Eating out becomes scary

Options

Replies

• JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I normally feel pretty safe with the serving ounces listed in the menu...restaurants aren't going to give you a massive cut that's a lot bigger than the ounces listed. Meat is too expensive for them to do that. If you order an 8 oz. steak, log an 8 ounce steak. If you want some leeway, log it as 9 oz to be safe. I eat out at least once a week. It's only as scary as you make it.
  • Wingg_
    Wingg_ Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Eating out hasn't become scary. You have become obsessive.

Steak places almost always list the weight of the steak. 7oz. 9oz.
    Just ask how they make it. Lots of places can do it with just salt and pepper.

Maybe it's the fear of gaining back the weight that made me obsessive...
    I will check with them the weight of the steak. Thanks for the advice!
  • Wingg_
    Options
    Thank you for all the great advices! I guess I will just go for the dinner because I can't possibly not eat out for the rest of my life!

Yup, good attitude. Word of advice -- if the eatery has an online menu, it helps to pre-plan the meal to a certain extent. When eating out, it's generally not the calories in the entree that get you, it's the calories in the side dishes. Most places have healthy side dishes if you know what to ask for.

I have just pre-planned my meal, and of course I will opt for healthies sides like the garden veggie. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • I can not relate to being scared to go out to eat. It's all about planning ahead and portion control. Enjoy the damn steak, ask them to weigh it for it and quit being scared, because you'll be going out to eat your entire life from time to time
  • raventwo
    raventwo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have to disagree with those suggesting you take a cheat day or cheat meal. Only because for me, it has all to often led to me falling off my plan completely. I changed my life when I learned how to always be on plan, and in such a way as to still eat out fairly often, and enjoy, truly enjoy, my food, cooking etc.

I will research ahead of time, any restaurant we are going to - many, if you google the name of the restaurant with "nutrition menu" or "nutrition information", will have their menu items with the calories counts available. If they don't, I look at the entrees and choose ahead of time, one that looks easily workable for my plan.

I've found that ranch salad dressing, served on the side is usually 2 tablespoons, and I end up having half. The richest salad dressing I use at home is Litehouse brand where 2 tab. is 150 calories, so that is my guide. If I think I have the calories for dessert (and have decided to forgo sharing an appetizer, having a bun with my burger etc.) I may bring my own fav in the car - like a Bumblebee chai tea bar or a Kind dark chocolate nuts & sea salt bar - both under 250 calories.

I've had marvelous luck at Mexican restaurants who are wonderful about serving me an entrée without the beans or rice and instead giving me salad on the plate or grilled veggies.

Chicken is always a good bet when out, you can have a huge chicken breast (raw weight) for under 300 calories, and most menus do list the weight of the entrée (6 oz. steak, 8 oz. chicken breast etc.). Salmon is another good bet.

It can be scary, frustrating at first, but if you *want* to make figure out how to eat out, you can! It's all about finding out how to make it work, versus why it can't.

I've lost as of this morning over 154 lbs. doing this over the past almost 3 years (over 66 since coming to use mfp), and wanted to share what has been working for me.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Not at all. She's just trying to learn a new skill (maintenence) and it's a little scary for almost everyone at first.

OP, it's really common for unknowns like restaurant food to freak people out when you switch to maintenence. It's a different head space than when you're trying to lose, and it just takes practice. If you can look up the restaurant's menu beforehand, easy-peasy! If not, take a guess at what you're going to have and pre-log so you have a ballpark idea of the number of calories you have to play with the rest of the day. If you go over your maintenence calories for that day, so what? Eat a little less over then next couple of days, or work in a little more exercise.

Above all, go and enjoy your time with your family. Eat someting you enjoy, and relax.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I now find eating out is a scary thing to do. My parents want to bring my bro and I out for dinner but I feel scared because I don't know how much the prime ribeye steak I am going to eat weighs.. In a situation like this how do you overcome it? I've totally no idea how much the steak weighs and because of this I'm thinking of not going out to eat with them... So eating out has became a problem for me...

