Is marriage a big waste of time ?

Options

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Marriage is work, but I find it is a lot less work than being single and trying to run a household by myself!
  • Fivepts
    Fivepts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    The first 30 years are the hardest.

(Married for 51 years so speak from experience.)

Haha. That's great.
  • SweetTrouble_
    SweetTrouble_ Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I don't think so, so far.
  • Luryso
    Luryso Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Everything @Carly said is what I would have said before I found out that my ex-wife was cheating on me. 19 years together...13 years married, 3 great kids, two great jobs, one great house, 3 vacations a year, wonderful supportive families...and I thought we were on the same page, but it turns out that her page was cheating on me for the last year of our marriage with her boss (who was 20 years older, and married as well).

I know that my story is my story and not yours. My story is 7 years in the past, but it has kept me from moving into any sort of serious stage with any woman since then. I don't believe that I will ever trust a woman in a relationship again for the remainder of my life, and yes, that is upsetting to me. I loved being in love. I loved having someone to talk to in bed at the end of the day. I loved having intimate moments, and secrets, and jokes that only we knew the meaning of. I loved planning and thinking about the future and watching our wonderful children grow up and make mistakes and find successes. I loved being romantic. I loved having someone that would accept me when I cried and light up when I smiled.

But if there was ever a person on the planet that I trusted, it was her, and I feel stupid for what seems like a naive trust that I had and gave her. I trusted her to be honest and true to me and our family. She was a good person, the best I knew. And so, when the best person you know, the person who made you a better person, the person who you strived to be more like, the person that meant everything to you, violates you in that way, it tends to shatter you from the inside out. It tends to scream at you from inside your head that "IF THAT PERSON CAN'T BE TRUSTED, THEN NOBODY CAN!" And so, since then, each time I begin to trust a person, I back off because I'm reminded, in a powerful way, that my "trust" reality is a false sense of security and in order to avoid the fall and the pain, I need to avoid the relationship to begin with.

I'm disappointed that I've become a person who shakes his head and gently sighs/laughs/mocks the people who could stand up and say, "if you want it to work, you make it work", or "you have to work everyday at marriage, and if you do, then it works", or, "if you love each other enough, things will be great". I did. It didn't work. And again, I realize that I'm just one story and maybe I'm the exception and not the rule...and of course there probably is no rule. But there is human nature to consider. And I no longer believe that human nature dictates that it is normal or natural for two people to be true to one another for their entire adult lives.

I believe that it was easier 150 years ago when there weren't so many distractions in life, opportunities for finding new things, and the ease at which we can shift gears from one happiness to a brand new happiness; whether it's a new exercise class, a new cell phone, a new vacation spot, a new restaurant, new friends, a new job, or even a new lover.

For those of you that are still reading, and wondering if I gave her a second chance. Of course I did. If nothing else, we had children together. Even if I didn't want to fight for us, I wanted to fight for them. Within 5 minutes of her telling me about cheating, I forgave her opening and truthfully. I did not want this cloud cast over our children, and so I told her that I forgave her, asked her to talk to me, asked her to stop, asked her to go to counseling, asked her to talk with her friends, and asked her to consider how a divorce would impact her children (at the time they were 3, 7, and 11). She replied by handing me a book about co-parenting after divorce, told me that she had already seen a lawyer, and told me that she hadn't been in love with me for a long time. Tell me honestly, those of you happily married, if this happened to you, how would it impact the way you view marriage, relationships, and trust?

I'm a good person. I'm in tune with things around me. I am a great father. I run my own business. I have friends, I'm a good cook, I can build acoustic guitars, I can sing and write and be playful even at 43 years of age. I absorb current events regularly and stay connected with things and people in my community. My point is that I'm a regular man. I wasn't ignoring my wife while burying my head under the hood of a hot rod that would never be completely restored and rarely emerging from a constant semi-drunk-state-of-mind wasting my life in my recliner wondering if I'd get my turkey pot pie brought to me before halftime. That person might deserve my fate, but I didn't.

But I digress. :)

She appeased me for about 5 counseling sessions that I realize now were more for outward appearances than any true effort on her part. She was sure that she was in love with this new man and nothing was going to stop or change that.

Today she's married to him, and lives almost the exact life that we had together, but just a mile and a half away. She goes to work, she has the same handful of friends, few hobbies, same car, new furniture, same favorites spots, etc. But she comes home to a different man than I was/am. I don't know if you would think he's better or worse than I am, but he's different and I guess that's what she wanted. We raise our kids a week at a time. She gets them for a week, and then we switch, and so forth. I'm sure that they hate the planned transience that has been forced on them even though we have tried our best to create two comfortable and consistent homes.

