A CALORIE IS NOT A CALORIE

Options

Replies

• Curlysasha
    Curlysasha Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Curlysasha - I have periods of plateau on a regular basis...I just went through 6 weeks of ZERO weight loss while maintaining the same calorie intake and exercise burn. It just seems to happen sometimes...not sure why. 2 days ago I started losing again and I am down 2 lbs. Just keep doing what you are doing and you should kick back off again. Change something (exercise or food or both) and see if it jump starts your loss again.

Thank you so much x
  • loconnor466
    loconnor466 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    For weight loss: calories in < calories out

For body composition: get enough protein and lift heavy

For overall health: get enough micronutrients

For your sanity: don't eliminate a whole group of foods for no medical reason

Now these are words to live by!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    LESS ABOUT QUANTITY... more about quality.

Bull****. From the first paragraph of your link:
    Focus on eating high-quality foods in appropriately sized portions.

That is calorie counting, plain and simple.
  • Curlysasha
    Curlysasha Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    This is not something that some people don't like to hear and we are hearing it again and again. For the large percentage of people who do like to hear it, here it is from HARVARD HEALTH.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/best-diet-quality-counts/

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity

The message everyone must take is weight loss and good nutrition is LESS about quantity and MORE about quality. I'm sure everyone with common sense gets it. It is just a matter of implementing it ... it's difficult because of all the junk that has been snuck into our foods... But we will get there.

I am so happy that the word is coming out about this. It's about time.
    Hilarious how you quote yourself to insist that an article you linked to claims to say something that it doesn't say at all.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

Ugh..to all of you guys that answered me; that's unfortunate that there are groups dedicated to this yet this crap still finds its way into the regular forums.

The reason I have issues with this is because it can potentially cause people to cut out foods that they love, when that is unncessary. When you cut those things out, you are more likely to binge at some point, and fail. Hit your macros, stay within your calorie goal, throw healthy foods in there from time to time, and you'll be fine. If you have special dietary needs or have a specific condition you need to see a dietician or a doctor.

Honestly this is an issue that you need to take up with the creators of MFP.

Because contrary to popular belief on the "regular forums", this is not an IIFYM website. It is not an "eat everything in moderation" website. MFP actually states upfront the following:

"Flexibility - our system can support any diet like Atkins, the South Beach Diet, the Zone, and more. No matter what diet you're on, we can help."

MFP provides tools for people to keep count of calories, exercise, and macronutrients, all of which can be used regardless of your own nutritional approach. If you're looking to have a space dedicated solely to your view of weight loss, your path, than start an IIFYM/EverythinginModeration group. But as it currently stands, according to the creators of this site, the "regular forums" are for people who are following any number of weight loss plans. They don't have to keep their views sequestered to a group anymore than you do.

Well, no, it's not... but it IS an "eat whatever you want" website.

Which has nothing to do with my point.

The person I quoted said that people who advocate restricting any foods needs to take their views to a group and leave the "regular forums". She then goes on to give her personal view of weight loss, which apparently is the only approach welcome on the regular forums.

Except no, the creators of this site disagree. Just because many people here take an "I eat everything in moderation" approach does not mean the many who are taking a different approach need to vacate the premises. That's the point. The IIFYM/Moderation approach is not an MFP exclusive.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mwowu8rqJW1t1hyv0o1_400.gif

If nothing else it brought forth this....which is so worth it.

I'd rather.....

giphy.gif

Oooh. Awesome gif combined with smoking hot Felicia Day... Keeping
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

If nothing else it brought forth this....which is so worth it.

I'd rather.....

giphy.gif

Oooh. Awesome gif combined with smoking hot Felicia Day... Keeping

Gotta roll it to the next page...hate going back for a laugh...

come on people next quote...
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Both of those methods won't work well for long term weight loss, and could create an unhealthy relationship with food.

Unfortunately no method, including calorie counting, calling it a "lifestyle change", and eating everything in moderation, is proven to work well for long term weight loss. The statics for every approach across the board sports abysmal maintenance numbers. Most people will regain their weight, regardless of the method they enacted to shed that weight. That's the unfortunate reality.

