1200 cals a day?!

Options

Replies

• The_1_Who_Knocks
    The_1_Who_Knocks Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    At one point my goal was to eat 1200 cals a day and I was constantly failing. When I failed I thought horrible things about myself and just spiraled out of control emotionally and benged on food. It was a neverending cycle. My husband pointed out that if I would set a more realistic goal, then I would succeed, feel better about myself and make more progress overall. He was right!

I definitely agree that the way to be successful at any lifestyle change is to not be miserable doing it.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    On days I don't exercise I don't have any problem staying below 1200 calories. I will eat 2/3 of a cup of oatmeal in the morning, which is 200 calories, then do a tuna salad with lettuce at lunch for 250 calories. Then i will eat 2 chicken breasts and some vegetables at dinner for 300 calories, and a half cup of frozen yogurt for 100 calories. I still have room for another serving of oatmeal at 200 calories and another 150 calories to spare.

If you eat healthy stuff all day, it isn't really that difficult to stay under 1200 calories.

Did bad today though, went to the Thai buffet and pigged out lol. Ate mostly vegetables and chicken though.

You are a man, you should not eat that little.

Maybe. But I've lost 90 pounds and I just had a full physical, and the Dr. says I am a helluva lot healthier than when I was fat.
    ...and you're gonna have an issue if you try to eat more than that from here out.

I kind of doubt it. If people paid attention to what I initially wrote I said I eat only 1200 calories on days I don't exercise. That is like one or two days a week. Most days I am eating 1500-1800 calories and walking 4-8 miles.
    Your initial response was happy about staying under 1200 calories on your off days. I kinda stopped reading right there. You've calculated your TDEE and BMR though, I'm sure.

I'm 90% sure you're netting too little... and would be willing to bet that you're under your BMR by a fair margin, but hey, good luck dude.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    On days I don't exercise I don't have any problem staying below 1200 calories. I will eat 2/3 of a cup of oatmeal in the morning, which is 200 calories, then do a tuna salad with lettuce at lunch for 250 calories. Then i will eat 2 chicken breasts and some vegetables at dinner for 300 calories, and a half cup of frozen yogurt for 100 calories. I still have room for another serving of oatmeal at 200 calories and another 150 calories to spare.

If you eat healthy stuff all day, it isn't really that difficult to stay under 1200 calories.

Did bad today though, went to the Thai buffet and pigged out lol. Ate mostly vegetables and chicken though.

Maybe. But I've lost 90 pounds and I just had a full physical, and the Dr. says I am a helluva lot healthier than when I was fat.

Dude is also in his 40's. Do I think it's healthy and that muscle mass is most likely being sacrificed, yes, but 1200 probably isn't as far off for him as others.

Myself, if I were under or at 1200 at lunchtime I'd be light headed...

When I get rid of this last 10 pounds of belly fat I'll start worrying about my muscle mass, but I'm not exactly wasting away at 185 and 5'11.

Dude, your BMR is 1800. I'd say you are pretty close to wasting if you have been eating 600 calories less than BMR.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 1412

You should be netting that at the least, then. So eating 2000+ if you're really burning 600 cals a workout. I recommend using Scoobys accurate calorie calculator. Your BMR is higher than mine, I don't burn nearly that in exercise, and I'm maintaining on 2600. Best of luck!
  • The_1_Who_Knocks
    Options

...and you're gonna have an issue if you try to eat more than that from here out.

I kind of doubt it. If people paid attention to what I initially wrote I said I eat only 1200 calories on days I don't exercise. That is like one or two days a week. Most days I am eating 1500-1800 calories and walking 4-8 miles.
    Your initial response was happy about staying under 1200 calories on your off days. I kinda stopped reading right there. You've calculated your TDEE and BMR though, I'm sure.

I'm 90% sure you're netting too little... and would be willing to bet that you're under your BMR by a fair margin, but hey, good luck dude.

Whatever I'm doing, it's been working pretty good for me.
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2". I lost my weight eating significantly more than 1200.

I don't understand why people would willingly eat so little.

Look, it was perfectly and totally right for you to eat more than 1200 calories a day. You lost 82 pounds! That is a whole lot (and jesus you can be proud, by the way) so you lost a whole lot by eating 1200+ calories.
    But what people seem to not understand is that NOT EVERYBODY HERE IS THE SAME.
    If you're let's say 135lbs and you want to be 125lbs and your body is really hard on losing weight, a 1200 calorie diet might be what it takes you in order to lose those pounds.

I think it depends more on your activity level. I'm 5'2 and I got down from 145 to 124 by eating between 1500 - 1800 calories, sometimes more depending on my workouts and I tend to not log all my food on the weekends. BTW, I have a desk job but I try to workout at least 4 times a week between 30 minutes to an hour.
  • eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I am n 1200 a day, some days it can be hard but most days it is just fine. And it encourages me to workout more so I can eat guilt free. Its works for me and I just find food that give me the most amount food for the least amount of calories like Subway veggie subs. They fill me up and not alot of calories.
  • easjer
    easjer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    After years of 'dieting', losing, regaining, repeat repeat repeat I finally realized that for the most part, I'm no longer going to do anything I can't do forever. Now, I will do a couple of Whole30 challenges a year, but that's to help me break cravings, and because a little challenge is fun. But outside of a whole30 challenge? I eat what I want to eat and fit it into my calorie goal for the day - which is above BMR and about 1000 calories less than TDEE as calculated by my fitbit.

