Replies

• fit_war
    fit_war Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    well.. im 5`3.............. everybody is tall for me LOL :huh:
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8 and always been told I am tall.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I think it is mostly personal perspective.

Or, another way to consider it is if a woman needs to wear "long" as opposed to "average" or "petite" clothing. But I'm 5'6 and wear long because I have long legs and a shorter waist.

Personally I think 5'8 for a woman is tall.
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I'd say one standard deviation from the mean would be enough to qualify as tall (or short...).

Best data I could find was at http://www.econ.upf.edu/docs/papers/downloads/1002.pdf which shows standard deviation being right around 2.5-3 inches. Mean height for males is 5'10" and females is 5'4", so anywhere north of 6'1" for males and 5'7" for females is tall. North of 6'4" or 5'10" (two standard deviations from the mean) would qualify as extremely tall.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    The average heights in England are 5'4.5'' (f) and 5'9.5'' (m). So I guess tall starts above these figures.
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I'd go with the average height in your locale. Heck, if you're into stats, go into 1 SD over the mean for height.

My wife is 5'6". She's short for her family (dutch/polish descent). And yet when we travel she towers over the bathroom stalls. So your mileage may vary :)
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11" I'd say tall starts at 6'1" for men, probably 5'8" for women.

Side note: I've long observed two things about women and height. 1) Women don't want to be seen with a man who is less tall than she is, even if he's not really short. When I see a 6'2" woman, she is always with a man 6'3" or taller. 2) This seems to matter more to women than to men. Am I wrong?

As a tall, substantial woman, I can say that if I was picky about this, I'd probably never date LOL I've been out with men ranging from 5'6"-6'9"

That being said, I do get pretty irritated when I meet other women who are quite short, who insist on dating men taller than me. My experience has been that after a certain point, a lot of tall men prefer taller women as well. My last two boyfriends thought the fact that I was nearly eye to eye and easy to kiss was just fannnnnntastic LOL
  • Quasita
    Options
    I'd go with the average height in your locale. Heck, if you're into stats, go into 1 SD over the mean for height.

My wife is 5'6". She's short for her family (dutch/polish descent). And yet when we travel she towers over the bathroom stalls. So your mileage may vary :)

That's funny, my family is mostly Polish/Lithuanian, and *I* am short for MY family. Almost everyone in my immediate family is taller than 6'1". it's weird!
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Totally subjective. I'm 5'9.5 and whether I fee tall or not is totally dependent upon who I'm around. My sister is the shortest in our family at 5;7", and my brother is the tallest at 6'4". So around them, I'm not tall.

However, when I'm at work, I'm the tallest woman in my department, by at least five inches. So there, I feel tall.
  • djstatick
    djstatick Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am 6'6", so everyone is short to me. I'd say, for most people, women would be 5'9" and men would be 6'0".
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I dated someone who was shorter than me though, once upon a time, and he ended up hating my height. He put me down, made me feel bad about it, would get upset if my shoes had any heel to them. It was really hard on me. That relationship didn't last and made me nervy about considering dating someone shorter than me again.
    Good for you for finding the right guy. I find height in women an attractive trait (as you said, think model) but as luck would have it, I fell in love with a woman who is 5'4".

I just can't imagine that height would be a serious factor in mate selection for women or for men but I guess it is for some.
  • Quasita
    Options
    I dated someone who was shorter than me though, once upon a time, and he ended up hating my height. He put me down, made me feel bad about it, would get upset if my shoes had any heel to them. It was really hard on me. That relationship didn't last and made me nervy about considering dating someone shorter than me again.
    Good for you for finding the right guy. I find height in women an attractive trait (as you said, think model) but as luck would have it, I fell in love with a woman who is 5'4".

I just can't imagine that height would be a serious factor in mate selection for women or for men but I guess it is for some.

Well, it does have some merit on an instinctual attraction level. Height and size is biologically associated with good health and the ability to protect. Now, with the way we have influenced natural selection and such, it is not so cut and dry anymore.

I can attest to the fact that I find taller people attractive moreso than shorter ones. For me, it's about finding someone I can relate to, who I don't feel awkward and odd around. Personality-wise, I'm fine, but for me, dating someone much shorter than me makes me very conscious of my size. I don't like feeling like I might break the person I'm with :S
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    I am 6' 0" and seem to be on the tall side of average. I verify this every Sunday at church when we stand.

I have a friend that is 6' 8" tall. He constantly gets asked if he played basketball. He looks down at them and says, "No I didn't. Did you play mini-golf?"

Makes me laugh every time.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I can attest to the fact that I find taller people attractive moreso than shorter ones. For me, it's about finding someone I can relate to, who I don't feel awkward and odd around. Personality-wise, I'm fine, but for me, dating someone much shorter than me makes me very conscious of my size. I don't like feeling like I might break the person I'm with :S
    I understand. I too find tallness to be an attractive trait. It's just that my 5'4" wife and I are so compatible, I can't imagine that if she were 6'4" that we would have rejected one another.
  • _MG_
    _MG_ Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that is 6' 8" tall. He constantly gets asked if he played basketball. He looks down at them and says, "No I didn't. Did you play mini-golf?"

Makes me laugh every time.

That's ****ing funny!
  • HermioneDanger118
    HermioneDanger118 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11" I'd say tall starts at 6'1" for men, probably 5'8" for women.

Side note: I've long observed two things about women and height. 1) Women don't want to be seen with a man who is less tall than she is, even if he's not really short. When I see a 6'2" woman, she is always with a man 6'3" or taller. 2) This seems to matter more to women than to men. Am I wrong?

As a tall, substantial woman, I can say that if I was picky about this, I'd probably never date LOL I've been out with men ranging from 5'6"-6'9"

That being said, I do get pretty irritated when I meet other women who are quite short, who insist on dating men taller than me. My experience has been that after a certain point, a lot of tall men prefer taller women as well. My last two boyfriends thought the fact that I was nearly eye to eye and easy to kiss was just fannnnnntastic LOL

I agree with all of this! I've had the same experience, though the shortest I've dated is 5'9 (I'm 5'10).
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    I'm about 5'7 1/2 and I constantly get called short at Volleyball (but I can still block on a guy's regulation height net).... But then at work -I'm called tall because most my coworkers (mostly women) are about 5'3 or 5'2

So, it also depends on whom you're surrounded by - basketball, volleyball players or non - sports people :-D

^ THIS. so, so this. i'm 5'7" and am definitely above average height for a woman but i'm like an amazon next to most of my girlfriends (who, on average, are about 5'2"-5'3"). i consider men under 5'9" to be "short" but it's really all relative.
  • _MG_
    _MG_ Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    My experience has been that after a certain point, a lot of tall men prefer taller women as well. My last two boyfriends thought the fact that I was nearly eye to eye and easy to kiss was just fannnnnntastic LOL

I love it when the wife puts on her 4" heels (puts her near 6'3") - It's nice to almost be eye-to-eye
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0. Everyone else looks tall.
    Bahahaha.
    I'm only 3 inches and a half taller than you and everyone still looks taller XD
    My 6f7 uncles would agree.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Tall starts when I stand next to Sin