Women 55yrs. & older with 75lbs. or more to lose!

Options

Replies

• annglenn
    annglenn Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Good evening ladies a long day for me again today. Today it was picking up new orthotics ( boy my feet are hurting) & a mammogram. I know we all love those don't we. LOL. :sad: And yesterday I had three appointments in a row. So tonight I am just tired. So tomorrow I am planning on taking it easier & replenishing my food supplies. Despite my schedule I got my water in today. :drinker: Have a good evening ladies. :flowerforyou:
  • JosieMomGramma
    JosieMomGramma Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies, some of my comments may seem a bit hard on some of the new people who are commenting & wanting to join this group. But my idea when I started this, was to get a group of ladies who are in a similar age group & who had lots to lose , so we could understand the medical issues & inability to exercise extensively, that cause us to have different struggles while trying to lose. It is hard to encourage & support others if we do not know what they are going through on a day to day basis. It seem we are getting comments & requests to join us of at least 2 people per day. Some are only like 23 years old & some only have under 20 lbs total to lose. I just don't think they can relate to our struggles clearly as most of us can. I am so glad there has been so many of you that have joined & are a real support to me & the rest of the ladies & are dealing with so many of the same issues in diet & exercise. I am sure we who understand will find this group a great help to keep on the right track to our weight loss journey to our goal weights!!
    That said:
    Krazyforyou: Please let us know a little more about yourself, like your age,etc. We are welcoming ladies who are close to age 55+ & have 75lbs or more to lose , or close to that.

dncbev: Yes it is harder to lose as we age , but even harder when you have 50-100+ to lose! I would like to reserve this group for those ladies that are having the same struggles to lose with aging bodies & that have LOTS to lose. I am sure there are other support groups for ladies like yourself who only have 14lbs to goal weight on the Message Board.

Yardtigress! Welcome to the group. Looks like you have similar weight related health issues & the right age to fit in with this group. Thanks for the night time snack suggestions. Look forward to seeing your posts & hope we can help support & encourage each other.

Ann: Wow sounds like you have had quite the medical issue apointments to last a while, lol. Hope you can relax & get back to normal . Good for you for getting your water in while running around!

Tue: Like I said I have 2 upcoming events this week. I am going to the coast 3 hour drive to my grandaughter's birthday party. I am bringing lost of baked goodies, but also a large veggie tray & my own homemade low calorie dip. So I have an alternative to snack on. I also have a potluck dinner for our bowling league season ending party. So I will have to pick wisely for that. There is usually a veggie tray or 2 at these & Chicken. I will just have to save up my calories for that night!! I always bring a case of water bottles to make sure I get my water in while I am away too.
  • ProactiveElder
    ProactiveElder Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Good morning! This looks like the perfect group for me. I'm nearly 66 & have about 80 more pounds to lose. I've been on every diet known to humankind & finally realized that I didn't need any more plans or buy-our-food-and-you'll-lose-weight schemes. I needed to eat in a way that I could sustain indefinitely. The first thing I did was to stop eating sugar. It's like a drug for me--I can't eat just a little bit. Because of how my body reacts, I'm also gluten & dairy free. I eat chicken maybe once a week & eat eggs. It's key for me to have some protein at every meal, whether it's tofu, a handful of nuts or a hardboiled egg. I'm not exercising yet. I work a lot of hours & that gets put on hold. I plan to move exercise up the list soon. I drink plenty of water & I eat about 5 cups of vegies a day--it's amazing how much veg you can eat for very few calories AND fill yourself up! I also realized that, once my cold sore goes away, I will take a picture of myself. I haven't had the nerve to do that in quite awhile! Thanks so much for being here!
  • bettyjoburdett
    bettyjoburdett Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies, some of my comments may seem a bit hard on some of the new people who are commenting & wanting to join this group. But my idea when I started this, was to get a group of ladies who are in a similar age group & who had lots to lose , so we could understand the medical issues & inability to exercise extensively, that cause us to have different struggles while trying to lose. It is hard to encourage & support others if we do not know what they are going through on a day to day basis. It seem we are getting comments & requests to join us of at least 2 people per day. Some are only like 23 years old & some only have under 20 lbs total to lose. I just don't think they can relate to our struggles clearly as most of us can. I am so glad there has been so many of you that have joined & are a real support to me & the rest of the ladies & are dealing with so many of the same issues in diet & exercise. I am sure we who understand will find this group a great help to keep on the right track to our weight loss journey to our goal weights!!
    That said:
    Krazyforyou: Please let us know a little more about yourself, like your age,etc. We are welcoming ladies who are close to age 55+ & have 75lbs or more to lose , or close to that.

dncbev: Yes it is harder to lose as we age , but even harder when you have 50-100+ to lose! I would like to reserve this group for those ladies that are having the same struggles to lose with aging bodies & that have LOTS to lose. I am sure there are other support groups for ladies like yourself who only have 14lbs to goal weight on the Message Board.

Yardtigress! Welcome to the group. Looks like you have similar weight related health issues & the right age to fit in with this group. Thanks for the night time snack suggestions. Look forward to seeing your posts & hope we can help support & encourage each other.

Ann: Wow sounds like you have had quite the medical issue apointments to last a while, lol. Hope you can relax & get back to normal . Good for you for getting your water in while running around!

Tue: Like I said I have 2 upcoming events this week. I am going to the coast 3 hour drive to my grandaughter's birthday party. I am bringing lost of baked goodies, but also a large veggie tray & my own homemade low calorie dip. So I have an alternative to snack on. I also have a potluck dinner for our bowling league season ending party. So I will have to pick wisely for that. There is usually a veggie tray or 2 at these & Chicken. I will just have to save up my calories for that night!! I always bring a case of water bottles to make sure I get my water in while I am away too.

Josie,

I think you are being very smart by planning head for the events you are attending. It is times like these that a lot of us just throw up our hands and think, oh what the heck, I am going to just eat all this good stuff and deal with it later. The bad part about that is it can lead us into a downward spiral of over eating and gaining back what we have lost.

It sounds like you have a nice, active life, friends and family. Won't you feel great when you go to your grandchilds next birthday much slimmer:happy:
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Since DH works nights, I only have to worry about my dinner and how many calories one portion is. Tonight I'm having tilapia, grilled zucchini, artichoke hearts in water and a salad ( just lettuce). Got half way through and the phone rang, while texting friend realized that I'm full. I'll eat the rest later as my night snack and save the night snack I had planned for tomorrow. Extra calories saved! Tigress
  • arlene1122
    Options
    I am fairly new here (4 days) and am still finding my way around, but I would be interested in joining this group. I am 56 and ideally would like to lose 130 lbs. so a long road ahead of me. I, like most have done the lose weight/gain it back and then some far to many times, trying every new diet under the sun and then always returning to old habits. This time I am taking a very old and traditional approach which oddly I have never done before and that is simply calorie restriction. I know myself well enough to know that I am an emotional eater and a stress eater. I know that those are things I need to work with because they are a part of my nature. I also know that I will only stick to eating foods I don't like and give up foods I do like for a short period of time before going off the rails, so no more following the next fad.
    I have decided to try to incorporate changes in my life 21 days at a time (the time it is supposed to take to make or break a habit). For the first 21 days it is pretty basic. 1550 calories a day and a conscious effort to move more. IE: getting up from my desk at work at least once and hour, parking in the far parking lot at work, etc. I know these seem like small things, but when I go for the big drastic changes I never stick to them.
    I do think tracking my meals will be a useful tool, again something I have never taken the time to do before. It helps me to stay conscious to what I am eating and accountable as well. Looking forward to reading this thread and sharing this experience with others who are in the same point in life.
  • scubaruby
    scubaruby Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Just came back to MFP today, saw this thread, and read the whole thing. I'd like to join so maybe y'all can keep me from falling off the wagon, again.

I'm 57 and 75 lb would get me to a perfect weight, though I'm not sure I could maintain that weight for the long haul. I'd be satisfied with losing 65. I've been yoyoing my entire adult life and it's got to stop. I'm signed up to run/walk a half marathon in November so that is motivating me to lose some pounds and start walking.

I'm a vegan (yes there are fat vegans!), a scuba diver for 30+ years (go for it Bettyjo!), and a bike commuter when the weather warms up. So far I don't have a lot of weight-related health issues except for the pains related to just being out of shape. I wish losing weight would fix all my trigger fingers!

I look forward to facing this journey with all of you.
  • JosieMomGramma
    Options
    Hi Ladies: Well it is wed. & I have been running around with last minute errands, banking, fill my car with gas, sending off a gift to my aunt, getting some pictures off my camera developed & inlargened to give to my 2 sisters I am meeting for tea tomorrow down on the coast,etc. I put together a huge tray of goodies & chopped up some veggies for the grandaughters birthday party. It is late tomorrow night as they have rented a whole fun filled place for the kids called "Funky Monkeys". Tomorrow will be even busier for me. I will drive down 3 hrs to do some shopping, for a gift certificate for my daughter, her birthday is April 8th. & we will be on holidays then; some more groceries for the party. Then go to my daughters help her make up a fruit tray etc. Then my sister who is next in line to me is meeting me there & then we are driving to another sister's home for tea just before 2pm. After tea back to my daughters to help out some more than to the party at 7pm. There are going to be 30 adults & 28 kids, Yikes!! Will be a wild night. Then after breakfast sometime I will go get just a few more groceries for us a some last minute clothes for my hubby for our holidays. It was my hubbies birthday today, so I made him steak & pan fried oysters , his favorite seafood. We had ceasar salad with light dressing & french bread. He really enjoyed it. I did not make a birthday cake as I usually do, as his workplace made him a black forest cake & I knew ahead of time that they were going to do that. I did not go as I was just to busy. But he loved it. And thankfully did not bring the left overs home, lol. Well I will be gone for the next 2 days so hope you all enjoy your days ahead, keep drinking your water & being aware of what passes your lips, lol. I will pop in in the evenings as I will bring my tablet with me.

dawnbmoore: Welcome to the group. So look forward to hearing more from you on your path to a healthier lifestyle & diet. Thanks for sharing it is so inspiring to hear how you are approaching your food choices & upcoming exercise. Would love to see a picture of you, I think seeing the person you are sharing with makes it so much more personal!

Betty: Thanks for your encouraging words!

arlene1122: Welcome to the group. i love your new approach to your weight loss journey! 21 days @ a time sounds good! It is better to take baby steps, then to jump into something you know you can't stick with; good for you!

Scubaruby: Welcome. Love your determination by signing up for a marathon, that is gutsy & awesome! You go girl!! We look forward to hearing more from you & sharing & supporting each other.
  • Karolsccc
    Karolsccc Posts: 46
    Options
    hi everyone
    i am karol and live in northern Ontario. I have been hiding and not really caring about myself for a while now. I woke up one morning and thought i wanted to be around for awhile so I better get myself in shape. I started off needing to lose 100 pounds and never weighed myself for years. I have lost 13 pounds since February. we have a biggest loser at work until the end of May and something turned on in my head and hooked up to mfp. I like it. I have my treadmill in my living room and work on going on it at least 5 times a week. a lightbulb came on where I have given myself permission to eat healthy and really work on the emotional binge eating. and each day say - I am doing okay -
    I have expected perfection so much in my life and good lord, it is time to know I am doing the best I can and that is a good thing.
    I am 60, divorced, work hard, don't play so hard anymore but liking myself right now. I have a 26 yr old daughter and I think sometimes we love each other too much. lol kidding! we are very close. Her boyfriend and herself are body builders! They have actually taught me a lot. I love lifting weights but have not got enough nerve yet to go back to the gym. I will..soon. ;0)

Hope to get to know all of you through this thread. What I want is to feel good about myself and healthy enough to enjoy a bit of fun and have a good laugh every day. Take care ladies
  • LauraJayne8digs
    LauraJayne8digs Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Tonight was DH's birthday and I made him steak, mashed potato's and asparagus with hollandaise sauce. I had grilled chicken, couscous and asparagus (minus the hollandaise). I mostly wanted his mashed potato's, but I managed. Then everyone had Birthday cake made of cheesecake, choc mousse and chocolate cake all combined in one cake. I had a weight watchers mini pop, but I did lick the serving knife. I made them put the cake in the basement fridge, so that I don't have to look at it every time I open the fridge.
  • arlene1122
    Options
    Thank you for allowing me to join! I really like some of the features on MFP. It's funny how such a simple thing as seeing you are below calories for the day or adding a cup of water and feeling challenged (in a good way) to make it to 8 can feel so empowering. I think this might just be the kind of motivation I need.
  • Yardtigress
    Options
    Welcome all new folks!
  • bettyjoburdett
    bettyjoburdett Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies, Isn't it funny how we all think alike in our mindset when it comes to food? We have to plan ahead, substitute bad food for good, worry about licking the knife we cut a cake, etc. I wonder how "normal" people just take food for granted and not go through all the worry? My life seems consummed with thoughts of food.

