15 min of exercise… thought I was going to die. Advice?

Options

Replies

• vbrent07
    vbrent07 Posts: 115
    Options
    I would just start walking first and then gradually increase the impact and type of exercise. I've been going to the fitness blender website for a few weeks and they have many different levels, if you want try a few of there low impact ones on days you cant walk or if you want something different besides walking each day (they are free). Its going to take some time for your body to adjust to exercise so don't feel discouraged if its hard in the beginning! I started off walking and doing low impact exercises a few years ago now I do the higher impact but it took time for my body to get use to it, just don't give up!
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else has said, just keep going, it does get so much easier. You'll truly be shocked at what you can do in even a months time. Also, walking is your best friend. Just making an effort to do a little bit more each time, even an extra minute if you can. I went from struggling to walk a mile about 7 month ago to now running about 10-12 a week, plus walking at least that many more plus a few.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Well, today I tried to work out for the first time in probably months based on my doctor telling me that being obese isn't an option. She recommended that I do 15 minutes 4-6 days a week to start off. I did fifteen minutes today and seriously thought I was going to die. Maybe it's because I'm like 80+ lbs overweight. I did 3 minutes of cardio, 3 minutes of abs, 3 minutes of butt, 3 minutes of cardio, 3 minutes of arms using Blogilates. With about 1-2 minute breaks in between all of those.

I spent about next the ten minutes coughing and then the next five chugging water. I felt like death.
    Because I moved around for fifteen minutes.

WELL, needless to say, I'm already dreading exercising ever again based on that. So, what should I do? Start at less than 15 minutes? Turn part of that into something easier? Try something completely different? I literally did all beginner videos.

Haaaaalp.

Walk walk walk walk walk walk walk and when you're done with that...go for a walk!!! Honestly, just start off slow and build up your endurance. If you start with something that is too intense for your level of fitness you will most likely quit within a few weeks. Take your time and WALK!

Also - a great indoor walking program is Leslie Sansone walk at home (some of her workouts are available for free on youtube). You might want to give them a try too!
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Firstly, Doing something is better that doing nothing.
    Second, Baby steps, whatever you do, every 2-3 workouts try and add little bit more...
    Third, Always push yourself to do a little bit more... but when you get to the point that you're in pain or too tired to focus on good form, then you risk injuring yourself...
    Fourth, Do what you can to make it fun (or at least not torture) ... it's easier to stick with it if you don't hate it.

For me what was hardest was actually getting out of the house. It seemed that getting changed to the gym and back and getting showered and changed again was more effort than the actual work out.

When I started my first mission was just to get to the gym! And I said to myself if after 10 minutes I hate it, then I can leave, but I've got to put in that first 10 minutes. (4 minutes on the elliptical nearly killed me) I started out focusing on things I liked most.
    My theory was that if I hated it, it would be way harder to stick with it. Bit by bit I added more activities and more time to each activity.

After a while it even became a treat!

But it has all been baby steps the more I did the more I was capable of doing.

Good Luck!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i don't know why everyone is telling her to step back or slow down. she did 15 minutes, said she was going to die, but she didn't die.

The reason to say slow down is that the vast majority who feel like they're going to die when they first start out quit before getting to the point that it is easier.

do you really think OP was on deaths door? or do you think maybe she was exaggerating a little bit?
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    i don't know why everyone is telling her to step back or slow down. she did 15 minutes, said she was going to die, but she didn't die.

agreed. OP you're going to look back on that day in a week, a month, a year and realize what a huge ways you've come! Give yourself some credit and power through :flowerforyou:
  • xero2099
    xero2099 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Just have to work your way up when I first started i first tried elliptical could only manage 10 minutes on that but kept working my way up and now can do 45-60minutes with no problems keep trying to add a few more minutes and soon you wont even notice that you can do longer sessions
  • hollyyblack
    hollyyblack Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am so grateful for this thread, because I'm in a similar place right now--90+ pounds to lose, and starting from almost completely sedentary. It's really scary and discouraging to walk around the block and feel like you just climbed a mountain. I'm really glad to hear that there is hope, that it isn't going to take years before I'm able to do more. Thanks.
  • Kirk_R
    Kirk_R Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    do you really think OP was on deaths door? or do you think maybe she was exaggerating a little bit?