I'm stressed out beyond belief at work right now, which is hardwired to be an 'eat all the things' time, and I'm mentally having a hard time staying at my BMR level. There is no way I could do 1200 calories per day, nor would I want to.

It was a hard adjustment to me to move to 1-2 lbs per week, instead of bigger losses, but I need to do this healthfully and in sustainably. 1200 is very likely too low and your expectations are very likely too high. I think both things should be adjusted.
  • The_1_Who_Knocks
    Options
    I think people got the wrong idea about me. I stay 1200 or lower one time a week or so, not every day. I was just making the point that it is fairly easy to to if you eat the right stuff.
  • mpls_heather
    Options
    I was on a 1350 calorie a day but the nutritionist at my gym said I wasn't eating enough and bumped me to 1500 a day and to eat five meals a day. He also bumped me to 2000 calories a day on weekends because I swim and burn about 1300 calories a time. I hate to say it, but on average I was rarely eating 1000 calories a day and felt weak and sick, now I am forcing myself to eat. Seek professional advice and get a menu plan. I have lost 20 pounds in two months by eating carbs and protein and working out almost everyday. Smaller, more frequent meals will help speed up your metabolism. Watch what you eat as well, all that boxed food is so over-processed. I buy organic as much as possible and items with very few ingredients.
  • trogalicious
    Options
    I think people got the wrong idea about me. I stay 1200 or lower one time a week or so, not every day. I was just making the point that it is fairly easy to to if you eat the right stuff.
    and our point is:

very.. VERY few people should have to. the 1200 calorie that MFP gives out is a flub in the system. I'm sorry you're not following.

I just logged my 770th day on this site today. I've been posting the following blurb for a while.
    here are some clues:

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. If you ask a question on the forum, give as much information as you can ("yes, I have a food scale and weigh my food" is worlds better than "I eat a palm full of miscellaneous boiled chicken parts..sometimes.")
    17. Be honest with yourself and honest with us.
    18. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

and make sure to read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

this could help.

I've bolded the important part so any future posters to this thread can see that there's a big bright light at the end of that godawful 1200 calorie tunnel that they get sucked into.

Feel free to take a look at those links yourself, it might help.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    applause.gif
  • missjeanlouise
    missjeanlouise Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    change your settings to .5lb or 1lb per month. welcome to the world of still eating and still losing.
    .5lb per month?! Way too low.....

Okay, starve then. Wear down your adrenal system from eating too little. Then when you get to your goal weight and resume eating "normally" again, gain it all back and then some. Welcome to the perpetual life long diet of misery.

QFT

Read it again. It says 0.5 lbs PER MONTH.

One can lose more than 0.125 lbs per week without wearing out the adrenal gland.
  • trogalicious
    Options
    change your settings to .5lb or 1lb per month. welcome to the world of still eating and still losing.
    .5lb per month?! Way too low.....

Okay, starve then. Wear down your adrenal system from eating too little. Then when you get to your goal weight and resume eating "normally" again, gain it all back and then some. Welcome to the perpetual life long diet of misery.

QFT

Read it again. It says 0.5 lbs PER MONTH.

One can lose more than 0.125 lbs per week without wearing out the adrenal gland.
    it was a typo. I even updated the original to match.
  • missjeanlouise
    missjeanlouise Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I know that. But it didn't update in the quote, So she was saying 0.5 lbs per month is too low, and people jumped all over her. Her response was to what she thought you wrote, and wasn't unreasonable. Other people responded as though she was being unreasonable.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

I agree with you. I"m not sure I'd call it easy per se, but if you kick out a lot of the nutrient deficient foods and grains, 1200 can be surprisingly satisfying when you're focusing on good proteins, veggies and good fats. It's difficult when you start adding in more of the high calorie but unsatisfying carbs, especially refined carbs and sweets (oh, how I wish it were the other way around!).
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    trogalicious --- hero
  • krennie8
    krennie8 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I did 1320 (which was more like 1400) for my first 4 weeks, and have since switched to closer to 1650 b/c I wasn't feeling well (whether due to low calorie or not, idk). So far going up doesn't seem to have hindered my weight loss. We'll see going forward.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    P.s. forgot to mention I'm 5'2"
    FML hate being small!

I am 5'2. I lose 0.5 lb/week weight eating 1900-2100 cal/day. I net around 1700 cal/day. I too started at 1200 cal per the MFP recommendation and then started reading more on these forums about TDEE. Went onto Scooby's calculator to find my TDEE, and then raised my goal to 1400, then 1500 and was losing a lb per week. When I got closer to goal and after getting a FitBit, I raised it again to ~ 1700 based on a 250 cal deficit from my daily burn. Just because you are petite doesn't mean you are doomed to eat 1200 calories.

If that is what works for you - lucky you, really! If I ate 2100 cals a day I would be definitely gaining weight even though I'm 5'7''. It's not really about height, it's about your starting weight and BODY. A 300lbs lady will lose weight on a 2000 cals diet, a 150lbs lady might need a little (or a lot) luck for losing 0.5lbs/week on that diet.

you don't math very well then. I weigh less than that, and can still lose eating more.
  • jac_84
    jac_84 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    if you are healthy (by blood tests) and you FEEL good then do what is best for your body
    some people can do 1200 or less or more. everybody is DIFFERENT.
    If you feel like you need to eat more then just do it.
    I find mfp was a good guideline to show what im putting into my mouth and seeing the actual calories.
    choose something realistic as a LIFE LONG lifestyle change.