A CALORIE IS NOT A CALORIE

Options

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    This is not something that some people don't like to hear and we are hearing it again and again. For the large percentage of people who do like to hear it, here it is from HARVARD HEALTH.

LESS ABOUT QUANTITY... more about quality.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/best-diet-quality-counts/

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity

The message everyone must take is weight loss and good nutrition is LESS about quantity and MORE about quality. I'm sure everyone with common sense gets it. It is just a matter of implementing it ... it's difficult because of all the junk that has been snuck into our foods... But we will get there.

I am so happy that the word is coming out about this. It's about time.

Of course calories matter...We cannot sit down and eat and eat and eat. Most people get that. ... It kind of goes without saying... But it is the QUALITY of calories because a calorie is NOT a calorie any more.

Yes a calorie is a calorie...it always has been and always will be....

Quality is about health...but that doesn't mean you have to exclude anything from your intake you just take it in smaller quantites...

Hitting your macros is important if you are concerned with overall health and want to lose fat not fat+muscle...but if you are just concerned with the number on the scale...it's all about calories...

Choice of food for overall health - just hitting your macros is ambiguous!

A calorie is just a calorie (in as much as it is a unit of energy). But not all calories will convert into energy to fuel our bodies, so sometimes it is about the context of that calorie.

I am not discouraging or suggesting calorie counting does not work, because I firmly believe it does and most members of MFP loss weight in an efficient and healthy manner.

To be honest I don't really know or care which is better for the masses all I care about is which is better for me personally.

So a calorie is a calorie - until you eat it.
    We eat food not calories, everyone knows that.:bigsmile:
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    To be honest I don't really know or care which is better for the masses all I care about is which is better for me personally.

This.

I'm weary of all the "experts" on MFP who are convinced that unless I'm doing it their way, I'm doing it wrong. IMO, bottom line (for each individual) should be what is effective and sustainable for them. Everything else is just noise.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Eating-Popcorn-Soda.gif

I am sitting here...
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Ok thats it! I am going to start eating 8000 calories a day of QUALITY approved foods and see my weight magically disappear...because QUALITY over QUANTITY.

:sad: :laugh: :bigsmile: Thanks for the laugh :P
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Quality is about health...but that doesn't mean you have to exclude anything from your intake you just take it in smaller quantites...

Hitting your macros is important if you are concerned with overall health and want to lose fat not fat+muscle...but if you are just concerned with the number on the scale...it's all about calories...

A calorie is just a calorie (in as much as it is a unit of energy). But not all calories will convert into energy to fuel our bodies, so sometimes it is about the context of that calorie.

I am not discouraging or suggesting calorie counting does not work, because I firmly believe it does and most members of MFP loss weight in an efficient and healthy manner.

really ...you are really going to argue this?

the phrase "hit your macros" is not ambiguous...it has a defined meaning. It means ensuring you get in enough of your macronutrients , those being protien, fat and carbs...the breakdown of those macros is an individual choice...
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    So a calorie is a calorie - until you eat it.[/img]
    We eat food not calories, everyone knows that.:bigsmile:[/quote]

Thank you Mr Pedantic:smile:
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    This is not something that some people don't like to hear and we are hearing it again and again. For the large percentage of people who do like to hear it, here it is from HARVARD HEALTH.

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity

The message everyone must take is weight loss and good nutrition is LESS about quantity and MORE about quality. I'm sure everyone with common sense gets it. It is just a matter of implementing it ... it's difficult because of all the junk that has been snuck into our foods... But we will get there.

Of course calories matter...We cannot sit down and eat and eat and eat. Most people get that. ... It kind of goes without saying... But it is the QUALITY of calories because a calorie is NOT a calorie any more.

What did calories evolve into?
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

the phrase "hit your macros" is not ambiguous...it has a defined meaning. It means ensuring you get in enough of your macronutrients , those being protien, fat and carbs...the breakdown of those macros is an individual choice...

It certainly is ambiguous - it does not take into account micro nutrients.

I strongly believe that the principle of IIFYM works just fine and that most people on it are NOT idiots who eat nutrient deficient food 100% of the time - it's just to chuck that 'only the Macro's matter' phrase in for every scenario is...... well ambiguous.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    oh my word..why do these threads keep popping up? Join a "a calorie is NOT a calorie!!!!!!!!!!!!!" group. Please!!