Which is why it's imperative for people to view a number of different approaches and tailor craft a road that works for them and their needs.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Nowhere in that article does it state that a calorie =/= a calorie.

Really, you are just spamming MFP at this point. Eating quality food in order to hit your macros is what IIFYM eating is all about.

Duh.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Title of thread was ALL CAPS so it must be true. And OP likes to talk to herself, so she isn't crazy.

Oh wait...
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options

OMG, funniest gif I've seen in a long time. Love it! Thanks for posting it and making my day. :D
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    This is not something that some people don't like to hear and we are hearing it again and again. For the large percentage of people who do like to hear it, here it is from HARVARD HEALTH.

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity

The message everyone must take is weight loss and good nutrition is LESS about quantity and MORE about quality. I'm sure everyone with common sense gets it. It is just a matter of implementing it ... it's difficult because of all the junk that has been snuck into our foods... But we will get there.

Of course calories matter...We cannot sit down and eat and eat and eat. Most people get that. ... It kind of goes without saying... But it is the QUALITY of calories because a calorie is NOT a calorie any more.

Yes a calorie is a calorie...it always has been and always will be....

Quality is about health...but that doesn't mean you have to exclude anything from your intake you just take it in smaller quantites...

Hitting your macros is important if you are concerned with overall health and want to lose fat not fat+muscle...but if you are just concerned with the number on the scale...it's all about calories...

Choice of food for overall health - just hitting your macros is ambiguous!

A calorie is just a calorie (in as much as it is a unit of energy). But not all calories will convert into energy to fuel our bodies, so sometimes it is about the context of that calorie.

I am not discouraging or suggesting calorie counting does not work, because I firmly believe it does and most members of MFP loss weight in an efficient and healthy manner.

To be honest I don't really know or care which is better for the masses all I care about is which is better for me personally.

So a calorie is a calorie - until you eat it.

34o59pi.jpg
  • Woodspoon
    Woodspoon Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I just don't understand these threads.
    A calorie is the amount of heat needed to raise the temperature of 1 kg of water 1° C.
    ^^ This
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

Ugh..to all of you guys that answered me; that's unfortunate that there are groups dedicated to this yet this crap still finds its way into the regular forums.

The reason I have issues with this is because it can potentially cause people to cut out foods that they love, when that is unncessary. When you cut those things out, you are more likely to binge at some point, and fail. Hit your macros, stay within your calorie goal, throw healthy foods in there from time to time, and you'll be fine. If you have special dietary needs or have a specific condition you need to see a dietician or a doctor.

Because contrary to popular belief on the "regular forums", this is not an IIFYM website. It is not an "eat everything in moderation" website. MFP actually states upfront the following:

"Flexibility - our system can support any diet like Atkins, the South Beach Diet, the Zone, and more. No matter what diet you're on, we can help."

MFP provides tools for people to keep count of calories, exercise, and macronutrients, all of which can be used regardless of your own nutritional approach. If you're looking to have a space dedicated solely to your view of weight loss, your path, than start an IIFYM/EverythinginModeration group. But as it currently stands, according to the creators of this site, the "regular forums" are for people who are following any number of weight loss plans. They don't have to keep their views sequestered to a group anymore than you do.

The person I quoted said that people who advocate restricting any foods needs to take their views to a group and leave the "regular forums". She then goes on to give her personal view of weight loss, which apparently is the only approach welcome on the regular forums.

Except no, the creators of this site disagree. Just because many people here take an "I eat everything in moderation" approach does not mean the many who are taking a different approach need to vacate the premises. That's the point. The IIFYM/Moderation approach is not an MFP exclusive.

I tell people to get off my lawn, not vacate the premises.