As for me, I was deeply depressed for the first two years. Almost overnight, I lost my identity. I was a husband and father, and I would become single and a part-time father. I would, in an instant, lose 26 weeks each year of watching my kids laugh, and learn, and grow. Gone, just like that. I didn't have a purpose. In that life, everything I did was for my wife and children. In my new life, my "kid" weeks would be hectic (at first) and confusing and rushed trying to accomplish everything on my own. In my new life, on my "kid-less" weeks, I wouldn't know what to do with myself. I would go from 100MPH to 0, week after week after week. My married men-friends would say, "Oh, what I'd give for a week to myself", not realizing just how ignorant that statement could be. Afterall, I wasn't on vacation.

Today, I'm father of the year in my kids eyes. I'm funny, caring, creative, supportive and most importantly, I'm present. After having a handful of failed relationships (likely due to my lack of trust) that took an enormous amount of time, energy and money, I have settled into the idea of staying single and being the best dad that I can be while my kids finish the short time they have living at home before going to college.

My youngest, my daughter, my princess, is 9 years old, and I know that she's happier when my attention is on her and her brothers, and nobody else. And I know that once she goes off to college, I'm going to be a mess, but that I spent my time doing what was important for them, rather than spending effort and energy on trying to replace something missing in my life. I'll have time for that in 10 years, and maybe I'll find something again, or maybe I won't. While I feel less fulfilled today in some aspects of my life, I don't feel fooled and I always feel like I'm in more control of my destiny and not leaving the most important parts of me in the hands of another person.
  • jkowula
    jkowula Posts: 447
    Options
    It's funny as I read some of these comments. When I was younger.. well in my 20's I would have wrote the same things. "I am never getting married." "Its just a piece of paper". "People change too much". How wrong was I? I admit it I was totally wrong. See the thing with me was I never found the "one" until I was older. Now that I am 44 and have been married for 13 years, I could never see myself living any other way. It has been wonderful. I don't know where I would be if I was not married to my wonderful wife. She has given me 2 awesome kids. She keeps me grounded, she gives me life, she gives me stability, she loves me for ME and I love her for that. We do everything together, she is my best friend!

I keep thinking how awful it would be for me to be in the dating scene again. My god, I thought marriage takes a lot of work! I don't think I could do it now. Way too much stressing out and worrying.

So to answer your question.. Hell no it's not a big waste of time, I actually think being single or dating would be a big waste of time for me.
  • Smackemdanno
    Smackemdanno Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Just had my 20th anniversary on the 5th. Marriage is the single greatest adventure in this life. Friends come and go, kids grow up and move out but waking up next to the person you love more than life itself never grows old. Its no fairy tale, especially living with me, but being on the rollercoaster of single, dating, on again-off again is just lonely. Having a companion you do everything with, trust completely and all around enjoy being around...there is just no substitute. She keeps me young and inspires me to get off my fat lazy butt and get good looking like she is. Marriage is more than a contract or a commitment. It is a form of eternal existence and a completion of oneself.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    No, marriage does not help with weight loss.

Complete and utter tosh. I'd still be 17 stone and miserable, if my wife hadn't pulled me up by my bootstraps and set me going down the weightloss route.

:laugh:

Plus having someone to cook healthy meals for, and them to cook healthy meals for you is priceless. My wife is my drill sergeant, my confidant, my nurse and my cheerleader.

All that said, I once saw a demotivational poster that said "Marriage is living with someone you want to murder. But you don't because you'd miss them."

And yeah. On occasions...

Now we could have all that and not be married, of course. But, as a couple in a same sex union, the additional legal paperwork has been worth the cost of the ceremony. (And the fact we're converting the union to a real-honest marriage as soon as the Government lets us is basically because we also want the big party...)
  • jkowula
    jkowula Posts: 447
    Options
    @Luryso - Wow dude, that is a heartbreaking story. I couldn't even imagine if that was me. Someone with a story like yours I find impossible to judge because I have never walked in your shoes, I can just hope I never have to experience it. You sound like a smart guy, keep your head up and good luck to you...
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    As someone who has been married for nearly 10 years, I know it isn't a waste of my time. Is it hard? Yep-one of the hardest things you'll ever do. Is it work? Absolutely-you have to work at it every single day. Is it worth it? Mine is-my husband is my best friend, my confidante, and my biggest challenger, and I love him every day for it.

