My husband hates healthy food...help?!?

Options

Replies

• judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    When I cook for myself and boyfriend I make mine a healthier version of whatever the food is. Like if it's chicken parm I bread & I fry his and just sautée mine with Pam and put less cheese on my piece. You don't have to make two completely different meals but yeah you might have to spend a little more time on it if you are serious about eating healthier.

I think this is the most sensible idea. You should be able to cook one meal, and set aside your veggies or meat, then put cheese or butter or sauce on his and less or none on yours.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with fat and pasta? Also, the difference between "whole grain" bread and "non-whole grain" bread is mostly marketing.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Ok so my wonderful husband has a super high metabolism & can eat anything without gaining weight.

This is nonsense. It is what overweight people say when they look at someone of a healthy weight munching on a burger.

People who can eat anything without gaining weight - these people dont exist.
    Oh bullspit. We all have a friend that can pound the crappiest food and their waistline don't show it. I have a skinny friend that can eat my under the table. We used to go to Mcdo when we were younger, and this guy would get 2 large fries, dessert and 2 sandwiches. He still eats this way well into his 30's, still skinny as a rail. His brother is more like me, eat a little bit and blimp up.

Personally, I feel lucky that i have a body that gains easily. That has forced me to learn about health, and correct my poor eating habits.

Bullspit? You need to look closer to home. I dont have any friends who could eat piles of junk without adding weight, and if I asked my mates the same question, they would stay the same. I was doing it for a while, and I only went one way.

Metabolism varies to relatively minor detail and never to the extent that one person becomes overweight from eating salads where as his mate gorges on burgers and ice cream and stays thin. This is just sour grapes and frustration from people who cant lose weight so blame metabolism rather than themselves for lack of weight loss.

Growing up my brother and sister ate whatever they wanted and never gained any weight. Instead I gained all their weight and my weight... My nephew is 16 and hasn't gained an ounce, he's skin and bones.

My brother continued eating what he wanted and not gaining weight until he was about 25-30 years old. My sister is still as rail thin as ever, though I know she has to work at it.

I do have a couple adult friends in their 30s and 40s and they eat what they want and I have never seen them getting bigger. So it can happen. It's rare, and few and far between, but it can happen. Just because you don't know anyone doesn't mean it's not true.

They all have to work at it. Metabolism differences are based on activity levels. People that "can eat whatever and not gain" do one of two things. They eat huge meals at once, and then nothing or very little the rest of the day, or they are very active in general.

There are no magic people that can sit on the couch all day stuffing themselves with a conveyor belt of food.
  • Pammie1000
    Pammie1000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I've been away from this site for a while.... when did everyone get so Mean???? The OP is looking for solutions and support here isn't that what we are supposed to be about???? Her husband works hard and she does the cooking, she's looking for a solution that is workable long term. Ya'll quit smarting off and help!
  • ercaface
    ercaface Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Make him go have his mommy cook for him and you can continue to eat healthy without the added challenge of a picky manchild not wanting to eat his veggies.

Amen!
  • MrJThomasEsq
    MrJThomasEsq Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Ok so my wonderful husband has a super high metabolism & can eat anything without gaining weight.

This is nonsense. It is what overweight people say when they look at someone of a healthy weight munching on a burger.

Oh bullspit. We all have a friend that can pound the crappiest food and their waistline don't show it. I have a skinny friend that can eat my under the table. We used to go to Mcdo when we were younger, and this guy would get 2 large fries, dessert and 2 sandwiches. He still eats this way well into his 30's, still skinny as a rail. His brother is more like me, eat a little bit and blimp up.

Personally, I feel lucky that i have a body that gains easily. That has forced me to learn about health, and correct my poor eating habits.

Cold showers work for me sometimes, but I generally prefer a more "battery-centric" method of relief. IYKWIM. :wink:

jack_hammer5.jpg

Not sure what that is, but I think I want one!! Is there a version that runs on diesel?? :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

:laugh:
    Does it have an electric starter or do you have to kickstart it?
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options

Bullspit? You need to look closer to home. I dont have any friends who could eat piles of junk without adding weight, and if I asked my mates the same question, they would stay the same. I was doing it for a while, and I only went one way.

Metabolism varies to relatively minor detail and never to the extent that one person becomes overweight from eating salads where as his mate gorges on burgers and ice cream and stays thin. This is just sour grapes and frustration from people who cant lose weight so blame metabolism rather than themselves for lack of weight loss.

Growing up my brother and sister ate whatever they wanted and never gained any weight. Instead I gained all their weight and my weight... My nephew is 16 and hasn't gained an ounce, he's skin and bones.

My brother continued eating what he wanted and not gaining weight until he was about 25-30 years old. My sister is still as rail thin as ever, though I know she has to work at it.

I do have a couple adult friends in their 30s and 40s and they eat what they want and I have never seen them getting bigger. So it can happen. It's rare, and few and far between, but it can happen. Just because you don't know anyone doesn't mean it's not true.

It isnt true, and that isnt just because I dont know anybody. What we are suggesting here is that these people require an abnormal amount of calories to maintain weight... or.. by eating somewhere between 2,000-3,000 per day, they would become dangerously underweight or anorexic. I have never heard of such a case. These people do not exist without signicant exercise countering their calorie intake.

