Food addiction-Sugar

Options

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Sugar is indeed addictive, and may be more addictive than cocaine. That's what new studies are beginning to show. It isn't your fault, it's tied directly into the reward centers in your brain. I'm not sure if others posted about that, because the comments were beginning to look trollish and I just wanted to reach out. I believe you. I have a problem with sugar too, to the extent that I really can't have it around at all. I recommend following something like the Whole 30 cleanse or something similar, with guidelines and grocery lists, so that you have a mission, something to stick to. It takes 2 weeks to really be free of the taste and urge to eat it. I promise you that if you do quit cold turkey and follow something like W30 that you can be free.

I've gone on and off the sugar wagon for years. I have dabbled with stevia (I avoid chemical fake sugars, they're perhaps linked with cancer and repro problems) and it worked well for me. I even made my own chocolate and ice cream with it. You can google lots of recipes with stevia. That certainly helped.

These days, I limit how much fruit is in the house, as that's too sweet for me; the only chocolate I buy is super dark, 85-88% because I just don't have the urge to eat a ton of it. I don't buy cookies or cakes, and I avoid eating a lot of grain because I find that it creates a downward spiral for me into sugar cravings. Stick with lots of protein, veggies, and LOTS of good fats like coconut oil which helps a TON. Good luck, it's a doozy of an addiction, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
    <3

Did you review those studies yourself, or are you just repeating what a news network told you?
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    ad·dic·tion noun \ə-ˈdik-shən, a-\
    : a strong and harmful need to regularly have something (such as a drug) or do something (such as gamble)

: an unusually great interest in something or a need to do or have something

Full Definition of ADDICTION

: the quality or state of being addicted <addiction to reading>
    : compulsive need for and use of a habit-forming substance (as heroin, nicotine, or alcohol) characterized by tolerance and by well-defined physiological symptoms upon withdrawal; broadly : persistent compulsive use of a substance known by the user to be harmful
    See addiction defined for English-language learners »
    See addiction defined for kids »
    Examples of ADDICTION

He has a drug addiction.
    His life has been ruined by heroin addiction.
    He devotes his summers to his surfing addiction.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Here is a guy who completely agrees with the sugar in moderation mantra (as do I, although I'm careful about WHEN). This is from 2012, sorry if it's been posted already. I included the first paragraph although I know we have already argued it to death. It's the second paragraph that I liked.

Is sugar toxic? This was the question posed by CBS News program 60 Minutes last Sunday. The answer was a resounding “yes.” And not only is sugar toxic, it is also addictive according to the experts interviewed for the segment. I have been interested in food addiction for some time now and it seems that the popular media is finally taking notice of this concept. The program featured Eric Stice, Ph.D., a neuroscientist at the Oregon Research Institute who has used fMRI scans to conclude that sugar activates the same brain regions that are activated when a person consumes drugs like cocaine. In addition, he found that heavy users of sugar develop tolerance (needing more and more to feel the same effect), which is a symptom of substance dependence. Nora Volkow, M.D., a psychiatrist at the National Institute on Drug Abuse, has done similar research using brain imaging techniques to show similarities between the brains of people who are obese and people who abuse drugs and alcohol. Nicole Avena, Ph.D., a psychologist at Princeton University, was even able to induce sugar dependency in rats. In my opinion, the research is convincing that sugar and other foods have an addictive quality. The Lay’s potato chip advertising execs were really onto something when they developed their “betcha can’t eat just one” slogan in the 1950s. Talk about ahead of their time!

The question that has plagued me more recently is: what do we do with this information? As a clinician, how do I best help patients struggling with overeating? The most commonly used model to treat drug and alcohol addictions is abstinence (complete avoidance of the drug or alcohol). Should we advocate an abstinence model for the treatment of sugar addiction? This would involve recommending that people completely avoid food and beverages with sugar—a daunting task when you consider the breadth of food products containing sugar. To me, this type of recommendation rings too similar to restrictive dieting: a “weight loss” technique that most research has found only leads to binge eating and weight cycling. When food is off-limits, it tends to take on power and value. The things that you cannot have are only that much more enticing. Think about a 10-year-old boy who is not allowed to see an “R” rated movie. His imagination may run wild with thoughts about what intriguing content that movie may contain. He would be disappointed to find out that most “R” rated movies are actually quite boring, especially for a 10-year-old child. The same happens with food; a doughnut becomes alluring, its shining glaze beckoning you from across the room. You imagine how incredible it would taste, find yourself ruminating about the doughnut far after you have left its physical presence. It may become a symbol of rebellion: “I’m going to be a bad girl tonight and eat the doughnut, screw them all!” and then turn into a symbol for self-hatred, disgust, and shame when you succumb to eating the doughnut. In reality, it’s just a doughnut: simply flour, sugar, and yeast fried in oil. Demystified and eaten mindfully, the doughnut loses its power and is often just as disappointing as the “R” rated movie. However, to the person for whom the doughnut is off-limits, it becomes so much more. This is my concern with advocating an abstinence model to treat sugar addiction. I think that caution should be used when restricting foods from your diet (especially foods that you tend to enjoy) and you should be conscious of the effect that this restriction has on your mind and body. Therapy and mindful eating are tools that can help you in this process. The goal is to create a healthy and peaceful relationship with food that will leave you feeling satisfied. Going beyond the physical nature of your relationship with food into the psychological will enhance the relationship and help restore a sense of balance in your eating.
    Right. Sugar is toxic. Which is why human beings have been eating it since human beings existed.

