Why do some people insist on running on the road?

Options

Replies

• AlanByam
    AlanByam Posts: 36
    Options
    The concrete is much harder than asphault.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I run on the road to avoid the up down and slanted aprons. I run at 5:00 AM so traffic is not a problem. I pick less traveled roads and prefer ones with bike lanes. I alway face traffic and wear bright reflective clothing. Just what I like to do.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Asphalt is softer than concrete, so its easier on the joints. Plus sometimes sidewalks are uneven and dangerous.

But anyone running in the road should wear reflective colors or blinky lights

^^^^ THIS
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    The other night, there was a woman dressed in all black running on the road when it was dark out. She was running right next to the sidewalk. I was turning the corner and could have hit her if I hadn't turned so wide.

You should have called the cops on her. :laugh:
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I attended a funeral for a good friend and coworker who was hit by a car while biking on the road.
    Stay safe, MFPeeps.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Asphalt is softer than concrete, so its easier on the joints. Plus sometimes sidewalks are uneven and dangerous.

this

If I ran on the sidewalk, I would only be able to run once every 10 days or so, because that's how long it takes my knees to recover from running on concrete. I've tried it - with bad results.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Pedestrians have not only the right to be on the road, but also the right of way. It's the drivers responsibility to avoid hitting them. I agree that there is a time and a place. I won't run on the road if it's a very busy road, rush hour, that type of thing. I also am all lit up when it's dark.

That is not true for all conditions, at least in my state of Pennsylvania. Certainly a driver may face charges if he/she hits a pedestrian, but pedestrians do not necessarily have right of way when running on the road.....

Taken directly from this site, which is through the Pennsylvania DMV: http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/vehicle_code/chapter35.pdf

Section 3543 is referred to in section 3542 of this title.
    §
    Pedestrians walking along or on highway.
    (a)Mandatory use of available sidewalk.
    Where a sidewalk is provided and its use is practicable, it is unlawful for any pedestrian to walk along and upon an adjacent roadway.
    (b)Absence of sidewalk.
    Where a sidewalk is not available, any pedestrian walking along and upon a highway shall walk only on a shoulder as far as
    practicable from the edge of the roadway.
    (c)Absence of sidewalk and shoulder.
    Where neither a sidewalk nor a shoulder is available, any pedestrian walking along and upon a highway shall walk as near as practicable to an outside edge of the roadway and, if on a two-way roadway, shall walk only on the left side of the roadway.
    (d)Right of way to vehicles.
    Except as otherwise provided in this subchapter, any pedestrian upon a roadway shall yield the right of way to all vehicles upon the roadway.

From scanning though, it seems like the exceptions are generally types of things like when a pedestrian is crossing a road in a crosswalk.

Personally as a driver, I find it very annoying when runners use the road when a sidewalk is available. I am a runner myself and stay on the sidewalks. If I need a softer surface, I drive to a park and run on the trails.

Also a good idea to check on the use of bike lanes. In Phoenix, and most surrounding cities, it is illegal for a runner to be in a bike lane. Someone I know got a warning for running in a bike lane.
  • rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    Options

This. I've heard asphalt is 10 times softer than cement. You should also run against traffic not with it.
  • All of the reasons people have listed already PLUS sharing the sidewalk with other pedestrians have caused me problems in the past.

People like to walk beside each other, or have kids and dogs with them so I end up having to go off sidewalk and what's where the injuries happen. If people are coming towards you and are nice, they sometimes move out of your way but if you come up behind them and say excuse me, it scares them even if you try to make noise prior to announcing yourself.

I even had a 7 or 8 year old kid stop his bike sideways to block the sidewalk when he saw me coming.
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I'll always run on the sidewalk over the road if it's available and free of snow/ice/sprinklers.

In the summer, I swear no matter what time I go for a run, the sprinklers in the park adjacent to my house are ALWAYS on, and they go right over the sidewalk. Drives me CRAZY. So then it's like I have no choice but to run on the street.

However, I also live in a pretty rural area, so with the exception of a few main roads, I don't really have that much traffic to worry about. I definitely wear reflective or bright clothing if I'm out in the dark though.
  • AmyMalley77
    AmyMalley77 Posts: 72 Member
    Options

This. I've heard asphalt is 10 times softer than cement. You should also run against traffic not with it.

