Beachbody's 21 Day Fix- Don't count calories?!

Options

Replies

• bjune5
    bjune5 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Wow! So many different opinions on this one!
    I can speak from experience because I'm on day 4 of my second round. I lost 10 lbs and 8 inches during my first round.

It clicked with me. Might not for everyone. It is working for me so I will keep doing multiple rounds. I needed help with portion control and this has done it. The 30 minute workouts are tough and straight to the point. I FEEL great and see changes, that's all that's important to me.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Wow, y'all really need to learn about things before you bash them. The 21 Day Fix is more about learning to eat clean and to teach people portion control. Not everyone is great at counting calories every day and portioning things out correctly. Not to mention, you don't have the measurements of anything so how can you say that you're not able to get enough protein or veggies or fruits? You realize you actually get 3 or 4 containers a day with just the protein, right?

Nope, you wouldn't know that because you actually didn't read it. Don't post a load of crap, please. Someone might be coming here for inspiration and you just tore them down. YOU had to start somewhere too.

Strong first post, coach.
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    but I can really compress food into a container if I really want to... have you ever seen superman crush carbon into diamond? it's like that!

As for it teaching you to eat clean... no chance, I am a filthy girl and I am staying that way!
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Maybe some of the suggested diets that go along with some Beachbody program aren't great (and it's not likey they are the only ones that might suggest eating lower calories)but I never really get why the workouts get bashed so much on here. There are tons of workout programs on DVD, many classes people take at gyms, etc. So what is wrong with Beachbody's specifically? Everyone likes something different so if if certain workouts are enjoyable for people and they get results, why bash the company? No, I'm not a coach, I just happen to like a few of the programs but I also like other one's too.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    One of my FB friends (who is a coach) has been doing it. I don't think it's a bad introduction to portion control, personally, but I would definitely not pay for that... but again, she's lost a lot of weight, works out a lot, has joined weight watcher on and off but doesn't seem to be able to maintain her weight, so I guess she doesn't really know how to eat properly on her own... but I wouldn't really if I didn't log my food either, so who am I to judge?

I don't know about the workout but if it's a good one, I don't see anything wrong with it. I like some beachbody programs.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Wow, y'all really need to learn about things before you bash them. The 21 Day Fix is more about learning to eat clean and to teach people portion control. Not everyone is great at counting calories every day and portioning things out correctly. Not to mention, you don't have the measurements of anything so how can you say that you're not able to get enough protein or veggies or fruits? You realize you actually get 3 or 4 containers a day with just the protein, right?

Nope, you wouldn't know that because you actually didn't read it. Don't post a load of crap, please. Someone might be coming here for inspiration and you just tore them down. YOU had to start somewhere too.

True, but once you spend some time on here learning to track food (while alternately learning to measure) you would get great at it, no?
    It's free here no less.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    Options
    Maybe some of the suggested diets that go along with some Beachbody program aren't great (and it's not likey they are the only ones that might suggest eating lower calories)but I never really get why the workouts get bashed so much on here. There are tons of workout programs on DVD, many classes people take at gyms, etc. So what is wrong with Beachbody's specifically? Everyone likes something different so if if certain workouts are enjoyable for people and they get results, why bash the company? No, I'm not a coach, I just happen to like a few of the programs but I also like other one's too.
    The workout programs are fine. Expensive, but fine. It's the "nutrition" end with an MLM attached to it that irks most here.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I think it's a bad idea.

You mentioned the protein container and how small it is. Well, bison meat for example is a good source of protein but it's relatively high in calories. So you really have absolutely no clue how many calories your taking in, at all.

I say just stick with MFP and weighing out and tracking calories. Save your money and buy yourself a purse or clothes and don't buy into... crap basically.

I have a Beachbody Coach really trying to push it on to me.

I don't weight my food on a scale, but I measure what I can.

Easy way to rectify that problem is to get rid of the "coach"(term used extremely loosely.) They're nothing more than MLM pushers anyway, not very useful for anything.

Rigger
  • stephinexo
    Options

Nice first post.
    Bad opinion.
    Stop.
    <3

So you get to have an opinion but I don't because I don't agree with you?
  • stephinexo
    Options
    I have been following the fix since Saturday. I was pretty skeptical at first but so far I have been really impressed. I basically got the program for free from a friend but even so I think it would have been worth the $60. It has opened my eyes to portion sizes. I am still logging my calories just so I can see what I am eating calorie & macro wise daily and I did not buy into the Shakelogy hype. The workouts are pretty hard and I have been feeling the burn all week. I have lost almost 7lbs so far on it and thats with portion controlled clean eating (averaging 1600 calories a day) plus one of the 30 minute workouts. Not too shabby.

