. I have high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Until age 37 my average weight was 120 and I never worried about what I ate. It was was devastating to me when I started to gain weight but I didn't know how to change my eating habits (I am a chocoholic) so I didn't.

In September of 2011 I saw myself in a family photo, I weighted 232 pounds I was out of control, right then something clicked in my head and I knew I had to do something, my health was going down hill fast. I did a little research and found the waist-aweigh program through my insurance where they would pay for a weight loss program as long as I lost one BMI point every 60 days. Over the next 18 months I was able to lose 80 pds, I was motivated and though there were a lot of times I wanted to give up I managed to keep going. I hit my healthy weight of 154 pds and graduated the program in January of 2012. Over the next few months I got down to 149 and felt really good about myself. I had been exercising for 45 minutes six days a week for 21 months (I hate to sweat so it wasn't intense exercise. Everyone at work was supportive and actually seemed to admire me for the progress I was making.

About June of last year I let myself start adding more and more junk food into my diet and now I am out of control again and cannot for the life of me figure out how I had the willpower to control my junk food cravings. I can't control the overwhelming cravings and once I start eating chips or chocolate I don't stop until I'm feeling sick. I am completely disgusted with myself. I need freedom from these cravings and am hoping that I can find motivation again. It seems like my only thoughts are "what can I find to put in my mouth next" I've tried substituting apples, celery, and carrots for a snack but I did that for 18 months and I'm sick of it. I try to find more healthy options like nuts but I can't stop eating those once I start either.

In a nut shell, I can't find anything that actually satisfies me, I need to find a way to brainwash myself into not feeling the need to eat. Any helpful thoughts would be appreciated. I'm still exercising but exercise alone will not keep the weight off.

Cravingfreedom: I recently found myself craving sweets constantly...this is weird for me as I am usually more of savoury girl.
    i think you need to shake things up.
    Take the "snacky" foods away completely for at least a week...2weeks would be better.
    Try going back to apples, celery etc. but add protein to those snacks every time to satisfy you!
    Apples with peanut butter on each slice, apples with vanilla Greek yogurt to dip... You get the idea
    If you do snack on nuts....take the portion size and put it in a dish .... Then put the rest away!....take your snack away from the temptation of a refill....enjoy each nut individually so they last longer

Hope these tips are helpful to get you back on track, you can do this!

Lee in Ontario
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the newbies - It helped me a lot to clear the cupboards and fridge of everything I considered detrimental to my health journey. (I have started calling it health journey, instead of weight loss journey). Some people can consume a little junk food and be done with the cravings, but that just is not realistic for me. The whole family knows there are never cookies or chocolate in the house, and no juices in the fridge either. Chips, pop or beer are not an issue for me, so I don't care if they are in the house. I typically eat some protein in every meal, and smaller portions of food.

Yesterday, DH went out grocery shopping; I had mentioned to him I would really like some chocolate. He came home with 90% dark chocolate kind!!! 90%? Yuck, just a piece of bitter yuck. Good thing he made a "mistake"!! because I won't touch it, hahaha.

Has anyone heard of the "Grain Brain"? It has been on PBS. We do have the book "Wheat Belly" which I read, and wondered if the "Grain Brain" book was similar.

Daylight savings time here too. I love it. Wish it would stay year 'round.

Time to call my mom, so ttyl.
    Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC