News - woman asked to cover her toned body in the gym?

Options

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    The derogatory way some have talked about PF members on here kind of illustrates why some people may feel more comfortable starting out in that environment.

I have no gripe with PF members, unless they share the same mindset as PF marketing.

My issue is entirely with the company itself.

Why the gripe when it's obviously not catered towards you? For example I'm vegetarian so I am not going to go to KFC and tell them I dislike their chicken serving policy. They are not designed for me and my life style choices, I just don't go there.

If they had a whole ad campaign that mocked vegetarians an encouraged meat-eaters to judge and avoid them I'd take issue with that, yes. If they asked people who were eating salads at their location to please have some meat too because their vegetarianism was intimidating the other guests then yes, I'd take issue with that too.

That said, I'm not saying that PF shouldn't be allowed to run their business as they see fit. I'm just saying that I think it's lousy to make money off of the fears/prejudices of their members (yes I know, there are PLENTY of businesses doing the same.) They've taken what could be a good thing (a gym where people could feel comfortable no matter what they look like) and twisted it into "come here and you'll never have to deal with THAT kind of person." What kind? The ones who have already achieved a healthy body. Shock horror. And they're telling everyone that it's okay to judge fit people and assume they're awful just because they're fit. I think that sucks.

^^^^ this pretty much sums up the issue I have with Planet Fitness. Plus the hypocrisy of it being a judgement free zone for everyone except for the kinds of people they don't want in their establishment, who they judge to be "lunks" based on their appearance and fitness goals.... that's about as internally consistent as putting up a sign saying "no f***ing swearing allowed here you c***s!"
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    The derogatory way some have talked about PF members on here kind of illustrates why some people may feel more comfortable starting out in that environment.

I have no gripe with PF members, unless they share the same mindset as PF marketing.

My issue is entirely with the company itself.

Why the gripe when it's obviously not catered towards you? For example I'm vegetarian so I am not going to go to KFC and tell them I dislike their chicken serving policy. They are not designed for me and my life style choices, I just don't go there.

If they had a whole ad campaign that mocked vegetarians an encouraged meat-eaters to judge and avoid them I'd take issue with that, yes. If they asked people who were eating salads at their location to please have some meat too because their vegetarianism was intimidating the other guests then yes, I'd take issue with that too.

That said, I'm not saying that PF shouldn't be allowed to run their business as they see fit. I'm just saying that I think it's lousy to make money off of the fears/prejudices of their members (yes I know, there are PLENTY of businesses doing the same.) They've taken what could be a good thing (a gym where people could feel comfortable no matter what they look like) and twisted it into "come here and you'll never have to deal with THAT kind of person." What kind? The ones who have already achieved a healthy body. Shock horror. And they're telling everyone that it's okay to judge fit people and assume they're awful just because they're fit. I think that sucks.

^^^^ this pretty much sums up the issue I have with Planet Fitness. Plus the hypocrisy of it being a judgement free zone for everyone except for the kinds of people they don't want in their establishment, who they judge to be "lunks" based on their appearance and fitness goals.... that's about as internally consistent as putting up a sign saying "no f***ing swearing allowed here you c***s!"

Now, if a gym posted that sign, I'd join in an instant!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    In addition to "no shoes, no shirt, no service" some McDonalds are enforcing "pull up your pants or you can't come in"

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/23601165/new-mcdonalds-dress-code-for-customers-pull-up-your-pants

The difference between mcdonalds and planet fitness is that this requirement is clearly stated (what is lunk attire?) and prominently posted on the front door.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I think that's what's happening.

Poorly.

You seem to be advocating that. Some others seem to be advocating that. She doesn't seem to be organizing a social justice action. Boycotts usually come with some kind of argument or call for change. She's just complaining that she's too toned to show it off at a gym that tells you that is their policy. (I haven't read every article out there, sorry if she did.)

Tell her to go to Change.org.

My disdain is really more with the media for all the issues that don't get attention and then something like this does.

My local bar says no jeans. I've seen people walk in wearing some clothing that could definitely be called jeans. Look for me on the news.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    People HATE rules. Until their own arbitrary rules get violated.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Glad to see this thread is still going. Have they burned the poor ho at the stake yet for exposing her shoulders? I mean, that's clearly what she deserves, right?
    not yet, but she is on trial in Salem for "witchcraft" apparently she used her "magic" to convincing everyone in PF she was too "toned"….
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options
    Glad to see this thread is still going. Have they burned the poor ho at the stake yet for exposing her shoulders? I mean, that's clearly what she deserves, right?
    not yet, but she is on trial in Salem for "witchcraft" apparently she used her "magic" to convincing everyone in PF she was too "toned"….

