Senior Golden Sneakers - December 2010

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,992 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Pam, My impressions of London have always been about fog, dampness, and cool weather, but today when I watched the old George C. Scott movie of “A Christmas Carol”, I realized how cold and snowy it is in the winter…..and at that time in history even colder than now with heating with coal and not having modern insulation and double pane windows…….I know how hard it is for active people like us to take it easy after an injury. I hurt my knee last summer and someone said they’d have to seat belt me to my chair to keep me from exercising too much
    smiley-laughing001.gif

Jeffrey, your weight is so low now that it’s fallen off the end of your ticker

Marie, it looks like you’ve finally gotten the hang of posting pictures…..they are great ….congratulations….I’ll try soon to add some recipes to our recipe thread

Gigi, all your snow will make you even more appreciative of the great weather in Cancun

Gayla, poor Neil not being able to drink with his friends….I’m glad you and Dave got some time to yourselves…..you give so much of your time and energy to caring for Neil…..it’s time for you to care for yourselves…..I hate it when I mess up scheduled appointments…..i guess Neil is the big winner with getting to go out to eat twice.

Sandy, you are tough and I know these aches and pains won’t get you down

Connie, how nice that someone brought you dinner, and such a tasty one……I feel for you and your frustration caring for your husband…..men are not always the best patients and we women often automatically do too much for them without even realizing it…….you are doing a great job……keep encouraging him to do things for himself……your photos are beautiful

Buzz, we’ve never been to Israel, although we’ve talked about it from time to time……you make it sound great…glad your orchids survived

Our weather has changed from cold and clear to warm (over 50 degrees) and windy and threatening to rain…..tomorrow is the day I usually go for a two hour walk in the afternoon with my friend so I’m hoping the rain won’t interfere

Now I’m going to go through my recipes and put some on the recipe thread
    smiley-happy110.gif
  • Oldbat61
    Oldbat61 Posts: 141
    Options
    I haven't asked but are any of you on Facebook? You can find me - just search for Connie Schachel, and send me a friend request! Be sure to include a message that you are a MFP Golden Sneaker!

Connie (and others) I am on Facebook and would be delighted to welcome more friends from amongst the MFP community. Anyone wanting to search for me needs either: Pam Perceval-Maxwell or pam102@talktalk.net.

Connie, I will search for you now and send you a request. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Pam :heart:
  • Oldbat61
    Options
    I haven't asked but are any of you on Facebook? You can find me - just search for Connie Schachel, and send me a friend request! Be sure to include a message that you are a MFP Golden Sneaker!

Connie - I have tried searching for you on Facebook but I can't find you!!! Perhaps you can search for me instead. :smile: :smile: :smile:

Pam
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Pam I oculdn't fine Connie either but I did send you a. request Thanks

Thnks Barbiecat for getting our recipes off to a good start I think wse will like it.Better go aand get breakfast
  • Oldbat61
    Options
    Hi all. Just had a great couple of hours out with my friend Wendy. We walked to the High Street, about 15 mins, to see the Christmas lights and join in the fun. It is the first time since my fall that I have managed to walk any distance without feeling so sore. We had a great time walking around the various stalls - hot chestnuts, mulled wine, fish & chips, burgers, hot dogs etc (but I resisted them all!!!!) plus the temporary ice rink and various gift stalls. We did spend some time in the pub, sampling the Merlot - YUMMY - and then stopped at the local brewery's stall and bought some beer for Wendy's husband, Basil, before making our way home. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Pam :heart: :heart:
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Pam, do you like roasted chestnuts? My mother used to roast chestnuts and cut them up to put in stuffing for turkey. Last month we went to an event that had a man dressed in something that looked like a costume from "A Christmas Carol" roasting chestnuts and serving them hot in a paper cup. :bigsmile:
  • gigi46
    gigi46 Posts: 196
    Options
    Hello everyone,

No change here on the weather, today when I was on my way to work about 7:45 I looked at the temperature gauge and register 7 degrees, that is not RIGHT:angry::angry: :angry: when I got to work and walked on the parking area, was hard to get to the door because of the Ice and snow, lovely:noway: :noway: :noway: I'm counting the days to get out of here.