I make MY point because for people wanting to manage their weight who have no medical problems, there's no real reason to cut out the foods that they enjoy. And surely no reason to demonize food groups.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity

Of course calories matter...We cannot sit down and eat and eat and eat. Most people get that. ... It kind of goes without saying... But it is the QUALITY of calories because a calorie is NOT a calorie any more.

Yes a calorie is a calorie...it always has been and always will be....

Quality is about health...but that doesn't mean you have to exclude anything from your intake you just take it in smaller quantites...

Hitting your macros is important if you are concerned with overall health and want to lose fat not fat+muscle...but if you are just concerned with the number on the scale...it's all about calories...

Choice of food for overall health - just hitting your macros is ambiguous!

A calorie is just a calorie (in as much as it is a unit of energy). But not all calories will convert into energy to fuel our bodies, so sometimes it is about the context of that calorie.

I am not discouraging or suggesting calorie counting does not work, because I firmly believe it does and most members of MFP loss weight in an efficient and healthy manner.

To be honest I don't really know or care which is better for the masses all I care about is which is better for me personally.

So a calorie is a calorie - until you eat it.

34o59pi.jpg
    I was about to post the same thing..
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Nowhere in that article does it state that a calorie =/= a calorie.

Really, you are just spamming MFP at this point. Eating quality food in order to hit your macros is what IIFYM eating is all about.

Duh.

There she goes... talkin' all that "sense" an' stuff.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options

I tell people to get off my lawn, not vacate the premises.

I make MY point because for people wanting to manage their weight who have no medical problems, there's no real reason to cut out the foods that they enjoy. And surely no reason to demonize food groups.

Pretty much what you and everyone else said and response to my comment.

To the original individual responding to my comment, I don't care what kind of diet you're on..but spewing non-sense isn't really well tolerated around here. There are special groups devoted to what she is advocating, and as MANY have stated, she has them and has touted this info a billion times around here to unsuspecting folks that may not know any better. Let it go at this point. We understand your position, and ITS OK TO MOVE ON. Spamming isn't the way to go.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why this has to be an "either or" argument. Why can't it be a "both and" argument?

Those that think that the content of calories doesn't affect metabolism and fat/muscle loss are simply incorrect. You may lose weight in a caloric deficit, but the type of weight you lose (i.e. muscle vs. fat) is definitely affected by the content of your calories and many different factors in any given individual (body type, natural propensity to build muscle, hormone levels, sensitivity to carbs, etc.). For example, it has been shown that one way to minimize LBM loss while in a caloric deficit is to eat a certain amount of protein. If all calories were created equal, this wouldn't matter. But, it does. So, although "a calorie is a calorie is a calorie" is nice for its simplicity and definitely gets the message across that quantity of calories does matter, it's simply incorrect as pertains to metabolism, body composition, fat/muscle loss and health. And, really, isn't that what we're truly interested in?

Same goes for exercise. Burning 200 calories running, walking or weight lifting is going to have seriously different effects on your body. Just burning calories isn't the end all be all. It's important but so is how you choose to do it. It won't result in the same weight loss as it affects how much muscle vs. fat is metabolized -- and the more muscle you lose vs. fat, the more weight you will lose as a lb of fat metabolizes 3500 calories and a lb of muscle releases considerably fewer (somewhere in the 600-1500 calorie range). So if you're losing a higher percentage of fat, the scale will go down more slowly compared with someone that is losing more muscle.

That being said, it's not a reason to swing 100% the other way either -- restricting a whole bunch of foods unnecessarily. Some restrict for different reasons -- whether medical or based on burgeoning evidence of certain food groups having different effects on the body (obviously, this research is far from definitive and there are many that disagree with it).

However, BOTH quantity of calories AND quality of calories makes a difference in weight loss, fat vs. muscle catabolism, micro nutrient, metabolic response and over all health. To pretend that it doesn't is willful ignorance.

Let the flaming begin.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    For weight loss: calories in < calories out

For body composition: get enough protein and lift heavy

For overall health: get enough micronutrients

For your sanity: don't eliminate a whole group of foods for no medical reason

Now these are words to live by!

I agree!