I will say that, like a lot of things, marriage isn't for everyone. There are a lot of people out there who get really excited about "the wedding" but don't focus on "the marriage" and it's a hard road for them once the wedding event itself is over. It's not all puppies and sunshine. It's arguments over the laundry, sucky family members, where are we going for Christmas this year, and sick kids. But it's also beach vacations, inside jokes, Thursday nights on the couch, and knowing that you've got someone to talk to when you need them.

OP - you said, "In today's world where adultery & betrayal has become a sort of a norm, so why should one invest his lifetime & money into a scheme which would gives nothing in return other than a life filled with pain and suffering?" If we're doing it right (and it's admittedly very hard - you have to be willing to and actually work at it every single day), then this life shouldn't be filled wit pain and suffering. There should be far more love and happiness than that.

I'll admit, I know I'm lucky. I love my husband very much. Has every day of the past 10 years been great? No, it hasn't. And those times when it's bad, it would be easy in a lot of ways to quit. But, I am fortunate enough to have chosen someone who is equally committed to this lifelong oath as I am, and we show that by being honest and faithful. There is a song out right now that says "The bad times make the good times better." I'm a believer.

^^This..I dont' think I could have said it better myself. I am investing in him everyday, and he in me. He is there to lift me up when I feel like I can't do it on my own and vice versa. Do we have issues...yep...does he occaisionally do something that makes me wonder if I really know him (BTW he totally puts up with me being BatSH*t crazy)...yep...but it's all about work. If you are committed to that person you put in the time and you make it happen, much like being here and losing weight. It isn't easy, but the rewards and benefits far outweigh anything else when you have the right person.
  • timberowl
    timberowl Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I was married once...for 6 months. That's only because the annullment proceedings took 3. Married 19 May, kicked him out 6 August, finalized 5 November.

The people that say you have to work hard at it are right. It takes both people being willing to be patient, kind, respectful and dedicated to making the marriage work. Even with the "perfect" partner, you have to put effort into it. Something most guys I've dated can't seem to coprehend.
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Everything @Carly said is what I would have said before I found out that my ex-wife was cheating on me. 19 years together...13 years married, 3 great kids, two great jobs, one great house, 3 vacations a year, wonderful supportive families...and I thought we were on the same page, but it turns out that her page was cheating on me for the last year of our marriage with her boss (who was 20 years older, and married as well).

I know that my story is my story and not yours. My story is 7 years in the past, but it has kept me from moving into any sort of serious stage with any woman since then. I don't believe that I will ever trust a woman in a relationship again for the remainder of my life, and yes, that is upsetting to me. I loved being in love. I loved having someone to talk to in bed at the end of the day. I loved having intimate moments, and secrets, and jokes that only we knew the meaning of. I loved planning and thinking about the future and watching our wonderful children grow up and make mistakes and find successes. I loved being romantic. I loved having someone that would accept me when I cried and light up when I smiled.

But if there was ever a person on the planet that I trusted, it was her, and I feel stupid for what seems like a naive trust that I had and gave her. I trusted her to be honest and true to me and our family. She was a good person, the best I knew. And so, when the best person you know, the person who made you a better person, the person who you strived to be more like, the person that meant everything to you, violates you in that way, it tends to shatter you from the inside out. It tends to scream at you from inside your head that "IF THAT PERSON CAN'T BE TRUSTED, THEN NOBODY CAN!" And so, since then, each time I begin to trust a person, I back off because I'm reminded, in a powerful way, that my "trust" reality is a false sense of security and in order to avoid the fall and the pain, I need to avoid the relationship to begin with.

I'm disappointed that I've become a person who shakes his head and gently sighs/laughs/mocks the people who could stand up and say, "if you want it to work, you make it work", or "you have to work everyday at marriage, and if you do, then it works", or, "if you love each other enough, things will be great". I did. It didn't work. And again, I realize that I'm just one story and maybe I'm the exception and not the rule...and of course there probably is no rule. But there is human nature to consider. And I no longer believe that human nature dictates that it is normal or natural for two people to be true to one another for their entire adult lives.

I believe that it was easier 150 years ago when there weren't so many distractions in life, opportunities for finding new things, and the ease at which we can shift gears from one happiness to a brand new happiness; whether it's a new exercise class, a new cell phone, a new vacation spot, a new restaurant, new friends, a new job, or even a new lover.

For those of you that are still reading, and wondering if I gave her a second chance. Of course I did. If nothing else, we had children together. Even if I didn't want to fight for us, I wanted to fight for them. Within 5 minutes of her telling me about cheating, I forgave her opening and truthfully. I did not want this cloud cast over our children, and so I told her that I forgave her, asked her to talk to me, asked her to stop, asked her to go to counseling, asked her to talk with her friends, and asked her to consider how a divorce would impact her children (at the time they were 3, 7, and 11). She replied by handing me a book about co-parenting after divorce, told me that she had already seen a lawyer, and told me that she hadn't been in love with me for a long time. Tell me honestly, those of you happily married, if this happened to you, how would it impact the way you view marriage, relationships, and trust?

