Senior Golden Sneakers - December 2010

Options

Replies

• maryellengallagher
    Options
    I would also like to join this group. I am getting ready to celebrate my 61st birthday. I joined MFP about a year ago, but didn't get serious about losing weight until the last few months. Since then I have lost 26 lbs., but have many more to go. My goal for the month is to get to 190.
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Hi to everyone! Sorry I didn't pop in yesterday, not sure what happened. The news from Neil's ENT doc. was that there is no change. The vocal chords are still completely paralyzed. We told him we would go anywhere and he said that he could fix them but wanted to hear from the neurologist first and wait long enough for the nerve to recover on it's own. So we are back to playing the waiting game. I seriously do not want him to have more surgery if it will self-repair. We see the neuro-surgeon tomorrow and next week see the orthopedic surgery (I think he needs another surgery on his foot as one of his toes has developed quite a severe contracture) and the next day we see the neurologist. Then except for me pre-Christmas test we are finished with Dr.'s until the new year!! Yeah!! About my test, I got the instructions and I have to drink a 4 litre jug of a laxative solution!!! OMG is all I have to say! I expect I will start out Christmas down a few pounds and knowing they will quickly return. At least I will be out of the cookies for a few days while I am on a liquid diet. Sorry if I already told you this. I know it is more than you wanted to know.

Sandy -- You did the right thing with the dance. Bryanna is a smart girl and she will understand. I hope the back is giving you a bit of relief. Maybe the win will help!

I have to get ready to go out for dinner with my sister and a friend so will get back later for personals.

Thinking about you all. Marie, at least you noticed you sent the wrong thing!! :wink: Take care and keep smiling. Gayla :heart:
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Hello Mary, We are delighted t to have you join us. This is a great site and our senior golden sneakers is a bunch of fun loving bunch. Please tell us about yourself. Most of us have dogs or kitty cat are both.
    I will tell you a little about us. We keep a birthday list so we can wish you Happy birthday when it rolls around and Just post your monthaand date we don't need the year.

We also have a recipe thread here is the link just click on it and it will take you threre. We just started this not too many recipes yet feel free to post some of your faverite recipe.

My name is Marieand 81 years old. I don't know how the bunch put up with me But they do. I have a jack Russell name Sammy. He keeps my husband and me on our toes. Be waiting to hear more from you.
    :heart: Marie

Golden Sneakers Recipes
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    About my test, I got the instructions and I have to drink a 4 litre jug of a laxative solution!!! OMG is all I have to say!

Oh, Gayla... that's the same stuff my husband had to drink. He'd been on a liquid diet for 36 hours before he had to choke down that stuff and he couldn't get it all down. He drank about half. I poured the other half down the sink the day of his surgery.

There is a flavored variety - I hope that's what you got. :drinker:
  • tlp8rb
    Options
    I would also like to join this group. I am getting ready to celebrate my 61st birthday. I joined MFP about a year ago, but didn't get serious about losing weight until the last few months. Since then I have lost 26 lbs., but have many more to go. My goal for the month is to get to 190.

Hi, Mary Ellen and welcome. We are all at different mile markers on our weight loss path and that keeps things interesting. Like Marie said, we're a good bunch of men and women - more women than men at the moment but that could change at any time.

I'm Connie. I'm 69 and have been actively working at a life style change since mid-October when my husband was diagnosed with heart failure and I knew we both had to do something. He had open heart surgery nine days ago and is doing great. He's lost 27 pounds but I don't recommend that particular method. I've lost about 10 pounds less than he has.

We live deep in central Missouri in the Ozarks. We moved here from Wisconsin in 2007 in search of better weather and a more laid back lifestyle. We found both. We have four kids, four grandkids and two big Afghan Hounds.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Cat fish stew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I may have to make that. I have never made fish stew before. Sounds good. Will it freeze good, Connie? Thanks for the recipe You must be a good cook.You have posted some outstanding recipe. I got to get my daughter to show me how to make a folder and keep these by page numbers so I will know how to find them later on when we have ssuch a bunch of them. She is surpose to be out Sunday I have a slew of thingsfor her to help me with. I have a new computor that I got in July and it is difference than My old one. At least it is to me.

I had a good night sleep and on my first cup of coffeeThis is our Friday shopping day for groceries that we forgot Wed. and Sammy get to go . That will make that littlee doggie so happy. Jerry takes him on short trip. He knows when he can go or not. Jerry been known to keep the air condition on for him when it is real hot Sammy has lock him out of the car a couple times He stept on the button

..Today is my little brother birthday ., he and my son are close to the same age. That means my oldest son {my only son } will be 58 nrxt July. Where have the years gone? Seems just yesterday that they were babies.

