My own whey protein shake diet recipe to lose that 40 pounds

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    thisi s a horrible idea…if I just drank three shake a day I would be starving all the time …

Protein shakes are not meant to be meal replacement shakes..

why can't someone just eat 1500 calories of real food and lose weight?

why do I need these magical shakes?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    It seems like people are really outspoken about my plan. But before you knock it, Oprah herself use to support a shake diet of her own, and she use to drink about 500-700 calories a day and she was always starving. There are many ways to lose weight, it is just that some diets are more healthier than others, and I truly think that I have a healthy alternative unless someone can prove me wrong.

yea and oprah has been trying to lose weight for thirty years and has done every fad diet known to man ..how is that working out for her?
  • MrCrazyMike
    MrCrazyMike Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    The reason why it is a good idea to eat 1500 calories is so that your metabolism will not slow down as much.It is better to lose that weight slowly with a fast metabolism than to have a slow metabolism(due to a big decrease in calories being taken) by the time you reach your goal, which would then make you gain back your weight you lost very easily if you eat normally again.

with your diet this will happen regardless becasue you are losing muscle along with fat...

you want compliments on this? forget it...I will eat my 1700 caloires in real food and get my macros hit.

Wouldn't the 120 grams of protein that you would gain from the diet help maintain your muscle while you lose those 40 pounds? I am no expert in this but maybe you are right.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I'd much rather drink the same drink three times a day than have variety in my diet. Said no-one ever!
    So true!

You are missing the point, it is all about convenience. Plus, who doesn't like chocolate?

I like REAL chocolate ….i eat ice cream and cookies regularly..have lost weight, and am 12% body fat…

thanks, but I will keep eating real food…

I would suggest that no one follow this "plan" as they will be starving and it will lead to eventual binging….

what happens when you go back to eating real food..you will gain back a lot of water weight and glycogen and I bet you gain about 20 pounds back of the 40 that you lost...
  • tegalicious
    tegalicious Posts: 629
    Options
    I'd much rather drink the same drink three times a day than have variety in my diet. Said no-one ever!
    So true!

You are missing the point, it is all about convenience. Plus, who doesn't like chocolate?

Sorry but being hospitalized from anemia due to the lack of iron from this "diet" would be incredibly inconvenient for me.
  • MrCrazyMike
    Options
    thisi s a horrible idea…if I just drank three shake a day I would be starving all the time …

The recipe that I have is no ordinary protein shake.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    OP - again ..why can't you just eat 1500 calories of real food, hit macros, work out, and lose weight that way?
  • tegalicious
    Options
    OP - again ..why can't you just eat 1500 calories of real food, hit macros, work out, and lose weight that way?

Because magical unicorns man. Magical unicorns. Is it just me or has this place gone loony lately??
  • ndj1979
    Options

from your original post:
    1 cup of 1% milk
    1 scoop of chocolate whey protein
    1/2 cup of Quaker quick oats
    1 medium banana

^ that sounds pretty ordinary to me…

Please explain which ingredient is "extra ordinary"….
    Does it contain some magical property that I am not aware of?

i am starting to sense a troll ….
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    You blend these ingredients into a smoothy:

1 cup of 1% milk
    1 medium banana

This drink tastes good because the chocolate from the whey protein compliments the taste of the banana. I also believe that all these ingredients together gives all the nutrients needed to survive like vitamin A from the milk for instance. If you have this shake three times a day, you should intake about 1500 calories or so, which makes it a good number for the amount of calories you should have in a day also. This shake diet would be great if you wish to shed off like 40 pounds or so. This three shake diet also goes in line with the fact that you are suppose to drink about 3 glasses of milk a day. Any compliments? Thanks in advance.

First if I only drank 3 meals a day I would quit after the first shake because I would be starving. Now for the nutrition I just entered all your ingredients into my diary and the macro breakdown sucks:

Total Calories: 1527 Carbs 213 Fat 21 (yea no thanks) Protein 132 Potassium is low, Vitamins A, C & Iron low....

