How often do you log your weight?

Options

Replies

• eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and log any change (positive or negative)
    keeps me focused
  • HealthyishWithMaggieG
    HealthyishWithMaggieG Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Daily, it is all great information for you. You can go back and look at the patterns of what types of food you ate that caused the gains, especially if you gain for a few days in a row. Could be sodium, high fat etc. Anyways, it's all data that can aid you in the future. If you use gains as a positive instead of a negative, then you will not be hard on yourself!

This!

Yes but your body fluctuates so much on a daily basis ....

Mine especially with water weight... So I am up two down two up one down two... And it's all water fluctuation so there isn't some big mystery to track.

That may be the case for you, but not necessarily everybody. If my weight is fluctuating/increasing that much, I can typically look at my food diary and figure out why (too much sodium or too much fat or whatever). I'm in the losing mode now, so I expect the weight to decrease daily. By keeping a close eye on things and not going over by too much on my macros, I can pretty much guarantee this will happen. I'd just rather know what's going on, so I can address it ASAP, rather than wait a week or a month or 3 months. Once I get to maintenance, I do expect my weight will go up and down some, based on where I am in my cycle, but I'd still want to know what's going on each day, so I can see if there's a weight gain pattern that isn't attributed to my TOM and address it before it gets out of control.
  • ALNoog
    ALNoog Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Daily, it is all great information for you. You can go back and look at the patterns of what types of food you ate that caused the gains, especially if you gain for a few days in a row. Could be sodium, high fat etc. Anyways, it's all data that can aid you in the future. If you use gains as a positive instead of a negative, then you will not be hard on yourself!

This!

Mine especially with water weight... So I am up two down two up one down two... And it's all water fluctuation so there isn't some big mystery to track.

That may be the case for you, but not necessarily everybody. If my weight is fluctuating/increasing that much, I can typically look at my food diary and figure out why (too much sodium or too much fat or whatever). I'm in the losing mode now, so I expect the weight to decrease daily. By keeping a close eye on things and not going over by too much on my macros, I can pretty much guarantee this will happen. I'd just rather know what's going on, so I can address it ASAP, rather than wait a week or a month or 3 months. Once I get to maintenance, I do expect my weight will go up and down some, based on where I am in my cycle, but I'd still want to know what's going on each day, so I can see if there's a weight gain pattern that isn't attributed to my TOM and address it before it gets out of control.

But any actual gain like that on a daily basis is going to be 99% of the time attributed to water... It is highly unlikely to gain 2 pounds of fat over night... The sheer number of calories you'd have to eat in one day two gain two pounds of fat over night is almost impossible....
  • ALNoog
    Options

This!

And yes .. If looking at your food indicates you had too much sodium then that's water weight and not an actual gain.....
  • ALNoog
    Options

This!

But any actual gain like that on a daily basis is going to be 99% of the time attributed to water retention.... It is highly unlikely to gain 2 pounds of fat over night... The sheer number of calories you'd have to eat in one day two gain two pounds of fat over night is almost impossible....
  • Ataraxia81
    Ataraxia81 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning when I first wake up. All my weigh ins are automatically logged since I use the Fitbit Aria scale. The only numbers I really pay attention to are usually Sunday's. Once a week I check to see how I did. My weight loss has not been in significant amounts so I know that I won't see big losses. Also helps me keep track of what and how much I am eating.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Rarely now since I've hit my goal.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Weigh and log daily, gains and losses.
  • lilmisfit1987
    lilmisfit1987 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I resist the urge to weight myself constantly and just weigh myself at the beginning of each month. The larger number is more encouraging to me and I am easily discouraged if I see no improvement.
  • carolsteele45
    carolsteele45 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm an accountant and I like numbers, so you might have to take this with a grain of salt...

I weigh daily, and I record that in a spreadsheet that I have set up. From that data I calculate a 7-day moving average of my daily weights and that is what I pay most attention to -- is it steady or trending down. For me, the 7 day average rarely moves up unless I haven't been following my program...........................

