Do yourself a favor!

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Yes they "say" they are doing everything right and when you look at their diary they aren't weighing everything...and using quick adds and eating over, not choosing the correct entries, over estimating burns and eating them all, not logging for days or on weekends...

it does come down to being accurate and being in a deficet and it is easier to do that when you are 99% sure instead of being 80% sure...

As I said you don't want to use a scale ...don't we really don't care...it's an individaul choice but you will be in the very small minority who feels it isn't a "useful tool"....

What? How can you tell people arent weight from looking at a food diary? Do you secretly stalk them too?

yes I am a diary stalker/creeper amg...

If someone posts on the forums help I am not losing weight the first thing to do is go to their diary...ah hello...if it's open I look...if it's not I ask questions...

You can tell people don't weigh food by the entries like 1/2c of cheese or med banana or homemade chinese food or whatever..

Why do you care?

I dont... really. I am just responding to you. Why do you end everything with something so dismissive like 'I dont care', Why do you care?'

because I am dismissing you and your posts....as silly and just plain ignorant...ignorant meaning lack of knowledge...I can tolerate stupid...that can be helped with education, but the "willful ignorance" you are embracing is beyond contempt...

Thank you for the lesson in life. I am not being ignorant though. I have responded to all of your posts. Explain my lack of knowledge directly or please keep quiet...

Lack of knowledge is visible in your first post...after that it just gets reiterated time and time again...because if you think you can "over estimate" your intake consistently and accurately that is ignorance.

Responding to posts does not show "non-ignorance" it shows you are a right fighter who has to be correct...

Continuing to post about how a scale is not a good tool in weight loss again shows your ignorance in what is and isn't a good tool in weight loss...

and this of course
    i say you're completely trolling this thread lol and we're just arguing with you for your entertainment..
    bc there's absolutely no way anyone would waste their precious "marathon time" on the boards proving someone can be this dense. :/

It has been a bit entertaining in fact but now it's just getting old and again we don't care if you choose to use a scale...you will be one of the few who is on that side of the fence...
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Or... dont buy a scale, and overestimate. If you can do this, it will work in your favour, because you will be consuming just 100g of chips instead of your recorded 125g, drinking 250ml of juice instead of your recorded 400ml.

Then with the money that you havent wasted on a scale, you can go out and treat yourself afterwards!! Double whammy or what?!!!

A kitchen scale is not just for weight loss. It is a valuable tool for anyone who likes to cook especially baking.
  • PunkyDucky
    PunkyDucky Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to figure out how it takes 30 seconds to measure out anything....more like 10.
    i counted the time it takes to pick a bowl, get your chips, tare it and weigh lol..

it takes less but i was trying to prove a point on accuracy to that knuckle head of a troll.
  • mediamogulsteve
    mediamogulsteve Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I would take this a step further and say weigh your cooking vessels before and after you put food in them. That way when a recipe serves something other than 2, 4 or 8, you can find the weight of each serving and be more accurate. I suck when trying to estimate thirds or any other "odd" fraction.
  • SpencersHeart
    SpencersHeart Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I bought a simple one for $5 at Walmart. A measuring cup that sits on top of a spring scale... So far best $5 I've spent. Estimating or guessing doesn't give you the accuracy you need when you're managing weight.

Boom. Me too. Works just fine for me right now, but I'm thinking of getting a digital one for baking measurements.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I got the same one too ( the $5 one) and now I'm also thinking of upgrading to a digital one. I got the $5 one as a test drive. :flowerforyou:
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to figure out how it takes 30 seconds to measure out anything....more like 10.
    i counted the time it takes to pick a bowl, get your chips, tare it and weigh lol..

it takes less but i was trying to prove a point on accuracy to that knuckle head of a troll.

:) I know. I wasn't bashing you or anything.

I guess my point was that it doesn't take any more time to weigh than it does to count out a serving and weighing is more accurate obviously.
  • monstergirl14
    monstergirl14 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I keep forgetting!! I even work at Walmart part time, for crying out loud
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Check out this video regarding measuring vs. weighing ……. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY.

ps. The SWAG method does not work for me…Scientific Wild *kitten* Guessing! :drinker:

Yes!
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Who the hell uses this app without food scale? Its like going to the war without weapons haha!
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Its on the list right after new workout shoes + insoles.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I will never understand why people so often come into threads and start arguing instantly. . .