^ This. It's not about anything except learning portion control. YES you CAN do that for free. No, not everyone has the knowledge to be able to do it. This system simply makes it EASIER.
  • stephinexo
    Options

let me guess, you are on day 4.

Actually no, I'm not on day anything.
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    The workout programs are fine. Expensive, but fine. It's the "nutrition" end with an MLM attached to it that irks most here.

I can understand that on some of them, I've just always ignored the nutrition and got them for the workouts so I hate to see the programs get such a bad wrap on here. Yes they can be expensive but so are many other programs and I've gotten some of them cheaper on Ebay or with a Groupon. I also think the coaches get more **** than needed too. Yes, 'coach' might not be the best word but many of them don't deserve the **** they get on here. A lot of them do have great intentions and just as much knowledge(some more) than a lot of the so called know it alls here. I just happen to really like my coach so if I'm going to buy something it's because I want it and if she gets commision for it,then why the hell not it go to her and not all to Beachbody. She happens to also be studying to be a personal trainer so I think people should stop assuming the worst of the BB coaches. I know there are some pushy ones out there that only care about one thing but they aren't all like that so it's a shame that is all everyone assumes at first.
  • stephinexo
    Options

One doesn't need to spend $100 on containers for inspiration though. There is more than enough sufficient information on this site to learn how to eat in correct portions and "clean" eating (which really has no definition) without forking out money.
    I mean how hard is it to buy measured containers? Beach body workouts are free on youtube. And coaching? Lol, most coaches couldn't show you how to do a correct squat much less coach someone on how to do it correctly.
    ANY program works if followed. It's cool that the program here encourages portion control, but does it have a container for ice cream, cake, or cookies?

IDEA Fitness member

No, it doesn't. The whole point of the program is to teach portion control and clean eating.
  • stephinexo
    Options
    Y'all have your opinion and for some reason it's wrong to have my own. Don't knock something until you try it and just because it won't work for you doesn't mean it won't work for someone else. Good for you that you are able to count your calories and weigh your food and have your 6 pack. YOU also started somewhere. If someone is trying to lose weight, that's all that matters. If it works, great. If not, you can return the program for a 100% refund. So really you lose nothing if it doesn't work. I guarantee you it does work if you put the time in and are eating healthy.
  • jencroki
    jencroki Posts: 30
    Options
    I recently became one of the "ohhhh so evil coaches", and true not every one of us is there for the money, we really enjoy their products (being a customer for 2 yrs), and I want to help other people achieve their goals, I had learned a lot about exercising and proper nutrition and I'm even going to try to get certified for Body Combat. The products worked for me but like anything you need to follow and commit to your exercising and proper nutrition.

I read somewhere about the calorie intake per program and each being calculated different...yes and there's a reason for that...each program has a different intensity level, so the calorie calculation are going to differ (also ones are more protein intake base, others low carb and so on, for the same reason)...you can't do Insanity and eat 1200 calories...

Second beachbody comes with new programs not to re-invent the wheel but to keep people interested....you can't just do the same routine for years and years your body need variety....yes it is a business, but not everybody likes to go to the gym so that's why they offer this option.

Going back to the Actual topic :) the 21 day fix was created to simplify things, not everybody is an expert in nutrition so this helps a lot (portion control was my biggest struggled)...I got curious about it and decided to give it a try and I loved it, once you get the hang of it is pretty easy to follow. Yes you don't count calories, the only time you "count" is when calculating your calorie range to know how many of each container you are going to eat every day. Each colored container represent a food group (Green - veggies, purple -fruits ,red - protein..etc) and bases on your range it will tell you the amount you should eat to achieve results...it also have a list of food per containers, you can make recipes and mix stuff, you can eat chocolate (in moderation), is not limiting you to anything as long as you eat the right portion. The workouts are very varied and intense (from cardio, strength training, Pilates, yoga etc) and is for all fitness levels since every move can be modified.

Not everybody has the knowledge, yes this Fix helps you because it takes away all the calculations, food measurements etc that sometimes make us crazy. But like any exercise program (either at home, or gym) it comes from you and your commitment to get the results you want..

