Overweight daughter

Options

Replies

• ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Seriously, she is an adult, let her figure it out on her own.
    As her parent, accept her the way she is, and let her know that you accept her. Do not try to change her. You are showing her in the best way possible, by getting healthier yourself. Setting the example for her.

As you have found out many of us have had very negative experiences from this exact situation with one or both of our parents. A life time (I am 62) of not measuring up to their expectations because of our weight, no matter how successful and responsible in every other facet of our lives.

A life time of resentment and feeling, no matter what I did, because of my weight, it was never good enough for my mom. That she favored my siblings over me. She has been gone since I was 42, and it still hurts.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    If the daughter didn't want to talk about weight with her mother, her mother wouldn't know how much she weighs. They're obviously having conversations about it. So with that...

OP, let her be the one to bring it up. Every time. If she asks for advice, give it. If she doesn't, don't. Talk with her like you would a good friend. (You'd never push a friend to lose weight, but you might share a delicious healthy recipe you found or a fun exercise video you tried. And I don't mean to actively seek out "helpful" stuff to tell her about--I mean just sharing your own experiences.)

My sisters and I don't live close, but we always do fitness challenges together and keep each other updated through email. Maybe if your daughter expresses an interest in losing weight during a conversation, you could suggest something like this? My family also always does something active when we get together for holidays, like roller skating, bowling, or we've talked about doing a turkey trot at Thanksgiving. We are genetically lazy :) so this is quite a feat! I'm just throwing it out there because I really do feel my entire family is supportive to each others' health, and these are some of the reasons why.
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 26, 287 lbs and about 5'7". She knows she needs to lose weight to be healthy and yet does nothing about it. I have tried everything I can think of to encourage her to start this journey. When I was doing WW I actually got her to join. She lost about 15 lbs and then for whatever reason gave up on it. I am now trying to get her to join MFP. I keep hoping that by seeing my success she will realize that it can be done. She lives in a different state then I do so it is really hard sometimes to get on top of her about this. Especially without hurting her feelings. Any mothers out there in a similar situation? Or maybe some girls in her age group that could tell me what they would want to hear from their mothers.
    WOW... this is exactly why I don't post in forums.... You people are forgetting that she is her MOTHER and was just asking to see if any other mother is going through this.... All she wants is the best for her daughter, who the hell wouldn't??? You lot make out that she has been pestering her daughter. All she said is that she "encouraged" her daughter to join MFP... Jeez, if my mum said that to me, I wouldn't have a breakdown, I would actually thank her for her advice.

She has stated that she's exhausted options by "trying everything". Her daughter left weight watchers. Now she's trying to get her to join this site. She knows this subject is hurting her adult daughters feelings and not trying to offend you but putting your success in your daughters face isn't going to validate your position. It doesn't matter if you wouldn't have a breakdown and take the advice as it appears evident that the daughter is all set with her mother's plan. She wants the best for her daughter and I see that, I can understand that. But a watched pot doesn't boil and her 26 year old daughter is an adult that's in another state and obviously doesn't want the help. You tried. Hang up the towel, give it a rest. When she wants to lose the weight MAYBE she will come to you. But from reading this thread and everything that everyone myself included has said to you, you are only listening to WHAT YOU WANT TO HEAR. Her weight isn't about you!

And what if you're daughter had joined without your knowledge and saw this thread? I can imagine it wouldn't be the most "encouraging" or "motivating".
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing... none of us know your daughter. None of us know the relationship that you and your daughter have. As an adult, I would assume that she could handle a sit down conversation with her mom.

To me, parents are tasked with the hardest task out there, which is balancing the line of taking care of a child and letting a child take their own path.

My own personal experience was one in which my parents conveyed that they were worried about my weight. They knew that it bothered me, they knew that I got teased at school for it, and wanted to know if I wanted to do something about it. I said no. I remember thinking that I was fine the way I was. However at home, the food didn't change. They still bought dessert, fried food, bought potato chips. We weren't an extremely active family and our eating habits were horrible.

I wish that rather than asking me, my parents would just changed the way we lived. I wish they would have gotten us more active, that they would have gotten us eating healthier foods. You learn from example, but their talk didn't match their walk and it was confusing. I'm now 27, and have finally started to want to lose weight. Not just for me, but for my future. My mom, every now and again, would pipe up that she was worried about me. Diabetes runs in our family, so she didn't want me to get sick when it was completely preventable. I understood that she loved me, but to say it didn't hurt is a lie. It's a tiny little pinch in my heart, but I knew it was in love. I don't resent my mom for bringing it up at all, I just wish that while I was little, there would have been more action and less talk.

