PLANT STRONG - ANYONE?

Options

Replies

• AmandaLY17
    AmandaLY17 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Couldn't care less what you do or do not eat. Doubt you will find someone who thinks that eating more plants is bad for you; However, you seem to be misunderstanding what "processed" means....

proc·ess 1 (prŏs′ĕs′, prō′sĕs′)
    n. pl. proc·ess·es (prŏs′ĕs′ĭz, prō′sĕs′-, prŏs′ĭ-sēz′, prō′sĭ-)
    1. A series of actions, changes, or functions bringing about a result: the process of digestion; the process of obtaining a driver's license.
    2. A series of operations performed in the making or treatment of a product

opposed to:

unprocessed - not altered from an original or natural state
    canned tomatos, or tomato paste is an altered form of a whole tomato picked off a plant (or tortilla or broth or......)

I realize often people use these terms in a more colloquial manner, it doesnt however change the meaning of the word
  • EmoJew
    EmoJew Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Where does Nescafe fall in the processed/food-like products debate then?!

It's coffee. Coffee grows from the ground. Any other brilliant questions?
    Surely you use roasted, ground coffee.
    Last time i checked they were both processes, so doesn't that make coffee a processed product?

The same goes for tinned tomatoes, they are cooked ( peeled, chopped) and canned. Canning is a process.
    Just like cutting up vegetables.
    How are you defining " processed food"

Dies frozen veggies count as processed?

Also for your response to where are you getting your protein from?
    You mentioned that you are getting lots of minerals and vitamins, but they arn't proteins. ( you didn't even mention hat you are getting all the essential amino acids needed to create proteins.

Plant Based diets aren't raw diets. Roasting, boiling, steaming, grilling, blending, freezing, etc. of things that grow from the ground don't make the item processed.

Processed foods are, for example: artificial sweeteners, soda, oils, white flour, anything that is "food-like" (sugary cereal, candy, mcdonalds), and to make it pretty straight-forward, if you can't pronounce the ingredient, don't eat the food.

I get my protein from beans, legumes, and plants that are rich in protein ie: broccoli. I've been short on the beans lately to fill up more on greens, but my protein levels are acceptable, and I feel friggen amazing for the first time ever!!

If you enjoy eating this way then good for you. I have tried out a few different diets and I just couldn't sustain them.

My only question is your definition of processed...

I looked up the ingredients for your veggie burger...how can an item with that many ingredients not be processed. Also notice that one ingredient listed is cheddar cheese made from the milk of a cow.

Gardenburger® Veggie Burgers – The Original Veggie Burger

Ingredients:
    COOKED BROWN RICE (LONG GRAIN BROWN RICE, WATER), BUTTON MUSHROOMS, ROLLED OATS, MOZZARELLA CHEESE (PASTEURIZED PART-SKIM MILK, CULTURES, SALT, ENZYMES), ONIONS, WATER, HYDRATED WHEAT BULGUR (WATER, BULGUR WHEAT), CRIMINI MUSHROOMS, SPICES, PORTABELLA MUSHROOMS, CHEDDAR CHEESE (PASTEURIZED MILK, SALT, ENZYMES, CULTURES, ANNATTO COLOR), CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF SALT, NATURAL FLAVORS,<b> MODIFIED VEGETABLE GUM,</b> GARLIC POWDER, YEAST EXTRACT, CITRIC ACID, WHEY, MALTED BARLEY, ANNATTO COLOR, MALTED BARLEY FLOUR, ONION POWDER, MUSHROOM POWDER, GUAR GUM, ANNATTO EXTRACT (COLOR), TURMERIC EXTRACT (COLOR), SOY LECITHIN.

MODIFIED VEGETABLE GUM,

Also, tomatoes don't grow in cans...
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Did you know that eating Cheetos is like eating an egg according to the documentary? Oh the horror!!!
    WTF are you talking about!?!? You obviously didn't watch the movie.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Did you know that eating Cheetos is like eating an egg according to the documentary? Oh the horror!!!