Barbie - 50 degrees that is like SUMMER compare to us, you're have great weather.:glasses: :glasses: :glasses:

Marie - we're leaving on Dec 25 thru Jan 1, if I get sometime before I go, I'll get going on the recipes. Such a GREAT idea:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Pam - Fish & Chips that brought back memories when we were in London, lovely place and people, we had our favorite Pub,
    everyone was very friendly:happy: :happy: :happy:

Connie - hope everyday is better then the day before, good to hear you're giving you husband a change to do things on his own:wink::wink: :wink:

Sandy - Hope you're doing better everyday and the weather is no so hard on you:love::love: :love:

Gayla - How are you doing, making cookies yet, I need to make Mexican Wedding cake for my Mom she loves:smooched: :smooched: :smooched: them by the way she will be 93 years Young on Dec. 22. She leaves with her sister in Miami.:wink::wink: :wink:

Hope everyone has a great evening and have fun.:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Gigi
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Gigi. we go on the 21st and come back on the 23rd. Just 2 days their.

Where is buzz ? Haven't seen her all day..

Marie
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: we aren't going anywhere until spring......all your trips sound lovely.

:flowerforyou: we had some rain today but it stopped long enough for me to take the dogs to the dog park for half an hour of playing.

:flowerforyou: tomorrow I am teaching a new dance at my line dance class......the song is called "Drinkin' Beer".....it's a cute song and a dance that's not too difficult.....I am excited and nervous.
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgBtaxcN1QA
    this is the link to the youtube video of the dance if you want to see what it looks like and hear the song
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    I like that, I bet you have lots of fun. I never did do a line dance, Jerry and i just dance to country western music. Does Jake do any line dance? My e sister inlaw and her husband in in to all of that. you will do fine you are a pro.
  • jeffrey71
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

Work has me swamped right now. It is going very well. I am meeting with my new surgeon tomorrow and should get the low down on my next surgery. I will post the update! LOL

Sandy I hope your back is better! Did you see our weather for this weekend? Accuweather is predicting 15-16 inches of snow for us! What a mess that will be.

Not too much else to report. Joe the cat is helping me with my work that I brought home. Mostly he helped me with my chicken dinner. What a helpful cat he is! Spoiled rotten!

Everyone have a great day!

God Bless Us All!

Jeffrey
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Jeffrey , that is a lot of snow. Can you handle it??????????????????? Sandy and Gigi look like you all are in for it. What a rough winteryou are all having. + all tthat rain you got in the summer.When it rains it pours

Gayla what did the doctor have to say about Neil yesterday

Well I pulled another booo boo yesterday. Was getting the gift cards ready to send off to my family in St. louis yesterday and after Jerry left to mail them i realizes that I sent Bruce my granddaughter gift card so now I got to Get him to mail it back to me so I can send his to him. Its heck getting old

Barbiecat good luck on your class this morning., You will do great!

I am going to clean my freezer out today there is some stuff in their that been there entirly too long. And I need the space for my extra soup I am making.I I got my soup pot out and will be making a vegeable soup today.

It is sorta cool this morning but should get up to 60 this afternoon.
    Have a lovely day everyone.

:heart: Marie
  • lyn54
    lyn54 Posts: 415
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hey Ladies and Gents!
    Just dropping in to say "Hi"...I am reading and keeping up with mosts of the posts. Am very busy getting ready for company.:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
    We are expecting some snow so that may change our plans. Not as much as some of you, guys.

Good luck with the dancing today, Barbie.

Marie that happens to all of us at some time. I see people younger than us doing those things too. It'll be alright...I just laugh at my self, make a drama story out of it and everyone has a good laugh so then you have two gifts. The gift of laughter and whatever you are giving!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

"talk" with ya' later!!

Have a good day:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Morning everyone.

First, it was so much fun to get the "friend" requests on Facebook. It was even more fun looking at everyone's photos.

Gayla - it was good to put a face on you, and on Neil and the rest of your family.

Sandy - what on earth is WECA, and why were you in Las Vegas? By the way, you look wonderful in all your photos - I can only hope to be as slender as you are.

I know we can post photos to our profiles here on MFP but is is awkward to look up profiles and look at pictures that way.

It is supposed to get into the high 40s today and the low 50s tomorrow so we're going to give the portable oxygen bottle a try and get out of here for an hour or so. I need to buy oatmeal and other staples. I haven't left the house except to walk down to the mailbox since Saturday. And I'm a gad-about, always chasing here and there.

