News - woman asked to cover her toned body in the gym?

Options
pmur
pmur Posts: 223 Member
I dont know what to make out of this news item. Most often I'm trying to cover up because I'm not yet happy in my own skin and here is someone who is comfortable in her own body and now she needs to cover up because she is intimidating others. Apparently that's the gym's policy, to not intimidate people.

http://www.cnn.com/video/standard.html?/video/us/2014/03/19/dnt-woman-asked-cover-up-at-gym.ktvu&hpt=hp_c3&from_homepage=yes&video_referrer=http://www.cnn.com/

http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/national/gym-tells-woman-shes-intimidating-guests-toned-bod/nfGWc/

Replies

• jdb3388
    jdb3388 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    This is ridiculous.
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I just knew, even before clicking the link, that it would be at a Planet Fitness. **rolls eyes**
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    That was one of the more appropriate gym outfits I've seen o-O She wasn't even wearing booty shorts. I mean. Come on.
  • cnhamilton12
    cnhamilton12 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I kind of agree with the gym. I belong to a gym where there is a lot of extremely fit people and it does kind of intimidate you when I see a woman walking around in a sports bra and I've been on the treadmill for ten minutes sweating like a pig. They advertise that they are a gym without "stereotypes" and they have a fan base because of that reason. They have to stick to their advertising or they will be like all the other gyms. I believe it's just from a business standpoint.
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Read the last comment in the last few seconds.

Planet Fitness has a dress code.

You don't like it or don't want to abide by it?

Don't join a Planet Fitness.

While I don't agree with the dress code, its not our call to make.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I had to check the date to see if it's not April 1st - this seems like a joke. Too fit and walking on the treadmill is intimidating? An alarm that goes off if someone drops a weight or breathes too hard??

Sounds like the members and employees of that gym need to lighten up (no pun intended).
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Can I tell all the sweaty guys with no shirts on at my gym to cover up?

Mainly cuz they don't know how to wipe off the equipment when they are done.

Yuck :-p
  • JenToms80
    JenToms80 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I saw this as well, crazy!
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Too toned.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Great marketing. 20 pages. And go.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I kind of agree with the gym. I belong to a gym where there is a lot of extremely fit people and it does kind of intimidate you when I see a woman walking around in a sports bra and I've been on the treadmill for ten minutes sweating like a pig. They advertise that they are a gym without "stereotypes" and they have a fan base because of that reason. They have to stick to their advertising or they will be like all the other gyms. I believe it's just from a business standpoint.

you do know that feeling 'intimidated' is your issue... not that of the woman in the sports bra?
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    There was a very long thread started yesterday on this subject. Girl in the picture is NOT the girl that was asked to cover up. I highly doubt that the actual reason for asking the girl to adhere to the dress code, was because she was 'Too toned', Just another person trying to get attention for bashing Planet Fitness. Do a Youtube search for Lunk Alarm.

Read the rules before you join. If you don't like them, join a different fitness center, or an actual Gym.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    if they have a dress code, then yea... but, that maybe should be something mentioned during member sign up. I don't wear sports bras to the gym, but that is a ridiculous rule and another reason I would never sign up there.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    gym2.jpg

This was the "inappropriate" wear.
  • jdb3388
    jdb3388 Posts: 239 Member
    Options

A lot of people who are in great shape worked harder to be that way than most people who aren't in shape could ever imagine. They have sacrificed their time, and love of good food, they have poured blood, sweat and tears to become that way. Anybody who would want to suppress a person who has worked that hard needs to reevaluate what they are doing. Instead of looking for new ways to be butt-hurt, people should use it as inspiration..."maybe if I work as hard as that person does, I'll be able to rock a body like that one day"
  • healthyplans
    healthyplans Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I posted this article to my fb page this morning and WOW... the responses I have gotten!! I do not belong to this gym, but I will say this; a gym that advertises themselves as "judgement free zone" BUT in turn judges those that grunt when lifting something heavy by ringing a buzzer, in my opinion IS judging!!! I believe in dressing modestly--in my opinion, this woman wasn't wearing anything out of line. I've seen worse.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I definitely think that the gym owes her an apology. It sounds to me that Planet Fitness is run by a bunch of insecure people.

The Lunk alarm would just motivate me to work harder. I want to ring that bell!
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Read the last comment in the last few seconds.

Planet Fitness has a dress code.

You don't like it or don't want to abide by it?

Don't join a Planet Fitness.

While I don't agree with the dress code, its not our call to make.

This is probably the common sense answer but in for irrational anger.
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I just knew, even before clicking the link, that it would be at a Planet Fitness. **rolls eyes**

OH MAH GAWD - I thought the exact same thing!!!!!!! I friggin' knew it was gonna be PF. And btw, I would kill to have that woman's arms and shoulders. This is just stupid. But what I'd love to know is...who the hell is so insecure about themselves that they bothered to stop their own "workout" to go complain about this woman? Yeee-ikes.

ETS: Didn't realize there was a dress code. While I would never sign up for a place like that, I guess if she did, well...Nope, still think it's stupid!!!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    "Planet Fitness has a dress code policy that prohibits tank tops, midriff bearing tops or muscle shirts that would otherwise intimidate the other members."

Lol. The new Taliban of fitness.