From all of the responses that you've gathered, you just need to take them in mind and then think about your daughter. Does she complain that she's overweight? Is she receptive to suggestions and to general advice? You could even ask her to join MFP to help keep YOU accountable. Maybe she'd learn something along the way that would make her want to get fitter. You could throw out a family hiking trip/camping trip as a goal, if you're into that. Or ask her to do a 5k walk with you to honor XYZ. A good one is the Disney 5K.... because it's in Disney! And people dress up, and its so much fun! I can see that as a mother/daughter trip.

One thing, that I definitely suggest NOT doing... is telling her that she's fat. Or that she's overweight. Or obese. She could be completely happy where she's at, and if so, then you can say your piece and move on from there. But say it once, and then let it be. Let her know that you're there for her, and that you'll always love her.

Good luck, OP. It really is difficult ground to stand on.
  • Colli78
    Colli78 Posts: 135
    Options
    I was obese as a child growing up and my entire family tried to make me lose weight. My mom joined Jenny Craig and made me join. My grandparents would bribe me with trips over seas if I lost 100 pounds. They tried everything and tried to be encouraging and supportive and then tried outright honesty. The result? I developed a severe love/hate relationship with food. I started hiding food and was ashamed to tell my parents anything. It was really unhealthy on both of our parts.

The best advice I can give you is to leave her alone. I promise you that when she is ready, she will do something about it. But it won't be until then that she will actually be serious about it. She will have her own reasons for doing it and it will have nothing to do with you or what you have said. It's not like she doesn't know that you want her to be healthier and you want her to lose weight. It sounds like you have made that quite clear. Give her some room and stop making any sort of fuss about it and she will come around. Lord knows I did.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    WOW... this is exactly why I don't post in forums.... You people are forgetting that she is her MOTHER and was just asking to see if any other mother is going through this.... All she wants is the best for her daughter, who the hell wouldn't??? You lot make out that she has been pestering her daughter. All she said is that she "encouraged" her daughter to join MFP... Jeez, if my mum said that to me, I wouldn't have a breakdown, I would actually thank her for her advice.

Thank you!

of COURSE this is the response you appreciate and reply to.

consistent MFP is consistent.
  • chargraves
    chargraves Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I started this thread firmly in the “Say nothing. She is an adult. Anything you say will be hurtful.” camp. Then I thought about seeing my brother over the holidays and how much weight he had gained since I last saw him and how our family has an issue with heart problems. He has young children. I thought about how bad I would feel if something were to happen to him because of the weight and I kept quiet. But one of the things that I love best about him is that he never said one word to me about being overweight and I have been heavy since I was a child. So…I got nothing. The OP is in a no win situation.
  • Jeannieclark84
    Jeannieclark84 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 26, 287 lbs and about 5'7". She knows she needs to lose weight to be healthy and yet does nothing about it. I have tried everything I can think of to encourage her to start this journey. When I was doing WW I actually got her to join. She lost about 15 lbs and then for whatever reason gave up on it. I am now trying to get her to join MFP. I keep hoping that by seeing my success she will realize that it can be done. She lives in a different state then I do so it is really hard sometimes to get on top of her about this. Especially without hurting her feelings. Any mothers out there in a similar situation? Or maybe some girls in her age group that could tell me what they would want to hear from their mothers.

I am a daughter that needed to lose weight. My mom never nag but I knew she was not happy with my weight. It took me a while to hit the bottom where I said enough is enough. I tried WW and I did the same as your daughter. I lost 20 Lbs and just stopped. A lot boiled down to me being a poor college student and that was an easy excuse. About 1 year ago, I hit bottom, it took a good friend of mine to make me see what I looked like. I never took pictures but last April I did and when he showed me pictures from when he met me two years previously, I was horrified. It has been a long journey and really it is just beginning. She needs to decide this on her own. She has to want it herself not for other people.

When I did decide to lose the weight.. I bought a fitbit one (any activity tracker really). It really helps keep me motivated! Now my mom and I are both on MFP and love it. Good luck and she will come around just be supportive.
  • Shaky44
    Shaky44 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I started this thread firmly in the “Say nothing. She is an adult. Anything you say will be hurtful.” camp. Then I thought about seeing my brother over the holidays and how much weight he had gained since I last saw him and how our family has an issue with heart problems. He has young children. I thought about how bad I would feel if something were to happen to him because of the weight and I kept quiet. But one of the things that I love best about him is that he never said one word to me about being overweight and I have been heavy since I was a child. So…I got nothing. The OP is in a no win situation.
    What you don't want to do is set up a false choice: you can either say absolutely nothing or nag her until she succumbs. Should a mother in that situation say something? Sure. Should she bemoan the fact that she can't "say on top of her" because she lives in a different state? Uh, no. There is something in between. Obviously OP has had her say. Now the best thing she can do is be a good role model.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    As a mother I really feel for you. My suggestion is just to demonstrate your love and support for everything she does but not mention her weight at all. Just let her know that she is really valued as the person she is now (I am sure you do but kids, especially daughters will ignore all the positive messages and pick up on a small negative message). When she feels valued enough to deserve to be slimmer/healthier she will do it for herself. Set an example for her in your use of mfp but do not discuss it with her unless she asks.

