Eating much better and till ganing weight - HELP!?

Options

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Instead of getting wrapped up in the quantity and the calories, I would try changing the type of food you eat.
    Calories don’t equal calories, and in my opinion if you changed what you eat, just once a day you would have better results and feel fuller too.

You cant lose weight without significantly adding more fruit and veggies. ( not restaurant salads)
    The fact that you are considering `starvation mode` only tells me that the food you eat doesn’t meet your nutritional needs which is why you feel hungry sometimes ( I am just guessing ) Actually it happens all the time that we think its because we have expanded our stomach etc, but it’s because your brain is starving for more nutrition not quantity of food.
    I made a mistake before that I did not listen to the advice people gave me because `they didn’t know my body` and what they said was simple but not easy.

Trust the process. You can eat the same or less but eat quality food. Just once a day try and switch out your meal to something that has more veggies or is healthier. I see you like pasta dishes, they sell rice noodles in ready to eat at Walmart, i use that with sesame chicken homemade or frozen. NOT the best dish, but better then spaghetti. In subway they have the roasted chicken sandwich instead of the subs. Instead of chips eat a bag of apples.

They even have a book that’s called EAT THIS not THAT. It compares big restaurant chains food, so instead of their mozzarella sticks try their fried eggplant… This will help you make good choices even when you eat out.

Baby steps. I know you will get there.

Good luck!

I don't eat more fruit or veg than I used to. Your post is invalid.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Instead of getting wrapped up in the quantity and the calories, I would try changing the type of food you eat.
    Calories don’t equal calories, and in my opinion if you changed what you eat, just once a day you would have better results and feel fuller too.

You cant lose weight without significantly adding more fruit and veggies. ( not restaurant salads)
    The fact that you are considering `starvation mode` only tells me that the food you eat doesn’t meet your nutritional needs which is why you feel hungry sometimes ( I am just guessing ) Actually it happens all the time that we think its because we have expanded our stomach etc, but it’s because your brain is starving for more nutrition not quantity of food.
    I made a mistake before that I did not listen to the advice people gave me because `they didn’t know my body` and what they said was simple but not easy.

Trust the process. You can eat the same or less but eat quality food. Just once a day try and switch out your meal to something that has more veggies or is healthier. I see you like pasta dishes, they sell rice noodles in ready to eat at Walmart, i use that with sesame chicken homemade or frozen. NOT the best dish, but better then spaghetti. In subway they have the roasted chicken sandwich instead of the subs. Instead of chips eat a bag of apples.

They even have a book that’s called EAT THIS not THAT. It compares big restaurant chains food, so instead of their mozzarella sticks try their fried eggplant… This will help you make good choices even when you eat out.

Good luck!

A calorie is a calorie. It's a unit of measurement. Unless you're telling me a mile is a gallon?
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Regardless I a have gone from 4000-5000 calories a day (maybe more) to more like 2000-2500 -- that should result in weight loss. It's a calorie deficit - a big one.

Calorie deficit isn't based on what you used to eat. It's based on how much your body is burning and, if you are gaining weight, your body isn't burning as much as you are eating. It is actually a very simple equation, basic mathematics. Think of it like a bank account but a negative balance is a good thing. You want to put in (eat) less than you take out (burn).

As other posts point out, your guestimating has been off. You are eating more than you are burning.

"Eat less. Move more."

ETA:
    What do you drink? Any milk, creamer, soda, honey, juice?
    Do you use mayo, ketchup, dressing?
    Do you butter your bread or your baked potatoes, add Parmesan cheese to your spaghetti?
    All of these are easy to "forget" and add up quickly.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options

Good luck!

Total Balderdash
    A Calorie is a Calorie doesn't matter if you eat Mickey D's or a Vegan Diet from a loss standpoint (nutritional balance is a separate thing)
    From looking at your diary you need to be more accurate is a good guess (and I'm not the first to note it. Get a scale weigh everything - If you are making a meal either enter a recipe for it (I do this for things I make all the time) ot list every item . If the entries are accurate you are getting a lot of sodium but you don't log water- you need to drink a fair bit of water (the sodium levels you have will need even more to cope with it) divide your weight by 2 and drink that in ounces and log it
    Log everything because right now it is almost certain you are getting more calories than you think
    Deficit should be based on your TDEE so get that from one of these links subtract 500 claories to lose a pound a week to 1000 to lose 2 pounds a week. unless you are morbidly obese that is as much as you should target without a doctor involved

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

If you eat less than you burn I can guarantee you will lose but you need to track it accurately to do that
  • markja
    markja Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I think that you and I are in the same boat or at least,the same kind of boat. I also used to eat massive amounts of food and was up to 335 before I started trying to lose. I'm down to 316 but, I did it by always keeping under my max. That's where a deficit comes from. I'm eating a lot less and that's important. What's really important is that I'm eating less that what I'm using.

As a previous poster noted, "Eat less, move more."

