Weight vs Size

Options

Replies

• cassielynn217
    Options
    Right now I weigh 130 and I can comfortably wear a size 7. I'm small and (normally) petite and my height is 5'0. However, even when I was smaller (105 lbs), the smallest pant size I could fit into was a 5, and that was really pushing it. Like you, I have very wide hips and a big bottom. Luckily most of my fat sits in my legs and butt so even with the amount of weight I've gained, it's not too noticeable around my waist.

I have a very obvious pear shape. :) For tops I usually wear xsmall-small, and my bra band measures 28 inches, and nobody ever carries bras that go that small! Especially because my breasts aren't itty bitty, so my bras tend to have to be custom fitted otherwise they are too big around the band and too small around the breast. :(

But big bottomed girls rock!
  • bb4886
    bb4886 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I have to say how much better i feel in myself for having read all your comments, im constantly being told i look ok but because the scales say im 'over weight' and my bmi is high because of this i get obsessed with dieting and its depressing.............its good to know im not the only one that can weigh heavy yet look good for it :)

I think im going to concerntrate on my size - toning up and trying to loose a few cm and hope that the weight follows :)

Keep up the hard work everyone :)
  • bumblebeez86
    bumblebeez86 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    5'4'' Heaviest weight 156.4lb in size 14 but they were a bit tight near the end. Started 1/1/14 again at 149.4 size 14. 136lb atm and wearing a size 12 now (aim is size 10)
  • bb4886
    bb4886 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Right now I weigh 130 and I can comfortably wear a size 7. I'm small and (normally) petite and my height is 5'0. However, even when I was smaller (105 lbs), the smallest pant size I could fit into was a 5, and that was really pushing it. Like you, I have very wide hips and a big bottom. Luckily most of my fat sits in my legs and butt so even with the amount of weight I've gained, it's not too noticeable around my waist.

I have a very obvious pear shape. :) For tops I usually wear xsmall-small, and my bra band measures 28 inches, and nobody ever carries bras that go that small! Especially because my breasts aren't itty bitty, so my bras tend to have to be custom fitted otherwise they are too big around the band and too small around the breast. :(

But big bottomed girls rock!

We do indeed - i used to hate it but not i think me personally id rather have a shape and curves than not - although i still want to get back to my former size 10
  • hillarayray
    Options
    I'm 5'3"

When I was my heaviest (back in high school before I joined MFP), I was 170 at a size 12/13, I am currently now 140 at a size 6 roughly.
  • _shannon92
    _shannon92 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"4, 131lbs and I generally wear a size 6-8.

My heaviest was about 161, and I was wearing a size 10.
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    This is very interesting to me. I get frustrated because I know what the scale says but that doesn't match my clothing size.

I am 5'5" and I weigh 207, but I wear some size 14 jeans and some 16's. I don't have a goal weight, but I want to get to a comfortable size 10. A few years ago, I was 170 and wore a 12, but also wore the same 14's I'm in now.
  • SharonCMach
    SharonCMach Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Im 5'5" too, my body shape is an inverted triangle. So my shoulders are broad, which I HATE, and my hips are very small. I tend to carry weight in my stomach & arms.

My largest weight was 178 & I was in a size 12.
    Current weight is 105 & im in a size 0.
  • kragusa38
    kragusa38 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This is very interesting to me. I get frustrated because I know what the scale says but that doesn't match my clothing size.

I am 5'5" and I weigh 207, but I wear some size 14 jeans and some 16's. I don't have a goal weight, but I want to get to a comfortable size 10. A few years ago, I was 170 and wore a 12, but also wore the same 14's I'm in now.

Vanity sizes are not what they were over a decade ago. I have a pair of express jeans that I wore (yes I'm dating myself) over a decade ago an are size 13/14. I fit in them now but have a bit of muffin top so I cannot wear them comfortably. It comparable to a size 10 or 12 in todays sizes depending on the brand. I'm wearing current size L from express, yet some XL work shirts from banana republic/gap that are a over a decade are tight. /shrug
  • rachaelwebsterr
    Options
    im 5'6.5 and 165-168 in a size 12 and i feel like i can never lose pant sizes its so frustrating
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    5'6", 178lbs, 12's are getting big and squeezing into a few 10s now.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

Vanity sizes are not what they were over a decade ago. I have a pair of express jeans that I wore (yes I'm dating myself) over a decade ago an are size 13/14. I fit in them now but have a bit of muffin top so I cannot wear them comfortably. It comparable to a size 10 or 12 in todays sizes depending on the brand. I'm wearing current size L from express, yet some XL work shirts from banana republic/gap that are a over a decade are tight. /shrug

Yep. I'm a man, but vanity sizing is rampant in our clothing too. I kept a couple pair of jeans from back in the late 90s. I use them as my measuring points, as my goal is to go lighter than I was at my lightest weight back in my late teens. They are size 36 Gap and Ralph Lauren jeans, but they would be sold today in many stores as a size 33/34. The only way I can even get a nice, non-baggy fitting pair of 36s today is to buy them in the skinny jean variety. Otherwise today's size 36 swallows yesterday's 36.
  • ejbraun
    ejbraun Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7'', started 3 years ago at 307lbs and a size 24, 3x top. Currently down to 192lbs and 12/14 pant, Large Top. My thighs and butt are going to be the death of me, I would be estatic if I ever see a size 10 pant :D
  • easjer
    easjer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9", and started out at a 28/30 (though let's be honest - 30). I'm currently down 40 lbs and depending on manufacturer/material anywhere from a 22 to a 26, though the 26's are finally starting to be too big. Losing weight on my hips last, but it's finally, finally budging. Clothes are fitting me very oddly because I don't lose weight uniformly. I honestly wear a lot of XXL maternity to fit my stomach/hips and my chest. Sigh. But if I keep this up, eventually I'll be down into regular store sizes and that'll be an exciting day.
  • cookiekrunch
    cookiekrunch Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7" and currently weigh 195 lbs. My starting weight was 260 lbs and I was in a 2X / 20W. I currently wear a size 14 jeans/pants, but a 16 or 18 / XL top. I am very top heavy even after losing 65 lbs. The boobies deflated a little but they are still there.
  • DancingJester
    DancingJester Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I vary in size a bit but I'm 137 and my measurements are 35 26 36 (I'm also 5'7ft)
  • jchadden42
    jchadden42 Posts: 189
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and weigh 125 lbs. I wear a size 2 jeans because of my legs--I'm a runner and swimmer, but the waist is usually too big.
  • Mich4871
    Mich4871 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1' - 147lbs.

When I started I was about 210 - Size 18

Now - Size 6 or 8 depending on the brand. Tops are a size small or medium, again depending on brand and style.

Interesting to me, is that 20 years ago, when I was the same weight, I was wearing a snug size 14.
  • fitkatb
    fitkatb Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6, 157 lbs and I'm on the small side of 10. Jeans are a little loose, but not enough to go size 8. I have one pair that ARE size 8 and fit but it's because they are a roomy cut. At my biggest, I was 223 and I'll say size 16 but at some point I just started wearing my husband's clothes instead of buying anything bigger, so who knows really?!?
  • raevyn07
    raevyn07 Posts: 8
    Options
    I've always been more concerned about size over weight. I'm 5'3.5", currently weigh 267. When I graduated high school, I weighed 155 (at 5'4" tall), but wore a size 9/10. My current goal is to get back down into the 'teens out of the 20's sizes. Long term goal is to get to around 160, which should put me into a 12 or 14. Because of my DDD bust, wide hips, and thunder thighs (which I had even wearing size 9/10), I'm not ever going to be smaller than a 12, at best, and I'm fine with that.