I remember once saying to my pre-teen daughter, who was complaining about her looks/legs/weight etc, that she was fortunate that she was a beautiful person and a pretty girl and that, even though she may wish her ankles slimmer, she should be thankful her legs worked. From that day to this she accuses me of telling her she has fat ankles!! I learned the lesson.

You obviously adore your daughter - let her know it is for who she is now - she may be on the heavy side but I am sure you tell her all her good qualities - that's all you need to do. She has a mirror - she knows the rest

.:flowerforyou:

This made me laugh, because my daughter would have reacted the exact same way.

OP: save yourself and your daughter a lot of heartache, just let her get there on her own. When she is ready, she will do it. Not before. If she never does, then will you really have wanted to have spent all your time with her arguing over THAT?
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    FWIW my mother is thin and started nagging me about "you're going to get fat" bs even as a child. I was slender as a child. As a teen she would scream at me if I opened the refrigerator after walking home. So when I moved out, I got fat. I mean, her stuff was really abusive to me regarding weight.

I am NOT saying you're doing this, but if you talk to her at all about the weight issue I can guarantee you will have a negative result. She has to want to do this on her own. She has to come to you. Like most people say here, you need to leave her alone about it.

GL to you and to her as well. Pray that she DOES come here but NEVER SAY ANYTHING to her or push her in any way!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    She is 26, and unless she has a significant developmental disability I guarantee she A) knows she is obese and B) knows she should do something about that...but the actual change MUST come from her. No matter how badly you want it for her, it's in her hands.
  • DaniMarie180
    Options
    Sorry to tell you this, but it has to come from her, or it will never work.

Yes, I completely agree. You can't make someone want what you want for them.
  • DavidSTC
    DavidSTC Posts: 173 Member
    Options

Thank you!

of COURSE this is the response you appreciate and reply to.

consistent MFP is consistent.

Struck me too. I don't think she really wanted advice. She wanted someone to tell her she was right.

I really think you should listen to the advice given to go through the thread and count the replies agreeing with you and the ones not. It's pretty heavily lopsided.

Also take note of something else. The tiny handful of people saying "She's just concerned for her daughter, she should say something, I'd appreciate my mother if she ever did that" seem to NOT have mothers who got on them about their weight. So the only people condoning this plan never actually went through it. I still haven't read one post that said "My mother got on me about my weight and it was a big help and I thank her for it."

So you can look for advice from people who've been there, or you can just look for posts agreeing with you. One will help you to learn and grow, the other is the same as looking in a mirror and telling yourself how pretty and smart you are.

What struck me is that she was looking for caring advice, not people jumping to conclusions as to what she was saying to her daughter. Lots of projection going on in this thread, like in many threads on MFP.
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Let me just clarify something. I do not nag my daughter about her weight. I actually only talk to her about it once in awhile and usually only in the context of her asking about my weight loss. I can see where when I said "stay on top of her about it" it gave the impression that we talked about her weight constantly, so I apologize for that misconception.

I have read through each and every response and while I felt some of them were very harsh, I admit, I cried when I read some of them, they were eye opening.

Nobody on here has said anything that I did not know in my heart. I know she is going to have to do this for herself. I think I was just wanting to know what others have done in a similar situation.

Thank you everyone for your responses. The good, the bad and the ugly.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Did you actually post a picture of her with you as your profile picture? Did she give permission for that?
  • feliscatus84
    feliscatus84 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am the "overweight daughter" as well. It was stressed from a young age to exercise and eat right but it was hard with high calorie, low nutrient foods in the house because we didn't have a lot of money. Still, my mother would make me do Richard Simmons exercise tapes with her when I was 8 years old and I hated it. I also saw differences between my brother and I. My brother is overweight as well and nothing was usually said despite him having open heart surgery as an infant. I never had a healthy relationship with food or exercise growing up because of the issues my mother had with food and exercise. My mother is the worst yo-yo dieter ever.

Honestly OP these relationships people have with food come from somewhere. Trust me when I say she knows her size and it's something everyday she has to live with. There are enough negative things said about overweight people in the world. It can kill all your self worth in an instant.

I don't think it's about someone else making sure I stay accountable. That's like those people that hire personal trainers but lie about their diet. What's the point? It only works if I keep myself accountable for what I'm doing. I'm sure the OP is concerned but really you have to let her do it on her own time. When my mother finally said this past year that I will "just do it when I'm ready" it helped me a lot. I'm now 17lbs down because I AM finally ready.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Leave her alone. Seriously. Leave. Her. Alone. You have undoubtedly already said and done things that have hurt or angered her so deeply that she will never forget them. Stop. Stop now.

Letting her find her own way is the only way for (1) you to keep a relationship with her and (2) for her to lose weight. Just STOP.

This. All of this!