Foods from your past- What you know now...

Options
I've had a lot of success using MFP because I've become aware of the calories and portions of what I'm eating now. But all of that went out the window yesterday when I indulged in a medium frosty! 418 calories!!! I used to enjoy these on the regular! A little awareness and accountability go a long way!
The story ends well though; I adjusted my workout routine and dinner portion and finished within 100 calories of my 1500 calorie goal for the day. Whew! :ohwell:

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I find that with Fast food french fries...

I prefer a salad now because they don't taste good enough for all those calories...
  • mrsgoochy
    mrsgoochy Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hah! I had a friend who did that! Don't you just get a kick out what we used to enjoy?! I'm not saying I'll never have one again but I'm considering trying out a recipe with my protein powder and some cocoa powder ;)

I also used to enjoy wine on the regular too but when we decided to clean up our eating, that was the first to go. With no other changes to my old way of eating I lost five pounds in three weeks just from cutting that! This sounds nerdy but using MFP is almost like a game; log your points and 'earn some credits' by working out ;)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    shakes in general, along with lattes & mochas...basically any sugary delicious thing that you drink. I didn't think they were light n' healthy ;-) But I *really* underestimated their calories!!

I never consume them now, because I'd rather have a scoop of ice cream, a small pastry with brewed coffee, or a good piece of chocolate as a (lower cal) treat that is ultimately more satisfying to me.
  • roxielu0422
    roxielu0422 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I went to Costco yesterday and had a slice of pizza. I logged it in today and was in shock. I never thought it was that may calories. BUT the amount of sodium was through the roof. yeah, no more of that!
  • trizzletrix
    trizzletrix Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I used to have a golden syrup sandwich (or two, on buttered thick white bread of course!) as a snack.

The calories...the sugar...the HORROR hahahah
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Wine mostly, in the amounts I was consuming it was not so great haha.
  • kickivale
    kickivale Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I got into a weird phase a few years ago where I drank bottled iced tea every day. Snapple and Arizona mostly. I was HOOKED. Now I have one once in awhile as a treat, and I'm like HOLY MOLY THE SUGAR SITUATION!!
    I had one yesterday for cheat day (along with Burger King, pizza, and mexican LOL WHUUUUT)
  • pinksmama
    pinksmama Posts: 40
    Options
    I've never been naive about the sugar or calorie content of soda but it's always been my one & only vice. Not any longer, being accountable with my calories means I'm not wasting them.

As a side note, it's rare I eat something before checking it's nutritional content, I'm not trying to waste an entire lunch on a drink or really any 1 of something.

There's been a few times but for the most part I check upfront as I deliberate it's worth. :]
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Pretty much everything I love(d) is high calories. Pastries, donuts, ice cream, cheese, bread, pizza, French fries, chicken nuggets, Mexican food, chocolate..

I used to have ribs with French fries and dessert when we went out. I did that for my anniversary dinner last week... 3200 calories total. Yeah it's a once a year thing now, lol.
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Oh jesus, when I was at my heaviest, I would eat Twinkies like it was no big deal, and drink those Snapple Cherry Punch canned "juice".

I tried eating a Twinkie (before all of that Hostess stuff when down) and the smell/taste made my stomach churn.
    The Snapple Cherry Punch? Same thing. It's wild how things that I would eat on a weekly basis just don't agree with me anymore.
  • lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    energy drinks, don't get me wrong i did realise how bad they are just didn't realise the calorie content, i was probably consuming upwards of 1000 calories a day
    i still drink them (trying to get off them but totally addicted) but now drink at least half the amount and switched to sugar free
  • m1ke1984
    m1ke1984 Posts: 15
    Options
    Chinese buffet... usually three plates! yikes. I try not to make anything completely off-limits, and am sure one day I'll go back to the buffet, but will definitely approach the experience with a whole new awareness and appreciation for what I am doing.
  • Jlmervin03
    Jlmervin03 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Starbucks white chocolate mocha is my weakness. i used to drink one everyday. Now I might have one once a week. I figure I save calories and money!
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Reese's cups. The larger ones, and at least 6-8 at a time. *Cringe*
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Chinese buffet... usually three plates! yikes. I try not to make anything completely off-limits, and am sure one day I'll go back to the buffet, but will definitely approach the experience with a whole new awareness and appreciation for what I am doing.

Oh yeah...I shudder to think about the Chinese buffet I used to eat. I thought two plates was taking it easy but I remember getting tons of fried everything and cream cheese wontons and sauce. Then the tiny petit fours for dessert and an almond cookie...oh wow.
  • mrsgoochy
    mrsgoochy Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Starbucks white chocolate mocha is my weakness. i used to drink one everyday. Now I might have one once a week. I figure I save calories and money!

I started using this cheat sheet when I wanted a 'fluffy cofee' as I call it ;)http://www.starbucks.com/menu/nutrition/20-under-200
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    White chocolate mochas (with extra whipped cream, of course!) from Starbucks. Lord!!
  • Workingonmyway
    Workingonmyway Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Definitely juices or drinking my calories in general, they really rake in the calories! I tried pop or juice after cutting them out for a few months and oh my god they're incredibly sweet
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Ugh...Jack-in-the-Box...the glut of trans fat in their food now makes my skin crawl.
  • luca15306
    luca15306 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I definitely used to use pasta as a comfort food, not chips or pizza etc, always pasta, healthy you might think? Not how I measured it.
    Easily half a bag at a time, around 250g I'm guessing, never used to weigh it. Easily well over 1500 calories in pasta alone without the sauce and cheese etc.
    Since going gluten free through choice, I now use gluten free pasta, and not ever more than 60g at a time with plenty of veg, just one of the mistakes I used to make!