And last yes I've seeing many coaches that are just in this for sales and they are pushy and annoying (I had a few like that) but not every one of us is that way..we believe in the products because they had work for us. MY two cents..now let's the bashing begins! :D
  • stephinexo
    Options
    I recently became one of the "ohhhh so evil coaches", and true not every one of us is there for the money, we really enjoy their products (being a customer for 2 yrs), and I want to help other people achieve their goals, I had learned a lot about exercising and proper nutrition and I'm even going to try to get certified for Body Combat. The products worked for me but like anything you need to follow and commit to your exercising and proper nutrition.

I read somewhere about the calorie intake per program and each being calculated different...yes and there's a reason for that...each program has a different intensity level, so the calorie calculation are going to differ (also ones are more protein intake base, others low carb and so on, for the same reason)...you can't do Insanity and eat 1200 calories...

Second beachbody comes with new programs not to re-invent the wheel but to keep people interested....you can't just do the same routine for years and years your body need variety....yes it is a business, but not everybody likes to go to the gym so that's why they offer this option.

Going back to the Actual topic :) the 21 day fix was created to simplify things, not everybody is an expert in nutrition so this helps a lot (portion control was my biggest struggled)...I got curious about it and decided to give it a try and I loved it, once you get the hang of it is pretty easy to follow. Yes you don't count calories, the only time you "count" is when calculating your calorie range to know how many of each container you are going to eat every day. Each colored container represent a food group (Green - veggies, purple -fruits ,red - protein..etc) and bases on your range it will tell you the amount you should eat to achieve results...it also have a list of food per containers, you can make recipes and mix stuff, you can eat chocolate (in moderation), is not limiting you to anything as long as you eat the right portion. The workouts are very varied and intense (from cardio, strength training, Pilates, yoga etc) and is for all fitness levels since every move can be modified.

Not everybody has the knowledge, yes this Fix helps you because it takes away all the calculations, food measurements etc that sometimes make us crazy. But like any exercise program (either at home, or gym) it comes from you and your commitment to get the results you want..

And last yes I've seeing many coaches that are just in this for sales and they are pushy and annoying (I had a few like that) but not every one of us is that way..we believe in the products because they had work for us. MY two cents..now let's the bashing begins! :D

No bashing here. *high-five!*
  • mb4r
    mb4r Posts: 2
    Options
    Of course you don't HAVE to spend money on containers and DVDs. It all depends on what works for you at the time. I can look up free workouts on the web for weightlifting - I didn't need to buy P90X. But you know, Tony is hot. It's easier for me to follow his instructions.

So why did I buy 21 day fix? I've had plenty of success losing weight in the past. First with weight watchers and then with my fitness pal. Well, for me, it's time. I am perfectly capable of weighing and measuring and counting calories. But it takes time to do all of that. I found myself looking for a faster/easier way to do it. Like picking 5 meals a day and having the same "types" of food for each meal. Or creating 5 "stock" meals for each meal and rotating. Looking for an "easy" way of sticking to my # of daily calories. Nothing ever really stuck.

So I have a full time job and two kids. The youngest is 20 months old. He's a ton of work and I just don't have the time to count calories. The easy thing about the system is that I don't have to anymore. Oh, I still "count", but it's not nearly as high. Only as high as the number of containers. What I like about the workouts is the time factor - they are only 30 minutes long. And they are a good workout. I'd like to try T25 sometime too. I have other DVDs. I prefer going to the gym, but my husband and I go at 5:30 am and we take turns. So the videos let me work out in the morning when he's at the gym and the kids are asleep.

Finally: Shakeology. I always thought that was a bit of a racket. I ordered 21 day fix through my coworker who has lost 35 lbs on various programs. I noticed that if I wanted the "fix" program without shakeology, it would take 6-8 weeks. With it: one week. So I opted for it the one week. I am pretty frugal and I make my own meals for far less than $4, so I just figured it was the cost of getting it early. Holy cow, that stuff tastes REALLY good. I am pretty sold. I am unlikely to stay on it for a long period of time (because I'm cheap, and my normal lunch of bean burrito and broccoli costs 90 cents), but it does cut my cravings for chocolate.

Saying people can do it on their own: of course they can. But it's like the difference between people who have gym equipment in their garage or basement and work out at home and people who pay for the gym. I am a people person. I like the gym. I like classes. I do DVDs because I can follow along. On my own, meh, I get bored and rush through things. I have two gym memberships and DVDs that I do and I *still* join a triathlon training team in the summer because I like the group dynamic.
  • 4themoney
    4themoney Posts: 797 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I'm really only quoting and commenting on this for two reasons.
    1. I highly disagree that the programs are expensive. I tried to work out with a trainer, at the cost of 100.00/ session! that's way more expensive! I am now working towards becoming a trainer myself, and i will charge 100/ session. I paid 120 for P90X, and i've had it for 3 years now. Same with T25 and p90x3. Owning these programs cost me way less than working with a trainer for 30+ min 5-6 days per week!