See ya later-Marie
  • tlp8rb
    Options
    Do all of you know about the Window's Snipping Tool??? It is included in most Windows operating systems. By using the Snipping Tool you can capture part of anything you see on your computer screen including internet pages. If you look at the Golden Sneakers Recipe thread, it is the tool I used to capture the nutrition information for the Catfish Stew I posted.

To learn more about it, just Google Windows Snipping Tool or go to http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Use-Snipping-Tool-to-capture-screen-shots.

To find it on your computer, look under Programs, Accessories, Snipping Tool. I keep a short cut to this dandy accessory on my desk top and use it every day.
  • Oldbat61
    Oldbat61 Posts: 141
    Options

Hi Mary Ellen and welcome. I'm 62 and live in England. I'm a widow, my husband died in August 2009 and I have three children and seven grandchildren. I have been using MFP since early September and found this thread just a few days ago. The Golden Sneakers have made me feel so welcome and I really enjoy reading about all their activities. It is great to have so many friends offering encouragement and support for weight loss and all of life's other little challenges! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Pam
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Pam your Christmas plans sound wonderfu.will you be driv. have a wonderfull time. Will you be be ddrving

all over t he country side?

Connie I am fixing to go and copy your fish stew recipe . I got some catfish at the store just now and I think I have all the other stuff to make it If not I will just sub. for it. I also got stuff to make the Date nut cake Will be making it next week for Christmas. for the family Dinner.
  • Mamasota
    Mamasota Posts: 144
    Options
    Hi - it's your drop in friend Janette. This is late but WELCOME PAM. So nice to have someone from the UK. I have been on the road and learning a new job. In the past month I have been to Houston, LIttle Rock and Baltimore (twice). It will take me a while to catch up on your posts but I love reading them. This is such an interesting group.
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    :grumble: :noway: :ohwell: Hi everyone; I don't know why, but as ususal I'm way behind what I had planned for today, and in a rush again, but wanted to say hello to you all, and I miss spending a bit of time. I read your posts, though, so don't think I've disappeared :love: !

Sandy, I know money doesn't make up for it, but having never won anything ever, WOW on that Bingo win! I hope it alleviates the physical pain for a bit! And as for the huge drink, having been through it, my sympathy! :sick:

Gayla, you are one strong lady; our best wishes while this business with poor Neil solves itself! :flowerforyou:

Barbie, I used to love line-dancing, and you are such an inspiration, perhaps I'll try again. I feel so clumsy keeping up with all the arm movements! :bigsmile:

Jeffrey, good luck with catching up with the time you lost. Know you'll do it!

Marie, I must look up my New England fish chowder recipe. I hate fish, but I loved that made with haddock! Just can't promise when, so remind me if it slips my mind! :wink:

Pam, you have great posts, and such patience in relating things so well! :happy:

Connie, thanks for reminding me about the snipping tool! I forgot about it when my new hardrive got installed, as I, too, kept the icon on my desktop! Was it ever helpful getting my computer company to see the problems I was having, although I also used the print screen.. I really needed both! :bigsmile:

Mary, welcome to this wonderful thread! It's been so helpful to me, and I'm sure you will learn even more from this lovely group! I am the "elder" here, so far, having usurped Marie's roll! :wink:

My nutritionist was please that I had lost 4 pounds in 3 weeks, and I'm pleased, as well. At this rate, I should lose more than I want to by this time next year! The journalling on this site is very helpful, as I understand what I'm undereating and overeating! And the Duke University Diet suggests in today's email that getting on the scale everyday is to be encouraged! We read so much conflicting advice about weighing daily, but as for me, if I miss it, I can easily gain weight! It's my strictist task master!

Forgive me if I missed someone (actually, I don't know the name of the gal who peeks in every so often, but post more and I'll remember you! :ohwell: ) but I thought I didn't have time for Word!!!
  • Oldbat61
    Oldbat61 Posts: 141
    Options
    Pam your Christmas plans sound wonderfu.will you be driv. have a wonderfull time. Will you be be ddrving

all over t he country side?

Connie I am fixing to go and copy your fish stew recipe . I got some catfish at the store just now and I think I have all the other stuff to make it If not I will just sub. for it. I also got stuff to make the Date nut cake Will be making it next week for Christmas. for the family Dinner.

Buzz - yes I will be driving; it is nothing like the distances you may be used to on that side of the water but I will still need to cover a lot of miles. I don't mind the driving although I don't get the same pleasure as I used to from doing it.

