Foam Rollers Yay or Nay?

Options
12346»

Replies

• mlh37214
    mlh37214 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    My (very experienced runner) husband's physio (specifically sports, not general NHS) told him to stop using them. She said most people don't know what they are doing and end up doing more harm than good.

Just to add an alternative opinion of them.

I would definitely recommend having someone show you how to use it, if you go with a foam roller. My chiropractor did for me, and I still had trouble on my own, and ultimately gave up. The Stick is awesome!! I like being able to adjust the amount of pressure and it's a whole lot easier to use!
  • mlh37214
    mlh37214 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all who are recommending a pre-workout session....I have never tried that, but have a lot of difficulty in morning races. My legs cramp like crazy for the first few miles (it's not dietary or lack of fluids, completely muscular as far as I and my chiro can tell). I'm going to have to look at rolling out my muscles before hand to get them warmed up!! All I've been doing so far is walking and if I get a couple of slow miles in before, I feel great, but I often don't have the time before an early morning race.
  • GeminiFitness1
    GeminiFitness1 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    For people who think the foam rollers are expensive you can substitute for a ball on the wall either tennis or softball. Also for people who do not want to get on the floor. A thercane is a great piece as well. When someone Iliotibial Band (IT) is annoyed it really puts pressure on that lateral thigh and pulls down behind the knee. Another thing you can do to save money is buy 2 liter bottle fill with water and freeze it. You have an instant bottle roller + cold.
  • sinrh
    sinrh Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    mine was $12...I find that very affordable...
  • DonttrythatwithME
    DonttrythatwithME Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    eat.sleep.roll.repeat
  • spally2
    spally2 Posts: 22
    Options
    a yay from me too. Will hurt like hell but my physio once says if it doesn't hurt you are not doing it right. Helped me loads when I injured my IBT last year
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    in for later
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I picked up one (orange w/ nubbies) at target ... started to figure out the thing, amazing how much this gets vs stretching
  • waskier
    waskier Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Thumbs up. BIG thumbs up. I use a roller bar (thin with handles on either side that you use to move it back and forth across sore muscles) after every run. I use my foam roller if I'm really sore.

Basically, it gets your fluids moving, relaxes tense muscles and aids recovery. Can't explain all of it, but it works!
  • Dalker
    Dalker Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Tried for the first time the other day. I was disappointed as I had no pain or discomfort and didn't feel like I was doing anything. Anyway I decided to give it another go yesterday and I must have figured out what I was doing wrong as I nearly cried!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    for those of you who are looking for something a little stiffer I just found this new toy the other day- I'm putting it on my wish list!

The Body Wrench

www.thebodywrench.com