My husband continues to improve. On the scale this morning he lost another two pounds. That puts him 27 pounds down since October 15. My scale finally moved a bit, too. Hooray!
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,126 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday!! I won $100 at bingo last night!!!! Today is my meeting day which I have missed for the last two weeks. :ohwell:

Connie, WCDE is West Coast Dance Explosion. My granddaughter was in competition dance and we went to Las Vegas for their dance Nationals. She has been dancing since is two and was with her current company for 8 years in competition dance. Unfortunately we pulled her from dance the first of the month, once we got the bill for December. Her father (my son) her mother (his ex) and myself were sharing dance expenses but it became too much for us to handle. December's bill alone was near $1500 and I told them I thought it was time to take Bryanna out of that company even though I knew it would break her heart. Her mother and father were struggling trying to keep up with dance and neither wanted to be the one who said it was time. I made the decision for them and I think they are grateful. My granddaughter of course was devastated but she is getting better each day. She understands our decision (she is 15) but it still hurt. She can still dance, just not in competition, it is just too expensive. It has been a very hard few weeks, with lots of drama and gossip from the fallout. :explode:

I am glad you are able to get out of the house even if it is just to go to the store. I hope each day gets better for both of you. :heart:

Lynn, I hope you are feeling better and your company is a welcome addition. :flowerforyou:

Marie, you still amaze me, you are such an active "young" woman. And age has nothing to do with sending the wrong gift card, the problem is we are thinking of all the things we have to do and mistakes are made. :laugh: You just keep being you, we love you just the way you are. :heart:

Barbie, I bet you are one of the best teachers line dance will have. You are so organized and love dance so much you dance in your hallways. :laugh:

Jeffrey, hope all goes well with the surgeon today. Winter is here and snow on the way, I am just glad I have my Christmas shopping done. (no I didn't get your gift) :laugh:

Gayla, I hope the doctor has good news about Neil, we need a miracle for him. :bigsmile: :heart: :bigsmile:

It is just wonderful reading everyone's post but hard to keep up with each one personally. Thank you for all the good wishes on my back, I am taking it one day at a time.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    If I am not mistaken . I think Barbiecat said she has been known to dance in line at the grocery store what fun!.

Good morning Sandy I have missed you but knew you have been going thru a hard time. It will all work out. Just hang in there. 1500 a month is so far fetched for a child dance lesson. I don't blame you. Thats not counting all the trips and costums. You made a wise decision.

That Jeffrey is something else. bless his hearth he been thru some times good and bad. I am glad you are the one getting all of that snow and not us.

gayla we sre waiting for a report from Neil Throat Docter.

Thanks Connie for the update on your husband. , He is going to be just fine.
    I like all of you on facebook I can read all about my family .my lighten up friends and a lot of mfp friends. Seems like one big happy family. And thnks for the pumpkin pancake recipe. I may make it Sunday morning.

Lynn
    so good to hear from you. you sound like you are one busy girl, getting ready for hoseguest and Christmas coming up. Don't over do it . Take care

Irene glory be I did not know you were on facebook Glad to see you there.

Got my soup going. I had my husband bring in my bread machine from my shed outside so I can make some whole wheat bread Hope I don't make a pig out of myself.LOL

Barbs how the three little piglets doing. and how is your new job going?

Got to get up and get some work done. See you later
  • Oldbat61
    Options
    Hi everyone. My, you all sound busy. It has been good to find some of you on Facebook as that means we can get to see one another's photos much more easily than if we tried to post them here.

Connie I hope the trip out with the portable oxygen went well. You must be feeling stir crazy by now and I am sure it will have done your husband good to see somewhere other than the same four walls.

Yes, I love roasted chestnuts. When I was a child we used to do it ourselves on a small metal shovel over an open fire - delicious. We are very lucky in our small village that we have two butchers and a fishmonger, selling fresh fish. He gets really beautiful seafood - sometimes he even gets small lobster and I intend treating myself to one sometime. He also does great fish and chips two days a week; haven't had any in a while as I am watching the calories and grilled yellowfin tuna with fresh vegetables is much healthier!!!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I couldn't agree more about the cost of the dance, Sandy. I know she will be disappointed now but I am sure that in time she will understand the decision. I really hope that your back will soon feel much better.

