Protein Powder

Options

Replies

• Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    So really my question is. Is using a podwer as a suppliment ok, or recommended?
    Refining one macro-nutrient out of food, and then adding it back to other food is not a good idea. We know it's a bad idea when we do it with carbohydrates (sugar), and people are starting to realize it's a bad idea when we do it with fat (oils). It's only a matter of time before most people realize that doing it with protein is no better.
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    So really my question is. Is using a podwer as a suppliment ok, or recommended?

I have 1.5 scoops of unflavored...(which would be more appropriately called assflavored)...NOW Foods Whey Protein Isolate every day as part of my overall strategy to reach my protein target of 150-175g......so I'm probably a little biased in my answer of "yes, absolutely okay and recommended."

And dear god...don't smell the unflavored whey protein powder!! Makes for some funky milk, but I really do prefer that taste to the weirdly flavored ones (but that's just me).

I cheat and add a half serving of Hershey's syrup to the powder in a cup of milk and then chug it. I've tried it without the syrup with...uh...less than favorable results...because worse than just drinking that vile concoction is choking and blowing some of it out of your nose.

True unfortunate story.

That sounds....funny. Well, cuz it wasn't me. I use the half serving of Hershey's as a "treat" option sometimes, but I really do like my unflavored protein powder (just not the smell) in a cup of milk.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard Whey. Ballpark 120 cal for around 20g protein.

I second this one, although I have just bought a new one by CNP which is around 30g protein so we'll see what that's like.
  • TheSwoleMinister
    TheSwoleMinister Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    The most important thing to do first is make sure you are eating enough, period. Have you calculated your TDEE and BMR numbers? I come up with a TDEE of 2400 for you, and a BMR of 1964, these are NET numbers (they don’t include your workouts). If weight loss is the goal just find a calorie number that's below your TDEE (but not below your BMR) and then figure out what your protein goal should be from there. The ballpark range for protein should be somewhere between 20-35% of macro nutrients, assuming you are active (not sedentary). This would give you a range of 98g to 225g, which is pretty big. The point here is this: DON’T OVER THINK IT! You should be shooting for at least 700g of protein per week. If you don’t hit it, it’s gonna be alright. Really, it is.

Try finding ways to add protein rich foods as additional ingredients to meals (ex; chopped chicken breast to salads; a few slices of ham to your morning eggs, etc). Might even do a tuna sandwich a few times a week to help with this also. My belief is that weekly macro numbers are more important than daily, so it's OK to have a day where your protein intake is high compared to most other days.

I personally try to find protein rich snacks to add here and there. In between lunch and dinner for a quick snack I grab a handful of wheat thins with a stick of string cheese and a few slices of deli roast beef. Holds me over well until dinner.

And try to have 4-5 oz of salmon or another fish you like for dinner at least once a week. Just stick to the net calorie goal, allow yourself to eat back a good portion of the exercise calories you burn, don't go too crazy on the carbs, and you'll be rockin a 6-pack in no time my friend!! :bigsmile:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    There is no need to add protein unless you are a body builder.

lolololol
    and hurr
    durr
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Protein powder IS food.

It is made of whey, casein, egg whites, etc. It is food. Many are vitamin fortified. I'm old fashioned. I like Muscle Milk and Tru Nutrition (Trutein). Protein powder is a part of my daily plan, not just because I need protein, but because I get my chocolate fix this way. Add greek yogurt (Fage 0%) mixed with protein powder for breakfast or a snack.

I'm a woman who weighs less than half of what you do, and I aim for at least 120 grams a day. Most days I am between 140 and 170. I do this in a calorie count between 2000-2500 a day. (not trying to lose; this is maintenance). Make sure you are not eating too few calories. Don't try to lose too fast. How many calories are you eating in a day that you're having trouble hitting 70 grams? Are you weighing your food, especially meats and dry foods?
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of us use protein powder to supplement protein needs. I aim for 130 g as a bare minimum per day, which is about equal to 1 g per 1 LBM -- or short hand is 0.7 g per lb body weight. For your weight, you should be aiming for 150 g per day or so. This amount of protein has been shown to reduce lean body mass when in a caloric deficit (i.e. when losing weight, less is muscle is lost and more is fat). Heavy lifting has also shown to do this. So, combine the two and you've got a good fat loss strategy (though the scale will move more slowly when you're losing more fat as a lb of body fat releases 3500 kcals whereas a lb of muscle releases somewhere between 600 and 1500 cals -- so the more muscle you lose due to your deficit, the quicker the scale will go down -- but the body comp is worse).

I often have my extra protein with a 1/2 cup whole milk or whole chocolate milk (the latter if after a heavy lifting session as a recovery drinks -- want more easy to access carbs for glycogen store replenishment and protein to aid in muscle repair) and a little ice for more of a "shake". I'm also a big fan of ON Gold standard --- milk chocolate and vanilla ice cream are the two best flavors I've found. I'll also throw in a little cinnamon with the chocolate to have more of a mexican chocolate flavor. It's actually shockingly good.
  • chrisrandleman
    chrisrandleman Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of us use protein powder to supplement protein needs. I aim for 130 g as a bare minimum per day, which is about equal to 1 g per 1 LBM -- or short hand is 0.7 g per lb body weight. For your weight, you should be aiming for 150 g per day or so. This amount of protein has been shown to reduce lean body mass when in a caloric deficit (i.e. when losing weight, less is muscle is lost and more is fat). Heavy lifting has also shown to do this. So, combine the two and you've got a good fat loss strategy (though the scale will move more slowly when you're losing more fat as a lb of body fat releases 3500 kcals whereas a lb of muscle releases somewhere between 600 and 1500 cals -- so the more muscle you lose due to your deficit, the quicker the scale will go down -- but the body comp is worse).

