Do yourself a favor!

Options

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Seem like it'd be excessive thinking to just overestimate. (which i do not have time for)
    It seriously takes 30 seconds to weigh a bowl of chips. :p

Digital scales are waaay better and accurate than the springy ones.

30 seconds just to weigh some chips? Ok, well it took me 29 seconds to estimate my food amounts. Point proven.

Yes point proven it takes less time to be wrong and more time to be correct.

Oh for goodness sake. My argument is that overestimating is better than being completely correct. Next....
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I'm still resisting weighing my food. I don't disagree with the arguments in favor of this, but it just seems like a hassle and a mess.

Here's my justification: Every thing is an estimate. The number of calories you're supposed to eat is an estimate based in part on your activity level. That's going to change from day to day. If you eat back your exercise calories, that calorie burn is an estimate and even if you eat back only a portion of them that percentage is arbitrary. How much is it really going to matter if your calorie intake is precise when everything else isn't?
  • skinniestminniest
    Options
    But then you also reach your calorie limit faster by overestimating... you could have had room for another snack in there if you logged accurately. Or an extra serving of something else.

I'd rather weigh all my food and KNOW that I can have a dish of pistachio ice cream at night that fits within my calories than guess on everything and think I've reach my daily calories when I haven't.

Accuracy is always going to beat estimating.

"But then you also reach your calorie limit faster by overestimating"

10 bonus points to you sherlock (isnt that the point of what I am saying?)

But I thought that losing weight was about eating less, not filling up with pistachio ice cream where possible.

On the contrary, so many people on here always complain that they are 'doing everything possible to lose weight', 'following all the rules', 'weighing to the nearest milligram' etc, but STILL cant lose weight.

Just imagine if these people had overestimated... the world would be have been a much happier place.

Losing weight isn't about making yourself miserable and never having anything that you crave or want. I love ice cream. I'm still going to eat ice cream whether I'm trying to lose weight or not.

Whether you're attempting to lose weight or not, you still have to EAT and fuel your body with the proper amount of calories. Overestimating can put you under and I'd rather eat the right amount of calories accurately than overestimate and be undereating by a hundred or more.

I'm already eating less food to lose weight... why make it EVEN less by overestimating.
  • fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    All of this. So true.
    (Although favor just looks so wrong to an english person *favour*)
  • skinniestminniest
    Options
    I'm still resisting weighing my food. I don't disagree with the arguments in favor of this, but it just seems like a hassle and a mess.

Here's my justification: Every thing is an estimate. The number of calories you're supposed to eat is an estimate based in part on your activity level. That's going to change from day to day. If you eat back your exercise calories, that calorie burn is an estimate and even if you eat back only a portion of them that percentage is arbitrary. How much is it really going to matter if your calorie intake is precise when everything else isn't?

I totally hear you. I dragged my feet for the last six months on purchasing a scale because I thought it was too time consuming and far too obsessive for me. But then I stopped losing weight and have been stalled at the same weight for 2 months.

So I bought a food scale, took the extra time to measure everything out, and I saw a 1.5 lb decrease this week.

Everyone does something different. I had success in not weighing my food, but I want to see faster progress and I personally find that, for me, weighing my food out will help. Eating over my calories a few times a week (which I KNOW I was doing, as much as I tried to not admit it) has slowed me down. Majorly.
  • eldamiano
    Options
    But then you also reach your calorie limit faster by overestimating... you could have had room for another snack in there if you logged accurately. Or an extra serving of something else.

I'd rather weigh all my food and KNOW that I can have a dish of pistachio ice cream at night that fits within my calories than guess on everything and think I've reach my daily calories when I haven't.

But I thought that losing weight was about eating less, not filling up with pistachio ice cream where possible.

On the contrary, so many people on here always complain that they are 'doing everything possible to lose weight', 'following all the rules', 'weighing to the nearest milligram' etc, but STILL cant lose weight.

Just imagine if these people had overestimated... the world would be have been a much happier place.

Losing weight isn't about making yourself miserable and never having anything that you crave or want. I love ice cream. I'm still going to eat ice cream whether I'm trying to lose weight or not.

Whether you're attempting to lose weight or not, you still have to EAT and fuel your body with the proper amount of calories. Overestimating can put you under and I'd rather eat the right amount of calories accurately than overestimate and be undereating by a hundred or more.

I'm already eating less food to lose weight... why make it EVEN less by overestimating.

Where did I mention having to be miserable? Is a scoop of ice cream the definition of misery?

"Whether you're attempting to lose weight or not, you still have to EAT and fuel your body with the proper amount of calories."

Yeah..... I think I get that. I am not talking about overestimating a 50 calorie portion by 500 calories. I am talking of overestimating a 250 calorie portion by say 50 calories or by 3-5% of your daily allowance. It has a big difference without changing your weight reducing lifestyle by anything more than minimal amounts.

