Overweight daughter

Options

Replies

• OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 26, 287 lbs and about 5'7".

I think it is negligent to simply ignore this and "just wait for her to come around" at some point. Really, just wait it out? How has that worked out so far? When is mom supposed to get concerned? 335? 385? When she has hypertension,diabetes, or some other affliction crippling her? Great parenting.

She's 26 years old.
    She doesn't need to be parented anymore.
    She needs to grow the *kitten* up and deal with her own problems, which is hard to do if your mother is still babying and nagging you.
    You, sir, are (as Archer would say) a stupid idiot :3

And you miss, are 18. Come back when you're old enough to have the slightest idea what it might be like to be a parent.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

This is a valuable lesson to you.

Did the person call you a piece of **** mother?

No. That's what you took from the advice.

So when you tell your daughter, "honey you could stand to be a bit healthier" (or however you put it) she hears, "I'm disgusted by my fat daughter."

You have to let her make her own choices for herself. All you can do is love her unconditionally and be there to support her. That's it.
    +1

Patronising, unhelpful and not true.

Indeed. Mothers want their children to be healthy. Addressing weight from a health only perspective is the best approach, if it is to be done.
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Everyone makes their own decision to do this - you are ready when you are ready and not a moment sooner. By "getting on top of her" about this - you are likely putting her off because if she is afraid of failing you are adding pressure.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options

I think it is negligent to simply ignore this and "just wait for her to come around" at some point. Really, just wait it out? How has that worked out so far? When is mom supposed to get concerned? 335? 385? When she has hypertension,diabetes, or some other affliction crippling her? Great parenting.

She's 26 years old.
    She needs to grow the *kitten* up and deal with her own problems, which is hard to do if your mother is still babying and nagging you.

And you miss, are 18. Come back when you're old enough to have the slightest idea what it might be like to be a parent.

This is coming from someone who has been overweight since they were 13.
    And has experience with parents who reacted two different ways.
    I'm pretty sure that I know what I'm talking about when it comes to how her daughter might feel about this.
    Being a parent doesn't necessarily provide the know-how to address this situation, while having been an overweight child does.
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you should try to focus your concern on her being healthy as opposed to losing weight. I mean, not to sound harsh or anything but if someone was constantly telling me that I needed to lose weight it would break my heart. I think the best thing for you to do is have one final conversation and basically say listen, whether or not you want to lose weight is your prerogative however you need to find some healthier habits otherwise you are going to face obstacles like diabetes, depression, high blood pressure, cholesterol problems, heart problems, etc.

Focus on her HEALTH not her image. It may be the key to opening that door.

Actually, I disagree. My mother used to nag me to go exercise when I was a younger adult. "You should go walking, it'll make you healthy. Did you know that being overweight increases your risk of breast cancer and diabetes! I would hate for you to get those"

You know what it did? I didn't go to a doctor for about 8 years. "Well, I'm already fat, so I'm going to get diabetes. I might as well eat that hamburger because it's not going to make a difference and at least I'll be happy. The doctor will only tell me I have to lose weight too". It's CRUSHING when it feels like everyone around you is telling you that you need to lose weight. Like that's the only thing about me that people see.

My mom hasn't said a thing about my weight in about 4 years. And I'm FINALLY getting motivated to actually change. Not just diet, but actually CHANGE. She's had nothing to do with my decision. I've talked to her about things I'm finding out, and she's being supportive and even trying a few things with me. But seriously, it took about 4 years of not nagging and dropping (not so subtle) hints for me to feel comfortable talking to her about it again.

I can totally see your side of it. For me I was (and am at the moment) overweight. Looking back I wish I people wouldn't have focused on my image and more of my health. Seeing family overweight with diabetes, with high blood pressure, etc propelled me to get the reins on my situation. It did crush me when people commented on my weight and it still bothers me which is why I like to and now tend to focus on the effect a healthier lifestyle has on your insides as opposed to the effect a healthier lifestyle takes on your image. Everyone is beautiful as long as they are kind. Thank you for your view of it, it is a very sensitive subject to breech.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Adding my voice to all the I others here. No matter how nice you think you're being when you talk to her about her weight, you're hurting her feelings. Your efforts might even backfire. This could really damage your relationship with her.

So just BACK OFF. Don't say another word about her weight, her health, weight loss tips or tools, or anything like that. And don't make a point if cooking lie fat meals or whatever when she visits. Just cook however you normally would.