Our sidewalks are cement in and around our neighborhood, so I will run on the asphalt because it feels a LOT better on my legs. Sometimes if there is more traffic, I will move to the sidewalk and run along side it in the grass (public roads, not our neighborhood roads--I dont run through people's yards!) until the line of cars passes.

If I am running in the road though, I am properly dressed with some reflective wear and bright colors. I hate when I see people running/walking/biking in improper clothing.
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I live out in the country. We don't have sidewalks :laugh:

I always hated running on sidewalks. Too uneven and unpredictable at how well they are maintained or just randomly end.

This is my situation as well.

Also, you are setting yourself up for some major pain if you think that 2 ton truck coming at you is going to stop/swerve/slow down to observe some pre-conceived notion of a pedestrians right of way. Get off the road when you can and look out for yourself, don't trust a driver/other runners/the white stick man at the cross walks who says its safe to go at the same time as people turning right, to do it for you. You are your safety's strongest and, at times, only advocate. Be smart.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

this
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Must be Beatles fans.

why-dont-we-do-it-in-the-road.jpg
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner....definitely not outside so I don't get it the need to run outdoors in Chicago ... especially this winter. Subzero temps, lots of snow ...

Just workout inside for a few months....

I hate feeling like I am going to kill someone one of these days.

Like I said...not an outdoor runner...don't get it. :)
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Even the most well-kept sidewalk will have uneven parts where it meets driveways, hills, and curbs. It just takes one little screw up to really mess your ankle up.

OR shoulder. I had a major shoulder surgery due to a bad fall after twisting my ankle while trying to jump up on a side walk to avoid being ran over by a huge truck. Twisted my ankle, went down and dislocated my shoulder in the front. Tore my labrum in two places. Ankle surgery to fix the ankle, shoulder surgery to fix the tears and tighten ligaments and anchor to bone.

Needless to say, I shall never run again. NOT WORTH it.
  • thenewmanda
    thenewmanda Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I run on the road for the same reason as most everyone else who has answered. It's more forgiving on my knees, the sidewalks are uneven and have cracks in them, dogs tied up in the yard that like to chase runners, just to name a few. However reflective or bright gear is definitely a must.
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Pedestrians have not only the right to be on the road, but also the right of way. It's the drivers responsibility to avoid hitting them. I agree that there is a time and a place. I won't run on the road if it's a very busy road, rush hour, that type of thing. I also am all lit up when it's dark.

That is not true for all conditions, at least in my state of Pennsylvania. Certainly a driver may face charges if he/she hits a pedestrian, but pedestrians do not necessarily have right of way when running on the road.....

Yes. I live in Georgia and you cannot run on the road (if there is sidewalk present) if there is car within 100 feet of you. A friend of mine got a warning from an officer for this the other day.

I only run on the sidewalk on very busy streets. This is why I do my long runs VERY early on the weekends. So I can have the run of MY streets :) before there is traffic. I have run on sidwalks for 3 days in a row (because I have been running during my son's baseball practice and that is the only option) and my knees hurt for the first time in over a year. Very, very taxing on joints.

I much prefer the street and actually giggle when I see people staring at me crazy when I am running right beside a sidewalk. I know exactly what they are thinking...i used to think it too. I try to give these people a break, since they are clearly not runners. Anyone who has run on both surfaces could tell you why most prefer the asphalt. My question has always been, why aren't sidewalks made of asphalt? I'm guessing it must be a cost/maintenence thing???
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Sidewalks are dangerous and often have changing heights, curb cuts and debris. I have had to falls running, one on a curb cut, and the other on ice. I run facing traffic and I am well lit, reflective and brightly colored.
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Also, you are setting yourself up for some major pain if you think that 2 ton truck coming at you is going to stop/swerve/slow down to observe some pre-conceived notion of a pedestrians right of way. Get off the road when you can and look out for yourself, don't trust a driver/other runners/the white stick man at the cross walks who says its safe to go at the same time as people turning right, to do it for you. You are your safety's strongest and, at times, only advocate. Be smart.

Also this...I don't play chicken with cars anymore. I used to be stubborn and think I had every right to be there and they should see me. Then I read an article about a runner getting mowed over in clear daylight. Now I've started thinking, what if the driver is texting or turn around to check on their kids in the back seat, or are just daydreaming. I won't chance it. When I car is coming, I jump up to the sidewalk until they pass...then I'm back out on the road again.