It's not that I believe it but the simple fact is that people stop exercising because they think it is too difficult. There's a definite tendency to overdo it to start. It may work for some to just tell them to keep pushing but for many (most?) that's not the best approach (in fact there's a whole group of people who get paid to motivate and even "coddle" folks to get them into shape). A high level of effort is not really necessary anyway.
  • Alaundro
    Alaundro Posts: 1
    Options
    Trying walking 15 minutes a day for at least 2 weeks, then try walking 15 mins a day followed by 1 minute of abs . Repeat this for one month and then slowly increase the amount of time you walk by 2 minutes a week until you reach 30 minutes of walking.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I was in the same place you are a few months ago. The people who have suggested walking are right. It burns a lot of calories but is very low impact and you can go at your own pace. I also recommend you start with stretching/yoga. By increasing your flexibility and strength you can start working up to full workouts. If you would like recommendations for stretching dvds, message me.
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I second Fitnessblender; so many options!

Also bellydance warmup moves.

Do something as close to every day that you can. Your stamina will increase, I promise. You definitely don't want to push yourself to the point of illness or injury.
  • JourneyingJessica
    JourneyingJessica Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I agree with walking. You'll be surprised just how quickly you'll build up. Go for distance rather than speed, essentially under 5+ mph its all about distance. Walking 2miles at 2mph for 60 mins burns same calories as 2miles at 4mph for 30 mins. Plug it in you'll see.

I started at 278, and tbh moving at that weight was a chore and hard. IMHO anything is an awesome start. Really focus on your food. It'll help with the weight loss making it easier to move more.
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Good for you, it does get easier. You will find that you will be able to go longer without tiring. When I started 15 min of anything seemed like to much but you will get better the important part is that you started and to keep going. It is based on your own progression and no one else's. There has been some other good advice on here. Keep it up
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    Remember this day, make it your goal to get through this routine with ease. Slow down if you need to. I bet you reach your goal in a month if you keep it up:-)
  • garethbridges
    garethbridges Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Do something which is sustainable and you can build into your routine. As other people here have said, you don't need to bust a gut to do something which is effective. Ensure you can recover from your sessions in time to start the next one, so you can avoid injury.

Start with something like 20 minutes of walking per day. Over time, increase the duration, increase the distance, take in some hills, try a little run between points along the way, etc.

Most importantly, make sure it's something you enjoy doing and you can look forward to.

Good luck!
  • cashmerelinedleather
    Options
    When I first started working out I was the same way! What I did was I split the time up. 5 minutes 3 times a day. Let your body get used to working out for a week or two then do 2 workouts one 10 and one 5. Then do 15. And just go up from there! Do whatever your body can handle!
  • goldtintedspecs
    Options
    I'm not surprised that you found it crazy difficult. I think your doctor recommended to start off light b/c heavy exercising at these weight levels(I'm right behind you with ~60lbs overweight) could hurt you if you do it too much or do it wrong, regardless of age. And toning exercises(like butt workouts...) are hard on your joints if your body isn't used to exercise. Do NOT start off with toning - try walking for 15 minutes four times the first week to get your heart used to the activity. If you haven't been walking at all, this is hard enough without toning. Then try going for 20 minutes every time - only when you hit the 30 minutes mark should you try toning again. Maybe try Pilates? I know it's super-gentle on my joints and it's really good.
  • lindagroves50
    Options
    don't give up... i'm having similar problems, because i am also a severe asthmatic...

be happy with small steps and add a bit more each day. my first day, i could only exercise t one song.. then finally to 2, and then 3.. that is where i am at right now...i have only been trying this for a short time... remember hat anything that gets your blood pumping is good....walk a bit more... keep music on and dance while you do dishes, and house cleaning... i even try to keep walking in my showers....
    it will get easier with time... it has to or we are both in trouble...good luck...
  • Strongandhealthy1234
    Options
    I agree with the above.
    I run marathons right now = 4 hours of rigorous exercise, I love it.
    1.5 years ago I began by slowly walking for 20 min = I loved it. That's all I could do. I was heavy and anything more than that caused a huge headache. I built up, walked longer , began jogging etc.
    whatever exercise you pick you must enjoy it. Start slow. Take a day off in between to recover.