Seek professional help as avoiding social situations due to not knowing how much a portion of food weighs is not healthy thinking
  • meeulk
    meeulk Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    You can ask, but general rule of thumb is 4oz is about the size of the palm of your hand, 6oz is to first knuckle line and 8 oz is to second knuckle line.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are trading in the misery of being overweight and unfit for the misery of fanatically adhering to your food logging routine. If you can’t let it go altogether or just ballpark it for a meal (ask he waiter how much the steak weighs, enter the data, move on), you may be a little too obsessive about it.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    If it is becoming scary then you need to rethink a few things.
  • Wingg_
    Options
    I can not relate to being scared to go out to eat. It's all about planning ahead and portion control. Enjoy the damn steak, ask them to weigh it for it and quit being scared, because you'll be going out to eat your entire life from time to time

Now that I've read so many advices I know how to tackle the problem so I am not scared of eating out anymore. Thanks for the advice!
  • PolacaFL
    PolacaFL Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Part of our weight loss journey is learning how to deal with food. Eating as a family is part of life - a very nice part so please don't miss out. Pass on the starter - enjoy a sensible main course - if it's satisfying you won't want a dessert, but if you do, go for something simple. It's one day; up your exercise on the day and following day and you'll be fine.Have fun :drinker:

This plus check online for nutritional information.
  • Wingg_
    Options
    I have to disagree with those suggesting you take a cheat day or cheat meal. Only because for me, it has all to often led to me falling off my plan completely. I changed my life when I learned how to always be on plan, and in such a way as to still eat out fairly often, and enjoy, truly enjoy, my food, cooking etc.

I will research ahead of time, any restaurant we are going to - many, if you google the name of the restaurant with "nutrition menu" or "nutrition information", will have their menu items with the calories counts available. If they don't, I look at the entrees and choose ahead of time, one that looks easily workable for my plan.

I've found that ranch salad dressing, served on the side is usually 2 tablespoons, and I end up having half. The richest salad dressing I use at home is Litehouse brand where 2 tab. is 150 calories, so that is my guide. If I think I have the calories for dessert (and have decided to forgo sharing an appetizer, having a bun with my burger etc.) I may bring my own fav in the car - like a Bumblebee chai tea bar or a Kind dark chocolate nuts & sea salt bar - both under 250 calories.

I've had marvelous luck at Mexican restaurants who are wonderful about serving me an entrée without the beans or rice and instead giving me salad on the plate or grilled veggies.

Chicken is always a good bet when out, you can have a huge chicken breast (raw weight) for under 300 calories, and most menus do list the weight of the entrée (6 oz. steak, 8 oz. chicken breast etc.). Salmon is another good bet.

It can be scary, frustrating at first, but if you *want* to make figure out how to eat out, you can! It's all about finding out how to make it work, versus why it can't.

I've lost as of this morning over 154 lbs. doing this over the past almost 3 years (over 66 since coming to use mfp), and wanted to share what has been working for me.

Wow, thanks for all the useful strategies! I really do appreciate you sharing them with me! I've definitely learnt a lot from it!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options

this.

i eat out all the time and i have yet to experience FEAR.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

this.

i eat out all the time and i have yet to experience FEAR.

I don't get to as often as I'd like, but yeah, never been scared.
  • Wingg_
    Options
    Not at all. She's just trying to learn a new skill (maintenence) and it's a little scary for almost everyone at first.

OP, it's really common for unknowns like restaurant food to freak people out when you switch to maintenence. It's a different head space than when you're trying to lose, and it just takes practice. If you can look up the restaurant's menu beforehand, easy-peasy! If not, take a guess at what you're going to have and pre-log so you have a ballpark idea of the number of calories you have to play with the rest of the day. If you go over your maintenence calories for that day, so what? Eat a little less over then next couple of days, or work in a little more exercise.

Above all, go and enjoy your time with your family. Eat someting you enjoy, and relax.

I will usually have home cooked dinner and don't really eat out so I'm kind of new to eating out. But, now with all the suggestions given. I am not afraid anymore! Just as you've mentioned it's about learning a new skill~ Thanks for the help!
  • Wingg_
    Options
    Maybe using the word 'scared' is a little too strong, but I was just lost, not knowing what to do. But now that I've been given lots of useful advice. I don't see eating out as a problem anymore. Thanks for all the help! I really do appreciate them!
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Go out and enjoy yourself every once in a while!

As long as you are not going out every night and gorging you will be fine. I promise.
  • Wingg_
    Options
    Go out and enjoy yourself every once in a while!

As long as you are not going out every night and gorging you will be fine. I promise.

Thank you for the encouragement! I shall learn to relax and enjoy myself! (:
  • DapperKay
    DapperKay Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I used to have that fear when I started out - and it was difficult since I normally go out at least twice a week with friends to restaurants. Eventually you'll just get to an intuitive point where you can estimate what you are eating, to the nearest 100 or so and just work it from there based on whatever you are trying to do at the time.

HOWEVER, that is if you go out regularly. If its just a family thing every once a while, heck I would go and eat half the menu if I needed. Food with family is all about fun and relaxation - so indulge and enjoy then next day go back to doing your thing, who cares.

I went to visit the family recently for about 10 days, each day we went out either for food or dessert - didn't blink an eye. When I was back I hardly gained a thing - and picked up where I left off.