Well, I think I have finally finished wrapping the Christmas presents and writing the cards. Today I made the brandy butter - sooooo NOT diet but delicious - with unsalted butter, icing sugar and brandy. We have it with Christmas pudding and mince pies (both of which are made with lots of dried fruit like raisins, currants and sultanas and lots of booze). My grown up children (and now the older grandkids) insist that I make it "because the stuff you can buy in the shops doesn't have enough brandy"!!!!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: I made the Christmas Cake some weeks ago, a rich fruit cake, and I have been "feeding" it with brandy. In another week I will ice it and put on the sugarcraft decorations my daughter Dawn and I made at the Church Craft day the other week. Buzz, I have made a note of your Date Nut cake recipe and I will certainly be trying it in the next few months - it looks delicious. Can someone post a Pumpkin Pie recipe for me please. I was taking part on another thread where people were concerned about keeping to their calorie goals over the Thanksgiving holiday. My friend Louise and I became honorary Americans and promised to eat something naughty to keep in the spirit of things. We couldn't get any Pumpkin Pie over here so I had a Maple and Pecan Danish and Louise had some Carrot Cake. It would be great if next year we could "join" you at the Thanksgiving Dinner Table by making a Pumpkin Pie over here!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Today I went to the second to youngest grandchild's school. Ruby is 6 years old and it was the school Christmas play today for grandparents and friends of the school (parents went earlier in the week). It was a lovely play called 'The Landlord's Cat' where the children told the story of the nativity through the eyes of the cat "who was waiting for a miracle". All the children were great and were so enthusiastic with the acting and singing; it really was a fun afternoon. With God's Blessing I have many more years to watch the children as Ruby's sister, Louise, is only 3 years old and will be following her big sister into the school in two years time.

Well, better stop now. Lots of friendship hugs to you all from this side of the pond. Take care and be happy; live for today and enjoy the moment - tomorrow will take care of itself.

Pam:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Oops on the wrong thread
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,992 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: As soon as I finish washing all the Hanukkah towels and potholders I'll finish putting away the decorations.....the dogs will be disappointed because they get a treat every night when we light candles.

:flowerforyou: Buzz, my line dance classes include people from 40 something to 80 something.......none of our dances have much in the way of arm movements although some of the more skilled and creative dancers add turns and arm movements.......

:flowerforyou: Pam, your holiday travel plans sound great...congratulations to your granddaughter on her academic success

:flowerforyou: Mary Ellen, welcome to the friendliest group of people.....we look forward to getting to know you better

:flowerforyou: Gayla, sorry to hear that there isn't better news for Neil......it is so hard to wait patiently for things to change and more surgery certainly isn't a happy prospect.

:flowerforyou: Sandy, I'm glad that Bryanna is getting comfortable with the family decision to take her out of that expensive competition.........that's a lot of money and most people don't have it to spare.

:flowerforyou: Irene, I send high hopes that your cancer tests turn out to be good news.

:flowerforyou: Jeffrey, I hope you get good information from the surgeon and that you'll soon be on your way to your usual high energy workout level......how does Joe the cat like the snow ?

:flowerforyou: Connie, I'm glad to hear that there is good news and continued progress with your husband's recovery and weight loss

:flowerforyou: My line dance teaching went well...the most important thing was that I wasn't nervous and didn't make any serious mistakes that confused anyone.......I'll reteach the dance next Thursday.:flowerforyou: :bigsmile:

We are having mild enough weather to allow me to work in the yard....but tonight it seems to be getting much cooler.

:flowerforyou: we went to a party yesterday and I ate a few things I never have in the house (cheese and cashews :bigsmile: )....I ate light the rest of the day and got a lot of exercise to match the calories consumed.

:flowerforyou: I barely have time for MFP. I can't imagine where I'd find the time for Facebook.......those of you who keep up with both are amazing.
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone from very cold Saskatchewan!! I did want to let you know about Neil’s appointment with the neurosurgeon today. Neil expressed himself very well with his whisper and hoarse voice. One of the things he said was he wanted to sing Christmas carols. I was so proud of him. The Dr. expressed how sad he was that this happened and you could certainly see it on his face and in his voice. He did say that surgically he could do some reconstruction of sorts by connecting a different nerve and make some changes so that the vocal chords gets the impulse. He says that we have time to wait for recovery for several months. He will also make contact with the speech therapist to try to move things along in that regard. Afterwards I scolded Dave for making me cry. Dave mentioned that the best thing Neil had going for him was his speech and now he doesn’t have that. At that point my eyes welled up and overflowed. My back was to Dave so he didn’t see (and I was glad) and I expect it didn’t hurt for the Dr. and nurse to see how profoundly sad we were about this. I was thankful that I quickly gained control and didn’t become a blubbering idiot!! Neil really doesn’t need to see that. So it looks like there may be some options, unfortunately both surgical. I will have to ask him how many of these surgeries he has done. No place for experimenting on Neil!! Sometimes it seems like my life is an ocean, riding those waves. I should always be careful not to get to the height of the wave as surely the fall is not far away! Thank you all for letting me vent and it is now time to put the sadness away for a time. We will continue to pray for that miracle.