Why doesn't anybody know how to think critically anymore?
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    If someone said, "When I go to a restaurant, I just eat sugar right from the sugar bowl by the spoonful or packet full rather than eating an actual meal" I might start to suspect a real sugar addiction. THAT's how addicts behave.

They don't just over-indulge because it's convenient.

Snack cakes, cookies, whatever... they sit in your pantry. They're easy to grab. They come in a box with lots of portions.
    Ice cream is similar... it sits in your freezer in a big container.

If you have issues with self-control, then yeah, implement strategies that will help you with your willpower... substitute fruit instead of the snack cake or cookies or whatever. But put the blame where it belongs.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Their brains aren't getting enough glucose because sugar.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    If someone said, "When I go to a restaurant, I just eat sugar right from the sugar bowl by the spoonful or packet full rather than eating an actual meal" I might start to suspect a real sugar addiction. THAT's how addicts behave.

Snack cakes, cookies, whatever... they sit in your pantry. They're easy to grab. They come in a box with lots of portions.

If you have issues with self-control, then yeah, implement strategies that will help you with your willpower... substitute fruit instead of the snack cake or cookies or whatever. But put the blame where it belongs.

I completely agree. When I imagine someone with a sugar addiction, I think of a person behaving like they have Willi-Prader syndrome and just tearing through the house or restaurant eating anything and everything with sugar in it, including fruit, milk, honey, syrup, or even sweet potatoes.

And the whole "studies with rats show that oreos are more addictive that drugs," well, the rats probably ate the oreos because they taste better than drugs. Just sayin'.
  • DamePiglet
    Options

I completely agree. When I imagine someone with a sugar addiction, I think of a person behaving like they have Willi-Prader syndrome and just tearing through the house or restaurant eating anything and everything with sugar in it, including fruit, milk, honey, syrup, or even sweet potatoes.

And the whole "studies with rats show that oreos are more addictive that drugs," well, the rats probably ate the oreos because they taste better than drugs. Just sayin'.

:laugh:
    But weed-laced brownies win EVERY TIME!
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Right. Sugar is toxic. Which is why human beings have been eating it since human beings existed.

[/quote]

Of course sugar is toxic - why do you think we evolved to produce insulin.

Sugar is also essential to our brains and other organs, but it toxic in large doses.

Why can't it be both toxic in large doses and at the same time be essential for us?

Your thought process on this seem quite narrow!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2246629/
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

Sugar is also essential to our brains and other organs, but it toxic in large doses.

Why can't it be both toxic in large doses and at the same time be essential for us?

So it's toxic like water is toxic. That's helpful.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Sugar is indeed addictive, and may be more addictive than cocaine. That's what new studies are beginning to show. It isn't your fault, it's tied directly into the reward centers in your brain. I'm not sure if others posted about that, because the comments were beginning to look trollish and I just wanted to reach out. I believe you. I have a problem with sugar too, to the extent that I really can't have it around at all. I recommend following something like the Whole 30 cleanse or something similar, with guidelines and grocery lists, so that you have a mission, something to stick to. It takes 2 weeks to really be free of the taste and urge to eat it. I promise you that if you do quit cold turkey and follow something like W30 that you can be free.

I've gone on and off the sugar wagon for years. I have dabbled with stevia (I avoid chemical fake sugars, they're perhaps linked with cancer and repro problems) and it worked well for me. I even made my own chocolate and ice cream with it. You can google lots of recipes with stevia. That certainly helped.

These days, I limit how much fruit is in the house, as that's too sweet for me; the only chocolate I buy is super dark, 85-88% because I just don't have the urge to eat a ton of it. I don't buy cookies or cakes, and I avoid eating a lot of grain because I find that it creates a downward spiral for me into sugar cravings. Stick with lots of protein, veggies, and LOTS of good fats like coconut oil which helps a TON. Good luck, it's a doozy of an addiction, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
    <3

I love the fact that "it isn't your fault". Yep, more people needing to place the blame anywhere but on themselves. People need to learn more about how their body reacts to sugar instead of calling it an addiction. Do I eat low carb because I'm addicted to sugar? No, it's because I can't stop myself after one serving of Lucky Charms or one cookie. Take some responsibility. Eating more protein and fats will keep you feeling full longer than eating a piece of cake. It doesn't curb your "addiction" like you seem to think.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

[/quote]
    double post
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

do you ever make sense, or do you just constantly semi troll?
    [/quote]
  • superdeformedchibi
    Options
    Hi Sara,

I've had a hard time with eating mindlessly, too. Usually, when I'm watching tv. I think I just get bored because the tv isn't stimulating enough and feel compelled to start snacking (as in, eat an entire pint of Ben and Jerry's).