I often have my extra protein with a 1/2 cup whole milk or whole chocolate milk (the latter if after a heavy lifting session as a recovery drinks -- want more easy to access carbs for glycogen store replenishment and protein to aid in muscle repair) and a little ice for more of a "shake". I'm also a big fan of ON Gold standard --- milk chocolate and vanilla ice cream are the two best flavors I've found. I'll also throw in a little cinnamon with the chocolate to have more of a mexican chocolate flavor. It's actually shockingly good.

I'm currently eating around 1500 calories a day and working out at about 300-400 calories a day
  • lindsey1979
    Options

I'm currently eating around 1500 calories a day and working out at about 300-400 calories a day

The cals seem very low to me. I'm 186 or so and I aim for around 1650-1750 per day, though I burn 2500-2600 altogether on average (that's including twice weekly heavy lifting sessions, twice weekly sprint sessions and walking/ hiking 15-25 miles per week). And of that 1650-1750, I aim for 130 g as a bare minimum (and average over that). The grams protein is based on bodyweight or lean body mass, not macro percentage.

I also restrict carbs and make up the rest in fat, so I generally end up somewhere around 15% carbs, 25-35% protein and 50-60% fat. However, I restrict carbs specifically due to insulin resistance issues -- if I weren't insulin resistant, I may eat more carbs.
  • chrisrandleman
    chrisrandleman Posts: 14 Member
    Options

The cals seem very low to me. I'm 186 or so and I aim for around 1650-1750 per day, though I burn 2500-2600 altogether on average (that's including twice weekly heavy lifting sessions, twice weekly sprint sessions and walking/ hiking 15-25 miles per week). And of that 1650-1750, I aim for 130 g as a bare minimum (and average over that). The grams protein is based on bodyweight or lean body mass, not macro percentage.

I also restrict carbs and make up the rest in fat, so I generally end up somewhere around 15% carbs, 25-35% protein and 50-60% fat. However, I restrict carbs specifically due to insulin resistance issues -- if I weren't insulin resistant, I may eat more carbs.

I'm trying to use the MFP calorie intake as a guide, so it says 1470 intake?
  • bryannakay
    bryannakay Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone who has given REAL useful help.

hahaha! This is what I was thinking.....this just proves you can't believe everybody!!!! My hints....

1. Chicken breasts are amazing if you get the right kind (without rib meat)....ton of protein and you can just eat it plain....or with blue cheese melted on it is AWESOME!! It adds another 10 grams of protein to it as well.

2. I use the Body Fortress Whey Protein powder because it doesn't have a lot of sugar in it and it tastes yummy. Try it for breakfast and have one as a late night snack to kick up the protein. There is 60 grams in 2 scoops.

3. If you want to see the pounds melt off faster, try to hit 227 grams of protein. 1 gram per pound that you weigh. Don't panic...you can do it!!!

4. I changed my macros manually in MFP to have less carbs. If you are having problems hitting your protein number of 70 then you are probably eating too many carbs. Protein will help keep that metabolism grooving. I weight 169 pounds and I aim for at least 150 grams of protein a day. I find that eating more protein and less carbs have helped the weight to come off faster. I changed my percentage to 40%protein, 30% fat, and 30% carbs.

Good luck :) and kick butt!
  • bryannakay
    bryannakay Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    OH....and search for "protein powder recipes" on here.....there are some amazing ones!
  • lindsey1979
    Options

I'm trying to use the MFP calorie intake as a guide, so it says 1470 intake?

Yeah, I don't use the MFP calculators. They don't work for my issues and goals.
  • Areneholmes
    Areneholmes Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I use Pure Protein bars, they're like 20g of protein each and are only like $1 each at Kroger. I eat a few of them each day snacking, and honestly I haven't upped my calorie intake any for it, I just am less hungry at meal times so I eat less then. It all works out in the end for me. I also use protein scoops, but mine aren't as protein intensive as others here- I'm still on my first container of Ensure and I use the scoops in my nutribullet green shakes to completely replace a meal. So I get 40g of protein per scoop.

I will say that I'm not trying to become a muscular person, just build a little and tone so I don't look skinny-fat. I find that I feel a lot better and get a lot more done with my workouts when I'm having protein supplements and vitamins. I see more improvements.
  • TheSwoleMinister
    TheSwoleMinister Posts: 70 Member
    Options

3. If you want to see the pounds melt off faster, try to hit 227 grams of protein. 1 gram per pound that you weigh. Don't panic...you can do it!!!

Good luck :) and kick butt!

I would caution against jumping from 70g to 200+ unless you build up to it over a few months. Your intestines will thank me.

• amyenman1
    amyenman1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I'm noticing after documenting calories in the past 3 weeks I'm ALWAYS deficient in protien. So my question is, Is powder protien a good alternative? I'd like to not EAT more food because I'm doing very well on the calories.

Edit: I do understand that the powder would contain calories.
    Thanks,
    hi is amyenman
  • amyenman1
    Options
    ok you no powder
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Have any of you ever read a text book, researched it? The recommended amounts of protein are ALWAYS in kilograms, not pounds.
  • amyenman1
    Options
    ok not protein powder
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    This thread has introduced me to the "Ignore user" command, located by clicking the down arrow next to a user's comment, under their picture. Awesome.

And to the OP: Protein powder is great, especially if you don't have much time. I eat about 60% of my cals in protein, because it makes me feel full, while carbs just make me hungry.

Every day starts with some ON protein, mixed with .5 cups milk and a banana.