I'll stick with real food it seems to be working just fine for me and I actually learned portion control which your shake idea does not do
  • MrCrazyMike
    Options
    guys, let me make this clear. I am not telling what you guys should be doing. If you guys wish to eat solid foods to lose that 40 pounds, then I am fine with that. Also, as for the iron topic, according to nutrition data, a half a cup of dry quick oats equals 10% of the daily amount of iron, which means that 3 times that is 30%, not that 12-14% number that the guy said. I found that out earlier but I did not want to make it a big deal. I asked for people's comments on this plan and I guess I got it.
  • tegalicious
    Options
    guys, let me make this clear. I am not telling what you guys should be doing. If you guys wish to eat solid foods to lose that 40 pounds, then I am fine with that. Also, as for the iron topic, according to nutrition data, a half a cup of dry quick oats equals 10% of the daily amount of iron, which means that 3 times that is 30%, not that 12-14% number that the guy said. I found that out earlier but I did not want to make it a big deal. I asked for people's comments on this plan and I guess I got it.

The calcium in the milk will prevent the absorption of iron from the oats.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    The reason why it is a good idea to eat 1500 calories is so that your metabolism will not slow down as much.It is better to lose that weight slowly with a fast metabolism than to have a slow metabolism(due to a big decrease in calories being taken) by the time you reach your goal, which would then make you gain back your weight you lost very easily if you eat normally again.

with your diet this will happen regardless becasue you are losing muscle along with fat...

you want compliments on this? forget it...I will eat my 1700 caloires in real food and get my macros hit.

Wouldn't the 120 grams of protein that you would gain from the diet help maintain your muscle while you lose those 40 pounds? I am no expert in this but maybe you are right.

so to get all my protien I would have to drink 6 of those shakes...what about my fats? iron? etc...

This is a pi$$ poor diet..admit it. You may lose weight but at what cost...

And since like most people I like food...real food...and this would be an expensive diet...even at walmart 252g is 22$ that is a day with 6 shakes never mind the cost of everything else...I have to feed 2 big men in my house along with me...

No thanks...

But since I don't think this is an actual serious post I am just gonna watch now.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Trollolololol

This is such a stupid diet plan, i admit I love my morning shakes, but I also love eating real food!
  • MrCrazyMike
    Options

from your original post:
    1 cup of 1% milk
    1 medium banana

^ that sounds pretty ordinary to me…

Please explain which ingredient is "extra ordinary"….
    Does it contain some magical property that I am not aware of?

i am starting to sense a troll ….

When I hear protein shake, I think of a drink that doesn't touch on all the nutrients needed to survive. I say that this is no ordinary shake because I believe it does touch on all the nutrients. I am no troll, I just wanted people's opinions.
  • ndj1979
    Options

we are correcting the record so some newb does not come in here and think that is a legitimate plan ..

if you want to drink your magical concoction three times a day..then knock yourself out..However, me thinks you are going to be a starving, miserable person, and eventually you are going to do some serious binging..or at the end of this process you are going to put half of the weight that you lose back on ..

My dad tried something like this for two weeks and he was so weak he would get dizzy spells and went back to eating real food.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Sounds alright for a breakfast, but then again I'd rather have it in it's constituent parts - porridge, banana and protein shake.

And 1500 is not enough food for me, I'd be gnawing my arms off after about 3 days.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    At only 30% of your daily iron value you are still missing 70% a day. Malnutrition is a big problem when a good variety of foods are not consumed. Will you lose weight? Sure. Could you also end up anemic with scurvy? Very possibly. For me to lose 40 lbs on these shakes at 1500 calories per day it would take me about 40 weeks.....9 months. How would anyone be able to survive 40 weeks drinking nothing but these shakes? I would die in the gym and get sick all the time. I think most people want to eat solid food. And it isn't like a person can't get 120 grams of protein or more eating solid food. I accomplish it most days without the use of a plain protein drink. Protein shakes are great as a quick source of protein when you need it. The body needs the variety of nutrients from a wider source of foods.
  • KinoM
    KinoM Posts: 359 Member
    Options

Still less than a third of your RDA for Iron. My point stands.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Thank you for "inventing" this recipe that nobody with a can of protein powder and a blender has ever thought of before. After 25 years of weight watching, I really look forward to trying every super-restrictive weight loss method that I read about on the Internet! Especially those created by people just like me with no nutritional background.

OK, enough sarcasm. Your plan is just weird.