Foam Rollers Yay or Nay?

Options

Replies

• archaichoney
    archaichoney Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Dare you not to cry rolling out a fussy IT band. It hurrrrts sooo good. :sad:
  • StrongAtLast
    StrongAtLast Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I don't buy the inflammation thought. Foam rollers work on your myofascia (the "skin" or layer holding your muscles in).. It also works on trigger points, which are caused by many, many things: stress, inbalances, etc. I have a whole line of trigger points in my IT band when I am "out of whack" and it hurts like H*ll on the foam roller or that knobby roller. But if I keep it up, it helps take the pain away in my IT band and in my back (even though I don't specially work my lower back with the foam roller)
    I'd find another MT. Trigger point therapy is a very real (and often painful, but worth it) therapy
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Do you think this is worth it over just the regular foam roller? The price is WAY more but if it's a lot better I'd spring for it.

More than anything, it depends on how often you need it and how much muscle mass you have. I'm over 200 pounds lean and use it at least a couple times a week. I simply have more muscle and connective tissue mass to get through than most. The knobbles also allow it to be useful for small areas like back knots, neck, shoulders, etc. I had a very hard time using the flat roller for anything but my legs.

I felt a fair amount of relief using a plain, middle density foam roller, but this one simply does not *kitten* around. It gets deep, deep in there until I am on the verge of tears but then the pain is absolutely GONE.

So yeah, it's definitely more than the typical roller but simply by being so much better at it's job, and being able to use it on my whole body I would say it's totally worth it.
  • tegalicious
    tegalicious Posts: 629
    Options
    Love my Rumble Roller, but it's not for the faint of heart

RumbleRoller_display.png?1735

I had chronic knee pain after ACL surgery, went through PT, was getting strong again but it just wouldn't go away. Tried regular foam rollers but they weren't quite 'getting in there' enough. Got this beauty, and though it feels like the medieval torture device it appears to be, NEVER have I experienced such a fast or complete reduction in pain and stiffness. Use it on the regular now for everything from back knots to shoulders to legs. Wouldn't go without one.

Do you think this is worth it over just the regular foam roller? The price is WAY more but if it's a lot better I'd spring for it.

wine bottle- baseball bat- pvc pipe- all about the same LOL
    Where....did....you....find....this....glorious.......looking.....device?????
    di*ks sporting goods
    target has a new one that's pretty close to it
    also try a Tiger Tail- it's much more narrow- and instead of using body weight you hold- press down and roll with your hands.

Thanks! I suppose I could have just googled it too. Oops.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    I say nay because they're too expensive. I feel like I get the same effect from stretching normally. Just my 2 cents.
    But it's not the same effect. One works on direct pressure, while the other works by elongation.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I don't buy the inflammation thought. Foam rollers work on your myofascia (the "skin" or layer holding your muscles in).. It also works on trigger points, which are caused by many, many things: stress, inbalances, etc. I have a whole line of trigger points in my IT band when I am "out of whack" and it hurts like H*ll on the foam roller or that knobby roller. But if I keep it up, it helps take the pain away in my IT band and in my back (even though I don't specially work my lower back with the foam roller)
    I'd find another MT. Trigger point therapy is a very real (and often painful, but worth it) therapy

do you get trigger points on your IT band? mine are just tight- I don't usually get triggers on that- just muscle mass itself- but yeah- I mostly roll to break down that tension- which fugs up EVERYTHING north and south of it. So while I roll everything- my goal is to loosen up THAT since it's the fly in the cream if you will.
    More than anything, it depends on how often you need it and how much muscle mass you have. I'm over 200 pounds lean and use it at least a couple times a week. I simply have more muscle and connective tissue mass to get through than most. The knobbles also allow it to be useful for small areas like back knots, neck, shoulders, etc. I had a very hard time using the flat roller for anything but my legs.

I felt a fair amount of relief using a plain, middle density foam roller, but this one simply does not *kitten* around. It gets deep, deep in there until I am on the verge of tears but then the pain is absolutely GONE.

