A CALORIE IS NOT A CALORIE

Options

Replies

• NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    This is not something that some people don't like to hear and we are hearing it again and again. For the large percentage of people who do like to hear it, here it is from HARVARD HEALTH.

LESS ABOUT QUANTITY... more about quality.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/best-diet-quality-counts/

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity

The message everyone must take is weight loss and good nutrition is LESS about quantity and MORE about quality. I'm sure everyone with common sense gets it. It is just a matter of implementing it ... it's difficult because of all the junk that has been snuck into our foods... But we will get there.

I am so happy that the word is coming out about this. It's about time.

Of course calories matter...We cannot sit down and eat and eat and eat. Most people get that. ... It kind of goes without saying... But it is the QUALITY of calories because a calorie is NOT a calorie any more.

Well if you're going to have a conversation with yourself...I'm just going to leave....

^^ This. But... I'm in.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I just don't understand these threads.
    A calorie is the amount of heat needed to raise the temperature of 1 kg of water 1° C.

Yeah, in this universe. But in the Zog universe, physics might be different. Pressures could change like the sun rises in our little section of this universe. And then the calorie could indeed vary. And I did that with only minimal mind-altering drugs. Yeah, me!

I see that I've made a convert. My theory is that MFP spans multiple dimensions, including one where a CALORIE is, indeed, NOT A CALORIE.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Adam Savage
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mwowu8rqJW1t1hyv0o1_400.gif

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

tears... srs... thank you.

this made my day amg....

LOL!!! ME too!

Love this !

Holy crap. that's the funniest thing I've seen in ages. ..
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

tears... srs... thank you.

this made my day amg....

LOL!!! ME too!

Love this !

Holy crap. that's the funniest thing I've seen in ages. ..

Right!?? lol

I still can't get over how funny it is! lol

So worth it and definitely brightened my morning!

BRAVO!!! LOL :laugh:
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

If nothing else it brought forth this....which is so worth it.

I'd rather.....

giphy.gif
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

Ugh..to all of you guys that answered me; that's unfortunate that there are groups dedicated to this yet this crap still finds its way into the regular forums.

The reason I have issues with this is because it can potentially cause people to cut out foods that they love, when that is unncessary. When you cut those things out, you are more likely to binge at some point, and fail. Hit your macros, stay within your calorie goal, throw healthy foods in there from time to time, and you'll be fine. If you have special dietary needs or have a specific condition you need to see a dietician or a doctor.

Honestly this is an issue that you need to take up with the creators of MFP.

Because contrary to popular belief on the "regular forums", this is not an IIFYM website. It is not an "eat everything in moderation" website. MFP actually states upfront the following:

"Flexibility - our system can support any diet like Atkins, the South Beach Diet, the Zone, and more. No matter what diet you're on, we can help."

MFP provides tools for people to keep count of calories, exercise, and macronutrients, all of which can be used regardless of your own nutritional approach. If you're looking to have a space dedicated solely to your view of weight loss, your path, than start an IIFYM/EverythinginModeration group. But as it currently stands, according to the creators of this site, the "regular forums" are for people who are following any number of weight loss plans. They don't have to keep their views sequestered to a group anymore than you do.
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    With the number of these ridiculous fear-mongering posts floating around, I'm really starting to think the OP actually believes calories are a tangible physical being that the molecules in food cling to and that the food source determines how they are processed by your body.

Also believes the internet is a series of tubes?
  • Sreneesa
    Options

Ugh..to all of you guys that answered me; that's unfortunate that there are groups dedicated to this yet this crap still finds its way into the regular forums.

The reason I have issues with this is because it can potentially cause people to cut out foods that they love, when that is unncessary. When you cut those things out, you are more likely to binge at some point, and fail. Hit your macros, stay within your calorie goal, throw healthy foods in there from time to time, and you'll be fine. If you have special dietary needs or have a specific condition you need to see a dietician or a doctor.

Because contrary to popular belief on the "regular forums", this is not an IIFYM website. It is not an "eat everything in moderation" website. MFP actually states upfront the following:

"Flexibility - our system can support any diet like Atkins, the South Beach Diet, the Zone, and more. No matter what diet you're on, we can help."