:flowerforyou:

Similar to this - I find the scales draw me like a magnet first thing in the morning - weight is recorded on a graph in a Photoshop document and compared to my targeted loss. I also record every week in a spreadsheet so that my BMI, BMR and TDEE can be calculated accurately.
    ............. and yes I record when I gain too - otherwise it is like cheating and not logging food that you eat during the day.
  • adopp062715
    adopp062715 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily, right after I go to the bathroom first thing in the morning. I do it the same way each time. I only record my weight once a week in the app though, usually on Saturday mornings. Seeing it daily for me is a good reminder that even though I was good the day before my weight can still go up. Especially if I eat something with too much salt, which does happen on occassion.
  • Kari121869
    Kari121869 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and log any change (positive or negative)
    keeps me focused

I've decided this is what I'm going to do as well. Until today I would weigh daily but only log a loss... then wonder why I would plateau for a month + at a time... I think with logging my weigh in every day I will be able to see what I've had the day before and how/what's affecting me (ie water retention, etc)...
  • I log my weight around every two weeks or so.
  • JackieRL55
    JackieRL55 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Here's my rule: if the number on the scale will affect your motivation negatively, weigh less often. If it motivates you positively regardless of loss or gain, weigh in as often as you like. I have an Aria FitBit scale that I LOVE and I weigh in every day so it posts automatically to MFP every day. If the scale says even one ounce more than the day before, I work extra hard that day. If the scale goes down, I work extra hard that day.

My point is, *kitten* the scale, WORK HARD EVERY DAY! Even on rest day, work hard to watch what you eat. Put in the work, get the results.
  • Mar22ie
    Mar22ie Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I step on the scale every single day. All day long if I could. I know that isn't the thing to do. I log on Sunday mornings.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I'm an accountant and I like numbers, so you might have to take this with a grain of salt...

I weigh daily, and I record that in a spreadsheet that I have set up. From that data I calculate a 7-day moving average of my daily weights and that is what I pay most attention to -- is it steady or trending down. For me, the 7 day average rarely moves up unless I haven't been following my program.

I record my Sunday weight in MFP just so that I have something in here for reports (and so that I can get pats on the back from my friends). And yeah, if it's up for the week I still record it -- of COURSE I do. It's just information, and if I have crappy information, then I can't make decisions about what's working and what isn't. Garbage in, garbage out and all that.

:flowerforyou:

It's good to know I am not alone! I do the same thing, and get teased about it constantly! I have all kinds if charts and graphs to go along with my data. Hee hee...stats geek I am!

Yup, me too! I had a spreadsheet with an input tab and a pivot table. I also log my daily weight in MFP--more data points the better! It shows the pattern of losses and gains. I think I would get more discouraged if I only logged one day/week because if it happens to fluctuate up on my log day, I wouldn't know about all the days it was down before.
  • ALNoog
    Options
    I resist the urge to weight myself constantly and just weigh myself at the beginning of each month. The larger number is more encouraging to me and I am easily discouraged if I see no improvement.

That's exactly how I am too.... Event though I know those little fluctuations are not a actually fat gain I still get discouraged if I weigh daily and am up....
  • bobwest185
    bobwest185 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Weigh daily, try to log on Fridays. Will post ups but hopefully most will be down.
  • ladyred2479
    ladyred2479 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    honestly I used to be OBSESSED with the scale! Especially when I first started to get healthy and was trying to lose weight. I eventually learned to not weigh myself more than once every 10 days or more because if the number on the scale didn't reflect what I was hoping to see I would immediately get discouraged, which is BAD. As our bodies start to change we are losing fat but gaining muscle, muscle weighs more than fat and the scale doesn't reflect those PHYSICAL changes. So you NEED to take your measurements every two weeks or at least once a month. so when the scale doesn't budge but you have lost inches you will KNOW that you ARE making progress. Screw the dang scale it's a filthy liar :-) I've been on my fitness journey for over a year now and I have learned so much in the process. you can always message me for any other questions or concerns. !
  • sandrac148
    sandrac148 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Every Monday morning.