So, I've taken some steps to break myself of the habit. Here's what has been working for me: I figure out what I'm going to eat for the day and log it FIRST. It gets me to psychologically commit to eating that food for the day. I make adjustments to the log if, say, the strawberries went bad and I had to pick something else (but I try to make it a comparable substitution). Then: I DO NOT eat in front of the tv anymore. I take my portioned out meal or snack and sit in the dining room. My wife is junk food junkie as well and when she's not also trying to eat healthy it can be super hard. So I buy healthy foods that only I will eat and I allow her to eat what she wants. No hard feelings involved. When I get a sugar craving, I decide what a reasonable snack will fit into my meal plan for the day and I stick to that. I like to use a square of dark chocolate at the end of the day because it satisfies my chocolate craving and also signals to me that I am finished eating for the day. Also, when I watch tv, when I feel the urge to snack to it out of boredom I either turn the tv off and go do something else or I take out my crochet project to keep my hands busy. The bonus is that I've made some good money on Etsy because of how much more I've been crocheting.

Hope any part of that is useful to you. Good luck!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Wait, what? What has insulin have to do with the toxicity of sugar? Insulin is a transport hormone that picks up the sugar from the intestine and moves it to whichever cell needs the energy. It does the same thing for protein, so is protein toxic also? Insulin also tells us when to stop eating (it triggers satiety, along with leptin,) so is being full also toxic? There's also about 100 other bodily regulatory functions insulin is responsible for, but yeah, you're right, obviously we only evolved it to deal with the pesky "toxic" sugar.

Insulin isn't something we "evolved" to deal with "toxic" sugar. Insulin is a vital hormone required for life. Which is why every species of animal on the planet has insulin.

As for the rest of your argument, everything is toxic in too large a dose. It's a logical fallacy that fear mongerers like Lustig and Taubes love to use.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    When I quit sugar cold turkey, I had a detox response. Headaches, Tremors, it was horrible. I find that if I include more fruits and vegetables in my diet I have less cravings for sugar. I never realized that I was a sugar addict until I quit.

you realize fruit has sugar in it, right? And carbs - vegetables - break down in your body as sugar….

Which is better to put into your body, fruit and vegetables or candy bars and white sugar?

your body does not distinguish between types of sugar. Some fruits have more sugar than a candy bar, so if I eat a candy bar that has less sugar then a piece of fruit, does that make the candy bar "better"

how can you be addicted to table sugar and not fruit sugar?

Fruit and vegetables are always better because of the micronutrient content. I never said I have conquered my addiction just helped curb the white sugar cravings through better nutrition.

so you curb your sugar craving by eating more sugar?

hey, I am a crack head and I curb my cravings by snorting cocaine….

Heroin addicts curb their addiction by using methadone.

Its a healthier option and a great source of vitamins and fiber.
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    When I quit sugar cold turkey, I had a detox response. Headaches, Tremors, it was horrible. I find that if I include more fruits and vegetables in my diet I have less cravings for sugar. I never realized that I was a sugar addict until I quit.

you realize fruit has sugar in it, right? And carbs - vegetables - break down in your body as sugar….

Which is better to put into your body, fruit and vegetables or candy bars and white sugar?

your body does not distinguish between types of sugar. Some fruits have more sugar than a candy bar, so if I eat a candy bar that has less sugar then a piece of fruit, does that make the candy bar "better"

Fruit and vegetables are always better because of the micronutrient content. I never said I have conquered my addiction just helped curb the white sugar cravings through better nutrition.

methadone is a great source of vitamins and fiber? Huh. I've been eating veges for that.
  • kristiekay87
    kristiekay87 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am a huge sweet addict but for Lent i have given it up and its the hardest thing ever. I even walked away from chocolate cake (first time ever)

I just downloaded the app last night after i jumped on the scale and realizd how much I weighed. I never realized I weighed that much and no I'm sad. I'm hoping this app will help me stay on track and lose the 30lbs I need too.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

methadone is a great source of vitamins and fiber? Huh. I've been eating veges for that.

Do you even party, bro?
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Wait, what? What has insulin have to do with the toxicity of sugar? Insulin is a transport hormone that picks up the sugar from the intestine and moves it to whichever cell needs the energy. It does the same thing for protein, so is protein toxic also? Insulin also tells us when to stop eating (it triggers satiety, along with leptin,) so is being full also toxic? There's also about 100 other bodily regulatory functions insulin is responsible for, but yeah, you're right, obviously we only evolved it to deal with the pesky "toxic" sugar.

Insulin isn't something we "evolved" to deal with "toxic" sugar. Insulin is a vital hormone required for life. Which is why every species of animal on the planet has insulin.

As for the rest of your argument, everything is toxic in too large a dose. It's a logical fallacy that fear mongerers like Lustig and Taubes love to use.

And the job of the pancreas is to secrete the hormone insulin into our blood stream when it detects high levels of glucose and to either burn it, store it or convert it into fat (to be used later).

I think Insulin has quite a connection with sugar and seems to want to move it out of our blood stream as soon as it can - maybe it knows something you don't about sugar?

That being said too much insulin in our system can be toxic (just saying!!)
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    How much sugar is in weaksauce?