1200 cals a day?!

Options

Replies

• The_1_Who_Knocks
    The_1_Who_Knocks Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I would do whatever works best for you!

Ding Ding Ding Ding.

Doing "whatever works best for you" to lose weight now can have unintended health consequences later on down the road. Which is what people are trying to educate you on. Right now the priority is lose this weight STAT, not caring about any consequences. Same reason people take other unhealthy measures like <insert fad very low cal diet or magic pill of the day here>.

shhh... this guy has it figured out already. We can give him the same advice later when he isn't happy with how things are going.

I've been losing weight for 14 months. I think if my metabolism was about to shut down it probably would have happened already.
  • 1HappyRedhead
    1HappyRedhead Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Hello....
    I'm on 1200 calories a day.... most of the time, I do just fine on it... I eat pretty much what I want, and have only done minimal walking so far for excersise. And I've been encouraged by the fact that if I even think I'm going over my calories, I put my walking shoes on. I've lost 15 lbs in about 4 1/2 weeks. I'm loving myfitnesspal.... :smile:
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options

Ding Ding Ding Ding.

Doing "whatever works best for you" to lose weight now can have unintended health consequences later on down the road. Which is what people are trying to educate you on. Right now the priority is lose this weight STAT, not caring about any consequences. Same reason people take other unhealthy measures like <insert fad very low cal diet or magic pill of the day here>.

shhh... this guy has it figured out already. We can give him the same advice later when he isn't happy with how things are going.

I've been losing weight for 14 months. I think if my metabolism was about to shut down it probably would have happened already.

Didn't you say you only net 1200 once or twice a week? I really don't think you are eating at 1200 then. I'm sure if you look at your weekly you are in a pretty decent spot. If I were you I wouldn't tell people you eat at 1200...you probably eat more like 1500.
  • mschicagocubs
    Options
    Hello....
    I'm on 1200 calories a day.... most of the time, I do just fine on it... I eat pretty much what I want, and have only done minimal walking so far for excersise. And I've been encouraged by the fact that if I even think I'm going over my calories, I put my walking shoes on. I've lost 15 lbs in about 4 1/2 weeks. I'm loving myfitnesspal.... :smile:

If you read the post at all you would realize that anyone can lose weight initially at 1200. But check back in, in July and tell me how your progress is going.
  • The_1_Who_Knocks
    Options

Ding Ding Ding Ding.

Didn't you say you only net 1200 once or twice a week? I really don't think you are eating at 1200 then. I'm sure if you look at your weekly you are in a pretty decent spot. If I were you I wouldn't tell people you eat at 1200...you probably eat more like 1500.

I never even said that.

I've just responded negatively to the lecturing nature of the people on the site.

Never said that I eat 1200 every day. Actually said the opposite a whole bunch of times.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

But this attitude that a lot of people have on here that they know what is right for everyone....that's just not reality. People have different goals and there are a lot of different healthy ways to get weight loss accomplished.

1200 is not right for most people, it is a default minimum. If this person were 5'0 and had 75+ pounds to lose, then I would not say don't eat 1200. For THIS OP, it is not reasonable, or necessary. And the goal should be not just accomplishing the weight loss but doing it in a HEALTHY way.
  • mschicagocubs
    Options

Ding Ding Ding Ding.

I never even said that.

I've just responded negatively to the lecturing nature of the people on the site.

Never said that I eat 1200 every day. Actually said the opposite a whole bunch of times.

I'm not attacking you! lol I think this thread is just bogus.
  • The_1_Who_Knocks
    Options

Ding Ding Ding Ding.

I never even said that.

LOL yeah I know.

My message in this thread was simple - eat healthy, you won't crave, and it will be easy to limit your calories.

I never endorsed ANY kind of calorie restriction. Just said if you eat healthy it is easy to stay under 1200 calories for ONE day if you need to.

I think my message was a pretty good and basic one, but somehow I got deemed the poster boy for unhealthy dieting in this thread, and I got all the lectures that came with it, so I kinda got an attitude lol.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options

Ding Ding Ding Ding.

I never even said that.

most 1200 calorie threads are.
  • dimplz1965
    dimplz1965 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Okay, I went to Scooby's site and this is what I got:
    BMR = 1617
    TDEE = 2506
    Daily calories = 2005

So, based on that I should be eating 2005 calories a day total. That is, if I wrote down all of my calories on a sheet, they should total 2005 and I should still lose 1 pound a week. (Yes, this includes 60 minutes of walking 3-5 times a week, but I do not add in those calories).

I think it is because I am freaking out at that many calories, but that may be the reason? I lost weight years ago using Weight Watchers and that was because we did points - never calories, so I don't even know how many calories I was eating with Weight Watchers. I had lost 70 pounds with WW and put back on 50, and now have 46 pounds of those to lose.

So, that makes sense? I know we are all individual, I think I just need to get it into my head that eating that many calories is okay. I knew when I first posted I was wrong with my BMR and TDEE. I should have checked my numbers first. I'm not really that dumb.....or am I? Ugh.

Thanks to any and all who want to help. If you want to send me a friend request, I'd be more than willing to accept. Thanks!

Laura
  • garbagedog
    Options
    It took me a few weeks, but I was able to reprogram my body into eating smaller portions at each meal. That, for me, has been key. My breakfast is usually some granola bars or greek yogurt and coffee. I'm usually around 200 calories for that. For snacks, I treat myself to a chocolate rice krispie treat (100 calories). For lunch, I try to do salad or all veggies twice a week. No matter what, I keep lunch under 500 calories. I usually eat a regular dinner (600-800 calories, depending on meal). Then, I exercise, burning between 300 and 600 calories a day. I do have cheat days, but I try to maintain my good eating habits anyway. It has taken a few months, but I have adapted to the lower calorie needs and change in diet. You just have to find your groove.
  • dimplz1965
    dimplz1965 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thanks much! 2000 calories a day it is with my 4-5 days a week of exercise burning 600 calories. I'm going to give it a shot.

Appreciate all the support and advice!

Laura

I know, it's not rocket science..............
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    BMR = 1617
    TDEE = 2506
    Daily calories = 2005

So, based on that I should be eating 2005 calories a day total. That is, if I wrote down all of my calories on a sheet, they should total 2005 and I should still lose 1 pound a week. (Yes, this includes 60 minutes of walking 3-5 times a week, but I do not add in those calories).

I think it is because I am freaking out at that many calories, but that may be the reason? I lost weight years ago using Weight Watchers and that was because we did points - never calories, so I don't even know how many calories I was eating with Weight Watchers. I had lost 70 pounds with WW and put back on 50, and now have 46 pounds of those to lose.

So, that makes sense? I know we are all individual, I think I just need to get it into my head that eating that many calories is okay. I knew when I first posted I was wrong with my BMR and TDEE. I should have checked my numbers first. I'm not really that dumb.....or am I? Ugh.

Thanks to any and all who want to help. If you want to send me a friend request, I'd be more than willing to accept. Thanks!

Laura

Sounds like a great *starting point* which is all these online calculators can give you. Use that number for 6-8 weeks...weigh and measure EVERYTHING...and monitor your results. If you like the direction and magnitude of your change at the end of the 6-8 weeks, keep using it. If you're losing too quickly...(yes, this is a thing)...then add a hundred calories or so. Too slowly? Then subtract a hundred calories or so. Then run another 6-8 week session at the new number.

The *secret* to a successful weight loss strategy IMHO is finding the biggest calorie number at which you make satisfactory progress. With that, you won't be overly hungry all the time, you'll have optimal energy, you're more likely to preserve LBM, and you'll just plain old feel better about, well, everything. Finding the smallest calorie number at which you can survive yields a different quality of life.

Best of luck.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    BMR = 1617
    TDEE = 2506
    Daily calories = 2005

Yes that's right, eat around 2,000 but don't eat more for exercise (unless you go run a marathon or do something way more vigorous than your normal routine.)

No, not dumb, it is just as you said, with Weight Watchers you didn't need to know those numbers. With MFP here, they do use the term BMR, but the setup is a bit confusing in that it allows you to input numbers that aren't necessarily appropriate or healthy, and too many people get the default minimum of 1200 (and the eating more for exercise confuses people too). So unless people read the forums or talk to people on their friends list, they may not ever get educated on these things.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    BMR = 1617
    TDEE = 2506
    Daily calories = 2005

Laura

Sounds like a great *starting point* which is all these online calculators can give you. Use that number for 6-8 weeks...weigh and measure EVERYTHING...and monitor your results. If you like the direction and magnitude of your change at the end of the 6-8 weeks, keep using it. If you're losing too quickly...(yes, this is a thing)...then add a hundred calories or so. Too slowly? Then subtract a hundred calories or so. Then run another 6-8 week session at the new number.