So yeah, it's definitely more than the typical roller but simply by being so much better at it's job, and being able to use it on my whole body I would say it's totally worth it.

if you roll ^^this much than a denser high quality one is definitely worth it. I mean- a massage is what 60 bucks on average? so it's STILL less than a massage and gets you the same bennies- only at home- whenever you want.

I cant' use it- I have two because one was TO dense for me- i can use it now- 1. it's broken down a little and 2. I've been rolling long enough. But I still prefer my target one- it has little baby nobbies- allows for some give into the outer layer- I carry a lot a great deal of fat on my legs- and for some reason they are hyper sensitive to that skin pressure- so the nobbies allow for deep pressure but give on the skin- it's weird- but it works.
    I say nay because they're too expensive. I feel like I get the same effect from stretching normally. Just my 2 cents.
    so stretching is the same as a deep tissue massage?

because that's all foam rolling is- self myo-fascial release. which is what deep tissue massage is- without the "self" part.

which is not what stretching is.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I say yes. I strained my lower back muscles doing yoga over a year ago when I was too out of shape to push myself at hot yoga. I got a roller and have used it on my back, and it always feels really good after I roll it out.

I just lay on my back and use my arms and legs as leverage and put as much pressure as I think I need on my back and roll it back and forth. I also use it for my outer thigh/hips and butt.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Definitely yay. I use a high-density one (black - it came with instruction manual) mostly on my legs either before or after a run. I wouldn't be able to run longish distances without it. Well worth it and not much money if you look around.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Yay. Absolute yay.

I started running a few months ago (C25k), and when I was talking to my friend who is a physical therapist, this was her #1 recommendation. Pain/Injury from tight IT bands is one of the most common injuries in runners, and foam rolling is the most effective prevention. It's a area that is difficult to stretch/massage any other way.

I got mine at Target for about $25.

Like other posters said, hurts so good.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I started foam rolling about a month ago .. and yes the pain can be painful. (yes really), but it is a good pain.

They are about $45 here .. and I am thinking about buying one to use at home.
  • StrongAtLast
    StrongAtLast Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    @joRocker:

do you get trigger points on your IT band? mine are just tight- I don't usually get triggers on that- just muscle mass itself- but yeah- I mostly roll to break down that tension- which fugs up EVERYTHING north and south of it. So while I roll everything- my goal is to loosen up THAT since it's the fly in the cream if you will.

Sent you amessage..but YES!!! Trigger points on my whole lower body! when they are good, my back is good!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    With all of my back squatting, dead lifting, front squatting, RDLs, lunges and cycling I'd be up **** creek without my foam roller.
  • Mrscanmore
    Mrscanmore Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    I saw some on ebay for about $15 including shipping. Would that be a good starting point? Or too cheap?
    http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjAwWDYwMA==/z/49EAAOxydlFS~cUC/$_12.JPG
  • mbilling
    mbilling Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    So much yay while screaming NAY! Beautiful, blinding pain!
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    They also make a great whiffle ball bat for 5 year olds
  • Dalker
    Dalker Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Stupid question, but does foam rolling help improve flexibility? I have stupidly tight hamstrings which my physio said is contributing to some issues I have. I stretch every day with unimpressive results.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Stupid question, but does foam rolling help improve flexibility? I have stupidly tight hamstrings which my physio said is contributing to some issues I have. I stretch every day with unimpressive results.

YES.

it absolutely helps.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Everything I've read previously says to foam-roll before lifting. Yet, it appears many here advocate it for after. Which, of course, makes sense. Maybe I'll have to try it after from now on - especially on leg days.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Everything I've read previously says to foam-roll before lifting. Yet, it appears many here advocate it for after. Which, of course, makes sense. Maybe I'll have to try it after from now on - especially on leg days.

My (admitted limited) understanding is that squashing a muscle right before you use it is probably not the best idea.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Seems to work for Jim Wendler and Brandon Lilly.

eta: They both use foam rolling as part of their pre-workouts.