My meeting with a Sports Nutritionist

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I read the OP and will add it to the body of knowledge I have gathered on weight loss. As with most bodies of knowledge - some of it is helpful and accurate. Some of it is contradictory. Some of the well established and researched "facts" will be disproved in years to come and we will look back and say - people actually believed that!

How can a "scientist" say that a bunch of misinformation and some outright lies "add to the body of knowledge"?

What kind of scientist are you?

lies and misinformation imply that there is a deliberate intent to mislead. Contradictory "facts" are common place in science as is disproving a well established "fact" or assumption.

A personal insult like - what sort of scientist are you? Is a perfect example of the difference between a discussion and "Hating" Thank you for so clearly showing the difference.

My question was a genuine question. I actually want to know what kind of scientist you are.
  • fpskelly
    fpskelly Posts: 15
    Options
    I read the OP and will add it to the body of knowledge I have gathered on weight loss. As with most bodies of knowledge - some of it is helpful and accurate. Some of it is contradictory. Some of the well established and researched "facts" will be disproved in years to come and we will look back and say - people actually believed that!

How can a "scientist" say that a bunch of misinformation and some outright lies "add to the body of knowledge"?

lies and misinformation imply that there is a deliberate intent to mislead. Contradictory "facts" are common place in science as is disproving a well established "fact" or assumption.

A personal insult like - what sort of scientist are you? Is a perfect example of the difference between a discussion and "Hating" Thank you for so clearly showing the difference.

My question was a genuine question. I actually want to know what kind of scientist you are.

Physics.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Physics.

That would be a field, not a type of scientist. University researcher? Lab assistant? High school teacher?
  • fpskelly
    Options

Physics.

That would be a field, not a type of scientist. University researcher? Lab assistant? High school teacher?

I was a Phd student studying partial dislocations and stacking faults in GaN semiconductor thin flims.

I am struggling to see your point though?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Physics.

I was a Phd student studying partial dislocations and stacking faults in GaN semiconductor thin flims.

(If I'm guessing, I suspect he will offer some untruths relevant to your field and ask if you would want them to go unchallenged on myscientistpal.com. That's the kind of parallel *I* would draw...

...if I wasn't so disheartened by the knowledge that actual scientists have no problem with untruths being allowed to stand unchallenged because they dare not cross over from a discussion to an argument.)
  • jonnythan
    Options

I'm not trying to make a point. Just struggling and trying to understand something. I'm failing.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Oh no. I've lost a good 130 lbs breaking most of these "rules".

And the lightest I've been my entire adult weight was when I rarely ate breakfast, as I'm typically not a breakfast person. And I maintained that for years.

Wow. What will I ever do now that I've broken so many rules? Perhaps I should regain the lost 130lbs as an act of penance?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    AS A SCIENTIST....
    I'm going to have to agree with the masses that this all sounds like correlation and not causation.

BUT

I'm actually going to speak to her credentials. She's a sports nutritionist. SPORTS. Not a nutritionist who specializes in weight loss. She does seem to know her stuff when it comes to sports. But knowing about sports does not mean she knows about weight loss.

The two are not the same. For example. I am a Social Psychologist. I conduct research on gender discrimination in the workplace and leadership. Saying a sports nutritionist can speak with authority and expertise on weight loss is like saying that I can start treating patients for depression.

LINE UP FOLKS! DOCTOR LIZ IS IN!!!

Holy ****! An intelligent comment. How did you get into this discussion?

(BTW Nancy Clark is a lot more than a nutritionist. She practically invented the field of sports nutrition. And she is an RD. Calling her a "nutritionist" is like calling a concert violinist a "fiddler").
  • kbeardmore22
    kbeardmore22 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    bump to read
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the post although I do not agree with parts. To each his own. In any event, thanks for the info and hope you don't get beat up too badly in here. If it's help one person on MFP in reaching their goals (even if it's just you), then bravo.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    AS A SCIENTIST....
    I'm going to have to agree with the masses that this all sounds like correlation and not causation.

BUT

I'm actually going to speak to her credentials. She's a sports nutritionist. SPORTS. Not a nutritionist who specializes in weight loss. She does seem to know her stuff when it comes to sports. But knowing about sports does not mean she knows about weight loss.

The two are not the same. For example. I am a Social Psychologist. I conduct research on gender discrimination in the workplace and leadership. Saying a sports nutritionist can speak with authority and expertise on weight loss is like saying that I can start treating patients for depression.