The cholesterol in the egg is just as bad as the processed Cheeto/oreo or sub any "processed Americanized food" here - is it not?. And hey, I like the concept of eating well for health - I really do. But I did not agree with the movie. We can agree to disagree :flowerforyou:
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    The idea is to eat a whole foods, plant-based diet. The marinara sauce is home-made, fully plant strong, nothing processed, I eat whole wheat pastas, and wheat flour, which is used for wheat bread, sour dough bread, and wheat tortillas. The corn tortillas are 100% corn. So yes, they are "legal" in the plant strong lifestyle. Being Plant Strong, essentially, is a vegan lifestyle minus the "junk".

When we talk about processed foods, we're referring to "food-like" products...convenience foods, if you will.

Happy Vegging!

Mara

Your diary on 3/11/14 - La Tortilla Factory, 100 Calorie Tortilla ingredients list: INGREDIENTS: WATER, WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR, CELLULOSE FIBER, WHEAT GLUTEN, RAISIN JUICE, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF THE FOLLOWING: GOLDEN FLAXSEED, CULTURED WHEAT (CULTURED WHEAT WITH ADDED VINEGAR), ALUMINUM FREE LEAVENING (SODIUM ACID PYROPHOSPHATE, SODIUM BICARBONATE, CORN STARCH, MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE), SEA SALT, VINEGAR, CALCIUM CARBONATE, GUAR GUM, DOUGH CONDITIONER (SODIUM STEAROYL LACTYLATE), XANTHAN GUM, TO MAINTAIN FRESHNESS (SORBIC ACID, CALCIUM PROPIONATE).

all natural.

Yes, wheat flour. And if you look at the Engine2 food line, you will see that with many items, a certain amount of preservatives is necessary. We all come from the convenience food era. The point is a WHOLE FOODS, PLANT BASED DIET.

Processed foods: artificial sweeteners, dairy, sugary cereals, hot dogs, white flour, white sugar, table salt, etc.
    Look into the documentaries before furthering your argument.

Is it such a problem that a person choose to get natural nutrients from plants and whole grains? I don't see why so many people are so annoyed with it.

I feel like a champ!!! Me and my talons!

uhm how about the 30 other ingredients listed?
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

The cholesterol in the egg is just as bad as the processed Cheeto/oreo or sub any "processed Americanized food" here - is it not?. And hey, I like the concept of eating well for health - I really do. But I did not agree with the movie. We can agree to disagree :flowerforyou:
    I didn't agree with the movie at first either; it went against everything i had ever been taught about meat being essential for protein and whatnot. But then i did a little more research and realized Esselstyn, McDougall, Barnard, Lisle and Campbell were on to something. I decided to try it for myself, and the rest is history.
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I thought eating Plant Strong would be difficult also, but I found a lot of great recipes on Pinterest to keep me busy and motivated.

Here's some info on Himalayan salt:

Packs a hearty 80+ minerals and elements- Himalayan salts are mineral packed crystals which formed naturally within the earth made up of 85.62% sodium chloride and 14.38% other trace minerals including: sulphate, magnesium, calcium, potassium, bicarbonate, bromide, borate, strontium, and fluoride (in descending order of quantity).

Because of these minerals Himalayan pink salt can:

Create an electrolyte Balance
    Increases hydration
    Regulate water content both inside and outside of cells
    Balance pH (alkaline/acidity) and help to reduce acid reflux
    Prevent muscle cramping
    Aid in proper metabolism functioning
    Strengthen bones
    Lower blood pressure
    Help the intestines absorb nutrients
    Prevent goiters
    Improve circulation
    Dissolve and eliminate sediment to remove toxins
    It is even said to support libido, reduce the signs of aging, and detoxify the body from heavy metals.

Care to show us some scientific support for these claims Some of them are quite outrageous
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Vegan thread of the week. Thanks for the entertainment........
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Wow! it sounds like eating a plant based diet is really working for you. I have been meaning to watch Forks Over Knives. I will have to make some time. Thanks for sharing!

The documentary will blow your mind.

Yes it will. Did you know that eating Cheetos is like eating an egg according to the documentary? Oh the horror!!!

