A CALORIE IS NOT A CALORIE

Options

Replies

• BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    This is not something that some people don't like to hear and we are hearing it again and again. For the large percentage of people who do like to hear it, here it is from HARVARD HEALTH.

LESS ABOUT QUANTITY... more about quality.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/best-diet-quality-counts/

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity

A calorie is a calorie. The only thing this article is saying is that the calories should come from healthy sources. The reason for this is healthy sources contain vital nutrients and healthy fats while unhealthy sources are nutrient deficient and contain bad fats and cholesterol among other things. Whether a calorie comes from a donut or an apple a calorie is still a unit of heat used to indicate the amount of energy that foods will produce in the human body.
  • Curlysasha
    Curlysasha Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I am just asking this and it isn't really relating to the OP thread and please don't reply with sarcasm as I really want to understand.

I am on 1250 calories a day and have been losing around 2 - 3 pounds a week every week (need to lose 100 lbs in total) and have lost continuously for 123 days 45 lbs in total.

My 1250 calories were mainly protein with some fruit and veg and a small amount of carbs.

I have over the last 3 weeks been craving sweet things, so instead of blowing my good work I have instead been using about 1000 of my 1250 calories a day for sweet things, however NONE of these are bad most are from oranges/yogurt coated nuts/fruit puree/ fruit nuggets and in 3 weeks I have not lost an ounce of weight.

On one day I ate 12 oranges but it was in my calorie allowance and 4 oranges at each meal instead of actual meals.

Can anyone shed some light on this as I really thought a calorie was a calorie and yes I know better calories are more healthy but I was still consuming the SAME amount for the 3 weeks ....... please help

Many thanks
    Sasha
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    2rx9mpy.jpg

Pretty much says it all
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I don't know why I find these arguments so entertaining.

I continue to be amazed by how similar these discussions are to arguments about religion. To the zealots there is only one true path to good health and it is their duty to convert as many as possible to their views to save them from damnation. We even have the predictors of apocalypse...our food supply is full of evil and it will be the downfall of human kind.
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    Can anyone shed some light on this as I really thought a calorie was a calorie and yes I know better calories are more healthy but I was still consuming the SAME amount for the 3 weeks ....... please help

Many thanks
    Sasha

Read my post which is 1 above you. A calorie is a calorie, but it's better if the calorie comes from a healthy source as opposed to an unhealthy source.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I am just asking this and it isn't really relating to the OP thread and please don't reply with sarcasm as I really want to understand.

I am on 1250 calories a day and have been losing around 2 - 3 pounds a week every week (need to lose 100 lbs in total) and have lost continuously for 123 days 45 lbs in total.

My 1250 calories were mainly protein with some fruit and veg and a small amount of carbs.

I have over the last 3 weeks been craving sweet things, so instead of blowing my good work I have instead been using about 1000 of my 1250 calories a day for sweet things, however NONE of these are bad most are from oranges/yogurt coated nuts/fruit puree/ fruit nuggets and in 3 weeks I have not lost an ounce of weight.

On one day I ate 12 oranges but it was in my calorie allowance and 4 oranges at each meal instead of actual meals.

Many thanks
    Sasha

12 oranges...how much did each one weigh????

an average orange of 131 g is 62 calories and 12 would be 744 calories...that's a lot of calories...esp if you only have 1250...

As for not losing weight in 3 weeks it happens...I have gone 4-5 weeks without losing weight then lose 1/2lb one week then 2 the week after that...weight loss is not linear...

yogurt covered nuts, fruit puree and fruit nuggest are high in calories...how do you know you are eating 1250 are you weighing everything?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,926 Member
    Options

Many thanks
    Sasha

Read my post which is 1 above you. A calorie is a calorie, but it's better if the calorie comes from a healthy source as opposed to an unhealthy source.
    Nobody that I know on this site disputes that.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    My calorie is better than your calorie

2nu3781.gif
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

It certainly is ambiguous - it does not take into account micro nutrients.

I strongly believe that the principle of IIFYM works just fine and that most people on it are NOT idiots who eat nutrient deficient food 100% of the time - it's just to chuck that 'only the Macro's matter' phrase in for every scenario is...... well ambiguous.
    Micro nutrients all n all are covered when you hit your macros and in any country that is not deemed 3rd world or a developing nation it is not an issue....I mean really when was the last time you had scurvy? or another disease caused my micro nutrient deficency...

You are reaching here and I am not playing this game with you....

My only argument (or mild disagreement) with that would be - if you are a body builder - or someone maintaining or eating in a surplus then yes consuming upwards of 2,000; 2,500 or 3,000 calories eating to a just a Macro's philosophy then absolutely you would probably be getting all of your macro nutrients and everything else would be just gravy.