I weigh a lot of non-cup-measurable foods, like cheese, bread, chips, cereal, etc. It was fortunate that at around the same time I started trying to lose weight, my fiance bought a high-quality digital scale for weighing materials for one of his hobbies (making and molding miniatures). Otherwise I probably would never have a scale because I rebel against weighing and measuring things naturally, but I do that because I realize that I might not lose weight otherwise.

I have always been unusually good at estimating quantities (something I've proven over and over by giving myself what I think is a certain amount of something, then measuring it, and finding that I'm often right) so once I've done this for a while longer I think I'll be able to fairly safely estimate the right amounts of things I'm eating. It takes a lot of practice.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I would take this a step further and say weigh your cooking vessels before and after you put food in them. That way when a recipe serves something other than 2, 4 or 8, you can find the weight of each serving and be more accurate. I suck when trying to estimate thirds or any other "odd" fraction.

Ah! Most excellent idea. I've been annoyed by having to guess at serving numbers when I put in recipes. This is a good solution, although figuring the weight of a serving will still be a bit time-consuming. I guess it's better to spend my time weighing things a few times rather than spending 1/2 hour every night wondering if my serving size was accurate. :frown:
  • therinna
    therinna Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    why get a food scale if you don't even know how much or how less to put on the scale? i guess i could do research
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why people even bother counting calories if they don't use a scale. Frankly they'd be better off just trying another diet or eat low carb or something (and avoid sweets or anything high calorie really).. because at least that way they'd be less likely to overeat.

Unless they have eyeballing super powers but I frankly doubt many of us do... because really, with a 500 calorie deficit, it's very easy to eat close to maintenance if you don't weigh your food.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    This thread is silly.

Weighing is clearly more accurate .... i dont think anyone can argue it is not with a straight face.

I don't weight everything anymore. I eat a lot of the same snacks, so I eyeball it. I also only have 9 more lbs to lose. If I wasn't losing or it was stalling, I'd start weighing everything again.

But how can you not weigh meats, carbs?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why people even bother counting calories if they don't use a scale. Frankly they'd be better off just trying another diet or eat low carb or something (and avoid sweets or anything high calorie really).. because at least that way they'd be less likely to overeat.

Unless they have eyeballing super powers but I frankly doubt many of us do... because really, with a 500 calorie deficit, it's very easy to eat close to maintenance if you don't weigh your food.

I lost 65lbs without using a scale. It was actually pretty easy. Didn't use a scale until I only had 10 to go, and then for a bulking phase. Was actually pretty easy.
  • skinniestminniest
    Options
    why get a food scale if you don't even know how much or how less to put on the scale? i guess i could do research

Say 1 serving size is a 1/2 cup of cottage cheese. You'd measure out a half cup, but use the scale to find out how much it is in grams or ounces because that is far more accurate than a 'cup' measurement. Sometimes a cup can weigh more than the serving size in grams, therefore it's more calories than are printed on the label for 1/2 cup.
  • jmv7117
    Options

Sometimes you have to eyeball the amount because weighing is not possible which is one reason to learn what a serving size looks like. We eat out a couple of times a week so weighing those meals would be difficult. There's no reason not to log those calories though.
  • jmv7117
    Options
    Who the hell uses this app without food scale? Its like going to the war without weapons haha!

In fairness, not everyone feels the need to weigh their food especially if they are reaching their weight loss goals. I'm personally weighing mine when possible until I reach my goal weight and then will likely weigh sporadically. I do however and have for quite some time (prior to losing weight) weigh ingredients for certain recipes that I want to consistently be the same each time they are made. That won't change. The ones who really need to weigh their foods are those who have reached a plateau or appear to be doing everything right. The reason they are not losing is because there isn't a calorie deficit. They are underestimating the calories consumed and overestimating the calories burned. A food scale will confirm they are underestimating their calories consumed.
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Options

Ah! Most excellent idea. I've been annoyed by having to guess at serving numbers when I put in recipes. This is a good solution, although figuring the weight of a serving will still be a bit time-consuming. I guess it's better to spend my time weighing things a few times rather than spending 1/2 hour every night wondering if my serving size was accurate. :frown:

When I enter my recipes in to MFP, I use the # of total ounces of food as the number of people the recipe serves. So, one ounce of food = one serving.

That way, I can measure out 8 ounces of soup and log that I had 8 servings. For me, that's the most accurate way of doing things, since sometimes maybe I only want a little bit of something, and sometimes I want A LOT of it. I'm not restricted by a "serving size".