I guess you didn't read my link although you suggested people do research. Here it is again for future reference to those considering the movie.

http://rawfoodsos.com/2011/09/22/forks-over-knives-is-the-science-legit-a-review-and-critique/#more-1487
    They don't want to read your link........it contradicts their "science" Looks like a higher correleation of heart disease with plant proteins
    Here is something very interesting left out of the China Study

"In my China Study critique last year, I pulled a bunch of data directly from “Diet, Life-style, and Mortality in China”—the same book Campbell and Chen are huddled around in that last picture—showing just how inconsistent the “plant-based diet is healthier” message really is. For instance, we’ve got peculiar things like this:

Plant protein has a correlation of 0.21 with heart disease (positive)
    Non-fish animal protein has a correlation of 0.01 with heart disease (neutral)
    Fish protein has a correlation of -0.11 with heart disease (inverse)
    Meat intake has a correlation of -0.28 with heart disease (strongly inverse)
    Fish intake has a correlation of -0.15 with heart disease (inverse)
    Egg intake has a correlation of -0.13 with heart disease (inverse)
    Wheat has a correlation of 0.67 with heart disease (really flippin’ high!)—which is not only the strongest association between any food and heart disease, but remained sky-high even when I tried adjusting for anything that might be confounding it.*"
    Yeah the correlation to disease with wheat consumption was interesting, not to mention, quite the opposite to meat consumption.........Hell, Campbell just forgot to mention it that's all.......why would he considering his bias. It's a cool story though for people that need to believe in something. Most vegans will block your response from their minds and pretend it doesn't exist, as opposed to someone that is a critical thinker and questions their beliefs........basically they'll just trip over this post, pick themselves up and carry on as if nothing has happened.
  • thatismesammyg
    thatismesammyg Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Canned tomatoes are processed, no matter what movie you watch. Tortillas are also processed. They don't grow out of the ground on tortilla stalks.

Since you're all "plant strong" I am curious as to how you feel about coconut oil.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Canned tomatoes are processed, no matter what movie you watch. Tortillas are also processed. They don't grow out of the ground on tortilla stalks.

Since you're all "plant strong" I am curious as to how you feel about coconut oil.

I'd buy a tortilla tree!!

From what I've seen/read, oil - cholesterol in general is the devil! And I'm sure they are eating "healthy, cholesterol-free" tortillas!! :laugh:
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options

When we talk about processed foods, we're referring to "food-like" products...convenience foods, if you will.

What is "food-like"? To me, canned tomato sauce is processed when I can make it from real tomatoes. Yes I googled the term and saw an article that gave Cool-Whip and Chez-Whiz as a reference as well as oreos.

Just curious.

Canned tomatoes is a processed food OP. Google. Not trying to call you out but correcting you and adding to your knowledge so now you can omit this processed food out your diet.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    So, "processed" now means "anything documentaries on Netflix told you not to eat?" Got it. That makes even less sense than the usual vague definitions tossed around here, but enjoy your powerful plants and keep on avoiding "foodlikes."
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    glad you're feeling good atm but i'd seriously consider getting some nuts or beans (or something else you can think of that 'grows from the ground') as your fat levels look dangerously low and i don't think you'll continue to feel great for long without it.

i'll leave the protein, others have mentioned it.

I've got enough left over fat reserves for now. I plan to add beans and legumes back into my diet after I lose the last 10 lbs. I will dive into my home made oil-free hummus at that time...cannot wait!

Bodyfat (or adipose tissue) is not the same as dietary fat. You really do need more fat - so have that hummus now.

Not arguing with your way of eating, I just think you should do some further research on minimum dietary fat requirements ( as I said before, yours look dangerously low) You should also research the proper balance of veg sources you need to get in all your essential amino acids (us omnivores are lucky, we get them all in the same place - you can still manage it, it's just a bit more of a juggle).
  • Sreneesa
    Options
    The idea is to eat a whole foods, plant-based diet. The marinara sauce is home-made, fully plant strong, nothing processed, I eat whole wheat pastas, and wheat flour, which is used for wheat bread, sour dough bread, and wheat tortillas. The corn tortillas are 100% corn. So yes, they are "legal" in the plant strong lifestyle. Being Plant Strong, essentially, is a vegan lifestyle minus the "junk".

Happy Vegging!

Mara

Your diary on 3/11/14 - La Tortilla Factory, 100 Calorie Tortilla ingredients list: INGREDIENTS: WATER, WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR, CELLULOSE FIBER, WHEAT GLUTEN, RAISIN JUICE, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF THE FOLLOWING: GOLDEN FLAXSEED, CULTURED WHEAT (CULTURED WHEAT WITH ADDED VINEGAR), ALUMINUM FREE LEAVENING (SODIUM ACID PYROPHOSPHATE, SODIUM BICARBONATE, CORN STARCH, MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE), SEA SALT, VINEGAR, CALCIUM CARBONATE, GUAR GUM, DOUGH CONDITIONER (SODIUM STEAROYL LACTYLATE), XANTHAN GUM, TO MAINTAIN FRESHNESS (SORBIC ACID, CALCIUM PROPIONATE).

all natural.

Yes, wheat flour. And if you look at the Engine2 food line, you will see that with many items, a certain amount of preservatives is necessary. We all come from the convenience food era. The point is a WHOLE FOODS, PLANT BASED DIET.

Processed foods: artificial sweeteners, dairy, sugary cereals, hot dogs, white flour, white sugar, table salt, etc.
    Look into the documentaries before furthering your argument.

Is it such a problem that a person choose to get natural nutrients from plants and whole grains? I don't see why so many people are so annoyed with it.

I feel like a champ!!! Me and my talons!

uhm how about the 30 other ingredients listed?

You would think you would do more research on something you feel so strongly about. You really didn't know tortillas are processed?

hmmmm.... Well I will say love your enthusiasm.
  • Sreneesa
    Options
    Is anyone here Plant Strong? What exactly is that, you ask?
    I'm guessing not you after all the contradictions in your diary pertaining to your OP concerning your statements about not eating processed food.

Not trying to be rude but if you are trying to educate people on something it is best to back up your declarations with facts and evidence.

Kinda the approach I took... haha. If you're going to preach, at least practice it yourself.

Here's where you'll find interesting brain food:
    (on Netflix)

Forks Over Knives
    Hungry For Change
    Food Matters
    Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead

These documentaries also have websites you can visit.

This Plant Strong lifestyle is about quality of life and health, eating as clean as possible to satisfy your body's un-evolved expectations (meaning, our body's have not changed since ancient times).

No thanks, I'm not interested in being brainwashed.

It's actually really interesting scientific stuff. This post is for those with the same interest.

I will say I did enjoy the those documentaries. :smile:
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

Because of these minerals Himalayan pink salt can:

Create an electrolyte Balance
    Increases hydration
    Regulate water content both inside and outside of cells
    Balance pH (alkaline/acidity) and help to reduce acid reflux
    Prevent muscle cramping
    Aid in proper metabolism functioning
    Strengthen bones
    Lower blood pressure
    Help the intestines absorb nutrients
    Prevent goiters
    Improve circulation
    Dissolve and eliminate sediment to remove toxins
    It is even said to support libido, reduce the signs of aging, and detoxify the body from heavy metals.

Care to show us some scientific support for these claims Some of them are quite outrageous

These aren't actually outrageous at all.

All these benefits come from the sodium that's in it. What I'd imagine is probably outrageous will be the price - I can get all this from sea, rock or table salt.

Oh, actually, the lowering blood pressure one sounds questionable - low sodium levels in the body can cause low blood pressure so not sure how salt can do that.

So overall, the claims seem sound, just maybe a bit pointless.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Is anyone here Plant Strong? What exactly is that, you ask?
    I'm guessing not you after all the contradictions in your diary pertaining to your OP concerning your statements about not eating processed food.

Not trying to be rude but if you are trying to educate people on something it is best to back up your declarations with facts and evidence.

Kinda the approach I took... haha. If you're going to preach, at least practice it yourself.

Here's where you'll find interesting brain food:
    (on Netflix)

Forks Over Knives
    Hungry For Change
    Food Matters
    Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead

These documentaries also have websites you can visit.

This Plant Strong lifestyle is about quality of life and health, eating as clean as possible to satisfy your body's un-evolved expectations (meaning, our body's have not changed since ancient times).

No thanks, I'm not interested in being brainwashed.

It's actually really interesting scientific stuff. This post is for those with the same interest.
    They use science for credibility and rightfully so, they're trying to prove a theory, make a point, and convince the audience that their doc is well researched. The problem is 2 fold. 1) the studies are selective and generally based on retrospective analysis and 2) the audience they're trying to reach will be ones that don't know very much or nothing at all about the scientific method........If it wasn't so blatantly so they may actually bring more people on board with the plant based diet, but there's just so much misinformation that you would have to be a believer to even consider such a lifestyle.
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Where does Nescafe fall in the processed/food-like products debate then?!

It's coffee. Coffee grows from the ground. Any other brilliant questions?
    Surely you use roasted, ground coffee.
    Last time i checked they were both processes, so doesn't that make coffee a processed product?

The same goes for tinned tomatoes, they are cooked ( peeled, chopped) and canned. Canning is a process.
    Just like cutting up vegetables.
    How are you defining " processed food"

Dies frozen veggies count as processed?

Also for your response to where are you getting your protein from?
    You mentioned that you are getting lots of minerals and vitamins, but they arn't proteins. ( you didn't even mention hat you are getting all the essential amino acids needed to create proteins.

Plant Based diets aren't raw diets. Roasting, boiling, steaming, grilling, blending, freezing, etc. of things that grow from the ground don't make the item processed.

Processed foods are, for example: artificial sweeteners, soda, oils, white flour, anything that is "food-like" (sugary cereal, candy, mcdonalds), and to make it pretty straight-forward, if you can't pronounce the ingredient, don't eat the food.

I get my protein from beans, legumes, and plants that are rich in protein ie: broccoli. I've been short on the beans lately to fill up more on greens, but my protein levels are acceptable, and I feel friggen amazing for the first time ever!!

100g of chicken = 21 grams of protein.
    100g of kidney beans = 9 grams of protein.
    100g of broccoli = 2.8 grams of protein.

Even for being relatively high in protein for a non-starchy vegetable, you will be hard pressed to meet your protein requirements through those types of sources alone. More than 5 heads of broccoli later, and I am still not getting to my daily requirement. I applaud your enthusiasm, but based on this and previous comments it seems that micro-nutrients seem to be taking precedence over macros when it comes to avoiding "mal-nutrition". Both are important.
  • FitterBody
    FitterBody Posts: 367 Member
    Options

100g of chicken = 21 grams of protein.
    100g of kidney beans = 9 grams of protein.
    100g of broccoli = 2.8 grams of protein.

Even for being relatively high in protein for a non-starchy vegetable, you will be hard pressed to meet your protein requirements through those types of sources alone. More than 5 heads of broccoli later, and I am still not getting to my daily requirement. I applaud your enthusiasm, but based on this and previous comments it seems that micro-nutrients seem to be taking precedence over macros when it comes to avoiding "mal-nutrition". Both are important.

Stats, damn stats! :laugh:

As many people here are concerned about calorie intakes would you, just out of interest, like to see a comparison of protein "per 100 calories" ?

100 Calories of Broccoli, frozen, chopped boiled = 11.1 grams of protein
    100 Calories of Kale, cooked = 6.8 grams of protein
    100 Calories Beef Short Loin, Porterhouse Steak, separable lean & fat, 1/8 “ fat, broiled = 8.0 grams of protein
    100 Calories Beef Short Loin, Porterhouse Steak, separable lean & fat, 1/4 “ fat, broiled = 6.5 grams of protein

Source: Data was obtained from Nutritionist Pro Nutritional Analysis Software, Version 4.7, Axxya Systems , Stafford TX, 2012.