We took Neil to his work and then Dave and I went to Starbucks where I had my favorite Tea Latte. I know it was not a wise choice but I didn’t really care at that point. I went to lunch with my work colleagues which was very nice and then did a little work in the afternoon. As much as I enjoy my work I am so glad I only work 5 hours a week!! Someone asked me today if I would consider increasing my hours and without missing a beat I replied in the negative!

Marie – Great idea to have the recipe thread! I have never had catfish but I do like haddock (I know someone mentioned it). There used to be so many recipes on Wendy’s (the original site that I met my good friend, Marie, on.

Connie – Ugh! You are not encouraging me about the Colyte!!! I can work up a good gag without even having the stuff in the fridge. I think the docs should have to try this stuff first! Glad that your dear husband got out, sounds like he is on the mend!

Mary Ellen – You are so welcome here. I look forward to getting to know you. I hope I don’t chase you away with my sad story today. Tomorrow will be a better day.

Pam – How is your backside? I hope you continue on the mend. It sounds like you have some wonderful travels ahead! The Brandy butter sounds amazing! Children are the best, they can take us back so easily to what matters.

Janette – So nice to see you pop in!

Buzz – Way to go on the loss!! You are doing fantastic.

Barbie – Good job on the teaching. I bet you are a wonderful teacher and the joy you feel while dancing makes it so much fun.

Barb – I know you are busy, just a quick Hi to you.

Jeffrey – Hope you are having fun training (carefully)!

Sandy – Have you already got that money spent? I hope you are having fun getting ready for Christmas.

My saga has come to an end. Take care everyone and keep smiling (what else can we do)!! Gayla :heart: :heart:
  • viliberty1957
    Options
    Got lots of good news today: chest X-ray showed lungs are clear; blood lab showed all good results including A1C of 6.7 which is good control (I'm shooting for under 6.5); and the CT scan showed no recurrence of disease (cancer). Oh, yes, can't forget that I have a little fuzz of hair on my head, and my Christmas Cactus bloomed. Now I've got to get busy with exercise and weight loss. I just haven't had the energy for EVERYTHING, but this really gives me motivation. Thanks for all your prayers and good wishes. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • tlp8rb
    Options
    Got lots of good news today: chest X-ray showed lungs are clear; blood lab showed all good results including A1C of 6.7 which is good control (I'm shooting for under 6.5); and the CT scan showed no recurrence of disease (cancer). Oh, yes, can't forget that I have a little fuzz of hair on my head, and my Christmas Cactus bloomed. Now I've got to get busy with exercise and weight loss. I just haven't had the energy for EVERYTHING, but this really gives me motivation. Thanks for all your prayers and good wishes. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :bigsmile:

Wonderful news, Irene. As a cancer survivor myself (twice - carcinoma and melanoma), I know the relief you're feeling. And watch that fuzz - lots of time it grows back in very curly.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Good morning all,

goodmorningiu9.jpg
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,126 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday!!

Marie – Love your good morning sunshine!! :flowerforyou: We are expecting lots of snow tonight so the sun was a beautiful sight.

Connie – Glad your husband is doing well, he sounds like he is on the mend and your life will go back to normal soon.

Mary Ellen – Welcome and so happy to have you join our group.

Pam – I agree with Gayla, the brandy butter sounds amazing. You seem to really enjoy life and keep yourself busy, that is wonderful.

Janette – Cute Picture!!

Buzz –Congratulations on the weight loss, that is some accomplishment.

Barbie –These Holidays seem go be coming and going quicker every year. I knew you would do a good job teaching, you are a natural.

Barb – Hi.

Jeffrey – Good News from the doctor. Jeff posted on Twitter no surgery is needed and he can go back to his training. Just don’t overdo it please.

Gayla- When I have the dreaded test, I refuse to drink that awful stuff so they have pills that I take that work the same way. They are pretty big horse pills and you have to take 3 every 15 minutes for a hour, if I remember correctly, but I can swallow pills much better than I can drink that STUFF. I will light a candle at Mass tonight and hope it is God will that Neil gets his voice back.

I hope I didn’t forget anyone but I just took my pills and they make me light headed for a little while but they do help with the pain.
    Later I will finish my Christmas cards and start wrapping presents.

Have a great day!!
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,126 Member
    Options
    What is the recipe link again please?