My last weigh in was 319, today it's 316. I ate about 10,000 calories less than would be required to maintain 319 over the course of a week, that's about 1428 per day less therefore, I dropped 3 lbs. If I had eaten 3K calories daily for the past week, there would be no loss. If I had 2K calories daily, I might have lost something but not as much as I would have wanted to in order to reach my goal. Keep in mind that every pound I lose represents a 3500 calorie deficit. Last year at this time I probably had one of those 4000 cal days you mentioned however, it is irrelevant to today. As my middle son is fond of saying, That was then, this is now."

Look at it another way: When I was in the Air Force, I wore a uniform. I don't wear one now and, what I wore then has no bearing on what I wear now. I know this is a silly example but is serves to illustrate the point that when it comes to weight loss, every day is new.

Get your net calories down to about 1600 and you'll see results.

Best to you, you can beat this!
  • ashlando
    ashlando Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It's probably best if you prepare as many meals as possible vs. eating out. You just never know how things are prepared and the portion sizes are way bigger than any of us should be consuming.

When you make food at home, you know exactly what and how much is going into every meal and I guarantee you will see a difference within a week.

I used to to eat out every day for breakfast and lunch and then sometimes cook dinner and though I thought I was eating healthy, I never saw a change on the scale. It wasn't until my meals became trackable that I was able to see a steady decline in weight. It's an adjustment, but your body (and your wallet!) will thank you!
  • serindipte
    Options
    If eating out is unavoidable due to job/fiance/willpower.. Make better choices. Steamed veg, grilled protein, nix the sauces, butters and oils (not because they are inherently bad but because you can't control the quantities when eating out). If you add carbs, go with baked potato or wild rice and be careful of the portions. For me, that is where it is so easy to go over. I love me some carbs, really. I could live on carbs with a bit of meat but that isn't conducive to losing weight. Now, I focus on protein and veg and carbs truly are the side they were meant to be. (Disclaimer: In My Opinion)
  • agidavis
    agidavis Posts: 36 Member
    Options

Good luck!

I am guessing that the people that think my post is `invalid` or the calorie is a calorie didn’t think about the fact that actual `food` is a lot easier to count, and usually have less calories, and would help him feel full, and avoid underestimating.
    You will not find the one and only answer here but you will find the answers that worked for individual people. I can only tell you that when I eat 2000 calories of junk, and I eat 2000 calories of food me and my scale can tell the difference.
    He is not underestimating because he wants to. It’s because he may not know how much calorie is in restaurant food. Cleaner food will be easier to manage-your calculations will be a lot more accurate.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Good luck!

I am guessing that the people that think my post is `invalid` or the calorie is a calorie didn’t think about the fact that actual `food` is a lot easier to count, and usually have less calories, and would help him feel full, and avoid underestimating.
    You will not find the one and only answer here but you will find the answers that worked for individual people. I can only tell you that when I eat 2000 calories of junk, and I eat 2000 calories of food me and my scale can tell the difference.
    He is not underestimating because he wants to. It’s because he may not know how much calorie is in restaurant food. Cleaner food will be easier to manage-your calculations will be a lot more accurate.

What I told you it's possible to be accurate without eating clean and that people do it everyday? And that the comparison of 2000 calories of junk vs 2000 calories of 'clean' food is a pretty stupid one? And finally that any difference you notice on the scale in that goofy scenario is probably a result of increased carbs, sodium, and things like that , NOT actual fat gain/loss.

I repeat. Your post. Invalid.
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I eat out a LOT and I'm losing weight. I often eat at restaurants who have nutrition information online so I can track it. I order from the "550 and under" menu at Applebees for example.

Even if it doesn't have the nutrition info, I will look at the menu ahead of time and estimate. I choose something relatively easy to estimate, e.g., grilled chicken or fish with veggies. I've even emailed restaurants ahead of time to ask them how many ounces the chicken is. Restaurants are famous for using LOTS of butter when cooking, and that adds up.
  • serindipte
    Options
    I've even emailed restaurants ahead of time to ask them how many ounces the chicken is.

I'm not the only one who emails restaurants for nutritional info?? lol... I am currently boycotting Cane's (I love Cane's) because they are still "working on it" when it comes to posting their nutritional info. Same thing they told me a year ago when I contacted them. I could guess-timate, but I refuse when they could and should have their numbers up.

A couple weekends ago, I contacted a local restaurant to ask how many ounces the fish serving was.

It's your body. You are responsible for it.
  • sushisuzi2
    sushisuzi2 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    EveryBODY is different. I am almost 49 so what works for me won't work for anyone else.

Some people drop pounds by adding fruits and veggies alone! Some just have to pound water and they'll lose.
    One thing is for certain, portion control is KEY.

If I can't log in the exact item I'm eating from a restaurant, I really spend the time to get it as close as possible. If you DO have nutritional info from another restaurant, just try and order the same sort of thing there. Poor planning means poor results for me.

