Do you mind eating at a restaurant by yourself?

Options

Replies

• dynellthomas12
    dynellthomas12 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've done it numerous time and I actually like it. I'll take my ipad or a book and have a nice peaceful meal all on my own. With two kids there's really not much that I get to do alone so I savor that time.
  • Bethie_J
    Bethie_J Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I've never done it. I'd be too self-conscious, even though I rationally know that no one would pay me any mind.
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I do go alone sometimes, but I don't enjoy it. :(
  • Mobilemuscle
    Mobilemuscle Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    i go out to eat alone each time promising myself to push the guys away but each time end up leaving the restaurant with them lol
    orly??
  • Foodiethinking
    Foodiethinking Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Fine by me, take a book, enjoy good food and a glass of wine, spend a couple of hours there.
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    I eat out alone all the time (if I didn't, I'd never get to eat out since I'm single, all my friends are in relationships, and the male population apparently isn't interested in me enough to even bother to ask me on a date nevermind have a relationship) I just take a book or a magazine, go to a place I enjoy, and read or chat with the waitstaff, or if I'm sitting at the bar, I'll chat with my neighbor and have a nice time. I go to the movies by myself too (all the getting to see what I want and none of the person with me talking to me during the movie!)
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I don't often. But I have and will.

I did this last Thursday. Had just enough time to sit down to a meal before I went to watch my son play basketball.
  • winyin
    winyin Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I don't eat out very often but have not problem going out by myself. I sometimes travel for work and can't take friends or family with me. It is nice to have someone to eat with and talk to but if you are comfortable with yourself eating by yourself should not be a problem
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I like eating alone. The wait staff is generally cheerier and chattier with you, which is normally a little awkward for me but for some reason works when at a restaurant.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    It depends on the restaurant. I think it's absolutely normal to eat alone at a pay-n-eat type place like Panera or Chop't, where they put your food on a plate if you're eating in the restaurant. I think it is weird to eat alone at a place where you get the bill at the end. Just eat at the bar. I was a restaurant hostess for all of 3 weeks in grad school and we were coached to always ask people who were alone if they would prefer to sit in the bar area. The management always preferred we sit people in the bar area because they were not taking up a table for 2. Knowing that, I would feel uncomfortable "taking up" a table for two in a restaurant.
  • dirtmagnets
    dirtmagnets Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I love going ANYWHERE by myself. Having four kids home all day every day will do that to a person. :laugh: But yeah, I love to go out for a meal alone, travel alone, see a movie alone. None of it bothers me a bit.
  • shell13b
    shell13b Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have gone to dinner alone...and for me it is relaxing and enjoyable :) I have a few friends that make the same comment but I have other friends who enjoy the time alone as well.
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    If you aren't comfortable eating out alone then grab a friend, or just cook at home.

youre-welcome-card1.jpg

lol well yes. Obviously.
  • kendall916
    kendall916 Posts: 4,222 Member
    Options
    If it's a cafe shop I'm fine (because I can use my kindle/laptop). As for by myself in a restaurant I'm not sure-maybe as long as I don't feel like I'm giving the impression that I'm desperate :indifferent: :
  • charliex2202
    charliex2202 Posts: 4,281 Member
    Options
    Not at all sometimes you just need some peace and quiet a great book and a large drink
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    As others mentioned I do as well sometimes when I travel for work.. Just sit at the bar, that way if there is a wait you usually end up avoiding the wait.. you can talk to the bartender, and normally in most places there is a tv over the bar.. so you can just watch tv.. like you were in your hotel room.. except if you have alcohol your not paying minibar/room service inflated prices.

When home, I enjoy going to some of my local dive bars for a few and to support local business.. usually you end up talking to people that are there by themselves as well.
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    When I was in high school I made myself promise I would never go out to eat by myself, or go to the movies by myself, bc I was an insecure ninny and thought that "nothing could be more pathetic"

Now I travel near-constantly for work, so most of my meals these days are in restaurants, by myself. I've come to love it. If I'm feeling on the antisocial side I'll bring a book or some paperwork to get done; if I'm feeling chatty I'll sit at the bar. I've met some awesome people that way.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I have no issues with eating out as I've done it many times, but I prefer to get it to go so I can go home and slip into my PJ's and fuzzy slippers.
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    If I do, I will usually sit at the bar. Then I can almost guarantee some sort of social interaction, which is a necessity for me when going out to eat.
  • herwholejourney
    herwholejourney Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Before having a baby I used to dine alone for dinner all the time and go see movies alone etc. It was my 'me' time and I LOVED it. Not to mention, people (waiters and such) are usually extra nice to you because they feel bad you're all alone :)