The *secret* to a successful weight loss strategy IMHO is finding the biggest calorie number at which you make satisfactory progress. With that, you won't be overly hungry all the time, you'll have optimal energy, you're more likely to preserve LBM, and you'll just plain old feel better about, well, everything. Finding the smallest calorie number at which you can survive yields a different quality of life.

Best of luck.

All of this too^^^^^^^^
  • Nixipop
    Nixipop Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have 1200 calories a day. I personally find that I could easily eat more but can perfectly manage on 1200! All just about getting a good balance with your 3 meals a day. I tend to have something like 2 crumpets for breakfast with a pint of water and then drink water/peppermint tea at work if I get peckish before lunch. For lunch I tend to have a bulky tuna or chicken salad and a banana afterwards. For dinner I just make sure I use up all my remaining calories before going to the gym! I also make sure I try and eat my food slower/chew more and it fills me up more. I don't burn a huge amount at the gym (2-300 cals when I go usually) as I don't think I have enough cals a day to burn much more. I think everyone has their own way of making it work but this is mine :) x
  • Hondo_Man
    Hondo_Man Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    If I can add my thoughts on this. While you read this, keep in mind that 30 years ago, I was 120kg! I dropped to 85kg and have been between 85 and 90kgs with between 10 and 12% BF, ever since. I understanding dieting and the frustrations of losing weight.

You need and must know your BMR and then your TDEE. This is not only for sports enthusiasts. Losing weight needs to be a slow(er) process. If you are eating too few calories per day to drop weight quickly, what do you imagine the end results will be? You've been hungry for 4 or 5 months, and now you want to "reward" yourself. You'll most likely eat a bit more than you should slowly, but before you know it, you'll be right back where you were. The yo-yo effect has begun. Personally, I want everyone to be happy, healthy and fit!

To quote Emma-Leigh's website, your BMR is the number of calories you need to need to consume to maintain your body if you were comatose (basically if you sat and did nothing all day - literally nothing!)

TDEE is based upon a number of factors and the Katch-McArdle method or formula is considered the most up-to-date and accurate. Once you know your TDEE, you can easily subtract a percentage (15% for example) to loose weight.

So, if your TDEE is 1700, why not try eating 1500kcal per day rather than the painful 1200? While it will be slightly slower to lose the weight, keeping it off will be much easier. Why? Referring back to the second paragraph, above. While those 4 or 5 months might mean 5 or 6 with 1500 kcal, you are less likely to want to jump off the wagon and binge eat. When you're eating only a fewer amount of calories versus a lot fewer, it's more comfortable and less work. Once you hit your desired weight, slowly increase your calories back to your TDEE and keep it there. Plus going from 1200 back to 1700 is a huge increase.

Since I am lifting weights, my TDEE is 3100kcal per day. When I want to cut down, I don't drop to 2500 or 2300, I'll go down to 2800 for three weeks then 2600 for three weeks, then slowly back up. It truly is easier and much more comfortable.

I hope this helps with some frustration some are encountering.
  • ToraChan2310
    Options
    I am, but like you it is only possible because I also eat some of my exercise calories. It is certainly not a lot of food.

TommyJensen - a male should never eat below 1600 calories a day.

Why is that? I exercise twice a day (weight lifting in the morning and jogging in the evening) and eat 1200-1300 a day with no problem.

I'm 200lb, 5'9, 23 year old male. I'm tired of being fat.
  • ChilliRed
    ChilliRed Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    MFP has calculated 1200 calories per day for me. I am okay with it on the days that i exercise because I eat back some of the calories earnt but on any rest days I must admit I do struggle. I dont really have enough calories left to have a decent meal this evening, and I like to eat plenty of fruit so I will go out for a good walk later to earn some more calories. I am going to have to look into this BMR and TDEE that everyone is talking about, not sure how to work it out will probably try good old Google :smile:
  • ladyu
    ladyu Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I love It!