Just focus on the positive. Love her, let her know you're proud of her, and focus on your own health.

When she's ready, she'll come around. Maybe she'll ask you questions then, but until she does, keep your mouth shut. And if she never asks you questions, remember, that's fine, too. Weight loss is intensely personal and may not be something she wants to share with you.

Also remember that while she is your daughter and you may be very close, she is an adult and there are probably many things about her that you don't know which might be playing a role in her weight.
  • bornofthorns
    bornofthorns Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Granted, I am not a daughter, but as a severely up and down with my weight son, it was tough. I live in FL now, originally from MI, and used to hate going home for Thanksgiving because I didn't want to be judged. Then, out of the two times a year I see my parents, my mom would bring up her concerns. Here is the weird thing...I am grateful.

At the end of the day, there are objective truths. You are her mom. She is in an unhealthy situation. Your job is not to force her to do something, however, it is to make it clear (lovingly) that you are concerned about her health. It does not need to be a drawn out conversation, but it is good to let her know what is on your mind and heart. I think most of us on here have had a come-to-Jesus moment (or whatever you wanna call it) and have realized sometimes the truth sucks.

What finally broke through for me was the move from "fat" to "healthy" in the conversation. My mom wanted me to live a long time, she didn't want to bury me, she wanted me to see my grandkids. She was proud of the man I was, but afraid I wouldn't live to see my full potential. I am sure it is similar for you and your daughter. So, maybe it just starts with eating better, or walking further to the car (hell, my parents gave me 100 for every ten lbs so I could buy a new wardrobe) and see where it goes from there. Be loving, give her room, but don't be afraid to be a mom.
  • boredlimodriver
    boredlimodriver Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    very misleading username
  • MDChesler
    MDChesler Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Stop bothering her about it. It doesn't help, in fact you can believe it breaks her down and does allot more harm that good.

I am obese, my wife is obese. Her mother is always on her and brings her things like sugar substitutes and personal blenders and tells her "it's special for weight loss". My mother in law is about a dysfunctional as they come.

I have begun this journey. My wife has not, I have not said a word to her, I have not pressured her. I don't make her feel guilty about not joining me in weight loss. My wife has stated to me how proud she is of me, how much of a change she see's in me and I simply say thank you. Every now and then she joins me in the home gym I have put together. When she does I don't say a word, and after she is done.... I give her a smile and a high five as I continue on with my routine.

I know, She has to decide to make the life change, I can't make it for her and me putting pressure on her will only hurt her, hurt our marriage and drive a wedge between us.

Don't do that to your daughter
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    leave her alone her body is not your business she is a grown women

you have probably contributed to her feeling like massive **** about her self too btw ..so you really need to stop & be supportive of how and who she is NOW

she is okay and loved and perfect just the way she is good looorddd

I know that by asking for advice in a public forum that I should be prepared for the good and the bad, however this is a little harsh don't you think? Especially knowing none of the details about the kind of relationship I have with my daughter. You make it sound like I called her a fat pig to her face. I have NEVER told her she needs to lose weight. Thank you for making me feel like a piece of **** mother.

You don't have to say the words, "You need to lose weight" to tell someone you think they need to lose weight. From your OP:

"I have tried everything I can think of to encourage her to start this journey. When I was doing WW I actually got her to join. AND I am now trying to get her to join MFP. AND She lives in a different state then I do so it is really hard sometimes to get on top of her about this. "

It seems as though you are doing all the work. Where is the part where she's coming to you and asking for your help? Where is the part where she is taking any accountability for her own life choices and her own actions?

Until she is ready, you can't do a thing for her. Let it go, let her come to you when you succeed. Don't flaunt any success you have, don't tell her that she can do it too, don't say anything. Let her discover your success, decide she wants it for herself, then let her come to you on her own.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Wow, way to go guys, let's ream the woman out for being worried about her daughter. Good job there are so many experts in here.

And for the people that are describing her as 'perfect' and 'fine just the way she is' Get a grip. She's very overweight, and at risk of all the health problems come along with that. You can't understand why the woman feels the need to address that with her daughter?

What do you think her doctor should do when she goes? Should her Doctor just let her be too? I'm sure she'll be a regular before long....high blood pressure, blocked arteries, coronary heart disease.

Well done MFP. Another win.

You're commenting an awful lot without any helpful suggestions.

Everyone I've ever known who lost weight has done it when they decided to. Everyone I know who needs to lose weight has been encouraged by their family to be healthier, but it hasn't gotten them to actually do anything about it. Loving the people who matter to you and being there if they want help is really all any of us can do.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Granted, I am not a daughter, but as a severely up and down with my weight son, it was tough. I live in FL now, originally from MI, and used to hate going home for Thanksgiving because I didn't want to be judged. Then, out of the two times a year I see my parents, my mom would bring up her concerns. Here is the weird thing...I am grateful.

At the end of the day, there are objective truths. You are her mom. She is in an unhealthy situation. Your job is not to force her to do something, however, it is to make it clear (lovingly) that you are concerned about her health. It does not need to be a drawn out conversation, but it is good to let her know what is on your mind and heart. I think most of us on here have had a come-to-Jesus moment (or whatever you wanna call it) and have realized sometimes the truth sucks.

What finally broke through for me was the move from "fat" to "healthy" in the conversation. My mom wanted me to live a long time, she didn't want to bury me, she wanted me to see my grandkids. She was proud of the man I was, but afraid I wouldn't live to see my full potential. I am sure it is similar for you and your daughter. So, maybe it just starts with eating better, or walking further to the car (hell, my parents gave me 100 for every ten lbs so I could buy a new wardrobe) and see where it goes from there. Be loving, give her room, but don't be afraid to be a mom.

+1

Exactly. If they have a good relationship then her daughter will understand it's out of love and not some kind of 'disgust', which I know my own mother never felt about me even at my heaviest.
  • OllyReeves
    Options

This is a valuable lesson to you.

Did the person call you a piece of **** mother?

No. That's what you took from the advice.

So when you tell your daughter, "honey you could stand to be a bit healthier" (or however you put it) she hears, "I'm disgusted by my fat daughter."

You have to let her make her own choices for herself. All you can do is love her unconditionally and be there to support her. That's it.
    +1

Patronising, unhelpful and not true.

Well then please enlighten everyone, genius.

Someone's daughter doesn't want to lose weight. How do you think she should go about making her without demolishing her self esteem with a side helping of an eating disorder?

You're taking shots at everyone else for saying that she needs to back off, now why don't you post your brilliant idea for how to make someone else lose weight?

I don't have the answer any more than you do. This isn't about forcing her daughter to lose weight, It's about the responsibility that a parent (a good one) would feel to try and do something to make her daughter realise that she's killing herself. If her daughter was an alcoholic or a drug addict, would you be telling her to tiptoe around it then? What's the difference? She's killing herself.

Clearer?
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    leave her alone her body is not your business she is a grown women

you have probably contributed to her feeling like massive **** about her self too btw ..so you really need to stop & be supportive of how and who she is NOW

she is okay and loved and perfect just the way she is good looorddd

Your comments are so way off. Don't you think if you can't give an advice to the woman you should have probably just kept quite. I read a lot of concern of a mom for her daughter's health. I'm not saying being fat is ugly or not beautiful but let's face the facts. It comes with health problems. Aren't you vegan? Probably you could have shared your vegan experience to this lady rather than rambling.

Jus' my 2 cents.
  • OllyReeves
    Options

+1

Exactly. If they have a good relationship then her daughter will understand it's out of love and not some kind of 'disgust', which I know my own mother never felt about me even at my heaviest.

Common sense at last.
  • nancy10272004
    nancy10272004 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 26, 287 lbs and about 5'7". She knows she needs to lose weight to be healthy and yet does nothing about it. I have tried everything I can think of to encourage her to start this journey. When I was doing WW I actually got her to join. She lost about 15 lbs and then for whatever reason gave up on it. I am now trying to get her to join MFP. I keep hoping that by seeing my success she will realize that it can be done. She lives in a different state then I do so it is really hard sometimes to get on top of her about this. Especially without hurting her feelings. Any mothers out there in a similar situation? Or maybe some girls in her age group that could tell me what they would want to hear from their mothers.

Speaking as someone who has been through treatment for binge eating disorder, many of the women in my group had mothers or other influencers in their lives who were constantly at them to lose weight.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

She's 26 years old.

You look, think, and communicate like a child - spend some time out n the real world, get an informed opinion, and learn how to communicate muturely as an adult, and maybe people will take your opinion seriously. Now off you go, let the adults chat.