I have been unable to go to my gym because of some family health issues so yesterday I just turned on some oldies music and danced and danced. I did 10 minutes and then 25 minutes. It was fun! I had exercized with Jane Fonda (her younger days) and could hardly walk the next day, the woman is super human! I'd like to see her do all that now!

I did so so on calories. I was fine until midnight.........................but...........got up, sneaked into the kitchen and ate a 1/2 piece of pie, handful of chips and a piece of chicken, go figure.... I take a sleeping aid and used to get up and eat and not remember, but its been a long time since I have done that. I think maybe a little stress going on is maybe bringing it on.

I am going to count those calories for todays count. I need to be accountable and for me this is the best way. Hey, I drank 6 glasses of water yesterday! OK they are only juice glass size but for me its better than nothing:ohwell:
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    That's funny about banishing the cheesecake to the basement fridge, Laura. I'm curious why you didn't have steak and potatoes with your DH though. I love potatoes more than couscous! LOL
  • steppingstones
    steppingstones Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Starting my day with MFP and my breakfast smoothie.. Yesterday washed and prepped all the veggies I bought.. Put each in a plastic bag with all the air squeezed out. I am ready for some great salads.

I , too, wondered why , Laura, opted out of the steak and potatoes. Thought it was about portion control. I also love potatoes more than couscous.

BettyJo loved your exercise....saw Jane Fonda recently, she looks amazing.

Rainy day, I woke up and did 45 minutes of exercise and planned my menu. Feel like I am off to a good start. I am hopeful the cheating monster stays away.

Good day everyone.
  • scubaruby
    scubaruby Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I would rather starve than eat couscous! :-)

So far so good today, have to go home and cook now that I'm not eating processed stuff. That's always a challenge. This weekend will be a marathon cooking and freezing session.

Hoping to get the dogs out for separate walks this evening since the weather is nice. Gotta get this old body moving again.
  • kinnurse0754
    kinnurse0754 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Good Evening Ladies, Wow, lots of new people have joined our group this week. Welcome to all of you. Well my week off is coming to an end and my posts will be coming in the middle of the night again. I'm a full time night shift nurse and usually the only chance I get to post is on my break around 1 in the morning. This w/e I work 3 nights (7:30 pm to 7:30 am). Retirement is still about 5 years away and each year gets harder. I've worked nights for almost 20 years and I wonder if its one of the reasons it was so easy for me to gain weight without really realizing how much I was gaining. I used to just throw whatever I had in the house into my lunch bag and then buy snacks on top of it.
    After joining MFP 2 years ago. I became more aware of what I was eating. Now I pack a salad, fruit and then a couple of low cal snacks, like, special K bars or 100 cal cookie packs. I try not to eat everything all at once but eat the snack foods through the night otherwise I eat too much when I get home in the morning. Thankfully, I love water and drink about 2 litres through the night. My biggest problem is on my days off. I have a hard time switching to a daytime routine and eating at normal times. Its really hard on the system and screws up the weight loss rhythm. If there are any other night shift people here I'd love to know how you cope with the time shifting.
    I've got to get out tomorrow morning and get some groceries for the w/e. Hope everyone is planning out their menu's for the w/e and making sure they have some good choices I the house. There is nothing worse than running out of healthy food and trying to make due with what you've got left over. Its a sure bet, you'll choose poorly. I know I always do. Have a great w/e ladies.
  • karenleona
    karenleona Posts: 3,959 Member
    Options
    going off the grid for a while. Be back in a month or so but will be lurking occasionally
  • JosieMomGramma
    Options
    Just popping in to read your posts, has been a very tiring day , lots of driving, visiting & shopping! I am pooped! Going to bed then up tomorrow to breakfast with my daughter , a bit morning shopping & drive 3 hrs. Home.
    Aww Karen I will miss you !! Take care of yourself!
  • Yardtigress
    Options
    Kinnurse-DH works night and has for18 years he does change his shedule, well slightly on the w/e. I just end up eating later than usual or eat before him. Tigress