Generally, people who carry more weight have a higher metabolism anyway.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

Cold showers work for me sometimes, but I generally prefer a more "battery-centric" method of relief. IYKWIM. :wink:

jack_hammer5.jpg

Not sure what that is, but I think I want one!! Is there a version that runs on diesel?? :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

I dunno, but my birthday is in July... js... :smile:
  • MrJThomasEsq
    MrJThomasEsq Posts: 141 Member
    Options

jack_hammer5.jpg

I dunno, but my birthday is in July... js... :smile:
    Always wear a helmt when you ride!
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    It is just my hubby and I also. I cook what I am going to cook. He either eats it, or he forages for his own. I always ask him what he wants when I go to the store and I buy him what he asks for. I tell him "this is what I am cooking for dinner...do you want any of that or are you going to do your own thing" and he will decide. Sometimes he will eat part of what I cooked and just have a side of rice with it. I buy single serve rice portions for him to use. Sometimes he decided to forage for his own. He is addicted to Lunchables (eww) and will eat them when he doesnt want what I fixed. I want him to be healthy and make good choices, but I figure I am not his mother and he is a big boy. He can feed himself if he needs to. Sometimes he actually even has what I make :smile: Last night he ate the salmon and fresh green beans I made! *win*
  • S_Murphree
    Options

Not true. I have a husband is the same way..
  • S_Murphree
    Options
    Some of you had wonderful suggestions but "some" of you are just freaking jerks. Seriously!!!!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

I bet he moves more than you
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options

False.

Your husband probably has a more active job. It's not his magic metabolism.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I too am blessed with an active husband who could happily eat a quarter-cow and a loaf of bread smothered in butter at a sitting. We've had good luck finding Cooking Light (CookingLight.com) versions of comfort foods we both love without all the fat and calories but with most of the yum factor. He gets bigger portions and more bread. I get salads the size of mixing bowls and the lion's share of the veggies. Lots of dishes to wash, but we're both content. And sshhh... but he's actually losing some weight himself.

Thank you for recognizing why your husband can eat more food and not gain weight instead of claiming he just has a better/faster metabolism. And great ideas for a good compromise too.
  • carebutler
    carebutler Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree with the Cauliflower and spinach lasagna!!! Great ways to "hide" really healthy foods. My family didn't even know that they were not eating potatoes!! Roasted veggies are good too. Stuff chicken breasts with healthy foods too. ex: spinach and cheese
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I'd cook the same things but just separate stuff when it comes to the addition of butter on his veg etc. Could try baking stuff instead of frying - worked for my hubby. He hasn't really noticed dry roast potatoes or parsnips - just as long as he has something that looks like traditional roast spuds and are crispy he's happy. You can oven bake crispy chicken -leaving the coating off your if you prefer to save calories. Get that imagination working!

I have to add, if I told my hubby to cook his own meals - he's tell me to fix my own car/roof/plumbing etc. Division of labour is how a lot of marriages work - as long as it's an equal share.

If he was on board with your weight loss he would want to support you as far as possible - just make sure you give him something he likes most of the time.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Just because you want to change the way you eat, doesn't mean he has too.

I'm not trying to change the way he eats, I just don't want to have to cook two separate meals every night. If we had kids I wouldn't mind cooking one meal for them & something small for me but it's just the two of us & that seems a little ridiculous. I'm just trying to find a way to compromise that will still keep him happy & satisfied without making me continue to gain weight.

Who pays the bills?

Is dinner your job?

If it's your job to cook a good dinner, then cook for him like you always have, and make separate stuff (or alter what of the dinner you eat to fit your macros).

If you're both working then eat separate.

I feel sorry for couples who fight over dinner, that's supposed to be a really enjoyable time, and you're the one making changes and upsetting him.
  • snappyapples
    Options
    Oh jeesh guys. In the 4 years hubs and I have been together, he can eat whatever the hell he pleases and the scale fluctuates from 180 to 190. He doesn't work out and has a computer job. He was a Marine and played football in high school, and he still eats like he's 17. THE SCALE DOESN'T MOVE!!!! I, however, look at cake and my *kitten* grows. It's true, but I'm sure when we're 40 he'll balloon up, however right now at his ripe old age of 27, he looks BOMB and puts no effort into it. And seriously, when he decides to work out, he'll do like 20 push ups and a few pull ups and BAM his arm definition is amazing. The man is blessed with the most responsive body ever.

He also has a southern up bringing believing that dinner needs to be meat, potato, a small serving of (canned) green beans, and a loaf of bread. However I broke him of that one really quickly, and he eats anything now. Seriously, from what hubs has told me, he didn't have most fresh fruits/vegetables until I introduced him to them, and now he LOVES most of them (except asparagus). So, I don't know if that's common in the south, or just in his family, but try coaxing him to at least try some of them. He might like them and not know it cuz he's never had it :).

To help OP: Try "whole grain whites". Trader joes has one, I think Aunt Millie's Healthy goodness that my mom buys for my little sister. It has the taste and feel of white bread but its made with whole grains. It's 50 calories a slices, so it's actually lower cal than most whole grain breads :). And it's really yummy. I tried some this weekend and it was delicious.
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm a b*tch, but my rule is, if you don't like what I cook, you can cook your own shi t.

I salute you! Hahaha :drinker:

Here's my two cents: My husband, when I first met him, was pretty much a bacon cheeseburger, french fry, pizza and soda guy.
    I think the reason he ate like this was the way vegetables were presented to him by his mother.
    You have to make these "healthy" things appetizing.

Like a whole plain sweet potato may not go over well but spicy oven sweet potato fries might.
    Or raw baby spinach instead of cooked. Or vice versa. Like I started shredding raw carrot alongside the cheese I would put in my hubs spinach salads and he actually enjoys it. If carrots are by themselves he won't eat them, but with something accompanying it he eats it no problem.
    Also It could be a texture issue over a health/non healthy issue.

So now that I've been the main chef for 10+ years, he'll eat just about anything I put in front of him....haha.

Good luck to you! :happy: