What do you say to yourself during a hard workout?

Options

Replies

• Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    It's not pain, it's only discomfort.
  • rubyrenga
    rubyrenga Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Yours are great, OP. I gotta try the choo choo train! I tell myself to "DIG DEEP!" or "You got this," or I'll look at how much I have left and say, "That ain't ****!"
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I do the Daniel Bryan chant in my head.

YES!
    YES!
    YES!
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    If its tabatas " you can do anything for 30 sec." If its a plank or static squat " im on survivor and its all about the million dollars"
  • ALNoog
    ALNoog Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Part of why I am losing weight is because I am struggling with pcos and I have managed to get pregnant 3 times and have had 3 miscarriages.... I'm hoping that losing weight will keep me off of the the medication and put me on the right track to having a baby.... I am a newlywed and we want a baby so very badly....

So usually that's what goes through my head when I'm working out and feeling like giving up.
  • jgarrett731
    jgarrett731 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    After I finish a difficult workout I always tell myself how easy that was too. I always say “Hey! You did it! See? You can do this every night if you try! Doesn’t it feel good to have gotten that workout in?” lol
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I cuss myself out internally
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Usually it's just a string of curses and grunts but when I do get a word out it's "ALMOST THERE!" or "FORMAL!"

*Note: Formal is because I have a formal banquet coming at the end of April so I'm working my arms and abs so I can rock a smoking dress lol.

I usually use a single word for an event coming up that I want to push for and look good like "Formal", "Wedding" (that will be next, have a friends wedding in June), "Swimsuit", "Founders" (another formal dinner in November), "Birthday", "Christmas" ... and my favorite "REVENGE!" ( I have a nasty sister in law who gets down on me for being heavy and she recently put on a lot of weight so losing weight and looking good will really peeve her off, so... yeah!! Who says revenge can't be inspiration?!)
  • kckBxer396
    kckBxer396 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Well, depends if it's inside or outdoors. Lifting weights: "See that mirror? Yeah you really look like that. I think you need another set chubz." Then running: "Come on..you've got it. It will be over with in no time. Just pass that tree...now that sign...as soon as you're around the corner...too close to finished to quit...keep it going!"

Haha I guess I'm kind of mean to myself sometimes. :laugh:
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    2 more minutes...2 more minutes (when 2 minutes pass...) okay five more minutes, five more minutes....
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    "You're not gonna die from doing x more reps of y, so move it."

That and the fact that as a teenager I could do 50 hand stand push ups straight. You better believe I'm aiming to better that. First, however, it might help if I can hold a wall handstand for more than 20 seconds :wink: :laugh:

Oh and doing intervals... "It's one freaking minute. Move it" okay, so that's just a slight variation on the first... you get the picture :wink:
  • Mhgretsch
    Mhgretsch Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I've just gotten into jogging again and have actually progressed to where I can jog on the treadmill at about a 12 minute mile pace for almost 1/2 an hour...once I hit about halfway, I start telling myself that if I could make it through 12 hours of back labor and push out an 8.5 pound baby, I can do anything for another measly 15 minutes:laugh:
  • ayamagali
    ayamagali Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    A little embarrassed to admit this, but as I'm trudging my *kitten* up a hill and actually make it, I'm thinking, "POWERHOUSE!"!!! Not complete sentances, but I AM a powerhouse :) even at 1 mph (or whatever it is)
  • westendcurls
    westendcurls Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I cant believe I forgot my number one mantra!... You're here, might as well "Go hard or go home!" you ain't going home so GO HARDER!
    lots of harder just repeated and Yep still breathing, Irish showing (red face).. NOW HARDER (name)!!!

number 2; Come on, your body was made for this!!

( It helps that I just finished a crazy *kitten* workout and was paying attention to my self talk thanks to this thread.)
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    "Keep going, Vodka is calling you" or "I'm glad I bought that giant bottle of ibuprofen at CostCo"
  • saires_au
    saires_au Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    'keep going to the next ..... post/tree/street/rock'
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    on my last set..I always say, "you got this, one more, you got this, you can do it."
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    finish it-
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Nothing cause I cant breathe let alone inner monologue.
  • weightedfootsteps
    weightedfootsteps Posts: 4,349 Member
    Options
    A lot of times I catch myself counting..when I'm walking, jogging, or cycling. Or listening to music...when its getting hard...I just look at the machine or barbell or whatever is making it rough with my B*tch face and think..I got this! I'm going to finish! I always do...sometimes my weak left arm wants to give out and I give it a short 2 second or little more break and finish that set! I will not wimp out and not do the work. When I leave the gym it looks like I just jumped through the showers...but we have no showers...so I head home and jump in :) Other people that go to the gym are always amazed at the effort I put forth. My trainer loves bragging on me to the other patrons..how I'm one of the hardest working people there. How I will hit my goals because I don't give up.

My main thing..is not to focus on numbers right now...and that is hard when I am trying to lose 200 lbs. Although..I'm almost halfway there! :)