Potato chip substitute

Options

Replies

• chevysarah
    Options
    Try Kale Chips!
    Kale is a green, leafy vegatable.... you can look up some recipes online. But, basically, you cut up the kale, use a little olive oil spray to coat and bake for 15 min or so. You can sprinkle lightly with sea salt or any seasonings that you like. It's like a super thin, crispy potato chip! No joke!

I agree... these are awesome! Even my big burly "only eats man food" boyfriend likes them!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    You can bake your own sweet potato chips too! So good for you!
  • pbxr
    pbxr Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    The thing I was missing with trying not to eat chips was the CRUNCH. I have found that sugar snap peas meet my need for a crunch, and because they're sweeter (for a veggie), I don't feel deprived ~ I actually enjoy them. Also, I keep natural almonds around all the time.

When I have to have a chip, I don't want "diet" chips. I go for the real deal ~ Pringle's! I stick to the serving size & count them out faithfully. They're very easy to do a half or quarter portion with, too. On a day that I just need a little crunch, I'll have four chips (a quarter serving) and it satisfies my craving.

Keep plugging away & you'll find what works for YOU. :flowerforyou:
  • droppin_lbs
    droppin_lbs Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing this recipe! I will make it tomorrow with a sweet potatoes...yummy...:smile:
  • EmmieSu
    EmmieSu Posts: 136
    Options
    Zuchinni chips or sweet potato fries, slice thin, spray with Pam and add your favorite seasonings, and bake. If your wanting chips, only eat 1 serving, so if that's 11 chips, have 11 chips. If you can eat them and stay in your calorie range. All the other times, I tried to "diet" I had the it's-not-on-my-diet mentallity, and guess what, I failed. This time, if I want something, I eat it, but only 1 serving. I've lost 15 lbs, and I don't feel deprieved. I've never lost 15 lbs, so its working for me. Choose the chip that gives you the most chips with fewer calories. I personally, do not like the baked chips, but I'm not a huge chip eater. Fresh fruit and vegs, cottage cheese, yogurt and jellos are great with a sandwich,too.
  • Crosby2010
    Crosby2010 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This is where the 100 cal packaging comes in handy. Not the most practical from a $$ perspective as they are more costly. But I'm telling ya, it works for me....especially at the movies when my hubby and kids are muching on popcorn and pop. I have a 100 cal baked lays or pringles and maybe a 100 Cadbury Thin Milk chocolate bar. I feel as thought I "got to have something" and don't sit there in miserable and depraved. Instead of pop, I fill up a 500 ml bottle of water and add one of those Crystal lite or Nestea flavoured drink packets (about 5 cals?) or something similar.
  • corderoinkuna
    Options
    Ok, this takes a little planning but here is what works for me ‘cause I too love chips and am on a tight budget. I purchase whatever type of chip I love and I also arm myself with snack baggies (you know the smaller size than a sandwich bag) and the first thing I do when I get home it open up the bag (and without eating the said chips) I pre portion size out my chips according to the package. Then I can have my chips and eat them too!
  • ckehoe89
    ckehoe89 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    there are lots of substitute for potato chips. I buy soy chips, which are similar to rice crackers, but they come in a variety of flavors and are delicious. I also eat veggie sticks, which aren't really a serving of veggies but you can have quite a lot for little calories, and no sat. fat.
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I usually have cottage cheese with my sandwich :bigsmile:
  • TennVolsGal
    TennVolsGal Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    what about baked chips, we eat them and they are about 120 cals per serving.

Try the new 1/2 calorie chips from Lays that are made in a kind of oil the doesn't add fat.....20 chips 75 calories no fat! Chips are my weakness too!
  • 70moretogo
    Options
    I have a weakness for potato chips,too. I usually substitute rice cakes (ranch flavored Quaker brand is good) as a substitute for ranch flavored Doritos.
  • IamRoJ
    IamRoJ Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    One other idea - just rememberd about Snow Pea Crisps or sometimes they're called Snappeas...Trader Joes has them, and I recently found some in the Asian section of my local grocery store. They are SUPER yummy - a little too adicting - I have trouble stopping with the suggested serving size.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Just measure out a reasonable serving of them onto your plate, put the bag back in the closet and then sit down and eat what you've got.
  • samsimpsonis
    samsimpsonis Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    snapea crisps..delish - our new fav by far. still watch your intake but really cuts the craving for chips. Wasabi ranch flavour is amazing.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Just measure out a reasonable serving of them onto your plate, put the bag back in the closet and then sit down and eat what you've got.

You keep your chips in a closet? What else do you have in there? :huh:
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    veggie straws!! They are salty and crunchy and delish!!!
  • samgohr
    samgohr Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I really like the Special K Cracker Chips, Lay's Oven Baked Chips, and anything Kettle cooked. It helps to portion out your serving so you're not sitting there with the whole bag. Put your sandwich on the plate and put a handful and a half on the plate, that's usually the serving size.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Cardboard?
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I make my own chips. I just slice a potato as thinly as possible. Maybe add a touch of salt. Lay them in a single layer on a piece of wax paper, and microwave them until they start to turn brown like they might be burning (6ish minutes...depends on how thin you slice). They are totally delicious, and you just have the calories from the potato.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

You keep your chips in a closet? What else do you have in there? :huh:
    Tom Cruise, but he won't come out.