Jeffrey, the very best of luck with the doc and with the snow; I am very happy to see the back of it here and hope it stays away for a long time. I am going to visit a friend in Oxford (about 2.5 hours drive) for two nights next week. Then back home until 22nd Dec when I start my journey to my eldest daughter's for Christmas - about 6 hours drive. On my way home from her I shall stop in London for a few nights with my son and then get back here for New Year's. After that I am going back to Oxford to provide work cover for my friend for five days and should be back home by 14th Jan. At present I have no plans to be away after that, so it can snow then!!!!!

Somebody said that their memories of London was that it was damp. Well, yes, England can sometimes be damp and grey but last New Year's I was back in the north with Stephanie and the family. New Year's Day was wonderfully sunny. It was very cold but we went for a fantastic walk - granny, children and grandchildren - along the sea front. The sea looked fantastic, wonderfully calm. We were all well wrapped up and ended our walk at a pub where the grown ups could have a 'grown up' drink and everyone else had mugs of hot chocolate. I am really hoping to do something similar this Christmas while I am there. Here in Sussex there is a hill near my home which is topped with an ancient iron age fort, so if it is good weather on New Year's this year, I hope to persuade my youngest daughter and her family to go for a walk up there, to walk off the effects of the New Year's Eve Party!!

My 16 year old grand-daughter, Emma, who lives nearby went for an interview at the college near me for her final two years at school. She is currently a straight A student and wants to be a doctor eventually. The college only had 40 places for youngsters outside the village, so we were not sure if Emma would be offered a place (we know that they are always over subscribed for these external places). Imagine our delight when she was offered an unconditional place there and then, mind you she has worked very hard for it. We were also very interested to hear that a boy from last year applied, and got, a place at Harvard! That has really fired Emma up - the thought that perhaps she could try for a place overseas when the time comes. No sense in getting too excited, she has another 6 months of this academic year to get through and then two more years at college but it is nice to daydream. As someone much wiser than me said, if you don't have a target what are you planning to hit!

All the best to everyone; keep warm, keep safe and love one another.

Pam :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • viliberty1957
    Options
    I do enjoy facebook, what fun to find some of you there. And maybe I can remember more about each of you. To any others interested, just search Irene Liberty. Now that we will be seeing each others' pictures there I will more carefully label them.

Medically: chest X-ray was clear. Had blood work done today. Go to Cancer Care Monday for the report for the CT scan I had a couple of weeks ago. I'm optimistic it will be good. I've gained a couple of pounds....not good, but fixable I hope. There! Enough of that!

Our streets are mostly clear now. They were pretty bad for awhile. We've already had 2.5 inches MORE snow than we had all last winter.

Take care. God Bless.
  • lyn54
    lyn54 Posts: 415
    Options
    Hellooo...:bigsmile:
    another quick stop in..
    Irene- I hope it's good news!

Sandy hopefully you are doing better..too:flowerforyou:

All the snow some of you have is amazing. We have had temps in the teens this week...that is cold to me. I really don't like single digits.

Marie -one quick gift swap story that went wrong. My mother has 2 granddaughters-in-law, named Tiffani/Tiffany. She bought a kitchen appliance for Tiffani(my daughter-in-law) and gave it to the other Tiffany (my sisters daughter-in-law)...When Tiffany opened the gift, everyone knew what had happened but her so then she had to give it my Tiffani...whew...My sister went the next day and bought her daughter-in-law that appliance because the disappointment on her face was too much for all of us to bear....:blushing: :blushing: now that is not a good situation...so the next Christmases we all laughed about it and we double check with Mom to make sure we have the right gifts....lol:bigsmile: :laugh:

so what you did wasn't bad at all!!!

Everyone have a good evening.....'tis the Season...
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Thanks lynn that made me feel better
    By the way i posted a date nut cake that my mother used to make every Christmas i never did get the recipe . The angels lead me to the site and I found it . I was trruly Blessed. Thank you Lord. So I wanted to share with you. Its a wonderful cake I don'l like fruit cakes But this is so good and even Santa Clause like it. I remember it had very little flour and folded in the egg whites With just nuts and dates not all that other junk. A wonderful Christmas cake.. Its not diet but good.