I'm a good person. I'm in tune with things around me. I am a great father. I run my own business. I have friends, I'm a good cook, I can build acoustic guitars, I can sing and write and be playful even at 43 years of age. I absorb current events regularly and stay connected with things and people in my community. My point is that I'm a regular man. I wasn't ignoring my wife while burying my head under the hood of a hot rod that would never be completely restored and rarely emerging from a constant semi-drunk-state-of-mind wasting my life in my recliner wondering if I'd get my turkey pot pie brought to me before halftime. That person might deserve my fate, but I didn't.

But I digress. :)

She appeased me for about 5 counseling sessions that I realize now were more for outward appearances than any true effort on her part. She was sure that she was in love with this new man and nothing was going to stop or change that.

Today she's married to him, and lives almost the exact life that we had together, but just a mile and a half away. She goes to work, she has the same handful of friends, few hobbies, same car, new furniture, same favorites spots, etc. But she comes home to a different man than I was/am. I don't know if you would think he's better or worse than I am, but he's different and I guess that's what she wanted. We raise our kids a week at a time. She gets them for a week, and then we switch, and so forth. I'm sure that they hate the planned transience that has been forced on them even though we have tried our best to create two comfortable and consistent homes.

As for me, I was deeply depressed for the first two years. Almost overnight, I lost my identity. I was a husband and father, and I would become single and a part-time father. I would, in an instant, lose 26 weeks each year of watching my kids laugh, and learn, and grow. Gone, just like that. I didn't have a purpose. In that life, everything I did was for my wife and children. In my new life, my "kid" weeks would be hectic (at first) and confusing and rushed trying to accomplish everything on my own. In my new life, on my "kid-less" weeks, I wouldn't know what to do with myself. I would go from 100MPH to 0, week after week after week. My married men-friends would say, "Oh, what I'd give for a week to myself", not realizing just how ignorant that statement could be. Afterall, I wasn't on vacation.

Today, I'm father of the year in my kids eyes. I'm funny, caring, creative, supportive and most importantly, I'm present. After having a handful of failed relationships (likely due to my lack of trust) that took an enormous amount of time, energy and money, I have settled into the idea of staying single and being the best dad that I can be while my kids finish the short time they have living at home before going to college.

My youngest, my daughter, my princess, is 9 years old, and I know that she's happier when my attention is on her and her brothers, and nobody else. And I know that once she goes off to college, I'm going to be a mess, but that I spent my time doing what was important for them, rather than spending effort and energy on trying to replace something missing in my life. I'll have time for that in 10 years, and maybe I'll find something again, or maybe I won't. While I feel less fulfilled today in some aspects of my life, I don't feel fooled and I always feel like I'm in more control of my destiny and not leaving the most important parts of me in the hands of another person.

I am so sorry this happened to you...No one should have to go throught that. I can only say, it works when BOTH partners or working. She obviously wasn't. It makes me sad to see a good man brought down to this, as there are so few of you out there. My husband was one. We had both been cheated on and discarded by others and had trust issues. We found that it helped us build a foundation, and learn to trust and love again. We had many open and honest discussions about expectations and dealbreakers, even then we didn't talk about commitment beyond living together. It wasn't until I introduced him to my kids after 6 months of dating it changed. He immediately loved them and became that missing link. I had never seen anyone treat them the way he did, not as baggage, but as people. We have had another child together, and he is an amazing father, and exactly how you describe yourself. He is a wonderul human being, that makes me want to challenge myself to be better everyday. I even sometime feel like I let him down because he is just that awesome.

I hope one of these days you find that, that you meet that person that is able to see who you are and what you can be to them, and helps you build that foundation of trust again. It feels so good to love and be loved and feel like you have an equal partner, and I wish that for you. :flowerforyou:

P.S. you might try working with a counselor on your own to help. I know therapy has helped me with a lot of things including being a better partner to him and dealing with my trust issues.
  • SilentDrapeRunners
    SilentDrapeRunners Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Marriage is totally worth it - I was eating wedding cake for weeks and I have a drawer full of cuttlery that I have no idea what it's used for

