My meeting with a Sports Nutritionist

Options

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    As a scientist I would like to remind people of the "Half-life of facts", which says that over time half of what you know to be true will be untrue.

Skepticism and questioning facts are vital to progress. Hating on a forum that, at it's core, is supposed to encourage and inspire users to lose weight is wrong.

As a scientist I would expect you to appreciate asking for facts rather than being asked to take someone's word for things. Skepticism and questioning facts is vital to progress, I completely agree. And questioning and arguing the minutiae of an assertion is how we find truth.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    When an egg is released but isn’t fertilized, the body secretes progesterone to start the menstrual flow.

This is incorrect.
    Progesterone is secreted starting with ovulation to prepare the uterus for implantation of the fertilized egg. If there is a pregnancy, progesterone secretion continues.
    If the egg isn't fertilized, progesterone secretion drops off and the uterine lining sloughed off.

tumblr_m4ckc8oNSp1qzydh2o1_500.gif

I missed that post otherwise I wouldn't have bothered with mine. And it was much more to the point than mine (shocker).
  • fpskelly
    fpskelly Posts: 15
    Options
    Skepticism and questioning facts are vital to progress. Hating on a forum that, at it's core, is supposed to encourage and inspire users to lose weight is wrong.

.... The first part seems to contradict the second.

In my opinion they don't.

I can question your "facts" and promote what I believe to be true without it descending into an argument.

Questioning someone's facts and promoting your own opinion instead is pretty much the definition of an argument.

I guess that depends on what side of the Atlantic you're on.
  • lynnie30
    lynnie30 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm saving this to read later:)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Thank you for taking the time to share this! Very informative and just plain common sense. She's the expert and I believe what she says. Pay no attention to all the crackpots coming out of the MFP woodwork to dispute what she told you and 'prove her wrong!'

LOL ..all the 'crackpots" are the ones that have kept weight off and recomped their bodies over a period of years…but hey, what would people that have actual long term success know...
  • lindseyas1
    lindseyas1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    In high school, my friend's dad was a doctor and he told us the same thing about eating more around PMS. Glad to hear it from someone else!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I have coffee for breakfast every day and usually dont eat until after noon.

I am doing quite well.

YOU GONNA GET FAT!
    oprah-free-car.gif
  • fpskelly
    fpskelly Posts: 15
    Options
    As a scientist I would like to remind people of the "Half-life of facts", which says that over time half of what you know to be true will be untrue.

As a scientist I would expect you to appreciate asking for facts rather than being asked to take someone's word for things. Skepticism and questioning facts is vital to progress, I completely agree. And questioning and arguing the minutiae of an assertion is how we find truth.

I agree totally and you missed my point. A discussion is welcome. An argument isn't.
  • lizzardsm
    lizzardsm Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    AS A SCIENTIST....
    I'm going to have to agree with the masses that this all sounds like correlation and not causation.

BUT

I'm actually going to speak to her credentials. She's a sports nutritionist. SPORTS. Not a nutritionist who specializes in weight loss. She does seem to know her stuff when it comes to sports. But knowing about sports does not mean she knows about weight loss.

The two are not the same. For example. I am a Social Psychologist. I conduct research on gender discrimination in the workplace and leadership. Saying a sports nutritionist can speak with authority and expertise on weight loss is like saying that I can start treating patients for depression.

LINE UP FOLKS! DOCTOR LIZ IS IN!!!
  • ndj1979
    Options

I am doing quite well.

YOU GONNA GET FAT!
    oprah-free-car.gif

this made me LOL
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Thank you for taking the time to share this! Very informative and just plain common sense. She's the expert and I believe what she says. Pay no attention to all the crackpots coming out of the MFP woodwork to dispute what she told you and 'prove her wrong!'

LOL ..all the 'crackpots" are the ones that have kept weight off and recomped their bodies over a period of years…but hey, what would people that have actual long term success know...

Yep. And the real argument among people who having done this is a razor thin area. We waste an incredible amount of time arguing with the idiots rather than discussing the gray areas among ourselves.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    AS A SCIENTIST....
    I'm going to have to agree with the masses that this all sounds like correlation and not causation.

BUT

I'm actually going to speak to her credentials. She's a sports nutritionist. SPORTS. Not a nutritionist who specializes in weight loss. She does seem to know her stuff when it comes to sports. But knowing about sports does not mean she knows about weight loss.

The two are not the same. For example. I am a Social Psychologist. I conduct research on gender discrimination in the workplace and leadership. Saying a sports nutritionist can speak with authority and expertise on weight loss is like saying that I can start treating patients for depression.

but wait you are Dr. so you can perform open heart surgery on me, right?
  • wheird
    Options
    Every body works differently, I didn't eat breakfast during my first 20 lbs lost. I started eating breakfast because I didn't want to lose as fast as I was, and I'm still losing weight. I also used to eat dinner as my biggest meal of the day, being about 700-800 calories out of a 1300-1400 calorie day. And I lost weight fine...maybe these things she's SUGGESTING are for people who half *kitten* it in the gym and need extra help watching what they eat.

What is is SUGGESTING is really only relevant to people who are not counting calories and are taking a casual approach to nutrition. A person who is eating at a reasonable deficit and exercising a decent amount of self-control will see little to no benefit from eating a large breakfast and small dinner as calorie counting is what matters.

You can do all the research you want, but at the end of the day it's about each person experimenting with different methods to find what works for them, as opposed to taking someone's word as law because, "..but research! Statistics and numbers!" Things that can be correlational and not causational!

Because anecdote > research.

Riiiiight.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I agree totally and you missed my point. A discussion is welcome. An argument isn't.

It might help if you pointed out some of the posts you consider "hating" versus just "discussing." Otherwise we're just guessing at what you mean.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Yep. And the real argument among people who having done this is a razor thin area. We waste an incredible amount of time arguing with the idiots rather than discussing the gray areas among ourselves.

LOLZ …agreed...
  • lizzardsm
    lizzardsm Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    AS A SCIENTIST....

BUT

but wait you are Dr. so you can perform open heart surgery on me, right?

MOST DEFINITELY! It's one of my favorite past times! Now where is that pesky aorta...
  • wheird
    Options

To me they are one in the same.
  • breahremington
    Options

I am doing quite well.

YOU GONNA GET FAT!
    oprah-free-car.gif

mesmerizing, yet terrifying.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Well I'm sorry there has been a disagreement on MFP where you don't find it welcome.

Perhaps when you see a disagreement or debate on an internet forum you should just close your browser instead of entering into it.

Also: posts repeatedly arguing that arguments are not welcome. Well done.
  • wheird
    Options

Heh. You know, I actually question why I bother trying to help people on the main forums. The reasonable discussions take place in groups and you're not trying to explain basic concepts over and over and over to people who neither appreciate your time nor likely will follow the advice you give them.