However a lot of people are eating between 1200 and 2000 calories and if they were eating whatever they wanted they might not be.

I know with proper IIFYM followers they eat healthy - I'm just saying that a blanket statement is ambiguous.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    From the OP's profile...

"I want to share my knowledge, but particularly spread the word of Dr. Lustig and Ludwig, the two doctors who are pioneering educating the country about the dangers of sugar and the role of it in the obesity......"

'nuff said...........
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Quoting directly from the link:

"Researchers did not discount the importance of calories, instead suggesting that choosing high-quality foods (and decreasing consumption of lower-quality foods) is an important factor in helping individuals consume fewer calories."

This about sums it up. Don't eat 10 Big Macs a day if you only need 1800 calories but don't worry about working in a Big Mac every now and then.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    oh my word..why do these threads keep popping up? Join a "a calorie is NOT a calorie!!!!!!!!!!!!!" group. Please!!

Oh she has a group and a glance of the posts there will show you how ridiculous it is.

I am not even sure she is a real person at this point. She is a manifestation of the souls from those who have died due to the TOXIC NATURE OF SUGAR.

Ugh..to all of you guys that answered me; that's unfortunate that there are groups dedicated to this yet this crap still finds its way into the regular forums.

The reason I have issues with this is because it can potentially cause people to cut out foods that they love, when that is unncessary. When you cut those things out, you are more likely to binge at some point, and fail. Hit your macros, stay within your calorie goal, throw healthy foods in there from time to time, and you'll be fine. If you have special dietary needs or have a specific condition you need to see a dietician or a doctor.

Once you start with the "a calorie is not a calorie" thing, you have lost focus and are overcomplicating things. Things that don't matter.

That is all.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    From OP's post in another topic:

"Certain foods can make you gain weight even though they may be low in calories"

NO.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    :yawn:
  • Curlysasha
    Options
    Thank you, I weigh and count EVERY SINGLE THING I consume, I am home all day as I have an injury so I have the time to do it 100% right.
    I did use 744 calories on oranges yes bu it was within my calories and I was actually under by 89 calories that day.
    I buy my fruit puree and fruit nuggets already made and with no added sugar and preservatives and put down everything I eat.
    The yogurt coated nuts are in the form of a bar from the eat natural range and are 172 calories per bar so I know I have my math correct when I log my food.
    Thank you for your reply.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Types of food you eat impact satiety, and keeping satiated will help people not eat more calories. While you can lose weight on the twinkie diet, I'd be hungry all the time (nevermind that I'd likely be in a coma from all the sugar). However, I can eat a lot of nutrient dense food to fill up and keep me satiated, and still have room for my treats. Satiety is very individual, and what people eat to keep them on track varies greatly. Find what works for you and do it.

ETA: And in, because I need some entertainment today.
  • Curlysasha
    Options
    But if a calorie is indeed a calorie (which I know it is) why do I not lose weight on sweet calories and just on protein kind of calories? I lost 90 lbs about 18 years ago and I lost every week by eating a protein based diet with low carbs, and yet this time I am doing the same thing and losing it the same EXCEPT when I have a high fruit content week/s even though most of the high fruit days I am consuming less calories than a lean protein week?
    It is so confusing.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,926 Member
    Options
    But if a calorie is indeed a calorie (which I know it is) why do I not lose weight on sweet calories and just on protein kind of calories? I lost 90 lbs about 18 years ago and I lost every week by eating a protein based diet with low carbs, and yet this time I am doing the same thing and losing it the same EXCEPT when I have a high fruit content week/s even though most of the high fruit days I am consuming less calories than a lean protein week?
    It is so confusing.
    How your body react to food has nothing to do with what a calories is but more to do with your individual metabolism and genetics and the foods that may effect you. People that have <pcos and diabetes lose weight slower. Personally <i find that when <i drop my carbs to about 25% it helps me to keep from carb binging.........basically for me it's a satiating diet which allows me to control my caloric intake better. You need to make adjustments that allows you to make those small differences that can mean a lot.
  • Alicia_Monique
    Alicia_Monique Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    chese2.gif
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    It is so confusing.
    For one thing, you have PCOS, and hormone imbalances will affect how your body reacts to foods. Usually PCOS sufferers have to have a few less calories than the calculators give them, and they do better on lower (but not LOW) carb.

Considering you mentioned that you have basically started eating only fruit, I would think that is one of the worst diets you could follow. Also, with no/little intake of protein, you will find it difficult to maintain lean muscle mass. Nevermind that you wouldn't have any fat either, which is required for proper nutrient absorption and keeping your colon working properly. Have you spoken to a doctor about your diet? It does not seem healthy in any way.