Love this, because isn't this how all guys view the wedding? (be honest) Some women too (myself included)....I would NOT want a wedding (except maybe for the cake and fine cuttlery :) But that's why you have a 'celebration party' ....after the wedding at the courthouse & the honeymoon in another country. Save the money that would have gone towards the wedding (aka princess for a day), and put it towards a honeymoon that both husband and wife can enjoy. My point is, everyone has different desires/wishes/hopes/dreams. My boyfriend and I have been together for 7 years. He has absolutely no desire to get married (doesn't see the point, against it for the religious roots, etc.). At first, I didn't want to get married either, but now I do...and I can't exactly explain why. I think maybe because of the finality of it (not to say that you can't get divorced, but I don't think you should stay in a committed relationship and not get married for the reason of having an easier out). I can see your point about not getting married and having more time/emotional energy to devote to what some would say are more important things- contributing to science, art, etc. Getting married (or being in a committed relationship) does take a lot of time and can be physically, mentally, and emotionally draining. Some people may put all their energy into a relationship and have no more energy to do other things. But some people may draw energy from the relationship which gives them the energy to do more things. It really depends on the person and the relationship, I think.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Let me begin by saying that I am not against the institution of marriage.Also i wish all of those blissfully married people all the happiness in the life.May your marriage be blessed with love, joy and companionship for all the years of your lives.

Marriage is a very hard thing and requires people with qualities like selflessness,magnanimity,pragmatism,empathy & candor.Unfortunately these qualities are getting rarer & rarer these days as the world is becoming full of self-centered,egoistic & inconsiderate narcissist's.It seems people get into relationship for fulfilling lustful desires & to attain financial gain.The good old love has been lost forever.

In today's world where adultery & betrayal has become a sort of a norm, so why should one invest his life,time & money into a scheme which would gives nothing in return other than a life filled with pain and suffering? Why work hard for a thing only to end up beneath a gravestone remembered by none.Rather that time and energy could be devoted to drawing a beautiful painting or writing a new scientific theory or inventing a new machine and be forever immortalized into the minds of the future generation.

Completely depends on the people. I'm going to be remembered as the wife I am, and the mother I am. My husband and I have been married for 24 years. We've had our ups and downs, good and bad times, and it's been hard work, but it's been rewarding work. It's work we've never questioned wanting to keep doing. Too many people jump into it thinking that if it doesn't work out they'll just jump back out of it. There's a loss of vision - people have lost the idea of the commitment to a lifelong relationship. My husband and I are still in it until death do us part - and that's what we dread. We want to be together and keep on working at it. The death of one of us will end our marriage and we dread that day.

Our oldest son married two years ago to a wonderful woman and I see a lot of our young selves in their relationship. It gives me hope for their generation that they've learned from us and their marriage may have the longevity our has.
  • nozzy48
    nozzy48 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Damn, I think I'm in the wrong thread!! Eeek.

28t7qth.png
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    That's deep.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    things that are big wastes of time : marriage , children,sobriety ,dating websites,college/university,thanksigiving,whatever Stephen Harper does
  • susie3g
    susie3g Posts: 267
    Options
    I think some people are a big waste of time, but not marriage, itself, necessarily.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    things that are big wastes of time : marriage , children,sobriety ,dating websites,college/university,thanksigiving,whatever Stephen Harper does

maybe for you, but there are 7 billion people in the world. diffrent strokes for diffrent folks.
  • cindyb1984
    cindyb1984 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    My ex cheated after 10 months...I would say mine was a waste of time...
  • stephsmom93
    stephsmom93 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    In April my husband and I will be celebrating our 27th wedding anniversary. We've been together for over 30 years. I could not imagine my life journey without him. Has it been all roses? Not at all. We have survived things that I have seen other couples walk away from. I think the hard times made us stronger and truth be told I found what kind of woman I am and what kind of man I married through the hard and difficult times. Instead of placing blame or holding on to resentment we always stood together and had each others back. Marriage is easy when is sunny and bright. It's those hard times you battle together even if one in the relationship is completely at fault that makes you a stronger and happier couple. I remember when I returned to work after our honeymoon and everyone was telling me their war stories and one man said, "We'll see how happy you are by year 3!" I smiled and told him, "I can't wait to see how we are when celebrate 30!" There are times I wanted to rip his eyes out and I sure there were plenty of times he wanted to ship me home to my parents but one thing I know...there is one person in this world that knows everything about me. Knows every mole, scar, what sets me off, what makes me giggle, what makes me cry, what I'm ashamed of and would like to hide, when I need to be roped in, and when I need to fly and that's my husband. That is something. I'd say marriage is so worth it when you are willing to put the other person first, learn to forgive, let go of grudges, realize it's not a game, and chose the right person to fall in love with. Somehow my husband brings out the best me.