(BTW Nancy Clark is a lot more than a nutritionist. She practically invented the field of sports nutrition. And she is an RD. Calling her a "nutritionist" is like calling a concert violinist a "fiddler").

^^yep.

It makes me wonder how much misinterpretation/misunderstanding there was regarding context of some of the comments. (the meal timing one in particular).
  • jonnythan
    Options
    AS A SCIENTIST....

BUT

^^yep.

It makes me wonder how much misinterpretation/misunderstanding there was regarding context of some of the comments. (the meal timing one in particular).

Well in fairness I doubt that the OP's summarization is an accurate account of Nancy Clark's opinions.

If Nancy Clark indeed says "saving all your calories until dinner causes you to gain weight" then.... well.
  • fpskelly
    Options

(If I'm guessing, I suspect he will offer some untruths relevant to your field and ask if you would want them to go unchallenged on myscientistpal.com. That's the kind of parallel *I* would draw...

...if I wasn't so disheartened by the knowledge that actual scientists have no problem with untruths being allowed to stand unchallenged because they dare not cross over from a discussion to an argument.)

Science is full of untruths that are constantly being challenged. Scientist are often more wrong that right. A well written and properly researched article in a peer reviewed journal will almost certainly be proven as an untruth in the future. There is very little right or wrong and to imply that I am against challenging current scientific knowledge is wrong.
  • lizzardsm
    lizzardsm Posts: 271 Member
    Options

Physics.

Hey! Not true! I came from a lab where we openly argued about whether any given study was "good research." Part of my mentor's mission was to teach us to critically evaluate and criticize established research!
  • lizzardsm
    Options
    AS A SCIENTIST....

BUT

:flowerforyou:
  • lizzardsm
    Options

Science is full of untruths that are constantly being challenged. Scientist are often more wrong that right. A well written and properly researched article in a peer reviewed journal will almost certainly be proven as an untruth in the future. There is very little right or wrong and to imply that I am against challenging current scientific knowledge is wrong.

No.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    She gave me scientifically sound guidelines that tend to work and be sustainable for most people- based on research. But if you want to lose weight eating just Twinkies, I'm sure it can be done. Will most people fail to sustain that type of weightloss? Yup.

Incorrect.

The overwhelming majority of people do not sustain weight loss regardless of the method used, or the rate of loss. It's criminal to sell this nonsense to people and tell them that it's sustainable for "most people", when scores of millions of people have regained their weight back even after doing it the so called "right" and "healthy" way.
  • fitandfortyish
    fitandfortyish Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't it be more helpful to the OP to point out the tips that are valid and good and the parts that are generally not necessary?

None of the advice will exactly stall weight loss (she's not advising taking raspberry ketones or VLCDs here), it is just that some of it (such as eating breakfast or avoiding large dinners) isn't necessary. The advice about large dinners would be good advice for someone who doesn't count calories because it's likely to lead to a surplus. For people who track and count calories, they can eat all of their calories before bed and find success.

Regaining weight and percentages, while flawed, must necessarily be based on statistics. How many of the people on here recommend TDEE and not eating too great of a deficit? How is that advice different from what this nutritionist has given.

The progesterone issue probably doesn't come into play for most women. It might, however, for someone who is under medical care and needs extra calories to deal with shedding meconium, blood loss, iron depletion, etc.

The advice about eating when your hungry is something that applies to people who have been at it for a while and pay attention to their actual hunger cues. Intuitive eating doesn't seem to work for dieters, though.

The rest of her advice seems to be "learn moderation, don't lose too fast, strength train and step away from the scale and pick up the tape measure." Honestly, is that any different from the advice given here daily?

I could go into more detail, but TL; DR. It's not completely wasted advice, but some of it isn't necessary, either.

^^^^^this :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • jonnythan
    Options

No.

Yeah, this is kind of a stunning misunderstanding of the scientific process for someone who claims to have a PhD. Or, at least, worked on one. A lot of people who go into PhD programs don't succeed.

Anyway, good data is good data. It's generally not data itself that's wrong or "proven as an untruth." Interpretations and extrapolations of that data is often proven untrue. This is why it's good to generally ignore the discussion part of the article and focus on the methodology, mathematical analysis, and results. Solid data and analysis does not often get "proven untrue" or whatever.
  • fpskelly
    Options

No.

I agree!