If you use a smartphone, use the scanner to add foods you can't find on here (shocking because they have sooo many). If you are at home, use the measuring cup!

But yeah, pad thai is one of the greasiest things ever, albeit wonderful.

Try for one day or two days and log in EXACTLY what you had for that day (restaurant or at home).
  • andyrh525
    Options
    Simply weigh your food and eat more home cooked meals.
  • MelisaBegins
    MelisaBegins Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Quoted from earlier comment: "A Calorie is a Calorie doesn't matter if you eat Mickey D's or a Vegan Diet from a loss standpoint (nutritional balance is a separate thing)"

I totally agree with this statement, especially after viewing so many food diaries on MFP of folks who are losing weight. Sure, you may not get to eat as much food in a day if you choose a lot of empty calories (i.e. a handful of french fries vs. a bag of carrots) but the actual calorie - the unit of energy - is exactly the same. I personally want ALL THE FOODS so I try to make calorie-smart decisions all day so that I can eat six times between when I wake up and when I go to bed, but it reminds me of the old riddle, "What is heavier, a pound of feathers or a pound of rocks?"

I definitely think you've come to the right place, and you are taking the first BIG STEP towards your goal by trying to sort all of this out, so good for you. You CAN do it!
  • judylutz
    judylutz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Try eating protein and fiber with every meal and snack. Best to eat protein first thing in the morning so that you won't feel hungry in the afternoon. You can boost your metabolism by lifting weights (or resistance exercise.) Stay away from dairy if you can - it slows metabolism.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I eat pure junk all day but in smaller calorie sections . 500 breakfast, 500 lunch & 500 dinner..... Maybe I'll have a candy bar & yogurt for breakfastm A Whopper no pickle& onion & no mayo dinner taco bell grilled stuffed burrito with cinnamon twists & a diet coke. Wa-la!!!:drinker:
  • judylutz
    judylutz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Um, your body doesn't recognize a calorie, it recognizes nutrition. We are made up of 70 - 100 trillion cells. They are duplicating every minute by the billions. In order to make a healthy new cell you need essential nutrients. When the nutrients are not provided the body will steal from within - protein by breaking down muscle, calcium by breaking down bone cells, etc. Healthy new cells help to flush out toxins, which are protected with a layer of fat and stored away from the major organs. And then there are hormones which dictate all chemical processes. It's not just about calories.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    So I used to eat fast food three times a day plus huge snacks (basically extra meals). Probably 4000+ calories a day. Normal day consisted of:
    Breakfast burrito + two donuts
    Candy bar
    Medium Italian sub + small BLT sub + cookie
    snack bars
    Two plates of spaghetti with 8 meatballs + salad with ranch
    Cookies or ice cream bar, candy

Now as you can see in my diary I have cut most of that out and cut way back to around 2000 calories per day. I do falter occasionally but not often and typically am right around my calorie goal.

HOWEVER I AM GAINING WEIGHT INSTEAD OF LOSING IT. Two questions:

1.) Is it better to eat a big breakfast to get metabolism going and smaller lunch and dinner?
    2.) What am I doing wrong?
    3.) Would it be worth getting tested to see if I have hyperthyroid or something that causing me to not lose weight?

Lots and lots of simple carbs, which could be at least partially replaced by complex carbs like vegetables and fruit. They are next to nonexistent in your diet. Also I suspect that your logging is off and that you eat more calories than you think. Two cups of Oreida Hashbrowns have more than 112 calories ( there are btw. more than a dozen of different hashbrowns by Oreida and you have to make sure that you are logging the right ones). Also, three Shrimp Rangoon have more than 210 calories. Also logging food as " a plate full " is almost never accurate. There is a lot of space for error in your food diary and I would guess that the error is not in your favor. I would start weighing my food, log it accurately and I am sure, you will see success !
    Good Luck !
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Um, your body doesn't recognize a calorie, it recognizes nutrition. We are made up of 70 - 100 trillion cells. They are duplicating every minute by the billions. In order to make a healthy new cell you need essential nutrients. When the nutrients are not provided the body will steal from within - protein by breaking down muscle, calcium by breaking down bone cells, etc. Healthy new cells help to flush out toxins, which are protected with a layer of fat and stored away from the major organs. And then there are hormones which dictate all chemical processes. It's not just about calories.

Um no. The body runs on calories. Cells are made primarily of proteins and fats BTW.

But your body burns around 2000 calories of energy a day. If you consume more calories than that from any source the body will store the extra calories as body mass.

But thanks for the impromptu and very misinformed biology lesson.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Try eating protein and fiber with every meal and snack. Best to eat protein first thing in the morning so that you won't feel hungry in the afternoon. You can boost your metabolism by lifting weights (or resistance exercise.) Stay away from dairy if you can - it slows metabolism.

OH! now i know why your advice is garbage. It must be how you hook people and get them to fall into the Isagenix pyramid scheme since you seem to be someone using it every day as your main source of "healthy foods".

Should probably make your diary private next time....