I have been striving to hit my macros, and eating clean AND eating dirty and everything in between. With only about 15lbs starting out to lose, I've lost 10lbs so far.

Basically i'm eating whatever I want, IN MODERATION, and i'm still losing weight.

I feel great. Threads like this confuse people who don't know any better. And it's too early for this *kitten*.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Ok thats it! I am going to start eating 8000 calories a day of QUALITY approved foods and see my weight magically disappear...because QUALITY over QUANTITY.

you and me bother are going on an 8000 calorie a day raw vegan diet and we are going to lose a pound per week!!!!!

8000 calorie a day raw vegan?

NOBODY LIGHT A MATCH!!!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity

media_preview.php?url=http%3A%2F%2F2.bp.blogspot.com%2F-o7HSBLToMgE%2FT57GKvF8anI%2FAAAAAAAAADY%2F8wpTDiGppJE%2Fs1600%2FMiles-WUT.gif
  • bekamullin
    bekamullin Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie in the sense that if we can eat 2000 calories of macdonalds or 2000 calories of broccoli and we have still eaten 2000 calories. we will lose/put on weight at the same rate depending on our BMR and what kind of deficit/surplus we need.

Obviously though, your overall health will be completely affected by what your 2000 calories are made up of. Where you choose to get your calories from will ultimately affect how full and satisfied you feel, how much energy you have, how much muscle you are able to build and so on and so on. A calorie is a calorie in terms of weight loss but our overall HEALTH is about more than just calories.

I personally would not have the energy to go to the gym after eating **** food all day, but at the same time I think I would go a little mad if I couldnt have a chocolate bar now and then! I think most people on this thread are pretty educated and just because they are stating that a calorie is a calorie doesn't mean they're just eating sweets all day, we know how precious those calories are!!

Whatever works for you is great, but I don't think you can underestimate the importance of calories OR quality food!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    With the number of these ridiculous fear-mongering posts floating around, I'm really starting to think the OP actually believes calories are a tangible physical being that the molecules in food cling to and that the food source determines how they are processed by your body.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

I strongly believe that the principle of IIFYM works just fine and that most people on it are NOT idiots who eat nutrient deficient food 100% of the time - it's just to chuck that 'only the Macro's matter' phrase in for every scenario is...... well ambiguous.
    IIFYM includes micronutrient needs it's just not included in the acronym because simplicity was the order of the day considering people were confused to begin with as to the meaning of IIFYM anyway.:smile:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Micro nutrients all n all are covered when you hit your macros and in any country that is not deemed 3rd world or a developing nation it is not an issue....I mean really when was the last time you had scurvy? or another disease caused my micro nutrient deficency...

You are reaching here and I am not playing this game with you....
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    oh my word..why do these threads keep popping up? Join a "a calorie is NOT a calorie!!!!!!!!!!!!!" group. Please!!

I have been striving to hit my macros, and eating clean AND eating dirty and everything in between. With only about 15lbs starting out to lose, I've lost 10lbs so far.

Basically i'm eating whatever I want, IN MODERATION, and i'm still losing weight.

I feel great. Threads like this confuse people who don't know any better. And it's too early for this *kitten*.

I fully agree. Especially with the last part.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

she has a group. she creates these threads to recruit for her group so that she can pass along her propaganda in there.

i'm sure the OP is a nice person, but she's wrong and the things she believes to be true about food are not actually true.
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif

tumblr_m3bzqdgx061robb62.gif

I.C.E. Cream Official Tester
    IKEA Professional Put Together-er
    Kickboxing Class Attender
    Been in fitness for about 2 years and have studied kitty-gif-ology, nutrition and Dinosaurs

BUT I agree with OP.
    I mean...I ate super healthy Ben & Jerry's, Taco Bell, and Godiva chocolate this week and LOST.
    You can only lose weight eating super uber-duber healthy.
    A calorie IS NOT just a calorie.
    :grumble: :noway: :laugh:
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options

Oh she has a group and a glance of the posts there will show you how ridiculous it is.

I am not even sure she is a real person at this point. She is a manifestation of the souls from those who have died due to the TOXIC NATURE OF SUGAR.