A CALORIE IS NOT A CALORIE

Options

Replies

• Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    This is not something that some people don't like to hear and we are hearing it again and again. For the large percentage of people who do like to hear it, here it is from HARVARD HEALTH.

LESS ABOUT QUANTITY... more about quality.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/best-diet-quality-counts/

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity

This site has a search feature, Ms. Moniz. You should use it before posting THE SAME TOPIC that has been posted NINE BAZILLION TIMES. But hey, thanks for enlightening everyone.

B.J. Leech
    The Snark on Sarcasm

And 8.9 bazillion of those threads are hers :laugh:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mwowu8rqJW1t1hyv0o1_400.gif

If nothing else it brought forth this....which is so worth it.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I am just asking this and it isn't really relating to the OP thread and please don't reply with sarcasm as I really want to understand.

I am on 1250 calories a day and have been losing around 2 - 3 pounds a week every week (need to lose 100 lbs in total) and have lost continuously for 123 days 45 lbs in total.

My 1250 calories were mainly protein with some fruit and veg and a small amount of carbs.

I have over the last 3 weeks been craving sweet things, so instead of blowing my good work I have instead been using about 1000 of my 1250 calories a day for sweet things, however NONE of these are bad most are from oranges/yogurt coated nuts/fruit puree/ fruit nuggets and in 3 weeks I have not lost an ounce of weight.

On one day I ate 12 oranges but it was in my calorie allowance and 4 oranges at each meal instead of actual meals.

Can anyone shed some light on this as I really thought a calorie was a calorie and yes I know better calories are more healthy but I was still consuming the SAME amount for the 3 weeks ....... please help

Many thanks
    Sasha

If you're eating more carbs this week, chances are you're retaining water. It can be masking any fat loss. Carbs do tend to be associated with water. If you go back to your regular high protein eating, the water will come off. Or, if you go to a more moderate protein-carb balance, your water levels will stabilize, probably a bit higher than before, and you'll see pounds start to come off again. But if your calories are still accurately logged, it didn't stop you from losing the weight (fat) ... water can be frustrating.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I just don't understand these threads.
    A calorie is the amount of heat needed to raise the temperature of 1 kg of water 1° C.

Yeah, in this universe. But in the Zog universe, physics might be different. Pressures could change like the sun rises in our little section of this universe. And then the calorie could indeed vary. And I did that with only minimal mind-altering drugs. Yeah, me!

I see that I've made a convert. My theory is that MFP spans multiple dimensions, including one where a CALORIE is, indeed, NOT A CALORIE.
  • Fitnursejo
    Options
    This is not something that some people don't like to hear and we are hearing it again and again. For the large percentage of people who do like to hear it, here it is from HARVARD HEALTH.

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity

Thank you for the article. I will read it carefully.
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I was told there was popcorn. In for the popcorn. And awesome Godzilla gif. You guys rule!!!!!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    From the OP's profile...

"I want to share my knowledge, but particularly spread the word of Dr. Lustig and Ludwig, the two doctors who are pioneering educating the country about the dangers of sugar and the role of it in the obesity......"

'nuff said...........
    LOLstig...didn't he get owned by Alan Aragon and then ragequit
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTg_YZ_W3sQ3khr3NnAtFwrwHBa28B1fwBl1vRwzP_eMwBOdVLMBQ
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTg_YZ_W3sQ3khr3NnAtFwrwHBa28B1fwBl1vRwzP_eMwBOdVLMBQ

I think I derped my pants a little at that Godzilla gif.
  • RabbitLost
    RabbitLost Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I just don't understand these threads.
    A calorie is the amount of heat needed to raise the temperature of 1 kg of water 1° C.

^^^^^ this

.....apart from I thought it was 1 joule = the amount of heat needed to heat 1cm3 of water 1 degrees C... and 1 joule =/= 1000 calories.... I think the above is the definition of a kilojoule not a calorie but never mind the principle is the same.... a calorie is a unit of energy and it always is the same amount of energy every time just like 1 centimetre is always the same amount of length every time and 1 gram is the same amount of mass each time etc.

Only so long as you agree to the rules of physics in this universe. I like my own rules so I need other universes.
  • ifaber
    ifaber Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Started reading...got bored...just my two cents...lol!
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    The only people crazier than the OP are the people arguing with her.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I AM MADE OF CALORIES!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    The only people crazier than the OP are the people arguing with her.

amen....end thread/
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mgg17ascbz1s0eooro1_400.gif
  • joeburchett2
    Options
    Curlysasha - I have periods of plateau on a regular basis...I just went through 6 weeks of ZERO weight loss while maintaining the same calorie intake and exercise burn. It just seems to happen sometimes...not sure why. 2 days ago I started losing again and I am down 2 lbs. Just keep doing what you are doing and you should kick back off again. Change something (exercise or food or both) and see if it jump starts your loss again.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mgg17ascbz1s0eooro1_400.gif

tumblr_mkfl28oISJ1r6bsj7o1_500.gif
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity

The message everyone must take is weight loss and good nutrition is LESS about quantity and MORE about quality. I'm sure everyone with common sense gets it. It is just a matter of implementing it ... it's difficult because of all the junk that has been snuck into our foods... But we will get there.

I am so happy that the word is coming out about this. It's about time.

It's amazing how unintelligent you sound. You actually sound like you are part of some crazy church. Are you part of the Westborough Baptist Church? I don't know who else would post an article proving what they think is wrong, all because they can't understand what it is the article is actually saying, so they pawn it off as if it is actually providing facts as to what they are saying. I can't believe that you think what you are posting is actually helping your cause.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Why start another thread? Why not just join the 20 other threads having a pointless argument?

LOL.......this definitely.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I AM MADE OF CALORIES!

Yes, but are you QUALITY calories??