And then guess what? If you did happen to lose weight quicker, then that extra scoop of pistachio ice cream will be coming your way sooner than you know it!!
  • DuckDynastyMakesMeLaugh
    Options
    Check out this video regarding measuring vs. weighing ……. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY.

ps. The SWAG method does not work for me…Scientific Wild *kitten* Guessing! :drinker:
  • eldamiano
    Options
    Check out this video regarding measuring vs. weighing ……. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY.

ps. The SWAG method does not work for me…Scientific Wild *kitten* Guessing! :drinker:

Havent got enough time to watch people weighing....
  • KatAdele
    KatAdele Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I use my scale on some things but not others. My losses have slowed down so maybe I need to be weighing more often again....
  • skinniestminniest
    Options

Where did I mention having to be miserable? Is a scoop of ice cream the definition of misery?

"Whether you're attempting to lose weight or not, you still have to EAT and fuel your body with the proper amount of calories."

Yeah..... I think I get that. I am not talking about overestimating a 50 calorie portion by 500 calories. I am talking of overestimating a 250 calorie portion by say 50 calories or by 3-5% of your daily allowance. It has a big difference without changing your weight reducing lifestyle by anything more than minimal amounts.

And then guess what? If you did happen to lose weight quicker, then that extra scoop of pistachio ice cream will be coming your way sooner than you know it!!

The point of my post was that I WAS overestimating before. I was rounding everything up, rather than down, and I wasn't losing weight. I've been stalled out for 2 months, stuck at the same weight, using your estimation method. It didn't work for me.

I bought a scale and I'm down 1.5 lbs this week.

You don't have to buy a scale. No one's forcing you. But I think it's a good investment and hell of a lot of people here agree. It's what works for us. If it's not what you want to do, then you don't have to.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

you don't even know if you are over estimating you could be under estimating...and if you are over estimating you don't know by how much...

You don't want to weigh we get that...don't..doesn't matter to us we really don't care we are just suggesting it's a good tool to have if you want to lose weight and you can't deny that...
  • eldamiano
    Options

you don't even know if you are over estimating you could be under estimating...and if you are over estimating you don't know by how much...

You don't want to weigh we get that...don't..doesn't matter to us we really don't care we are just suggesting it's a good tool to have if you want to lose weight and you can't deny that...

Depends. I still stand by the point above.

"On the contrary, so many people on here always complain that they are 'doing everything possible to lose weight', 'following all the rules', 'weighing to the nearest milligram' etc, but STILL cant lose weight.

Just imagine if these people had overestimated... the world would be have been a much happier place."
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Seem like it'd be excessive thinking to just overestimate. (which i do not have time for)

30 seconds just to weigh some chips? Ok, well it took me 29 seconds to estimate my food amounts. Point proven.

LAZY.
  • cardosium
    cardosium Posts: 25 Member
    Options

It's not a time competition, is an accuracy competition. Sorry, you lose.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

"On the contrary, so many people on here always complain that they are 'doing everything possible to lose weight', 'following all the rules', 'weighing to the nearest milligram' etc, but STILL cant lose weight.

Just imagine if these people had overestimated... the world would be have been a much happier place."

Yes they "say" they are doing everything right and when you look at their diary they aren't weighing everything...and using quick adds and eating over, not choosing the correct entries, over estimating burns and eating them all, not logging for days or on weekends...

it does come down to being accurate and being in a deficet and it is easier to do that when you are 99% sure instead of being 80% sure...

As I said you don't want to use a scale ...don't we really don't care...it's an individaul choice but you will be in the very small minority who feels it isn't a "useful tool"....
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Or... dont buy a scale, and overestimate. If you can do this, it will work in your favour, because you will be consuming just 100g of chips instead of your recorded 125g, drinking 250ml of juice instead of your recorded 400ml.

Then with the money that you havent wasted on a scale, you can go out and treat yourself afterwards!! Double whammy or what?!!!

I like.
  • eldamiano
    Options

LAZY.

Yep. I really regret doing those marathons instead of weighing my food....
  • eldamiano
    Options

Yes they "say" they are doing everything right and when you look at their diary they aren't weighing everything...and using quick adds and eating over, not choosing the correct entries, over estimating burns and eating them all, not logging for days or on weekends...

it does come down to being accurate and being in a deficet and it is easier to do that when you are 99% sure instead of being 80% sure...

As I said you don't want to use a scale ...don't we really don't care...it's an individaul choice but you will be in the very small minority who feels it isn't a "useful tool"....

What? How can you tell people arent weight from looking at a food diary? Do you secretly stalk them too?
  • tegalicious
    tegalicious Posts: 629
    Options
    Yay!! It's Friday!! Time for me to grab some popcorn and enjoy the sights!!!
  • SezxyStef
    Options

What? How can you tell people arent weight from looking at a food diary? Do you secretly stalk them too?

yes I am a diary stalker/creeper amg...

If someone posts on the forums help I am not losing weight the first thing to do is go to their diary...ah hello...if it's open I look...if it's not I ask questions...

You can tell people don't weigh food by the entries like 1/2c of cheese or med banana or homemade chinese food or whatever..

Why do you care?