2. i wasn't really sure about the 21 day fix, but then i learned more about it. some people really do struggle with the nutrition part of the equation and counting calories can be overwhelming and frustrating and time consuming. not to mention, either you go with MFPs numbers or you learn enough to know to mess with your cals and macros. but, if you don't know all of that yet, you are stuck with the basic 1200 cals, etc. the 21 day fix, gives you the number of cals you burn per work out, and then the range of cals you SHOULD be eating, and then corresponding number of containers you need to eat to accomplish that. it takes a lot of the work out of it, and for people just starting out that can be a really nice thing.

As for the comments about containers for things like cookies, ice cream, etc. With my 3 years on this site, and my 2 years of educating myself, and my time now spent working towards my NASM certs. I am the first person to say, while yes moderation is important, there are some foods you should stay away from. When you stick to list and ultimately change the way you look at food, and what you like to eat, it can make things MUCH easier!

I haven't touched pizza, bread, pasta, cereal, etc. for 16 months now. I don't miss them. even a little bit. I did eat a decent amount of carbs on Saturday for lunch and that so negatively affected my body that I was unable to stay awake Sat afternoon!!!!!

Different strokes for different folks. Following MFP never worked for me, but changing the way I eat, the way I look at food, getting away from cals in vs cals out, and changing the way I worked out have had very positive effects on me. And STILL cost me way less than working with a trainer and nutritionist ;-)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I'm really only quoting and commenting on this for two reasons.
    1. I highly disagree that the programs are expensive. I tried to work out with a trainer, at the cost of 100.00/ session! that's way more expensive! I am now working towards becoming a trainer myself, and i will charge 100/ session. I paid 120 for P90X, and i've had it for 3 years now. Same with T25 and p90x3. Owning these programs cost me way less than working with a trainer for 30+ min 5-6 days per week!

2. i wasn't really sure about the 21 day fix, but then i learned more about it. some people really do struggle with the nutrition part of the equation and counting calories can be overwhelming and frustrating and time consuming. not to mention, either you go with MFPs numbers or you learn enough to know to mess with your cals and macros. but, if you don't know all of that yet, you are stuck with the basic 1200 cals, etc. the 21 day fix, gives you the number of cals you burn per work out, and then the range of cals you SHOULD be eating, and then corresponding number of containers you need to eat to accomplish that. it takes a lot of the work out of it, and for people just starting out that can be a really nice thing.

As for the comments about containers for things like cookies, ice cream, etc. With my 3 years on this site, and my 2 years of educating myself, and my time now spent working towards my NASM certs. I am the first person to say, while yes moderation is important, there are some foods you should stay away from. When you stick to list and ultimately change the way you look at food, and what you like to eat, it can make things MUCH easier!

I haven't touched pizza, bread, pasta, cereal, etc. for 16 months now. I don't miss them. even a little bit. I did eat a decent amount of carbs on Saturday for lunch and that so negatively affected my body that I was unable to stay awake Sat afternoon!!!!!

Different strokes for different folks. Following MFP never worked for me, but changing the way I eat, the way I look at food, getting away from cals in vs cals out, and changing the way I worked out have had very positive effects on me. And STILL cost me way less than working with a trainer and nutritionist ;-)

I hate to break it to you but if you are losing weight you are still following calories in vs calories out ...
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    Beachbody has a new workout out called 21 Day Fix.

Autumn Calabrese claims that you don't need to count calories if you follow her system.

If you buy the program it comes with 7 color-coded containers and each color stands for something:

Veggies
    Fruits
    Protein
    Carbs
    Healthy Fats and Cheese
    Seeds and Oils
    Shakeology Cup

She says you can what you want everyday but it has to fit into the containers. So fill the containers with food for the day and thats what you get to eat.

The protein container is quite small....

I'm curious as to what people think about this.

Could this actually work?

Edit: I might be reading it wrong though, I think she means fill up each container for each meal. I'm not sure,.

sounds interesting, but if they don't have anyway of adjusting for body weight (obviously a 6'5'' 240 male needs to eat more then a 5'1'' 110 lbs female) then i'm going to have to say its a gimic (as much as i love BB).