:laugh:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    The only thing I've noticed on their dress code is "No Jeans" and "No street shoes". I'm going to look at that more closely tomorrow when I go in!

BECAUSE, gosh, having lost over 30 lbs this past winter, I've started wearing my form fitting yoga tops and pants. God, I feel so much more healthy now and I don't know if I'll ever be able to go back to loose sweats and t-shirts. At 57, of course, I'll never look as hot as most of the gals there but still - no one better tell me to cover it up if I'm wearing exercise clothes. LOL

Can't wait to report on what the dress code really says.

quit now, you are too toned to be a PF member...
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Can someone point me to the dress code on their site that I need to agree with prior to joining? Because they'll take my money but I can't actually seem to find it.

(viral marketing is awesome)
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I think that's what's happening.

Poorly.

You seem to be advocating that. Some others seem to be advocating that. She doesn't seem to be organizing a social justice action. Boycotts usually come with some kind of argument or call for change. She's just complaining that she's too toned to show it off at a gym that tells you that is their policy. (I haven't read every article out there, sorry if she did.)

Tell her to go to Change.org.

My disdain is really more with the media for all the issues that don't get attention and then something like this does.

My local bar says no jeans. I've seen people walk in wearing some clothing that could definitely be called jeans. Look for me on the news.

She's in Northern CA. I think we all know what's happening

The issue wasn't the dress code. She was in the process of complying with the dress code when a second employee came up and made personal remarks.

ETA: what I mean is complying with the "dress code" that the employee made up there on the spot.
  • bettyjoburdett
    bettyjoburdett Posts: 120 Member
    Options

Not her shoulders, its her stomach and back, bare, sweating on the equipment that I want to use without her or anyone elses funk all over the vinyl seats.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Not her shoulders, its her stomach and back, bare, sweating on the equipment that I want to use without her or anyone elses funk all over the vinyl seats.

I'm sure you wear long sleeves too
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

We get it, you think bare skin touching the machines is gross.

But that's not what she was told. If she'd been told it was a hygiene issue this would be a different conversation.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

I don't know how you work out.. But when I work out in a tank, or better yet, a tshirt... I sweat like a hostage. And when I'm done with a bench... There is sweat there regardless of top or no top.

That's what those little hygienic wipes are for.

Since you have such an issue with it. Then bring your own little package of disinfectant wipes and wipe down the machines before (and after) so as to avoid all the nasty germs.

Oh... And PS... Boxing would not be your thing. Sweat. Flies. Everywhere.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

Some people should just stay on their couch away from all the sweat and icky germs in gyms. Hell, some hard working types even bleed once in a while
  • arenad
    arenad Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    So they want your money to get to looking like that, but then your not allowed to show it off. Now isn't that some *kitten*?
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    How many of you were there when this woman was told that she was in violation of the dress code. None. That's what I thought. Yet, we are all taking this woman's word as gospel. Of course, she is telling the truth. Of course, it couldn't be that simple that she violated the code and was asked to cover up or she would have to leave. Of course, that ogre of a worker was wrong. No one who works for a corporation could ever be in the right.

You know, no one wants to admit they are wrong so when they retell the story, they add to it to make sure that people side with them. Think about the last time something along those lines happened to you. What sort of story did you spin?

I wonder if it was the woman's attitude rather than her body or tank top that was intimidating. I wasn't there and only have her statements to go by but I think there is more to the story.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    So they want your money to get to looking like that, but then your not allowed to show it off. Now isn't that some *kitten*?

Well, if you eat their pizza and bagels and tootsie rolls, you won't be looking like that will you?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Some people should just stay on their couch away from all the sweat and icky germs in gyms. Hell, some hard working types even bleed once in a while

True story. I'm pretty sure my barbell has some dried blood on it...either from my hands or from scraping my shins while deadlifting...

...but I guess PF has solved the latter problem by prohibiting that particular lift.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Well, if you eat their pizza and bagels and tootsie rolls, you won't be looking like that will you?

HEY! I eat all those things. :angry:

Not at planet fitness, but you know, just in general.