MFP provides tools for people to keep count of calories, exercise, and macronutrients, all of which can be used regardless of your own nutritional approach. If you're looking to have a space dedicated solely to your view of weight loss, your path, than start an IIFYM/EverythinginModeration group. But as it currently stands, according to the creators of this site, the "regular forums" are for people who are following any number of weight loss plans. They don't have to keep their views sequestered to a group anymore than you do.

I have to agree. That is why I do not force my opinions or my approach on losing weight or what I eat or how I exercise. I'm a firm believer that everyone is an adult and capable of making their own decisions. Yes providing information is fine but belittling others and constantly questioning a grown person's method is not necessary to get your point across. lol

People go through trial and error. If their approach doesn't work then maybe they will try other methods. And quite honestly I'm way too self-absorbed to care either way what a grown person decides to do. Cut carbs, meat, or whatever do as you please. I do not know you and you are not relevant in my life for me to put that much energy to try and change your mind. LOL

If your way works then that's fine. If it doesn't again, you might try another suggestion.

That's just my opinion though.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

Well, no, it's not... but it IS an "eat whatever you want" website.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

I have to agree. That is why I do not force my opinions or my approach on losing weight or what I eat or how I exercise. I'm a firm believer that everyone is an adult and capable of making their own decisions. Yes providing information is fine but belittling others and constantly questioning a grown person's method is not necessary to get your point across. lol

People go through trial and error. If their approach doesn't work then maybe they will try other methods. And quite honestly I'm way too self-absorbed to care either way what a grown person decides to do. Cut carbs, meat, or whatever do as you please. I do not know you and you are not relevant in my life for me to put that much energy to try and change your mind. LOL

If your way works then that's fine. If it doesn't again, you might try another suggestion.

If you ask for opinions about a method on a public website, then you should probably be prepared to be told that it doesn't work if, in fact, it doesn't work.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    This is not something that some people don't like to hear and we are hearing it again and again.

Halp! Trying to understand this. Struggling.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

Bumping purely to have continual access to this ^^
  • Sreneesa
    Options

If you ask for opinions about a method on a public website, then you should probably be prepared to be told that it doesn't work if, in fact, it doesn't work.

As I said above "providing information is fine." Forcing your opinion over and over, constant post after post, page after page and arguing doesn't accomplish anything. I see pages upon pages of people stating the same redundant stuff to an OP when obviously they aren't listening! LOL

I know some are very passionate and actually have useful information. Nothing wrong with that. I'm giving MY OPINION as I think its a waste of time to beat the horse over the head if the horse is dead and not listening. lol

That's all.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Finding what works for you to eat and lose is personal. However, if you go through the OP's post history time and time again she tells people that it doesn't matter how much they eat and just the "quality" of what they eat. This can be disastrous for people who don't have a good relationship with food or understand how many calories they need to eat. Some people can binge on fruit and protein and easily go way over on calories. Some people can eat super "healthy" cutting out all fats and proteins and be waaay under calories. Both of those methods won't work well for long term weight loss, and could create an unhealthy relationship with food.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    This is not something that some people don't like to hear and we are hearing it again and again. For the large percentage of people who do like to hear it, here it is from HARVARD HEALTH.

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity

Just stop. Please. Go start your own Eating Holier Than Thou Church ....elsewhere.

The message everyone must take is weight loss and good nutrition is LESS about quantity and MORE about quality. I'm sure everyone with common sense gets it. It is just a matter of implementing it ... it's difficult because of all the junk that has been snuck into our foods... But we will get there.

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

Bumping purely to have continual access to this ^^

this is very funny
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity

O-kaaaay...Well, if nutrition is the "take home message," then naming the thread "A Calorie is Not a Calorie" is misleading.

For the record, MOST EVERYONE recognizes that some foods are more nutrient dense than others, and I've known INTUITIVELY that certain foods fuel my body better than others, since I was a child. Harvard didn't tell anyone anything. They just confirmed what everyone already knew.

This is nothing new...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

but we are all supposed to support one another!!! So if I want to do a 30 day water fast, you need to encourage me...damn it...
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

dana-carvey-snl.png
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

but we are all supposed to support one another!!! So if I want to do a 30 day water fast, you need to encourage me...damn it...

I would definitely support it for you!!!!